PDA

View Full Version : Leroy a serious question

olevetonahill
10/6/2010, 07:20 PM
You say yer a perfesser at a University. Yet yer always on line here talking ****
Just what is it that you teach ?

StoopTroup
10/6/2010, 07:21 PM
I thought we'd been through this lecture? :D

olevetonahill
10/6/2010, 07:22 PM
I thought we'd been through this lecture? :D

If hes ever said I missed it .:confused:

StoopTroup
10/6/2010, 07:24 PM
I guess it deserves to be told again. It's a quaint little tale about a boy who turns the World into a huge Gekko Farm.

olevetonahill
10/6/2010, 07:25 PM
Come on bro Im serious, I would just like to know what it is he Really teaches.

GKeeper316
10/6/2010, 07:26 PM
master debation?

Leroy Lizard
10/6/2010, 07:28 PM
Nothing right now. Sabbatical.

olevetonahill
10/6/2010, 07:36 PM
Nothing right now. Sabbatical.

ok , So when ya AINT SABBTEN what ya teach ? Sheesh :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
10/6/2010, 07:37 PM
http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/ASSETS/sabbatical.jpg

Leroy Lizard
10/6/2010, 07:52 PM
Yachting.

(But seriously, mathematics.)

olevetonahill
10/6/2010, 07:53 PM
Cool , why you aint werkin ?

Leroy Lizard
10/6/2010, 07:55 PM
I am. I write code pretty much all day. I have plenty of lulls in the action to annoy people on this board.

It makes life worth living.

AlbqSooner
10/6/2010, 08:42 PM
I guess it deserves to be told again. It's a quaint little tale about a boy who turns the World into a huge Gekko Farm.

A little boy named Gordon?

TUSooner
10/6/2010, 10:11 PM
Yachting.

(But seriously, mathematics.)

You didn't think it was poli-sci, history, philosophy or ENGLISH, didja?! :D

olevetonahill
10/6/2010, 10:30 PM
Dont you live somewhere in AZ. ?

Collier11
10/7/2010, 12:37 AM
He lives inside your head

Leroy Lizard
10/7/2010, 01:17 AM
He lives comfortably inside your head

FIFY

Collier11
10/7/2010, 01:18 AM
What prompted you to take a sabbatical?

SicEmBaylor
10/7/2010, 01:42 AM
You didn't think it was poli-sci, history, philosophy or ENGLISH, didja?! :D

All of which are far far more useful than math -- especially the first two.

sooner59
10/7/2010, 01:55 AM
Agreed. The average person learns all the math they need in life before college.

Leroy Lizard
10/7/2010, 02:44 AM
Agreed. The average person learns all the math they need in life before college.

Unfortunately too many students haven't learned even that much.

Leroy Lizard
10/7/2010, 02:46 AM
All of which are far far more useful than math -- especially the first two.

I would think the last two would be more useful, especially English. (I consider English the most important of all subjects. It isn't always taught well.)

I really don't buy much into ranking subjects. They're all important as far as I'm concerned, although some are clearly harder than others.

SicEmBaylor
10/7/2010, 03:32 AM
I hate math with a passion. I never made anything less than an A in every subject except for math, and I was lucky to get a low D. The best I ever did in any math class was geometry when I got a C.

God help me, I've just never understood math. I think part of the problem is that I found it so frustrating that I'd just mentally shut down at the first sight of a problem. Another problem is that I went to a Montessori school for four years (up until 2nd grade), and we were allowed to study whatever subjects we wanted without pressure. I never chose to study math on my own, so I wasn't exposed to any sort of math until 2nd grade when I went public.

The only math class I needed was statistics for the purpose of conducting and properly analyzing polling data. I barely got through that class. I'm not pollster nor would I ever want to be.

Crucifax Autumn
10/7/2010, 04:19 AM
Without math you'd have no way to keep up with the dates your beloved history took place. Nor would you have a computer on which to post your opinions on math.

GKeeper316
10/7/2010, 04:20 AM
same for me sic... my composite act score was a 21 because of my 14 in math.

starclassic tama
10/7/2010, 08:32 AM
math is the language of science. science helps us understand the natural world, so i'd say it's pretty important.

olevetonahill
10/7/2010, 08:38 AM
math is the language of science. science helps us understand the natural world, so i'd say it's pretty important.

