PDA

View Full Version : Computer Rankings...

soonercastor
10/10/2010, 07:16 PM
could very well make BSU #1 next week even if tOSU wins, and they obviously have an easier schedule than the other contenders and could very well be locked in for one of those two spots. Yeah they have that game against Nevada but still. here is a look at 5 of the 6 computer components

Colley Rankings (http://www.colleyrankings.com/)
1.LSU
2. OU
3. TCU
4. Auburn
5. Boise
Massey (http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf)
1. OU
2. Boise
3. LSU
4. TCU
5. Missouri :eek: tOSU is 19th here
Sagarin (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt10.htm)
1. BSU
2. TCU
3. OU
4. Oregon
5. MSU ... tOSU is 23rd here
Billingsley (http://www.cfrc.com/Ratings_2010/WK_6.htm)
1. LSU
2. BSU
3. Alabama
4. TCU
5. OU
Anderson and Hester (http://www.andersonsports.com/football/ACF_frnk.html)
still waiting...

Peter Wolfe poll does not come until next week, and the Harris and Hester computer poll should be out anytime now; it had OSU ranked 16th last week. Remember they drop lowest and highest for each team. You can click on each link to see the expanded rankings.

I know its too early and still lost of football but still interesting :D

JLEW1818
10/10/2010, 07:18 PM
hell we pulled it off in 2008 :D

we got this if we win out

cdlbdd
10/10/2010, 07:22 PM
could very well make BSU #1 next week even if tOSU wins, and they obviously have an easier schedule than the other contenders

I assume the "they" you refer to is BSU.

I think this is why they (BSU) will drop in the computer rankings as the season progresses.

soonercastor
10/10/2010, 07:24 PM
I assume the "they" you refer to is BSU.

I think this is why they (BSU) will drop in the computer rankings as the season progresses.

maybe, but slightly; the computers love Nevada. And yes "they" was referring to Boise :rolleyes:

JLEW1818
10/10/2010, 07:25 PM
they are doing a pre-BCS show on ESPN right now.

Scott D
10/10/2010, 07:26 PM
maybe, but slightly; the computers love Nevada. And yes "they" was referring to Boise :rolleyes:

Nevada love will likely be temporary.

tommieharris91
10/10/2010, 07:28 PM
Boise has a lot of ground to make up with the comps. Their schedule isn't gonna help em either.

JLEW1818
10/10/2010, 07:29 PM
for real... and some people think that if Nevada keeps winning it somehow helps Oklahoma???

sure it would be nice for them to upset Boise.... but we don't want Nevada ranked at anytime.

Scott D
10/10/2010, 07:29 PM
Comps like them right now....primarily because of Oregon St. beating Arizona.

GKeeper316
10/10/2010, 07:30 PM
by the end of the season, boise's limp-dick conference schedule should bite em in the ***. same with tcu.

tommieharris91
10/10/2010, 07:31 PM
Comps like them right now....primarily because of Oregon St. beating Arizona.

Sagarin is beating off to Oregon State like they're pr0n.

soonercastor
10/10/2010, 07:40 PM
Mark May ripping Boise State on ESPN

Scott D
10/10/2010, 07:43 PM
Mark May ripping Boise State on ESPN

it's not a surprise, Boise has made their name on two things. One, playing middle of the pack BCS conference teams and winning, and the Fiesta Bowl against OU. It's always easier to prepare for a 2 game season than a tough 8-9 game conference schedule.

Crucifax Autumn
10/10/2010, 08:46 PM
If we win out, we're in for ****'s sake. Everyone acts like the BCS is some super complicated formula, but by way of moving up in the coaches poll, coming in at 6 in the just released Harris poll (with 2 first place votes already) and the fact that the computers like us a lot more than some of our biggest "competitors" for the top 2 spots and the fact that we will play one of them in the CCG we are IN. It's not that hard, but then there was a thread on the SO that clearly showed that a lot of us just don't "get" math. Trust me, we win and we're in.

sooner KB
10/10/2010, 08:53 PM
So... LSU will definitely go to the title game if they win out (not that they will), since their strength of schedule will skyrocket. Same with Auburn (not that they will win out). Oregon's will go up a little, if Arizona, Stanford, and Oregon State continue to win.

I can't see TCU's SOS getting much stronger, though Air Force and Utah are currently ranked, so I suppose it would go up slightly if those two teams continued to win a lot of games. (Man, AF beating TCU would be fabulous.)

Boise State's SOS won't get much stronger either, though it will get a boost when (if) they beat Nevada.

OU's strength of schedule will obviously continue to get better as (if) we beat Mizzou and Oklahoma State, but those two teams will drop out of the top 25 after losses, and an Air Force loss to TCU would hurt us. Oklahoma State and Nebraska being undefeated (with OSU's one loss to OU) when we play them would be a huge boost. (Not very likely with OSU). Obviously we need FSU to keep winning.

It looks like Ohio State's strength of schedule is the worst out of all the teams previously mentioned. And Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan are only sub-top 25 teams that will drop from the polls when they lose to OSU and drop a couple others.

So... if OU or Nebraska wins out they probably make it in. Assuming LSU and Auburn both drop at least one game, that leaves Oregon, TCU, BSU, and OSU. It seems like Oregon's SOS will be better than the other 3 after the season. But what if Oregon drops a game? OSU, being highly rated in the Coaches Poll (still half of the BCS rankings, right?) would probably go above BSU. But then, if the computers continue to rank OSU so low and if the Coaches Poll put Boise right behind OSU, would Boise back in over Ohio State, even though OSU is ranked #1 in the AP and Coaches?

Are we looking at Boise State vs. OU/Nebraska or Oregon (if neither OU or Neb is undefeated)? What if neither OU, Neb, Ohio State, or Oregon go undefeated and the title game is Boise State vs. TCU ? ! ? ! ?

I'm probably in way over my head as I don't totally understand how the computers work. Sorry about the rambling.

What if OU went undefeated and then lost a close one to Nebraska, who had just lost in a nailbiter in Stillwater? Now lets say Nebraska beat up on a team in a BCS bowl, and we pound Oregon in the Holiday bowl. Lets say the title game is between TCU vs. Boise State. One of those teams wins in a nailbiter. Can you imagine the outrage?

MyT Oklahoma
10/10/2010, 09:00 PM
Just win baby win.

OU_Sooners75
10/10/2010, 09:16 PM
All we can do is win. We can only control what we do. We win then we have an argument. We lose then we can just hope for a big 12 championship and bcs bowl.

We cannot control the pollsters.

Dan Thompson
10/10/2010, 09:19 PM
It looks like a good time to start running up the score.

Crucifax Autumn
10/10/2010, 09:39 PM
Don't forget the BCS drops the high and low computer rankings when figuring the teams' average computer rankings.

And I believe only one of the computers factors margin of error into the formula directly. Lopsided scores actually effect humans more than computers.

C&CDean
10/10/2010, 09:45 PM
All I've ever said is "win." Period. We win, we're in. All you "Oregon's gotta... OSU's gotta... Alabama's gottta... whoever's gotta...

Who gives a ****? OU's gotta win. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. All the other **** is ****.

Crucifax Autumn
10/10/2010, 09:53 PM
Yep.

Scott D
10/11/2010, 03:13 PM
Boise State is that guy who makes up his own reputation as a ladies man, and when you mention him to a girl he dated, she says he has a habit of premature getting off while she's laughing at him.