PDA

View Full Version : If Mark Clayton is out for any extended period of time...

kelloggOUballa
10/10/2010, 03:04 PM
Sam's receivers < Landry's receivers. I don't even think that's a reach, even though those other guys are "NFL receivers". Wish Sam had a little help!

For those who haven't heard, MC left the game in the first quarter with a right knee injury. :(

KantoSooner
10/10/2010, 03:18 PM
That's not too controversial a statement in my opinion.

I'm pretty happy with the progress our receivers have made. One item that simply must be continued is the inclusion of TE's and RB's out of the backfield. It makes stopping our pass orders of magnitude harder to stop.

kelloggOUballa
10/10/2010, 03:27 PM
I agree, 100%. And that was in no way disrespecting our receivers, more a compliment that they could be considered a better group than an NFL receiver corps. But also, a note on how bad the Rams receivers are. When Danny Amendola is your leading receiver, you're in big trouble.

bluedogok
10/10/2010, 03:32 PM
Their only hope would be to pick up a free agent nopt with anyone, I doubt there would be much trade opportunity and a Vincent Jackson can be kind of a cancer for a young team. Maybe some ex-OU receivers could get a shot for the rest of the season.....

soonercastor
10/10/2010, 03:49 PM
Sam's receivers < Landry's receivers. I don't even think that's a reach

relatively yes, but absolutely no.

badger
10/10/2010, 04:01 PM
Man, if those guys like collecting their hefty paychecks and not working a regular 9-5 job or worse, they better put in overtime working with Sammie during the week. It's the reason Mark catches the passes thrown his way most of the time - because he's been working with Sam since before Sam was pro!

I can definitely see them cleaning house in the offseason or sooner if these guys continue dropping passes thrown directly at them. Bawww, is Sammie throwing the ball too hard and hurting your little fingers? :mad:

SoonerNation20
10/10/2010, 11:05 PM
A friend of mine has known Mark since grade school. When Mark left the game with an injury earlier, I told my friend Corey about it. Corey called him a little later to see how he was doing. I guess Mark called him gay for checking on him (lol), and said it's nothing serious.. So, let's hope he gets back soon. Looked like he was going to have a career year, and without him, Sam is really limited.

Sooner74
10/10/2010, 11:07 PM
I have a quick question. Can players leave mid-season in college for the NFL if they qualify? From my opinion, no player would do this because of a smaller paycheck, but is it possible?

sooner59
10/11/2010, 12:33 AM
I have a quick question. Can players leave mid-season in college for the NFL if they qualify? From my opinion, no player would do this because of a smaller paycheck, but is it possible?

I have never heard of this happening. I would say absolutely no.

Collier11
10/11/2010, 12:34 AM
Clayton is donezo :(

Collier11
10/11/2010, 12:35 AM
A friend of mine has known Mark since grade school. When Mark left the game with an injury earlier, I told my friend Corey about it. Corey called him a little later to see how he was doing. I guess Mark called him gay for checking on him (lol), and said it's nothing serious.. So, let's hope he gets back soon. Looked like he was going to have a career year, and without him, Sam is really limited.

They must not be too good of friends, Clayton said he is out for the year apparently

sooner59
10/11/2010, 12:35 AM
Clayton is donezo :(

What is the diagnosis?

Collier11
10/11/2010, 12:37 AM
Not certain, one of the Rams beat writers tweeted that Clayton said personally he is out for the year...all I know so far

sooner59
10/11/2010, 12:40 AM
Not certain, one of the Rams beat writers tweeted that Clayton said personally he is out for the year...all I know so far

Collier11
10/11/2010, 12:41 AM
Yep, he was on pace to have a career year and he was really helping SB...dammit

Leroy Lizard
10/11/2010, 01:04 AM

Ask him if he knows Jari Askins.

Leroy Lizard
10/11/2010, 01:08 AM
They must not be too good of friends, Clayton said he is out for the year apparently

LOL!

StoopTroup
10/11/2010, 05:59 AM
The idea that Bob Stoops and the Rams Organization would work together to assist the Rams and their newly acquired Rookie QB is ludicrous to say the least.

I know of no NFL Team that would or could possibly think that a Coach at the College level would be the person they would need to turn to for answers. It would be totally beneath them and not only that....any NFL owner that thought this was the way his well paid Coaching staff was turning for answers would probably be fired by Monday morning.

