View Full Version : Trailer for the Marcus Dupree 30 for 30

Collier11
10/8/2010, 12:06 AM
This gives me chills and makes me feel sad all in one...cant wait to watch it

http://30for30.espn.com/film/the-best-that-never-was.html

A Sooner in Texas
10/8/2010, 12:19 AM
Me too, Collier.

I don't think I've ever been as stunned watching any football player as I was the first time - and every time thereafter - I saw Marcus run down the field. He was unforgettable.

Crucifax Autumn
10/8/2010, 12:27 AM
Looking forward to seeing this.

AlbqSooner
10/8/2010, 07:25 AM
He was a dominating running back. Strength to run over you, speed to run by you, amazing field vision, and - on the field - driven to succeed.

Really a sad situation. Conflicted by his own success and fame.

Mad Dog Madsen
10/8/2010, 08:30 AM
Marcus Dupree was an amazing football player. He could've even won the Heisman his sophomore year. Lot's of other possibilities as well. Ohhh, what could have been... :(

The Maestro
10/8/2010, 08:42 AM
Hearing Disco Brooks call of Marcus's touchdown against Texas and seeing the video of it takes me back. I can remember EXACTLY where I was...outside throwing the tennis ball against the house cause the 1982 OU-Texas game was not on T.V., listening on my Dad's old radio and going NUTS when he broke that one. Incredible...almost as chilling as the male cheerleader shorts in that video...OUCH!!

KantoSooner
10/8/2010, 09:01 AM
I was living in Mass. at the time and had to listen to the morons up there opine that Boston College would have shut Dupree down.

I don't think I even said anything; I was stunned by the stupidity.

stoopified
10/8/2010, 09:13 AM
Dupree was his own worst enemy.Lazy,immature, and selfish is no way to suceed.

sooneron
10/8/2010, 09:31 AM
Can't wait to see this one. I remember seeing him in person and it was awe inspiring how he could run. Best running back that I ever saw. Better than Hershel, Bo, Billy, AD...

His first half in the ASU game was ridonkulous.

jumperstop
10/8/2010, 10:00 AM
So I was not really alive when all this happened, but I just wiki'd it to find out more about Dupree. I got the jist of what happened, but why did he up and decide to leave OU? Seemed to have a pretty good Freshman year.

primetime43
10/8/2010, 10:01 AM
Ad vs Marcus. Who ya got. I've heard all my life how great Marcus Dupree was but I'm too young to remember seeing him. I'm curious who had more talent-Ad or Marcus?

royalfan5
10/8/2010, 10:10 AM
When does this air? I need to remember to DVR it.

Pigface1
10/8/2010, 10:10 AM
Ad vs Marcus. Who ya got. I've heard all my life how great Marcus Dupree was but I'm too young to remember seeing him. I'm curious who had more talent-Ad or Marcus?

AD is and was a beast, but in regards to pure raw talent, Marcus. AD busted his butt to get where he was. Dupree just showed up at game time and said, "Give me the rock."

jumperstop
10/8/2010, 10:21 AM
When does this air? I need to remember to DVR it.

Saturday, Dec 11 @ 9pm EST

MeMyself&Me
10/8/2010, 11:07 AM
I'm old enough to remember people talking about Durpree but young enough to not remember actually seeing him play or what it was about him leaving. From the viewpoint of someone with no natural athletic gifts whatsoever but still loved to play and compete in several sports, I have very little respect for those that are bestowed great gifts in athletic talent but waist it away with poor attitude and work ethic. From what I've heard, Dupree fits that bill but I will be watching that show with great interest. I remember the awe all the adults around me had for him.

I'm loving these 30 for 30s.

Mississippi Sooner
10/8/2010, 11:08 AM
AD is and was a beast, but in regards to pure raw talent, Marcus. AD busted his butt to get where he was. Dupree just showed up at game time and said, "Give me the rock."