I would to, IF yer a ****ing Scientist :rolleyes:

OhU1
10/7/2010, 09:01 AM

Yup. Without math we would be all still be out there stuck in the stone age fighting to feed ourselves most of the day.

Math education in the U.S.A. is an embarrasment. Any intelligent person should be able to "understand" math and be numerically literate. No one brags about being illiterate yet it is considered OK for a college educated person in the U.S. to admit they are "bad at math". Here's a good book everyone ought to put on their reading list. It is a good quick read, well worth the time. http://www.amazon.com/Innumeracy-Mathematical-Illiteracy-Consequences-Vintage/dp/0679726012

BTW I consider myself good with numbers but not adept with higher math - I consider this a personal failure due to my own early lack of academic discipline and the low expectations in mathematics education in the U.S. I regret not having a better base in this area.

Leroy Lizard
10/7/2010, 09:34 AM
Math is important because a lack of proficiency in math really limits one when pursuing fields of study. You don't want to shut off half the avenues available to you because of a lack of skill in a subject.

English is even more constraining, which is why I consider it even more important.

Taxman71
10/7/2010, 12:46 PM
Every car dealership in the country is happy that math in this country sucks....esp. when the prospective buyer asks the salesman "what would the monthly payment be on that?".

MR2-Sooner86
10/7/2010, 01:12 PM
Math is the most important subject I'd say. Math is everywhere.

Accounting
Economics
Engineering
Computers
Physics
Astronomy
Chemistry
Statistics

It's everywhere and you can't get away from it. English is important but civilizations with languages inferior to English have built impressive things because they understood math.

Taxman71
10/7/2010, 01:28 PM
Even the great artists need a keen sense of numbers.

http://blog.weekendkits.com/uploaded_images/starrynight-oil-paint-by-number-kit-766311.jpg

Collier11
10/7/2010, 01:31 PM
Vet knows how important math is, he could tell you how many times he had to watch the clock and make sure it wasnt time for his ladies boyfriend to be coming home :D

Tulsa_Fireman
10/7/2010, 01:31 PM
maths r dum

sooner59
10/7/2010, 02:01 PM
I'm still trying to come up with a reason as to why I took Calculus and Analytic Geometry II. I guess I can calculate the volume of oddly shaped things. :confused:

StoopTroup
10/7/2010, 02:06 PM
Math went and made it possible fer NASCAR drivers to git outta da likker delivery business.

Leroy Lizard
10/7/2010, 04:47 PM
Vet knows how important math is, he could tell you how many times he had to watch the clock and make sure it wasnt time for his ladyboy to be coming home :D

FIFY

Sorry, couldn't resist. (Hey! It was there! Taunting me!)

SicEmBaylor
10/7/2010, 05:00 PM
Without math you'd have no way to keep up with the dates your beloved history took place. Nor would you have a computer on which to post your opinions on math.

I wouldn't exactly say that recalling dates is math. And, hey, I'm glad there are people out there who are so good at math that I can sit and type on this computer and we can send people to the moon. I'm just not one of them.

SicEmBaylor
10/7/2010, 05:04 PM
same for me sic... my composite act score was a 21 because of my 14 in math.

Heh, we had the EXACT same Math score. My composite was a bit higher though.

English: 32
Reading: 34
Science: 26
Math: 14

The math seriously hurt. Actually, I think my science was a 25. I had way too many Zimas in college to remember! I never had a problem with science unless it involved numbers. Chemistry I killed me when I had to start balancing chemical equations.

starclassic tama
10/7/2010, 05:15 PM
I would to, IF yer a ****ing Scientist :rolleyes:

math is important to everyone, not just scientists. without math we would not have: any sort of decent architecture, medicine, technology of any kind, music (this can sort of be argued, but music theory relies on elementary math), etc...

GottaHavePride
10/7/2010, 08:01 PM
Heh. I stopped taking math classes around about Abstract Linear Algebra. I just couldn't visualize non-linear transforms in n-dimensional space.

Calculus was flippin' easy.

Leroy Lizard
10/7/2010, 08:11 PM
Heh. I stopped taking math classes around about Abstract Linear Algebra. I just couldn't visualize non-linear transforms in n-dimensional space.