StoopTroup
10/11/2010, 06:09 AM
The other side of this is....Bob and the Sooners are 5-0 right now and are on track to continue to be undefeated with a win over ISU. How long before the Monster and the University would be all over Stoops for cutting loose a few of his players to the Rams to help them possibly win 3 or 4 more games this year. The Rams don't have a shot at even going to the Super Bowl anyway. Stoops still has the possibility of putting it all together and bring Home number 8 to Norman.

The ideas that are being thrown around in here boggle the mind. Like 59 said....there's no way a College player would be allowed to jump to the NFL in mid-season at the College level anyway. If it did happen....the Rams Coaching staff would look so desperate that it would even make Sam's position as a NFL Caliber QB (which he is BTW) look like it was a joke to ever even consider paying him the money they did and drafting him number one.

Sometimes these threads are so full of dooshbaggery that I feel compelled to chime in with WTF are you talking about.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/11/2010, 07:00 AM

Nope, you have to go through the draft. otherwise, hijinks ensue.

texaspokieokie
10/11/2010, 08:35 AM
maybe the rams & Sooners could make a trade.

stoopified
10/11/2010, 11:47 AM
Without Clayton Sam is in hot water.

Boomer.....
10/11/2010, 11:58 AM
Clayton is out for the season.

:(

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5673007

OK2U
10/11/2010, 12:02 PM
sh*t

MojoRisen
10/11/2010, 12:06 PM
Hope he is able to come back! Class act, he was stepping up big as an #1 guy.

starclassic tama
10/11/2010, 02:30 PM
yeah that really kills an already below average receiving corps... hopefully they can draft a receiver or pick somebody up in the offseason this year to help out sam the man

CrimsonRez
10/11/2010, 04:40 PM
torn Patellar Tendon? sounds like that would be uncomfortable...

Blue
10/11/2010, 05:07 PM
They have a chance to win that crappy division. They should be on the phone looking for some wrs.

SoonerNation20
10/11/2010, 05:11 PM

Yeah, well this was literally within an hour of getting into the locker room. Hadn't ran any tests or anything yet, and his exact quote was 'i dont think it is season ending but i'm not sure. It's in Gods hands'.. Guess God isn't a fan of the Rams.

badger
10/11/2010, 05:18 PM
It's all in Steven Jackson's hands now... rushing and receiving. At least when Sammie threw it to Steven he would catch the d@mn ball.

College receivers are allowed to drop the ball... some of the time. In the NFL, it just isn't expected... or permitted. They need to stack up all of the scrub receivers they can during the offseason and see which of them wants to be in the league. Don't both drafting a first round receiver, as most of them - with mark clayton-like exceptions - are overpaid prima donas that never pan out.

yermom
10/11/2010, 05:22 PM
this blows.

BillyBall
10/11/2010, 05:49 PM
This is when the Rams need to bring in a sure handed receiver. I think Adron Tennell is still available.

C&CDean
10/11/2010, 07:41 PM
College receivers are allowed to drop the ball... some of the time. In the NFL, it just isn't expected... or permitted.

I guess you've never seen TFRW play ball? I swear to God, he's dropped more than he's caught and there here is, bigger than mother ****ing Dallas playing in mother ****ing Dallas. Meh.

Soonerfan88
10/11/2010, 08:52 PM
College receivers are allowed to drop the ball... some of the time. In the NFL, it just isn't expected... or permitted.

Obviously, no one told Dwayne Bowe. Hard to believe, but I think he is even worse than TFRW. :eek:

Eielson
10/11/2010, 10:58 PM
Clayton is out for the season.

:(

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5673007

Yeah. That's what it's like to be a Rams fan. Donnie Avery, our best receiver, went down before the season even started. Then we trade for Clayton, and he goes down too. :(

Aries
10/12/2010, 07:41 AM
The Rams will activate Danario Alexander (Missouri) from the practice squad. They also get a couple of tight ends back who have been out with injuries... say they will go with that.

Everyone say a little prayer for the Rams....

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/article_b9d34483-3b7d-541f-afeb-8dbd5b9220e7.html

BY JIM THOMAS | [email protected] > 314-340-8197 www.STLtoday.com Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:30 am

Just as quickly as Mark Clayton developed into the Rams' go-to receiver, the team must now find other options to replace the 5½ catches and 75 yards that he averaged in his first four games.

