PDA

View Full Version : MLB Playoffs 2010

tommieharris91
10/7/2010, 01:50 AM
Some dude pitched a pretty good game against the Reds earlier. Ohh the Yankees won and the Rangers won too.

texaspokieokie
10/7/2010, 09:14 AM
sad for Twins. they had a lead but couldn't hold it.

did you know twins manager graduated from Okmulgee Hi School ???

Collier11
10/7/2010, 01:51 PM
Carlos Pena is horrible, Doc Holliday is a stud

ouleaf
10/7/2010, 04:54 PM
Rangers looking solid...Great outing by C.J. They look like a club that has been to the playoffs year after year.

Great to see some production out of Kins....Nice to see your Michael Young contribute.

Go Rangers!!!

Blue
10/7/2010, 08:08 PM
Twins just don't have the pitching. Sweep.

Blue
10/7/2010, 08:08 PM
My Braves are up next and i'm not hoping for much. Anything good would be a huge surprise.

Blue
10/7/2010, 11:03 PM
That was pathetic. I hate the kid from dazed and confused.

Collier11
10/7/2010, 11:10 PM
He was dealin though

jaux
10/8/2010, 01:24 PM
Sawx in 6

Scott D
10/8/2010, 02:28 PM
Twins are the Twins....they have nothing left in the tank because they blitz through August and September leaving nothing for October. They need to go back to being a middle of the pack team.

tommieharris91
10/9/2010, 01:21 AM
Dusty Baker's Reds looked like a Dusty Baker led team today.

Collier11
10/10/2010, 12:57 AM
YEP, isnt it funny to see the Reds epically fail :D

stoops the eternal pimp
10/10/2010, 09:06 AM
YANKEES!

tulsaoilerfan
10/10/2010, 11:31 AM
Twins are the Twins....they have nothing left in the tank because they blitz through August and September leaving nothing for October. They need to go back to being a middle of the pack team.

Interesting article i read before the playoffs started about how teams with power pitching usually have a better chance than teams like the Twins that have mainly relied on finesse type pitchers; the article actually made quite a bit of sense(it was in USA Today)

Collier11
10/10/2010, 03:49 PM
Power pitching usually wins in the playoffs it seems

Rays pushing the Rangers to 5, neither team winning on their home field so far

bluedogok
10/10/2010, 04:57 PM
Hopefully Cliff Lee can take care of business in Game 5.

GrapevineSooner
10/10/2010, 06:13 PM
In Cliff I Trust.

Scott D
10/10/2010, 07:11 PM
Go National League!!!

Collier11
10/10/2010, 09:17 PM
NL, NL, NL

bluedogok
10/10/2010, 09:23 PM
Stupid pitchers hitting league and their automatic out......

although if the Yankees are the AL rep, go NL....

texaspokieokie
10/11/2010, 08:21 AM
Stupid pitchers hitting league and their automatic out......

although if the Yankees are the AL rep, go NL....

they should make AL go with platoons like football.

they should make AL west have more than 4 teams.

they should quit giving WS home field ad to league that wins all-star game.

1st & foremost, they should never let selig be the commish. doesn't anybody see that he's an owner,thus always taking owners point of view.

bluedogok
10/11/2010, 08:01 PM
they should make AL go with platoons like football.

they should make AL west have more than 4 teams.

they should quit giving WS home field ad to league that wins all-star game.

1st & foremost, they should never let selig be the commish. doesn't anybody see that he's an owner,thus always taking owners point of view.
I agree with the bottom three...I just don't think there should be a difference in rules, the AL and the NL are no longer separate organizations, they have the same umpires and play inter-league games now, there just isn't any reason for it. I just hate the game flow aspect of the pitcher coming out and 99 times out of 100 is pretty much an out.

There is absolutely no reason why the NL Central should have 6 teams and the AL West have 4 teams. They need to move the Royals to the West and the Brewers back to the AL and put them in the Central to balance things out.

The owners have exactly what they wanted, a weak commissioner to let them do what they want. The is no way they want another Kenesaw Mountain Landis or even Peter Ueberroth, or Bart Giamatti.

Blue
10/11/2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the memories, Bobby!

texaspokieokie
10/12/2010, 10:28 AM
was just kidding about platoons. don't like DH rule.

maybe cause i'm a (very) old timer.

don't like inter league play, either.
maybe i'm a "purist".