Heh. No one really can. :D

SanJoaquinSooner
10/8/2010, 12:23 AM
Of course math is very important.

It is important enough that we shouldn't require every Tom, Dick, and Mary to take lots of math in high school and college. Doing so dilutes the quality of the product.

Now that the move to get all students in algebra by 8th grade, we have constructed an educational disaster. The Brown report documents over 100,000 students in Algebra I with only 2nd grade math skills. You don't think that affects the quality of instruction for the rest of the students?

And then it leads to 9th grade algebra classes filled with students who made Ds and Fs in 8th grade. What a wonderful job for a math teacher.

In California we have innumerable "CASHEE" classes for students who still need to pass the California High School Exit Exam. Wasting significant resources on reteaching 7th and 8th grade math to Juniors and Seniors, there is a huge opportunity cost to this.

Math is important. I'd do backflips to help anyone who wants to learn math to do so, no matter how weak they may be. But requiring lots of math poisons mathematics education.

Sic 'em, I've noticed Baylor now requires 4 years of high school math and 4 years of science for freshman admission. It's a quality ranking game universities play. But it's ridiculous that talented English majors or theatre arts majors, or other humanities majors have to have 4 years of math and science.

SicEmBaylor
10/8/2010, 12:28 AM
Sic 'em, I've noticed Baylor now requires 4 years of high school math and 4 years of science for freshman admission. It's a quality ranking game universities play. But it's ridiculous that talented English majors or theatre arts majors, or other humanities majors have to have 4 years of math and science.

I did have four years of math; they just weren't good four years of math.

If I remember correctly, at the time, Baylor only required 3 units. As I mentioned though, my ACT math score almost kept me out of Baylor. My admissions recruiter made me promise I'd hire a math tutor for my math requirements. She asked me how someone who got 2 30+ scores on their ACT could get a 14 in Math. I told her I was just really really talented. ;)

And let me tell you, that math score was hard earned.

Leroy Lizard
10/8/2010, 12:33 AM

Shhhhhh! Don't tell that to engineers. They think that calculus is the shining star of all math-dom, and that if you are good in calculus you are a freakin' genius.

olevetonahill
10/8/2010, 12:35 AM
Well every one else is telling their Math story so heres Mine

In 9th grade I made a solid D average in General math all year. (Hey I spent that whole time Droppin my Pencil and looking up skirts)
10 th Grade I move into AlgeBRA :hot:
A very Very very :hot: Chick sat next to me .
Teach gave us a test, Chick and I made the exact same score and the exact same answers :eek:
I Know I dint Cheat, But cause I was the D student I got accused and My test was graded an F . so I said **** it and went back to droppin my pencil;)

What I win ?

olevetonahill
10/8/2010, 12:36 AM
Do any of Yall still have a Slide rule ?
Anyone remember how to work that bitch ?;)

I DO :P

Soonerus
10/8/2010, 12:37 AM
Mathematicians are legit...

Collier11
10/8/2010, 12:38 AM
Legit nerds

sooner59
10/8/2010, 12:59 AM

True. Calculus I and II aren't hard, but the further I got the more I realize that I would never use this information. I couldn't imagine going on to stuff life Differential Equations. My buddy is a Civil Engineer and took all of those math classes. I was glad I was taking Cell Biology, Physiology, and Immunology. At least I would use those later on.

CrimsonJim
10/8/2010, 08:15 AM
Mathematicians are legit...

Legit nerds

Mathletes

btk108
10/8/2010, 09:15 AM
What prompted you to take a sabbatical?

Students like you and fitty nine

Collier11
10/8/2010, 11:31 AM
Im not a student

btk108
10/8/2010, 01:16 PM
Im not a student

you were.....things a little fuzzy?

StoopTroup
10/8/2010, 01:29 PM
Likkerletes UNITE ! ! !

jumperstop
10/8/2010, 02:27 PM
I work in a college Math, Engineering, and Science Testing Center. There are tons of kids here who don't know **** about simple arithmetic. And since I work at a community college they acctually offer arithmetic. The students complain when they can't use thier calculator on the test. Isn't that the whole point, to know how to do the math? I'm not going to argue that math is the most important subject, personally I think history is cause that was my major and my favorite subject :D, but knowing simple math and maybe some algebra will get you far in life. Or at least it will get you to the point where people like me are talking **** about you on a message board.

