PDA

View Full Version : Give Trent Ratterree a scholarship!

badger
10/8/2010, 12:18 PM
I can't believe he isn't yet!

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20101008_92_B6_CUTLIN872195)

The NCAA allows 25 new scholarships per year and a grand total of 85. From the Sooners' current roster, 84 scholarships are accounted for. From Ratterree's freshman class of 2007, nine scholarship recruits are no longer with the team. From the class of 2008, six have left.

Who's with me!

NormanPride
10/8/2010, 12:21 PM
Definitely. The guy starts for us, so he should have his school taken care of.

Soonermagik
10/8/2010, 12:22 PM
I'm with you. That's insane he doesn't have a scholarship. He's played great and really deserves one.

Soonerntxs
10/8/2010, 12:55 PM
Who ever voted (NO!) is a tool in a dark shed that self lubricates!

jumperstop
10/8/2010, 12:57 PM
Who's the dick who voted straight up no? He may not be the best ever but he starts. He's made some good plays (OSU shutout) and deserves to at least have his schooling paid for the work he's done. I remember seeing an interview with him where he was so happy to just be part of the team, and he said getting the game ball after the OSU game was like an unbelievable moment cause he still felt like that skinny walk on kid from Weatherford. I like to see the walkons do well, shows what a lot of hard work and determination can get you.

Leroy Lizard
10/8/2010, 12:58 PM
Could he be on scholarship from another source? (Although the NCAA will probably still count him against our total.)

badger
10/8/2010, 12:59 PM
Sorry, looks like I accidentally made the poll anonymous. It was probably a whorn troll, just to get you all rattled a little or something :)

Mississippi Sooner
10/8/2010, 01:00 PM
Who's the dick who voted straight up no?

James Hannah? :eek:

jumperstop
10/8/2010, 01:05 PM
James Hannah? :eek:

He's good too, why haven't we seen more passes go his way?

cdlbdd
10/8/2010, 01:06 PM
I voted no.

btk108
10/8/2010, 01:13 PM
I voted no.

reason? Before you go red and nobody reads anymore of your posts.

cdlbdd
10/8/2010, 01:17 PM
If he's in school already (and not receiving a 'scholarship' from car dealerships and the like) then either he or his family has figured out a way to pay for it.

I think its better if the scholarship that he would have received to go to someone who otherwise would not have the chance to attend a university.

StoopTroup
10/8/2010, 01:17 PM
I voted no just to **** you off.

StoopTroup
10/8/2010, 01:18 PM
Does he need a Scholly?

jumperstop
10/8/2010, 01:23 PM
Does he need a Scholly?

I don't think the question was does he NEED a scholly. Did Sam Bradford NEED a scholarship to pay for school? Probably not. I think it's more of being a part of the team. If all those other ****ers who sit on the bench every game and don't go to class anyways get a scholly, why shouldn't the guy who starts, gets significant play time, and is probably an academically responsible guy get one?

badger
10/8/2010, 01:28 PM
Does he need a Scholly?

I think it would allow him to partake in more team activities, as this part of the article I link suggests:

Ratterree is a walk-on tight end at the University of Oklahoma. That means he doesn't get any athletic scholarship money. There are also other restrictions, like not getting to eat at the same training table as the scholarship players.

jumperstop
10/8/2010, 01:31 PM
Ratterree is a walk-on tight end at the University of Oklahoma. That means he doesn't get any athletic scholarship money. There are also other restrictions, like not getting to eat at the same training table as the scholarship players.

Gah, this makes it sound like he's the nerd kid with no friends.

Mississippi Sooner
10/8/2010, 01:34 PM
He only gets baloney and cheese sandwiches in a paper bag.

CrimsonJim
10/8/2010, 01:40 PM
HELL yes the young man deserves a scholly!

Leroy Lizard
10/8/2010, 01:49 PM
I find it odd that they have a training table rule. He's a member of the team; he should be able to sit and eat wherever he wants.

Leroy Lizard
10/8/2010, 01:54 PM
Oooh, question! Since Trent starts, doesn't he count against our total scholarship limit? I though the NCAA instituted that rule on account of Nebbish.

jumperstop
10/8/2010, 01:58 PM
Oooh, question! Since Trent starts, doesn't he count against our total scholarship limit? I though the NCAA instituted that rule on account of Nebbish.