Clayton is out for the season after suffering a torn patellar tendon in his right knee in the first quarter of Sunday's 44-6 loss to Detroit. Over the short term, the Rams must find more production from within the roster.

The promotion of former University of Missouri wide receiver Danario Alexander to the active roster from the practice squad, which should become official today, may pay big dividends in the long run. But over the short term, Alexander may not have much of an impact as he continues to work his way back to health from left knee surgery last February.

Trades such as the one that brought a quality player (Clayton) to St. Louis for next to nothing don't happen very often in the NFL. And it's unrealistic to think that lightning could strike twice.

"Trades and all those things, it's great for fantasy football, but it doesn't always work," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "So you're always trying to develop the players that are in the program here, and Nolan (Cromwell) has been doing that with all these guys."

Cromwell, the Rams' wide receivers coach, is earning his money this year. Clayton is the third Rams wideout to go on injured reserve this season, joining Donnie Avery and undrafted rookie Dominique Curry — both of whom also suffered season-ending knee injuries.

Quarterback Sam Bradford quickly developed a chemistry with Clayton and Danny Amendola. Now that Clayton is out of the mix, some combination of Brandon Gibson, Mardy Gilyard and Laurent Robinson must step to the forefront.

"Mardy Gilyard has been getting more reps every game," Spagnuolo said. "He's been getting more touches, and he's been getting better. Brandon Gibson's getting better. Laurent Robinson is just coming off an injury (foot), so he's kind of fighting that.

"We certainly don't feel good about losing Mark because he made a lot of plays for us, but we're going to find a way to overcome that somehow."

Help in the passing game could also be on the way this week from the tight end position. Michael Hoomanawanui and Billy Bajema both said Monday they would be full-go in practice this week and barring any setbacks planned to play this Sunday against San Diego.

Bradford threw a lot to the tight ends during the preseason, and it looked like that would be an added wrinkle to the offense this season. But Hoomanawanui — who led the Rams in preseason catches (nine) and reception yards (139), and shared the team lead in touchdown catches (two) — suffered a high left ankle sprain early in the season opener against Arizona. The following week in Oakland, Billy Bajema suffered an MCL injury to his right knee.

That left Bradford with only one true pass-catching option at tight end in Daniel Fells. (Rookie Fendi Onobun, after playing just one season of college football, is still finding his way in the NFL.)

The original timetable for Hoomanawanui was a return before the Rams' bye week the first week of November. If he indeed ends up playing against San Diego, he'll be a couple of weeks ahead of schedule.

"The trainers have done a good job of getting me back a little earlier than expected," Hoomanawanui said Monday. "I'm a quick healer. So I'm excited to be out there this weekend."

Can he pick up where he left off in terms of chemistry with Bradford?

"That's the plan," he said. "With Mark going down, everyone has to step up. Not just me; not just the tight ends. So the receivers, tight ends, running backs, everyone's going to have to step up."

Meanwhile, Bajema was encouraged about his availability for San Diego after a running session Monday.

"I'm close," he said. "I should be out at practice on Wednesday. And if all goes well, I'm looking forward to getting back on the field (against the Chargers)."

Back at wide receiver, Gilyard is the most likely immediate replacement for Clayton in the starting lineup because he's most familiar with the position Clayton played — flanker. Gilyard said he has reached the point where he's fairly comfortable in the offense.

"All in all, I've pretty much grasped the concept of the offense," Gilyard said. "I don't have it all the way down — I'd be lying if I said I had it all the way down to the 'T.' Because it's a lot of stuff."

Gibson, who moved into the starting lineup at split end when Robinson was sidelined with a foot injury following the Oakland game, is still knocking off some rust after missing much of the spring practices as well as training camp with hamstring issues.

"My biggest thing is just getting out there and trying to work through the tough spots," Gibson said. "The dropped passes, and not separating (from defenders). That kind of stuff."

As for Alexander, atrophy in the leg muscles following surgery had the Rams concerned about bringing him along too quickly. But Alexander has worked hard to build up his leg and apparently is close enough to full strength to merit a promotion to the 53-man roster.

"He's excited about doing it," Spagnuolo said. "But the health of the player, to me, is important."