Crucifax Autumn
10/9/2010, 03:01 AM
Anyone who gets out of high school without basic knowledge of math, science, English, and history should have their citizenship revoked and the teachers who kept passing them and parents who let it happen publicly executed.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/9/2010, 08:33 AM
Anyone who gets out of high school without basic knowledge of math, science, English, and history should have their citizenship revoked and the teachers who kept passing them and parents who let it happen publicly executed.

Crucifax, what about requiring everyone to be fluent in at least two languages? ಠ⌣ಠ ಠ‿ಠ

olevetonahill
10/9/2010, 08:41 AM
Crucifax, what about requiring everyone to be fluent in at least two languages? ಠ⌣ಠ ಠ‿ಠ

jaun , I can go for that
Language #1 American English
Language #2 Okie Hillbilly

:P

SanJoaquinSooner
10/9/2010, 08:49 AM
jaun , I can go for that
Language #1 American English
Language #2 Okie Hillbilly

:P

That would be invaluable if you're pursuing a profession in messageboardology.

Leroy Lizard
10/9/2010, 08:52 AM

Foreign language requirements are getting more pointless each year. (Unless the second language is Chinese.)

SanJoaquinSooner
10/9/2010, 09:10 AM
Foreign language requirements are getting more pointless each year. (Unless the second language is Chinese.)

Actually, I agree on the requirements part. We over"require". Some majors are so full of requirements, student have almost no electives. And as I eluded to on the math topic, I'm all for people choosing to learn something, but it poisons the educational process when things become requirements.

olevetonahill
10/9/2010, 09:19 AM
That would be invaluable if you're pursuing a profession in messageboardology.

Hell I got My Degree in "Smartassology":P

StoopTroup
10/9/2010, 09:54 AM
I can check all of your degrees recitally.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/spongebobrectal2.jpg

StoopTroup
10/9/2010, 09:55 AM
BTW....always check your oral temp first then your rectical temp second.

Penguin
10/9/2010, 11:21 AM
I am currently back in school persuing a degree in Computer Science. I was also thinking about being a double major with Math 'cuz I already had a math minor. I got nearly a 100 in Discrete Math and I thought this double degree thing was going to be a shoe in.

Then, I was introduced to Abstract Algebra. 4 = 10 in the mod 3 "universe". ab=ba cannot be assumed. Geometry "math" involving flipping and rotating. I dropped that class (and my potential math degree) like a bad habit.

Ike
10/9/2010, 12:01 PM
True. Calculus I and II aren't hard, but the further I got the more I realize that I would never use this information. I couldn't imagine going on to stuff life Differential Equations. My buddy is a Civil Engineer and took all of those math classes. I was glad I was taking Cell Biology, Physiology, and Immunology. At least I would use those later on.

I used to think that too about math...Why would someone who isn't going to use it take it (even though I happened to be in the camp of people who would use it). My take on it now though is quite different. It's not that people NEED the deep understanding of math, but the more they have, the wider their options are. This goes for lots of things too. If I had a better understanding of biologic sciences, then I'd have even more options should I contemplate a career change.

I'll back it up with an example. Recently I've gotten interested in sound and image processing. If I had no understanding of math, I'd just have to stop at "well wouldn't it be cool if someone did XYZ". But because I understand math, even though this stuff is not my forte, I feel comfortable getting deeper into it, and playing around with it. Maybe something will come of it. Maybe not. But I'm going to have fun doing it. I have some ideas, and I'm excited to see where they lead.

Anyway, in the end it's not about whether or not you can see the use of something that should determine whether you learn about it. Because you can't see the future. But the more you feel comfortable with any given subject, the more you can apply it to ideas you might have later on. And you never know what kind of ideas you'll have in the future. Having a wide and diverse range of options available to you is a good thing, and going far in math can give you just those very options.

StoopTroup
10/9/2010, 12:06 PM
Math shamth....

n-rWnQphPdQ&p=9C0E1BB641B32F70&playnext=1&index=14

Ike
10/9/2010, 12:09 PM
Then, I was introduced to Abstract Algebra. 4 = 10 in the mod 3 "universe". ab=ba cannot be assumed. Geometry "math" involving flipping and rotating. I dropped that class (and my potential math degree) like a bad habit.