And therein was the ultimate problem. Marcus had never been expected to train and bust his butt to get better. All he had to do was show up on Friday night and dazzle everyone. That didn't cut it at OU. He was expected to show up at all the practices and workouts and work just as hard as everyone else.

He isn't unique in this. I knew a kid when I was in high school in Oklahoma who took a scholly from the pokes, but he didn't even make it to the first game because training camp was "too hard."

Just goes to show that we never do those kids any favors when we coddle them in high school, no matter how much natural talent they may possess.

OK2U
10/8/2010, 11:30 AM
Pretty high praise from Swtizer, a coach who's seen his share of athletes at every level of the game.
I wonder if the documentary will get into the "dirty" recruiting tactics. Those old Switzer recruiting stories are legendary.

Howzit
10/8/2010, 12:39 PM
I was a freshman in '82, fresh out of the Army. What some may not remember is that Switzer was somewhat trying to break away from the pure wishbone that year, I believe he even ran some I formation.

I remember watching Marcus progress through the year. USC pretty much shut down OU's whole offense in Norman, and West Virginia spanked us. But Dupree got better and better and got more and more touches. The Texas game was kind of his breakout, and maestro, that game was on TV in Norman. I can't remember how or why - this was in the early days of cable and it did start well into the 1st quarter - but it was definitely on.

I remember the Missouri game, in particular, where some poor little 180 lb CB tried to tackle Marcus head on. Marcus battered into him, knocked him about 5 yards, and loped on for a touchdown.

I loved the AD years and think he was definitely one of our best, but Marcus could have been the best of all time. It's crying shame how things worked out.

edit: heh, stolen shamelessly...

edit the sequel: well hell, if someone wants to embed it feel free. :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFovA5v20GE

sooneron
10/8/2010, 01:38 PM
ruh tard

KFovA5v20GE

Breadburner
10/8/2010, 01:58 PM
He was good...But AD was better all around... I also think the level of competition AD played against was better as well...That being defensive players being...bigger..stronger..faster.....Is is it just me or did we seem to block better back then.....

Howzit
10/8/2010, 02:18 PM
AD may have been better all around because AD wanted to be that good. The thing about Marcus is that he just showed up and did that. If he had Adrian's work ethic, oh what could have been.

NatureBoy
10/8/2010, 02:53 PM
Great looking trailer...I don't know about him being better than Hershel, but he definitely had some freakish talent.

Sad to see how it ended for him. ESPN's 30 for 30 is just fantastic.

sooneron
10/8/2010, 03:40 PM
Better.

Than.

Hershel.

Rickety_Syd
10/8/2010, 04:13 PM

Dupree had everything - size, sprinter's spreed, strength . . . but AD has one thing over him: Determination.

In my mind, Durpree could have been the BEST ever. Not Barry Sanders, Durpree - the best in college, the best in the pros, IF he worked at it.

He was already big, but if he worked hard and lifted weights . . .

It boggles the mind.
My mind is boggled.

cvsooner
10/8/2010, 04:17 PM
It was a different time and admittedly players trained differently then too. Marcus was supremely gifted, no question...and the Sooners that year were, well, not one of the better squads. But Marcus...man. I only got to see him play live, in the Fiesta Bowl. Arizona State is still trying to tackle him.

He rushed for 239 yards on 17 carries (!) (14 yards per!!) before leaving the game with a pulled hamstring in the third quarter. He left the game three times because of rib and thigh injuries before that.

Switzer was mad at him for coming back from the Christmas break overweight and short-winded and he was still running all over ASU. Probably would have won the game if he'd have stayed in. The first of three Fiesta Bowls I've seen us lose. :(

Jacie
10/8/2010, 08:25 PM
I was a freshman in '82, fresh out of the Army. What some may not remember is that Switzer was somewhat trying to break away from the pure wishbone that year, I believe he even ran some I formation.