JLEW1818
10/12/2010, 10:19 PM
lol non-alcoholic celebration

yankee
10/12/2010, 10:26 PM
I hope we beat the rangers into a bloody pulp.

Dio
10/12/2010, 10:26 PM
RANGERS WIN!!!!

setem
10/12/2010, 10:53 PM
Ron Washington did cocaine! GO RAYS!

Collier11
10/13/2010, 02:56 AM
good for the Rangers but in all honesty, they dont stand much of a chance against the Yankees IMO.

And NO, this isnt a Jlew LOCK OF THE MILLENNIUM

texaspokieokie
10/13/2010, 08:26 AM
Great win by Rangers !!!!

(franchise is older than texans want to admit,was born in DC in 1961. rangers & angels are two oldest with huston & mets born in 1962)

ouleaf
10/13/2010, 09:19 AM
Go Rangers!!! I never thought I'd see the day. The Cardinals are and will always be my favorite team, but living in the DFW area the past 15 years or so, the Rangers have grown on me to where I support them as well now. Figure its okay to cheer for 1 NL and 1 AL team.

If the Rangers advance any further in this thing, it will truly be amazing considering this is a team that started off the year with its manager failing a drug test, bankruptcy, being sold to new ownership, etc. It truly is a remarkable set of circumstances.

Big credit has to go to Jon Daniels and Nolan Ryan for putting together a competitive team on a very limited budget, and making the key acquisition of Cliff Lee, who did exactly what you got him for, win in the playoffs. Credit also has to go to the "Old School Brother." Despite the shocking failed drug test, i think he did a hell of job at the helm.

The Yankees, while they certainly are beatable and aren't nearly the team of late 90's early 00's will give the Rangers all the can handle. It would have been ideal if the Rangers could have won the last series in 4 games, and have Cliff go in game 1 of the ALCS. Hopefully CJ picks up where he left off the the other guys in the rotation perform better than their last outing.

JLEW1818
10/13/2010, 07:57 PM
good for the Rangers but in all honesty, they dont stand much of a chance against the Yankees IMO.

lol, somebody today said that the Yankees will be facing their future Ace, and future Shortstop :D

GrapevineSooner
10/13/2010, 09:56 PM

Season series was split 4-4...and the Rangers swept the Yankees in September without Hamilton in the lineup.

Now, that obviously could mean zilch when the series actually starts. But the fact the Rangers beat Rivera twice and had a golden opportunity to hang a blown save on him in another game prove the Rangers aren't afraid of Fruitbat.

If the Yankees win this series, they better make sure it's in six games or less. Because if I'm them, I sure as hell don't want to face Cliff Lee in a Game 7.

Scott D
10/14/2010, 02:30 AM
Grape you forget that Rivera can down one of those XXL Chalupas....he's got that advantage going for him.

Blue
10/17/2010, 03:06 AM
Giants are gonna win the World Series. Just saw that tonight.

soonerinabilene
10/17/2010, 09:47 PM
i dont think ive ever seen a ryan howard "live" at bat that didnt end in a strikeout. ive ssen highlights that make him appear to be able to touch a ball with his bat, but anytime i catch him live on tv, he looks like a damn pitcher trying to hit..

GrapevineSooner
10/17/2010, 10:10 PM
Grape you forget that Rivera can down one of those XXL Chalupas....he's got that advantage going for him.

Big deal. I'll bet Bengie Molina can eat 5 of them at one sitting. ;)

Collier11
10/18/2010, 02:12 AM
Both series 1-1, im going Yankees in 6 and Giants in 7

GrapevineSooner
10/18/2010, 10:40 AM
Both series 1-1, im going Yankees in 6 and Giants in 7

I think that depends on whether the Yankees can get better starting pitching as this series goes along.

I don't expect Texas to be able to tee off on every Yankee starter the rest of the way. But the Yankees bullpen is going to get worn out as this series goes along if they can't get consistent quality starts.

From that standpoint, it's a good thing the Yankees have Pettite going tonight against Lee. Even if he loses, he still needs to give the Yanks at least 7 quality innings, since you never know what you'll get with AJ Burnett.

Scott D
10/18/2010, 05:06 PM
You're usually good for 3 innings out of Burnett before he flakes.

soonerinabilene
10/18/2010, 08:49 PM
postseason Cliff Lee is simply amazing. the guy is a f@cking artist with a baseball.