To me, thats where the fun begins.

Leroy Lizard
10/9/2010, 03:40 PM
To me, thats where the fun begins.

Yep. I got into Clifford algebra for the "fun" of it. (Not sure "fun" is the right word. More like interest or satisfaction.)

Ike, check out the book on mechanics by David Hestenes. It's fundamental physics but completely written using geometrical calculus, rather than vector algebra. (To me, I didn't see much difference between geometrical calculus and Clifford algebra, but that was a long time ago.)

OUthunder
10/9/2010, 04:00 PM

Or on Lincoln Blvd in the late 70's early 80's. :D

SanJoaquinSooner
10/9/2010, 09:21 PM
I saw the film The Social Network, about the creation of Facebook.

I got to thinking about how its spread somewhat parallels that of math requirements.

Harvard was the first university to require algebra for entrance (early 19th century). Soon afterward, other elites followed suit: U. Chicago, Cornell, and Princeton. Then Michigan. Eventually, most all the the big universities started requiring it. And now every po-dunk Tier 3 college requires it of their dull-normal admits, or else they will remediate.

Facebook started at Harvard. Then expanded to Yale, Princeton, and Stanford. Then the rest of the ivy leagues and a few other schools. Eventually, most all universities had it. And now every aunt gertrude and grandma Bessy go on Facebook to inform us they are doing a load of laundry.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/9/2010, 09:36 PM

I believe 4(mod 3) = 1, since when 4 is divided by 3, there is a remainder of 1.

And the commutative property of multiplication, ab = ba does not hold true for matrices, something that is studied in high school. The things one learns in abstract algebra can be related to the mathematics studied in K-12, but sometimes instructors don't work to make the connection.

Penguin
10/9/2010, 11:05 PM
Whatever floats your boat, dude. Play with your non-abelian groups all day long.

SicEmBaylor
10/9/2010, 11:07 PM
You know, this thread has me wanting to pick up an Algebra book to see if I can't teach myself what I failed to learn 10 years ago.

I actually think I could pick it up a lot better now that there's no pressure to learn. I might even see if there's a decent iPad app for it.

Collier11
10/9/2010, 11:13 PM
Yep. I got into Clifford algebra for the "fun" of it. (Not sure "fun" is the right word. More like interest or satisfaction.)

Ike, check out the book on mechanics by David Hestenes. It's fundamental physics but completely written using geometrical calculus, rather than vector algebra. (To me, I didn't see much difference between geometrical calculus and Clifford algebra, but that was a long time ago.)

Answer me this questions Leroy...with your level of math education which I am assuming is quite high due to being a college professor, could you teach me?

I was good at Reading, Writing, English, History, average at Science, bad at math.

I was good at Geometry but honestly, if you put anything Algebra or higher in front of me, could I learn it from you cus I was/am basically lost when it comes to math? I guess im asking if it is more the students ability to learn or the teachers ability to teach? Curious? Another odd thing is I can do fractions/percentages really fast in my head but outside of that, I suck at math

yermom
10/9/2010, 11:24 PM
i could probably at least get you through the first couple of Calculus courses...

yermom
10/9/2010, 11:28 PM
Every car dealership in the country is happy that math in this country sucks....esp. when the prospective buyer asks the salesman "what would the monthly payment be on that?".

this.

anyone giving out credit in general...

Collier11
10/9/2010, 11:29 PM
i could probably at least get you through the first couple of Calculus courses...

Yea but you love me

Leroy Lizard
10/10/2010, 12:37 AM
Answer me this questions Leroy...with your level of math education which I am assuming is quite high due to being a college professor, could you teach me?

I was good at Reading, Writing, English, History, average at Science, bad at math.

I was good at Geometry but honestly, if you put anything Algebra or higher in front of me, could I learn it from you cus I was/am basically lost when it comes to math? I guess im asking if it is more the students ability to learn or the teachers ability to teach? Curious? Another odd thing is I can do fractions/percentages really fast in my head but outside of that, I suck at math

I will answer seriously.