I remember watching Marcus progress through the year. USC pretty much shut down OU's whole offense in Norman, and West Virginia spanked us. But Dupree got better and better and got more and more touches. The Texas game was kind of his breakout, and maestro, that game was on TV in Norman. I can't remember how or why - this was in the early days of cable and it did start well into the 1st quarter - but it was definitely on.

I remember the Missouri game, in particular, where some poor little 180 lb CB tried to tackle Marcus head on. Marcus battered into him, knocked him about 5 yards, and loped on for a touchdown.

Marcus did not play the first two games of the season so he wasn't on the field against West Virginia. He didn't get into a game until USC and not until the very end of that game. I think he got 3 carries for 12 yards.

And then came the sa*et game and the whorns looked like every other team when he ran, they couldn't stop him. I stood on my chair the whole game laughing everytime he was handed the ball and thinking, "Take a good look sa*et, three more years of this! (players weren't leaving early for the pros then).

That Missouri linebacker, the two of them collided, both of em straight up and he went over backwards as Dupree literally ran over him. And he scored on that play. MD had a string of games where he scored on a run of 60 yards or more. When people who saw him talk about him, it was because he was that good. Until Adrian Peterson came along, none who did see the Marcus Dupree era ever thought we would witness that kind of talent again.

MyT Oklahoma
10/8/2010, 09:09 PM
I was trying to study while listening to the first half of the '82 OU/KU game before I finally just gave up.. called the girl friend and headed on over to Lawrence to watch the second half. We got free tickets from some KU fans leaving the game and watched from the north end zone among other OU fans.

Marcus Dupree was the best Sooner running back that I've ever seen from 1971 on. Great talent but his attitude and work ethic totally sucked.

texaspokieokie
10/9/2010, 07:17 AM
all this love for a "quitter".

he left OU !!!!

Sooner70
10/9/2010, 08:18 AM
Kind of a latter day Joe Don Looney. A man among boys, but hampered by what is (or isn't ) between the ears. Difference is that apparently Mama got in the way Marcus. He could do no wrong in Mama's eyes, and Barry had turned into a mean coach asking him to do all that practicing & play with his minor ouchies.

Agree he coulda had it all. Coulda won the Heisman and had everything that went with it, but basically shot himself in the foot. Spoiled baby type.

Just goes to show you that a player can have all the physical ability in the world, but if his head isn't on straight, or the OU standards just aren't a fit for a HS prospect, it can be trouble.

stoopified
10/9/2010, 10:11 AM
Kind of a latter day Joe Don Looney. A man among boys, but hampered by what is (or isn't ) between the ears. Difference is that apparently Mama got in the way Marcus. He could do no wrong in Mama's eyes, and Barry had turned into a mean coach asking him to do all that practicing & play with his minor ouchies.

Agree he coulda had it all. Coulda won the Heisman and had everything that went with it, but basically shot himself in the foot. Spoiled baby type.

Just goes to show you that a player can have all the physical ability in the world, but if his head isn't on straight, or the OU standards just aren't a fit for a HS prospect, it can be trouble.Exactly.Marcus was probly the most gited runningback in OU history but had no heart.AD had a hair less talent but 10 TIMES the heart and work ethic.

As far as greatest runningbacks in OU history I go

Billy Sims
AD Joe Washington
AD
Steve Owens
Billy Vessels
Q
Demond Parker
Mike Gaddis
Tommy McDonald
DeMarco
Lydell Carr
Prentice Gautt
Chris Brown
James Allen
Spencer Tillman

Dupree ranks somewhere below all these guys.MD had all the POTENTIAL in the world but these guys actually produced on the gridiron.How can anyone who follows Sooner football rank a quitter who played 14 or so career games above ANY of these career proven SOONERS.

