PDA

View Full Version : College Football Foolery and Mischief....

adoniijahsooner
10/9/2010, 10:32 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I have passed the point of fairytales in my life; and college football supplies us with many. It bothers me that everything is based on maybes, ifs, and buts in the college football world. Score comparisons, strength of schedule, and people annoiting mythical championships without a true playoff has pretty much killed my enthusiasm for the game. It's not real and it's pretty much based on lies and subjective opinions.

It's pretty much why I dont watch espn or catch any games except for when we play. You guys may like it, but I know when I am being sold a bill of goods. Too be honest, college football is the last sport I have left that I can get semi excited about. Maybe it's time for me to hang up my proverbial cleats, and take up hunting:D .

OU_Sooners75
10/9/2010, 10:51 AM
Sounds like someone is depressed.

olevetonahill
10/9/2010, 11:14 AM
Sounds like someone is depressed.

A saturday with out the Sooners Playin will do that to ya.:(

adoniijahsooner
10/9/2010, 11:18 AM
A saturday with out the Sooners Playin will do that to ya.:(

:D

KantoSooner
10/9/2010, 11:28 AM
Don't give it up! I have a high school friend who styles himself a 'purist' college fan (meaning he does not have a team, he 'appreciates' the game itself). I have never in my life seen anyone enjoy football games less. I have no idea why he bothers.

The BS is half of why it's an enjoyable sport. Once or twice a week you need to suspend logic and have fun.

budbarrybob
10/9/2010, 11:43 AM
I used to be a rabid fan. Reading everything written. Watching all the shows in ESPiN. Going to ALL the home games. Sheesh, Thinking of all the time, money and emotion put into all that makes me wonder...
Adon, WT% is wrong with you. Strap it on and pull up ur jock. Game week starts tomorrow.

No, its not a perfect sport but a hellofa lot better than watching bowling. :D

ouwasp
10/9/2010, 11:50 AM
Free agency ruined the NFL for me. I'll still kinda watch it, but now pro games are Sunday afternoon sleep fodder.

I think I'll like college football from now on though; one feels almost a sense of "ownership" when it comes to a team we feel passionate about. And... it offers an escape into something that really "doesn't matter" in the big scheme of things.

Not having a playoff is simply da**ed frustrating. I know Prez Obama once said something about being in favor of it.... perhaps he will issue an Executive Order solving this problem. :)

But I'm not holding my breath.

texaspokieokie
10/9/2010, 01:15 PM
Free agency ruined the NFL for me. I'll still kinda watch it, but now pro games are Sunday afternoon sleep fodder.

I think I'll like college football from now on though; one feels almost a sense of "ownership" when it comes to a team we feel passionate about. And... it offers an escape into something that really "doesn't matter" in the big scheme of things.

Not having a playoff is simply da**ed frustrating. I know Prez Obama once said something about being in favor of it.... perhaps he will issue an Executive Order solving this problem. :)

But I'm not holding my breath.

i can't remember when nfl didn't have "free agency".

for sure, bho needs to keep his nose out of college football.
he's ****ed up everything he's touched.

ouwasp
10/9/2010, 01:32 PM
i can't remember when nfl didn't have "free agency".

for sure, bho needs to keep his nose out of college football.
he's ****ed up everything he's touched.

Well, the free agency I was referring to was the change that came about in the mid-90s. Seemed designed to dismantle great teams. The Steelers of the 70s, the 49ers of the 80s, Cowboys of the early 90s... alll identifiable by the legends they kept on the roster yr after yr...

Now it seems as if key players are always on the move.

But, imho, pro football has always been way second to college ball. And yes, BHO has screwed up many things.... but he's bound to get something right... bring on college playoffs!

adoniijahsooner
10/9/2010, 01:33 PM
Don't give it up! I have a high school friend who styles himself a 'purist' college fan (meaning he does not have a team, he 'appreciates' the game itself). I have never in my life seen anyone enjoy football games less. I have no idea why he bothers.

The BS is half of why it's an enjoyable sport. Once or twice a week you need to suspend logic and have fun.

I think you are right...taking this stuff too seriously. I still enjoy watching the sooners play.

OU_Sooners75
10/9/2010, 01:35 PM
early or mid 1990s i think

Leroy Lizard
10/9/2010, 03:13 PM
No, its not a perfect sport but a hellofa lot better than watching the NFL. :D

FIFY

Leroy Lizard
10/9/2010, 03:16 PM
Well, the free agency I was referring to was the change that came about in the mid-90s. Seemed designed to dismantle great teams. The Steelers of the 70s, the 49ers of the 80s, Cowboys of the early 90s... alll identifiable by the legends they kept on the roster yr after yr...

It ruined Switzer's reputation. Dallas lost so many players that it just couldn't keep winning titles, and it just so happened that Switzer was at the helm. The same thing happened to SF, but their coach was able to escape the criticism.

For those that cannot enjoy watching college football because of a lack of a playoff, I offer the following:

1. Boo hoo hoo!
2. Why are you posting in a college football forum?
3. www.nfl.com (Don't let the door hit your *** on the way out.)

sooner59
10/9/2010, 04:27 PM
On a side note....take up hunting anyway. Gotta make sure those evil communist critters don't overrun us and dictate us and take away our right to free speech and religion. :D

royalfan5
10/9/2010, 04:32 PM
I still wants ties back. Teaching kids that there is always a winner and loser is a horrible life lesson.

ouwasp
10/9/2010, 05:00 PM
royal, please tell us you're not serious...

sooner59
10/9/2010, 05:22 PM

I know...:eek:

royalfan5
10/9/2010, 06:53 PM

Dead serious. I think I have started a thread or two about it in the past.

texaspokieokie
10/9/2010, 06:58 PM
I still wants ties back. Teaching kids that there is always a winner and loser is a horrible life lesson.
yes, quit keeping score, so there will be no losers.

MR2-Sooner86
10/9/2010, 07:01 PM

I know exactly what you mean. They should also change the rules to where you DON'T tackle the guy with the ball. That promotes exclusion and intolerance in our society.

royalfan5
10/9/2010, 07:08 PM
I know exactly what you mean. They should also change the rules to where you DON'T tackle the guy with the ball. That promotes exclusion and intolerance in our society.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying there are plenty of situations in life where you engage in an activity for an extended period of time, and everyone comes away disappointed. Why should be football be different?

ouwasp
10/9/2010, 08:36 PM
I would say because football is a game ; it is not real life. We humans may not be able to control a lot, but we can control the games we play. At least in respect to the rules they are played under.

OUinFLA
10/9/2010, 08:45 PM

Ive asked before without receiving a "correct" answer.

Who were the last two CFB teams to play to a tie?

call it the SF Aflac trivia question?

I don't know the answer, but Im sure one of you brainiacs can get the scoop.

TXBOOMER
10/9/2010, 08:55 PM
It is a BS Champion instead of BCS. But it is what it is. I hope the F we win it.