I would suggest an adult school or something like DeVry. You really need face-to-face communication.

For our remedial courses, our students go online. They use a work-at-your-own pace utility that is pretty cool. Most of the students go from adding fractions through solving simultaneous equations in about six months. It's the same online tool used by career tech colleges. Devry uses it and I think University of Phoenix does too.

Now, if you're wanting to learn Clifford algebra, then that's a different story. :)

yermom
10/10/2010, 12:40 AM
i almost understood the explanation of Clifford Algebra i just read. almost.

Collier11
10/10/2010, 12:40 AM
Im not presently wanting or caring to learn :D im just asking in general, with your level of expertise, could you teach me or is it more about my ability to learn math than your ability to teach?

olevetonahill
10/10/2010, 06:38 AM
Well on that note then Leroy , Can ya larn me to cipher 2 pluset 2 :confused:

Leroy Lizard
10/10/2010, 10:43 PM
Im not presently wanting or caring to learn :D im just asking in general, with your level of expertise, could you teach me or is it more about my ability to learn math than your ability to teach?

Some are more inclined to learn math than others, but all can learn it. It requires no special skills or intellect.

Uh-oh, I think I left myself wide open.

Collier11
10/10/2010, 11:17 PM
Well it may come as a surprise to you but I was just curious

Crucifax Autumn
10/11/2010, 12:13 AM

While I'm not really against this in principle, it doesn't really matter much since English is, and always has been the language of business.

SouthFortySooner
10/11/2010, 10:10 AM
I'm amazed LL hasn't presented a reciprocal of Vet's question.

olevetonahill
10/11/2010, 10:24 AM
I'm amazed LL hasn't presented a reciprocal of Vet's question.

I thanks he haz the Limited Teechin skilz ;)

Leroy Lizard
10/11/2010, 11:30 AM
I thanks he haz the Limited Teechin skilz ;)

It beats your limited learning skills. :D

olevetonahill
10/11/2010, 11:34 AM
Some are more inclined to learn math than others, but all can learn it. It requires no special skills or intellect.

Uh-oh, I think I left myself wide open.

It beats your limited learning skills. :D

It were Bound to Happen , The Leroid done started arguing wit hiself :D

Frozen Sooner
10/11/2010, 11:38 AM
I will answer seriously.

I would suggest an adult school or something like DeVry. You really need face-to-face communication.

For our remedial courses, our students go online. They use a work-at-your-own pace utility that is pretty cool. Most of the students go from adding fractions through solving simultaneous equations in about six months. It's the same online tool used by career tech colleges. Devry uses it and I think University of Phoenix does too.

Now, if you're wanting to learn Clifford algebra, then that's a different story. :)

Oh, ****. Is Leroy actually the Wyandotte Wildcat?

Leroy Lizard
10/11/2010, 11:40 AM
It were Bound to Happen , The Leroid done started arguing wit hiself :D

We just stepped back into middle school. :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
10/11/2010, 11:41 AM
Oh, ****. Is Leroy actually the Wyandotte Wildcat?

WTH is that?

Frozen Sooner
10/11/2010, 11:45 AM
It's an old thing from the unofficial board hosted by the University back in 1996-1997. A guy who couldn't figure out that his hostname was displayed with every post couldn't figure out how we figured out each one of his handles was actually the same guy. The domain was a DeVry address. The guy ended up putting himself on ignore, then melting down because his posts wouldn't show (to him only, the rest of us got a good laugh.)

yermom
10/11/2010, 11:48 AM
hmm

Leroy Lizard
10/11/2010, 01:24 PM
It's an old thing from the unofficial board hosted by the University back in 1996-1997. A guy who couldn't figure out that his hostname was displayed with every post couldn't figure out how we figured out each one of his handles was actually the same guy. The domain was a DeVry address. The guy ended up putting himself on ignore, then melting down because his posts wouldn't show (to him only, the rest of us got a good laugh.)

Oh.

Sorry, but I'm not the Wyandotte Wildcat. However, I have appeared on this board using three or four different handles since about 1999. Nothing nefarious, though. I just forgot my freakin' passwords.

And with each handle, I ended up pissing people off right and left. I still haven't found the right handle, I suppose. (My old avatar was so wretched that even the board mods asked me to change it.)