What were they doing, starting players but not giving them scholarships? If that is the case, the university can shell out for this guys education, it wouldn't be affecting our limit anyways.

badger
10/8/2010, 02:00 PM
I find it odd that they have a training table rule. He's a member of the team; he should be able to sit and eat wherever he wants.

It might be an NCAA rule. The NCAA has many crappy rules.

KantoSooner
10/8/2010, 02:00 PM
I agree that it is totally weird that non-schol athletes don't eat with schol athletes. Stupid, too, considering how important we now know specialized nutrition regimes to be to elite level athletes.

I can understand that it's a 'benefit' but still.

There's a steam of thought in our society that holds that any 'benefit' an individual gets that is not rigidly equally distributed to the population as a whole is somehow wrong. That stream of thought is both ugly and stupid. Surely there is something the colleges could do to end this, if, in fact, it really is a rule.

Leroy Lizard
10/8/2010, 02:04 PM
It might be an NCAA rule. The NCAA has many crappy rules.

Shouldn't the NCAA be on the other side of the argument?

StoopTroup
10/8/2010, 02:04 PM
So.....he doesn't need one....and he can't sit at the table with Scholarship Athletes because of it. I'm not sure that's a clincher for me. As far as Sam needing one....I'm betting OU will get most of that back anyway so it's a mute point. A point...but a mute point.

If a scholly could go to a player that needed it vs one that "DESERVES" it.....wouldn't that be a better situation. The idea that you aren't a part of the team because you don't EAT , ****, SLEEP and STUDY together is ridiculous and IMO it's more of a NCAA rule mess than good sense. Some of these rules just go way to far.

They are eating for God's sakes! Hey a Sam.....you gonna eat that Jello? Sorry Bro...I can't give it to ya.....you know the rules....walk ons have to eat **** on a shingle Bro.

Leroy Lizard
10/8/2010, 02:06 PM
What were they doing, starting players but not giving them scholarships?

I believe so.

Many USC fans were proposing to have players walk on to get around the scholarship limitations. Some posters pointed out that as soon as the player started (or even played significantly) he would count regardless. Not sure if that's right.

KantoSooner
10/8/2010, 02:22 PM
I'd be grateful if anyone could explain this point to me. Do starters count against schollie limits, even if they receive no schollie? Seems insane, but then again, we're talking NCAA here...

OU_Sooners75
10/8/2010, 03:31 PM
I voted no, not till the offseason.
The reasoning, giving him one right now it would not take hold until spring anyway.

He definitely deserves one though.

OU_Sooners75
10/8/2010, 03:40 PM
Since he is a walk on he cannot eat atthe same table as Travis Lewis? But he can share the same field during practice and games?

Now can some random non-student athlete sit with Travis Lewis?

That is like a law about being illegal to spit on the boardwalks in town. Spit only in spitoon.

AlbqSooner
10/8/2010, 03:48 PM
What the Nebraska walk-on program did that pizzed the NCAA was they had athletes walk-on and then assisted them in getting Pell grants and such, thereby saving a scholly and being able to exceed the NCAA limits.

Leroy Lizard
10/8/2010, 03:55 PM
I'd be grateful if anyone could explain this point to me. Do starters count against schollie limits, even if they receive no schollie? Seems insane, but then again, we're talking NCAA here...

Actually, I can see a need for the rule. Allowing numerous players to walk on just increases the chance for abuse. You would have teams fielding 5-star players that happened to just walk on. Of course, they drive fancy cars and seem to have lots of spending money, but they don't count against your scholarship limits.

My feeling about it is that a team should only be allowed to have so many athletes that receive significant playing time.

Another way to do it is simply not allow walk-ons to play until the fourth quarter. So go ahead and stock up on as many walk-ons as you want.

badger
10/8/2010, 04:02 PM
What the Nebraska walk-on program did that pizzed the NCAA was they had athletes walk-on and then assisted them in getting Pell grants and such, thereby saving a scholly and being able to exceed the NCAA limits.

Don't all sports teams that don't generally do the full ride thing do that? Don't teams that do still get their athletes pell grants to go spend at the mall?

cdlbdd
10/8/2010, 04:02 PM

More than likely he can. As far as I can tell, the training table is not an actual, physical table. It seems to be a class of meal (I assume those served at the athletics cafeteria).