Dupree quit because he was unwilling to work hard,unwilling to get tough,unwilling to lead.He was a quitter.

bluedogok
10/9/2010, 10:31 AM

Just goes to show you that a player can have all the physical ability in the world, but if his head isn't on straight, or the OU standards just aren't a fit for a HS prospect, it can be trouble.
It wasn't just his mama, it was everyone around him in Philadelphia, Mississippi...
Outside of his family it was mostly his coaches growing up who didn't make him be a teammate and work like every other player, they let him do whatever he wanted since he had incredible talent. He thought Switzer was a hard *** for making him work....there is no way he would have been able to play for a Bo Schembechler, Bear Bryant or Woody Hayes (and many others) if he thought Switzer was hard.

kelloggOUballa
10/9/2010, 10:38 AM
How's this for size, power and speed, and this is against 21st century size, power and speed. There's no comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6nv4rUP90Q

Soonermagik
10/9/2010, 10:47 AM
AD is the best running back ever at OU. He can do it all: catch passes, run over people, make people miss and run like crazy for his size. What if AD hadn't gotten hurt? What if's are just that.

texaspokieokie
10/9/2010, 10:53 AM
Exactly.Marcus was probly the most gited runningback in OU history but had no heart.AD had a hair less talent but 10 TIMES the heart and work ethic.

As far as greatest runningbacks in OU history I go

Billy Sims
AD Joe Washington
AD
Steve Owens
Billy Vessels
Q
Demond Parker
Mike Gaddis
Tommy McDonald
DeMarco
Lydell Carr
Prentice Gautt
Chris Brown
James Allen
Spencer Tillman

Dupree ranks somewhere below all these guys.MD had all the POTENTIAL in the world but these guys actually produced on the gridiron.How can anyone who follows Sooner football rank a quitter who played 14 or so career games above ANY of these career proven SOONERS.

Dupree quit because he was unwilling to work hard,unwilling to get tough,unwilling to lead.He was a quitter.

where's Pruitt & Clendon Thomas ???

silverwheels
10/9/2010, 10:53 AM
How's this for size, power and speed, and this is against 21st century size, power and speed. There's no comparison.

I don't know if I would use the words "size, power, and speed" to describe the Detroit Lions, no matter what century it is. :D

Great run, though.

texaspokieokie
10/9/2010, 10:55 AM
AD is the best running back ever at OU. He can do it all: catch passes, run over people, make people miss and run like crazy for his size. What if AD hadn't gotten hurt? What if's are just that.

what if Billy Sims hadn't gotten hurt ???

he was @ OU 5 years, & only played 2 complete seasons.
barring injury, he coulda had 2000 to 3000 more yarda.

texaspokieokie
10/9/2010, 11:05 AM

Looney had head problems like MD.
that's where the comparison pretty much ends. Looney worked hard to build up his body. i don't remember what his weight was, but it was far greater than the 165 lbs he got down to after football was over.

guessing in the 190 to 200 lb range. hate to be racist; but he had extreme speed for a white boy. i remember (i think) that he could do a 9.6 100 yds.
Bud's only JC transfer.he ruined it for the guys behind him. got kicked of the team

also got kicked off of some pro teams.

Flagstaffsooner
10/9/2010, 11:05 AM
I remember we had two top recruits in 1982,
one in football, one in basketball.
One was a bum, one was a Saint.
nuff said

olevetonahill
10/9/2010, 11:12 AM
That 82 game was the Last time ive been to the RRW

soonersalesman
10/9/2010, 11:49 AM
I'll agree. I've been watching Sooner football since the days of Steve Owens. No player in any college anywhere sticks in my mind for raw talent like Dupree had. Oh what could have been.:(

Give this guy a work ethic and we're talking Sayers/Kelley/Walker type great.

The Looney analogy is a good one. I heard somewhere the first week of practice Looney almost got into a fight with the quarterback of the Baltimore Colts, Johnny Unitas. Never have been able to confirm that. Doesn't seem too bright for a rookie to be picking a fight with a franchise (soon to be hall of fame) quarterback.:confused:

Soonermagik
10/9/2010, 12:36 PM
what if Billy Sims hadn't gotten hurt ???

he was @ OU 5 years, & only played 2 complete seasons.
barring injury, he coulda had 2000 to 3000 more yarda.