GrapevineSooner
10/18/2010, 11:53 PM
postseason Cliff Lee is simply amazing. the guy is a f@cking artist with a baseball.

For those who remember the 1986 NLCS, Mike Scott of the Astros was named MVP of that series despite the Mets winning that series 4-2.

Houston damn near stretched that to a 7th game before succumbing in 16 innings in Game 6. Had they won that game, the Mets would have faced the terrifying prospect of facing Scott a third time in that series.

I have a feeling the Yankees are just as terrified at the prospect of facing Cliff Lee in a Game 7. So for all intents and purposes, I'd say New York is in do or die mode the rest of the series.

Hell, they may be cooked as it stands anyway since they can't hit Texas' starting pitching.

Which is quite the role reversal from all those ALDS series' in the 90's when it was the Yankee arms shutting down the high powered, steroid fueled Ranger attack.

Collier11
10/18/2010, 11:54 PM
Gotta give it to the Rangers, also very happy for Hamilton

ouleaf
10/19/2010, 08:39 AM
Rangers need to give all of that new TV contract money to keep Lee here for a long, long time. He'd even strike Chuck Norris out at this point.

Great win for the Rangers. Glad they were able to get some insurance in the 9th so Feliz could get some good experience. Write in Cliff Lee for Governor folks, he'll have to stay then.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2010, 09:15 AM
great game by Cliff Lee..glad he'll be on our team next season

GrapevineSooner
10/19/2010, 09:55 AM
great game by Cliff Lee..glad he'll be on our team next season

I love how Yankee fans automatically assume Lee will be signing with New York next year.

Let's see, he's pitched for four different teams over the last year and a half, finally ending up in Texas where he's a four hour drive from home in Benton, AR, the payroll can go nowhere but up, and they'll get an advance on the TV contract extension they just signed with FSN.

Lee's currently making $9 million a year and Rich Harden's $6.5 million contract will come off the books as well.

Factor in the difference in cost of living between NY and Texas and the lack of a state income tax here...

Yeah, it really won't be that hard for Greenburg/Ryan to pay him $20 million a year. It'll just come down to whether Lee wants to pitch close to him and whether he wants to really, really, REALLY cash in!!

texaspokieokie
10/19/2010, 09:59 AM
i would bet the yankee brass wish they had tried harder to acquire lee last summer.

they really blew it !!!

Blue
10/19/2010, 09:51 PM
How could you not root for Josh Hamilton?

Scott D
10/19/2010, 09:53 PM
it'd be pretty easy honestly...however, any attempt to not root for him is overridden by the fact of the team he is playing against.

JLEW1818
10/19/2010, 10:02 PM
why?? let me guess, is he now a "comeback player"

**** no. coke heads don't get to be in that category. he ****ed his life up, it was a choice.

people who come back from cancer do belong. J. Lester for example.

Blue
10/19/2010, 10:04 PM
why?? let me guess, is he now a "comeback player"

**** no. coke heads don't get to be in that category. he ****ed his life up, it was a choice.

people who come back from cancer do belong. J. Lester for example.

Pretty sure it was heroin.

Anyway, he's humble, he's paid for his mistakes, and he seems to have changed his life for the better, Something many addicts fail at. He's an American Hero in my Book. Can't wait for the movie. :pop:

Collier11
10/19/2010, 10:06 PM
He chose to F up his life and he chose to get his life straight, alot of ppl dont. Sure he is in the public eye so his story is more romanticized but the type of person he has become (and im not even talking about Christian although I do admire that about him) is a great story. The guy had everything, were talking about a guy who plays the outfield that could have Pujols type numbers so far in his career. He blew it and then he earned it all back, I love the story

Blue
10/19/2010, 10:57 PM
Another Dinger for hamilton. Texas has got to keep this team together. The offense is sick. Add a few pitchers and we're talking dynasty.

Blue
10/19/2010, 10:58 PM
And Cruz goes deep. Gotta love it. FU Yankees.

yankee
10/19/2010, 11:00 PM
I love how Yankee fans automatically assume Lee will be signing with New York next year.

Let's see, he's pitched for four different teams over the last year and a half, finally ending up in Texas where he's a four hour drive from home in Benton, AR, the payroll can go nowhere but up, and they'll get an advance on the TV contract extension they just signed with FSN.

Lee's currently making $9 million a year and Rich Harden's $6.5 million contract will come off the books as well.