I don't think the rule prohibits Trent to eat at the same table as the scholarship players. As far as I can tell, it does prohibit the Athletics Dept. from providing 'training-table' meals free of charge.

NCAA Link (pp. 191, 197, 224) http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D111.pdf

Stanford Link http://www.gostanford.com/student-athletes/af-aid-trainingtable.html

cdlbdd
10/8/2010, 04:24 PM
Another useful link.

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=training%20table

btb916
10/8/2010, 04:34 PM
GK is probably paying for his school since he saved the D's shutout against OSU last year.

sooner59
10/8/2010, 04:35 PM
If he's in school already (and not receiving a 'scholarship' from car dealerships and the like) then either he or his family has figured out a way to pay for it.

I think its better if the scholarship that he would have received to go to someone who otherwise would not have the chance to attend a university.

So can we yank Jimmy Stevens' scholly because he went to a private school before coming to OU? His family can obviously afford to pay his way, right?

To me, if you are starting a kid, and you refuse to offer him a scholly, it doesn't make you look that good.

KantoSooner
10/8/2010, 04:40 PM
Actually, I can see a need for the rule. Allowing numerous players to walk on just increases the chance for abuse. You would have teams fielding 5-star players that happened to just walk on. Of course, they drive fancy cars and seem to have lots of spending money, but they don't count against your scholarship limits.

My feeling about it is that a team should only be allowed to have so many athletes that receive significant playing time.

Another way to do it is simply not allow walk-ons to play until the fourth quarter. So go ahead and stock up on as many walk-ons as you want.

The hypothetical you posit is no different than today's reality. You police and punish violations.
I would not see any problem whatsoever with having 6,000 people on your team so long as 5915 of them were paying their own way.

cdlbdd
10/8/2010, 05:26 PM
So can we yank Jimmy Stevens' scholly because he went to a private school before coming to OU? His family can obviously afford to pay his way, right?

To me, if you are starting a kid, and you refuse to offer him a scholly, it doesn't make you look that good.

I don't remember saying that if you went to private school before attending OU you should have your scholarship revoked.

Just because Jimmy went to private school before coming to OU doesn't mean he is able to pay for (or, I suppose, be admitted to) the costs of attending a university.

Though I do not think it obvious that his family could pay for college (is it not possible that their college savings were exhausted with private high school?), I do think it is likely that they could. That likelihood does not rule out the possibility that their family has decided to let their children pay their own way at college.

When has the Athletic Dept. administration refused to offer Trent a scholarship?

badger
10/8/2010, 05:44 PM
It is an ******* thing to do to take athletes that you recruit off of scholarship unless they do something that truly embarrasses the program... not talking about lack of talent, either.

:les: promises scholarships to too many athletes than revokes a few of players already on roster, or tries to grayshirt a few to make up for the surplus of players. :les: is an *******. Bob is not and I would never want him to be. In this case, there appears to be a scholly opening, which is why I started this thread. Trent is contributing WAAAAY too much to this team this season and last to not be a scholly athlete. It's not about financial need - it's about rewarding an awesome athlete for doing everything you ask of him and more.

I am not asking Bob to revoke Jimmy Stevens' scholarship, or anyone else's (although a certain WR might be relieved of his soon enough on his own). I'm asking about the one available scholly that we apparently have (since we apparently have 84 right now)

EDIT: @$$hole is apparently a filtered word, lol :D

sooner59
10/8/2010, 05:52 PM
When you said this:

Originally Posted by cdlbdd View Post

It didn't make much sense to me because my family had no money whatsoever to help me out in college. The poorer you are, the easier it is to get financial aid, so just about anyone can have the chance to attend. My parents have not paid a dime for my college. It sounded like you were saying you would rather have the scholly go to a player who couldn't afford the cost. I wasn't taking a shot at Stevens, but using him as an example. There are likely lots of players that can probably afford it, but get schollies anyway. Even the poorest of students can afford college, its just whether or not they want to assume the debt. I just think if you have a player that is a big enough contributor that you play him a lot, he deserves the financial help in the form of a scholly if a scholly is available. I'm not saying take someone else's away, but if one is there, give it to him.

sooner59
10/8/2010, 05:57 PM
I don't remember saying that if you went to private school before attending OU you should have your scholarship revoked.

Just because Jimmy went to private school before coming to OU doesn't mean he is able to pay for (or, I suppose, be admitted to) the costs of attending a university.