Exactly my point. Even with AD's injuries he was the most dominant back ever at OU. Plus, he's proving it in the NFL.

texaspokieokie
10/9/2010, 01:05 PM
that's exactly the opposite of your point.

Soonermagik
10/9/2010, 01:29 PM
that's exactly the opposite of your point.

How is that the opposite of my point? Sims had injuries and so did AD and AD was the better back. Sim's was one heck of a back, but AD has it all: size, speed, strength and hands.

If you were to draft one of these guys in the NFL assuming they were the same age.... who would you take? We already know what AD can do in today's NFL. :)

texaspokieokie
10/9/2010, 06:45 PM
Sims gave OU 5 yrs as opposed to AD who gave 3 before going for the money.
Sims came back after winning heisman & gave OU another of his extremely valuable years.

Sims was 25 before ever playing for Detroit.

How old was AD when he played his 1st pro game ???

(hint) less than 25.

texaspokieokie
10/10/2010, 08:13 AM
How is that the opposite of my point? Sims had injuries and so did AD and AD was the better back. Sim's was one heck of a back, but AD has it all: size, speed, strength and hands.

If you were to draft one of these guys in the NFL assuming they were the same age.... who would you take? We already know what AD can do in today's NFL. :)

how are you so sure that AD is the better back?? is that not just your opinion ???

i like to look @ yards per carry, while @ OU.

Scott D
10/10/2010, 10:51 AM
this thread is sadly amusing. Two camps, one camp watches Dupree's highlights and wonders what might have been. The other camp throws him under a freight train..forget the bus.

texaspokieokie
10/10/2010, 10:57 AM
he had fantastic "potential" !!!

like Dizzy Dean (or some other old-timer) said, "having potential" means you ain't done it yet".

texaspokieokie
10/10/2010, 10:58 AM
what a dummy. i'd been talkin about AD & then drifted back to MD.

my bad.

tulsaoilerfan
10/10/2010, 11:21 AM
Dupree was his own worst enemy.Lazy,immature, and selfish is no way to suceed.

"Son, fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life" :D

texaspokieokie
10/10/2010, 11:23 AM
he straightened up. went to try out for rams, & got his weight down to around 220.
going by memory.

tulsaoilerfan
10/10/2010, 11:26 AM
Yeah but that was after he tore up his knee and was only a shell of what he used to be; he rushed for 251 yards in 15 career NFL Games

primetime43
10/10/2010, 11:55 AM

I love how Moose Johnston says "you don't expect him to have breakaway speed". Moose where have you been? Did you miss the game vs the Bears and chargers a few years back? I've never seen AD get caught from behind.

Emil
10/10/2010, 11:28 PM
Wasn't he like the first round pick when the USFL started, and he did run for 70 yard touch down the first time he touched the ball in that league for New Orleans? Think there was a NFL strike starting at the time.

Dupree30for30
10/25/2010, 10:40 PM
Please note - The airdate for THE BEST THAT NEVER WAS, the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary about legendary OU running back Marcus Dupree, has been moved up to Nov 9th at 8pm on ESPN (the original air date was 12/11).

http://30for30.espn.com/film/the-best-that-never-was.html

Cornfed
10/25/2010, 10:56 PM
I was at the '82 Mizzou game in Norman and I was so impressed by him. Then later that year when he broke that 70 yarder against Neb. I was so confused the day we heard on the news he had not shown up at practices and was gone, beleived at home in Mississippii.

Had he worked hard and stuck around, we wouldnt be having a "best back" discussion.

Mad Dog Madsen
10/26/2010, 10:44 AM
Glad it got moved up! I can't wait to see this!

auto
11/4/2010, 02:02 PM
Only players jersey I have ever bought.