Factor in the difference in cost of living between NY and Texas and the lack of a state income tax here...

Yeah, it really won't be that hard for Greenburg/Ryan to pay him $20 million a year. It'll just come down to whether Lee wants to pitch close to him and whether he wants to really, really, REALLY cash in!!

cliff lee has already stated that being from arkansas is not going to affect his decision whether or not to play for the rangers, so you can throw that out.

and state income taxes won't matter when you're making millions of dollars and playing for the greatest american sports franchise of all time.

but whatever makes you sleep better at night.

Dio
10/19/2010, 11:20 PM
...but Cliff did say winning the World Series might be enough to make him stick around. (no jinx)

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2010, 11:23 PM
DIO!!

GrapevineSooner
10/20/2010, 12:05 AM
cliff lee has already stated that being from arkansas is not going to affect his decision whether or not to play for the rangers, so you can throw that out.

His wife has a slightly different opinion.

"It's been a huge thing, totally, because we've never had it," Kristen says. "We've never played close to home. It's definitely nice."

and state income taxes won't matter when you're making millions of dollars and playing for the greatest american sports franchise of all time.

You act like getting Cliff Lee is a birth right. Kind of like how winning the ALCS is supposed to be a birth right, too, right?

Oh I'll sleep well, tonight.

My $55 million Rangers are up 3-1 on your $204 million Yankees ;). Guess the Steinbrenners forget to spend a little dough shoring up that pathetic bullpen.

If Lee decides to leave Texas for New York, good for him. He's already delivered something that these fans had been starved for 39 years to see.

A post season series win.

He doesn't owe us anything and I'm fine with that.

I'm just not fine with the belief that it's a foregone conclusion he'll sign with the Yankees simply because he wants to go to the highest bidder.

He's not Mark Teixera or A-Fraud.

yankee
10/20/2010, 12:28 AM
His wife has a slightly different opinion.

since cliff lee is the one making the money and cliff lee is the one that said the proximity to arkansas won't affect his decision and all...

GrapevineSooner
10/20/2010, 12:50 AM
since cliff lee is the one making the money and cliff lee is the one that said the proximity to arkansas won't affect his decision and all...

I'd like to see a link.

Collier11
10/20/2010, 01:11 AM
ALCS MVP so far, Molina, Hamilton, or Lee?

ouleaf
10/20/2010, 07:52 AM
Molina has done a hell of job calling all the games he's caught, and had a good night with the bat last night.

Hamilton has had a much better series than he did against the Rays.

MVP has to be Cliff Lee. To just completely shut the Yankees down in game 3 was so extremely important for the confidence team has now.

Lets hope CJ can finish them off so Cliff can go for Game 1 of the World Series.

Dio
10/20/2010, 09:15 AM
DIO!!

I know....big implied "IF" in that statement.

texaspokieokie
10/20/2010, 09:23 AM
rangers look superior to yanks in every phase of game !!!

soonerinabilene
10/20/2010, 09:25 AM
Molina has done a hell of job calling all the games he's caught, and had a good night with the bat last night.

MVP has to be Cliff Lee. To just completely shut the Yankees down in game 3 was so extremely important for the confidence team has now.

Lets hope CJ can finish them off so Cliff can go for Game 1 of the World Series.

i dont think you can go with lee for just one game. if it goes to 7 and he shuts them down again, then yeah its him. but if one game gets you the mvp, derek holland has a case for what he did last nite. id go with hamiltonright now.

ouleaf
10/20/2010, 11:05 AM
i dont think you can go with lee for just one game. if it goes to 7 and he shuts them down again, then yeah its him. but if one game gets you the mvp, derek holland has a case for what he did last nite. id go with hamiltonright now.

My thought is if Lee loses game 3, the first game at Yankee stadium and the Rangers are down 1-2 at that point, I think it might have completely swung the momentum of the series in favor of the Yankees, and who knows if they could have recovered.

Lee's dominance in game 3 I think definitely helped inspire confidence with the rest of the team they can win in that stadium, in october, and on the biggest stage the franchise has ever been on.

tommieharris91
10/20/2010, 11:17 AM

It's gotta be Hamilton, unless he cools off and Lee pitches another great game in Game 7.