HBick
10/12/2010, 11:23 AM
Vincent Jackson

ouleaf
10/12/2010, 11:58 AM
Really tough to see Mark go down after such a great start. Hopefully he'll pick up right where he left off next season.

Aries
10/12/2010, 01:12 PM
Vincent Jackson

The Rams have already said they are not interested in Jackson.

Aries
10/12/2010, 01:18 PM
Really tough to see Mark go down after such a great start. Hopefully he'll pick up right where he left off next season.

I'm not certain but I'm thinking he is only signed for a year. I would love to see him back with the Rams, but with the injury history I have to wonder if they'll do that. Gotta believe they'll be looking for a WR early in the draft.

ouleaf
10/12/2010, 01:49 PM
I'm not certain but I'm thinking he is only signed for a year. I would love to see him back with the Rams, but with the injury history I have to wonder if they'll do that. Gotta believe they'll be looking for a WR early in the draft.

Your right, he signed his one year tender offer when he was back with the Ravens as a RFA, so he will be an UFA this offseason. I think the Rams would be smart to resign him unless he demands just a ridiculous sum of money. He hasn't put up the numbers to justify a big money contract yet. I'm thinking something along the lines of a 3 year $10MM or 4 year $14MM contract. Injury history means the Rams could low-ball on guaranteed money but hopefully his agent could negotiated some good performance incentives to earn some dough.

Rams need way more help in other areas than spending high draft picks on WRs.

Collier11
10/12/2010, 01:51 PM
He would be a GREAT #2 if he can stay healthy, their fans want AJ Green from what I have seen on the msg boards

Aries
10/12/2010, 02:22 PM
I think the Rams would be smart to resign him unless he demands just a ridiculous sum of money.

TOTALLY agree with this. I wouldn't think he would demand real high contract, and I've already heard the Rams will try to sign him again depending on how his knee rehabs.

Rams need way more help in other areas than spending high draft picks on WRs.

Totally disagree with this... they have quite a few needs, but none IMO greater than a deep threat true #1 receiver. I look for them to take a WR in first round if there is one that justifies wherever they pick, and I'll be stunned if they wait past the 2nd round. Possibly 2-3 WR's through out the draft, hoping there's a hidden gem in rounds 4-7.

Collier11
10/12/2010, 02:50 PM
The Rams really arent that far off, in that division anyway. To compete for a Super Bowl they are but playoffs, not too far

ouleaf
10/12/2010, 03:47 PM
Totally disagree with this... they have quite a few needs, but none IMO greater than a deep threat true #1 receiver. I look for them to take a WR in first round if there is one that justifies wherever they pick, and I'll be stunned if they wait past the 2nd round. Possibly 2-3 WR's through out the draft, hoping there's a hidden gem in rounds 4-7.

I'm still thinking they need quite a bit of help at LB, Safety, and the Guard spot. I'm not saying they don't need help at WR, but I feel like Sam is going to be the type of QB that will make his WRs better.

It all depends on who declares early this spring, and where the Rams fall to in the draft order, but I just feel like the trend lately is you can find talent at the WR spot in later rounds.

Aries
10/12/2010, 04:16 PM
They could use upgrades at outside LB and SS but the defense overall (other than vs. the Lions) hasn't been that bad, and Atogwe at FS is decent. The guards (Goldberg and Bell) are serviceable, but they need depth on OL.

And, actually its a good point that they need depth at all the positions you mentioned, plus DESPERATLY need a backup RB. But even if Donnie Avery and Clayton were healthy, they have no one that can stretch a defense.

The year they took Avery they picked I think 2 other WR, including Keenan Burton and Avery is the only one still on the team (2nd round?). You could be right that they can be found later in the draft, but the Rams pretty much HAVE to find a game changer at WR to become competetive, and before Stephen Jackson is done.

DISCLAIMER: My memory could be off on some of those "facts"... :)

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2010, 01:09 AM
Rams need a number 1 receiver...The defense has played well every week with the exception of last one...in fact the offense really hasnt been good and the defense has been winning their games .they are 27th in scoring offense, 20th in yards per game, and the more telling signs 30th in yards per play, 31st in yards per pass attempt..5.7 is not good

on the other hand, the are 11th in scoring D, and had to have been a lot higher before the disgrace against detroit...

in other words, they need a deep threat