OhU1
10/11/2010, 01:31 PM
Oh.
(My old avatar was so wretched that even the board mods asked me to change it.)

And your current one is an improvement? :O

Leroy Lizard
10/11/2010, 01:35 PM
And your current one is an improvement? :O

Depends. Do you have a fear of clowns?

SanJoaquinSooner
10/11/2010, 09:08 PM
http://ih1.redbubble.net/work.2768371.2.flat,550x550,075,f.clint-eastwood-basic-math.jpg

Leroy Lizard
10/12/2010, 05:19 PM
http://ih1.redbubble.net/work.2768371.2.flat,550x550,075,f.clint-eastwood-basic-math.jpg

Sweet!!

tulsaoilerfan
10/12/2010, 10:35 PM
Of course math is very important.

It is important enough that we shouldn't require every Tom, Dick, and Mary to take lots of math in high school and college. Doing so dilutes the quality of the product.

Now that the move to get all students in algebra by 8th grade, we have constructed an educational disaster. The Brown report documents over 100,000 students in Algebra I with only 2nd grade math skills. You don't think that affects the quality of instruction for the rest of the students?

And then it leads to 9th grade algebra classes filled with students who made Ds and Fs in 8th grade. What a wonderful job for a math teacher.

In California we have innumerable "CASHEE" classes for students who still need to pass the California High School Exit Exam. Wasting significant resources on reteaching 7th and 8th grade math to Juniors and Seniors, there is a huge opportunity cost to this.

Math is important. I'd do backflips to help anyone who wants to learn math to do so, no matter how weak they may be. But requiring lots of math poisons mathematics education.

No there are actually still kids out there good at math; my son had Algebra 1 in 8th, Algebra 2 in 9th, and Geometry as a Soph and made Straight A's in all 3 subjects; myself, i never took anything beyond Algebra 2 and was quite happy with B's in both 1 and 2 :D

SicEmBaylor
10/12/2010, 10:48 PM
I was inexplicably good at Geometry. It was the ONLY math class I ever had that I didn't seem to struggle.

I've heard that people who flat out can't do Algebra can typically do Geometry and vice versa.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/12/2010, 11:01 PM
No there are actually still kids out there good at math; my son had Algebra 1 in 8th, Algebra 2 in 9th, and Geometry as a Soph and made Straight A's in all 3 subjects; myself, i never took anything beyond Algebra 2 and was quite happy with B's in both 1 and 2 :D

Yes, there are still kids good at math. Just not every Tom, Dick, or Mary, however.

Great to hear your son is.

Collier11
10/12/2010, 11:35 PM
I was inexplicably good at Geometry. It was the ONLY math class I ever had that I didn't seem to struggle.

I've heard that people who flat out can't do Algebra can typically do Geometry and vice versa.

I was the same

GKeeper316
10/12/2010, 11:39 PM

geometry is logic.

i was the same way... i flunked algebra 1 when i was a freshman, got all As in geometry. i retook algebra as a junior and barely passed. when i took algebra 2 as a senior, if it hadnt been for the little sophomore chicks that thought i was the shizzy and let me cheat off em, i wouldnt have passed. i just dont get math. and my dad's a math teacher ffs!

SanJoaquinSooner
10/12/2010, 11:54 PM
geometry is logic.

i was the same way... i flunked algebra 1 when i was a freshman, got all As in geometry. i retook algebra as a junior and barely passed. when i took algebra 2 as a senior, if it hadnt been for the little sophomore chicks that thought i was the shizzy and let me cheat off em, i wouldnt have passed. i just dont get math. and my dad's a math teacher ffs!

Don't tell me your Dad's name is Leroy.

Leroy Lizard
10/13/2010, 12:18 AM

I'm his daddy, all right.

GKeeper316
10/13/2010, 12:19 AM

o hell no!

my family's all from up north. you think i'm liberal? you should meet my parents.

Crucifax Autumn
10/13/2010, 02:01 AM
Damned Canadians!

Collier11
10/13/2010, 02:03 AM
Leroy, seriously...boxers or briefs?

Leroy Lizard
10/13/2010, 02:19 AM
Leroy, seriously...boxers or briefs?

I like you how you wrote "seriously" before answering the question. :D