It's pretty tough to deny .333/.500/1.200 with 4 HR and 7 RBI in 4 games.

texaspokieokie
10/20/2010, 05:09 PM
i feel it should be Lee.

texaspokieokie
10/20/2010, 05:13 PM

holland gave up the hit that scored the winning run in the 1st game. (it wasn't his run)

don't see how you can compare his work to that of Lee.

Collier11
10/20/2010, 10:42 PM
Im not a fan of any of the teams left and my Cards didnt even make the playoffs but I can say that other than the Reds getting swept, nothing will be better than seeing the Yanks and Phils lose...Cmon Giants and Rangers

GrapevineSooner
10/21/2010, 10:41 AM
Hamilton would get the ALCS MVP, hands down. Sure, Lee might get it if he shuts the Yankees down in Game 7 like he did in Game 6. Something tells me he won't get that opportunity Saturday night though ;)

And if the Yanks come back and win it, it goes to Cano. He's been the only Yankee to hit consistently hit thus far in the series.

GrapevineSooner
10/21/2010, 10:42 AM
My thought is if Lee loses game 3, the first game at Yankee stadium and the Rangers are down 1-2 at that point, I think it might have completely swung the momentum of the series in favor of the Yankees, and who knows if they could have recovered.

Fair point.

But what if Pettitte gets out of the first without allowing any runs? ;)

ouleaf
10/21/2010, 12:21 PM
Fair point.

But what if Pettitte gets out of the first without allowing any runs? ;)

You still have Lee dominating the Yankee lineup all night, and setting the tone that the Rangers can win in Yankee stadium.

GrapevineSooner
10/22/2010, 11:52 AM
There will be a champagne and ginger ale shower tonight.

Blue
10/22/2010, 09:02 PM
Cruuuuz!!!!!!!!!!!

Man I wish my team had a 3-4-5 like Hamilton, Guerrero, and Cruz. They're sick.

GrapevineSooner
10/22/2010, 11:36 PM

And since you could never provide a link (which probably means everything I quoted above is pure unadulterated bullsh), here's an actual link to something Cliff said about free agency (http://twitter.com/#%21/jonmorosi/status/28471532897) and living in Arkansas.

Cliff Lee: "I live in Arkansas. This is great for my family. It’s definitely the closest thing to home team-wise that I’ve ever played on."

TopDawg
10/23/2010, 12:14 AM
IMO as a Yankee fan, Hamilton was the clear choice for MVP.

The rest of this post should be read like a Choose Your Own Adventure book.

If you are a Rangers fan, read the first paragraph.
If you are a Yankee hater, read the second paragraph.

(Ranger fans) I'll enjoy watching him in the World Series. I really like this Rangers squad and their style of play. Lots of fun to watch. Pretty dominant performance they just had.

(Yankee haters) Having said that, I'll really enjoy seeing Cliff Lee in pinstripes next year. Bring on #28!

GrapevineSooner
10/23/2010, 08:27 AM
I'm sure TD's tongue might have been planted in his cheek on the last paragraph ;)

But just so I'm clear...

I don't doubt the possibility the Yankees could sign Lee in free agency. Obviously, they possess the kind of money and willingness to spend it on players that no other team in the majors can.

As I've said before, I don't blame the Yankees for this payroll disparity. That's on the MLBPA and the Owners. Well, moreso the owners because we know the players don't mind having one team in the league with the ability to pay out those kinds of salaries as it drives up the payrolls of other teams like the Red Sox, Angels, and now Rangers (since they're under new ownership).

But I digress.

If Lee simply wants to go to the highest bidder, there's nothing anybody else in baseball can do about it.

That having been said, I don't think that'll be the determining factor. I believe Cliff when he says that getting to, and possibly winning, the World Series will be a huge factor in where he signs in free agency.

And while the Rangers could never offer the kind of contract the Yankees can, Chuck Greenburg has said he'll increase the payroll to around $100 million. It's currently at $55 million with Lee's $9 million salary currently factored in.

And the Rangers just signed a 20 year 1.6 billion extension on their TV rights deal with an advance for next season.

I won't speculate on what the Rangers would be willing to offer Lee. But it's clear that unlike the previous owner, Chuck Greenburg and Nolan Ryan aren't going to leave town without presenting the best offer they can to Cliff.

And if he leaves...well, he helped get this franchise to the World Series in their history.

And I'll always be grateful to him for that as a Ranger fan.

Collier11
10/23/2010, 12:11 PM
Congrats Rangers fans