Though I do not think it obvious that his family could pay for college (is it not possible that their college savings were exhausted with private high school?), I do think it is likely that they could. That likelihood does not rule out the possibility that their family has decided to let their children pay their own way at college.

When has the Athletic Dept. administration refused to offer Trent a scholarship?

I didn't mean to assume they refused. I guess I should have said "have yet to offer". Again, not saying take away anyone's scholly, just using it to say "it doesn't matter how they pay for college" in determining scholly players. Now if Trent is fine with not having one, no big deal, but he probably deserves one.

AlbqSooner
10/8/2010, 06:10 PM
Don't all sports teams that don't generally do the full ride thing do that? Don't teams that do still get their athletes pell grants to go spend at the mall?

I don't know the answer to that question. I assumed that when the NCAA instituted the rule regarding walk-on athletes, they were attempting to close that loophole. If what you are saying is correct, then the NCAA failed. Big Shock.

Leroy Lizard
10/8/2010, 06:16 PM
The hypothetical you posit is no different than today's reality. You police and punish violations.

Yes, but as a governing body with little real investigative power the NCAA has to create situations to minimize the risk. Having a large walk-on program invites abuse. The NCAA figures: Why create a problem that you have to solve?

Again, once USC got nailed, some of its fans were trying to further the idea that they could use walk-ons to fill the gap.

Suppose that was legal. Well, you have a four-star athlete that you can't recruit because you're over your scholarship limit. But he can't afford to walk-on either. Enter the booster.

setem
10/8/2010, 06:31 PM
Kent "Money Bags" Bradford! Dude is Tiny Giraffe rich!

StoopTroup
10/8/2010, 06:37 PM
it's about rewarding an awesome athlete for doing everything you ask of him and more.

Bob gave him a Game Ball and at the end of his College career a job in the NFL should be reward enough.

Leroy Lizard
10/8/2010, 08:08 PM
This is none of our concern. If Trent doesn't have a scholarship, there is undoubtedly a good reason for it. It isn't like it has slipped Bob's mind.

texaspokieokie
10/9/2010, 09:21 AM
how many "walk-ons" does OU have ????

KantoSooner
10/9/2010, 11:39 AM
And what's the overall rule regarding how many players can be on roster? I'm getting the impression (perhaps in error) that starters must be counted against the schollie limits. If that's the rule, then you have to abide be it unless/until changed. What about overall limits? Are there any? Could you have an army of guys who never or almost never saw the field or received any benefits, but practiced and were 'on' the team?

Just interested.

StoopTroup
10/9/2010, 12:18 PM
This is none of our concern. If Trent doesn't have a scholarship, there is undoubtedly a good reason for it. It isn't like it has slipped Bob's mind.

It's probably none of your concern as Trent only likes Sooner Fans opinions. He hates math teachers as one time he had a math teacher that told him to sit on his lap and adjust his slide rule. He knew something was wrong because everybody else has a scientific calculator. He said the dude looked green around the gills and smelled of iguana.

Leroy Lizard
10/9/2010, 03:19 PM
It's probably none of your concern as Trent only likes Sooner Fans opinions. He hates math teachers as one time he had a math teacher that told him to sit on his lap and adjust his slide rule. He knew something was wrong because everybody else has a scientific calculator. He said the dude looked green around the gills and smelled of iguana.

Ugh, total lame-o.

You've done much better than this in the past. Truly disappointing.

texaspokieokie
10/9/2010, 07:06 PM
how many walk-ons on roster ??

tulsaoilerfan
10/9/2010, 07:17 PM

Its the NCAA so most of their rules make absolutely no sense

Salt City Sooner
10/9/2010, 09:18 PM
I'd give him a 'ship just for those blocks he threw on Murray's 2nd TD run vs. Utah St. Dude caved in the right side of their D by himself.

StoopTroup
10/9/2010, 09:30 PM
Ugh, total lame-o.

You've done much better than this in the past. Truly disappointing.

OMG....not Lamo-o....

If I even post something lame....is was like disinformation so that the enemy is mised into tink they have gotten somethng

StoopTroup
10/9/2010, 09:30 PM
Everything is premeditated or a Posse plan or even a Deanism

VA Sooner
10/9/2010, 11:52 PM
He is definitely worthy. The effort that he game just to chase down that Poke at the end of last year's game... worth it!