PDA

View Full Version : Style points

oupride
10/6/2010, 11:27 AM
The only chance an undefeated Sooners team leaps Oregon and TCU is with style points, whereas I see them both going undefeated as well. I still think Ohio State will lose and Boise State will be easily lept. And I believe a 1-loss SEC team will play for the NC even though Oregon, TCU and Oklahoma are undefeated. Discuss.

cdlbdd
10/6/2010, 11:30 AM
The only chance an undefeated Sooners team leaps Oregon and TCU is with style points, whereas I see them both going undefeated as well. I still think Ohio State will lose and Boise State will be easily lept. And I believe a 1-loss SEC team will play for the NC even though Oregon, TCU and Oklahoma are undefeated. Discuss.

You are wrong.

oupride
10/6/2010, 11:36 AM
You are wrong.
I know I am making a lot of assumptions. Discuss?

MojoRisen
10/6/2010, 11:40 AM
SEC is out if Oregon, Ohio St and OU goes undefeated... 3 BCS undefeated teams there is no way in the BCS formula for that since they took into consideration loses in conference championships.

badger
10/6/2010, 11:42 AM
There will be too many undefeated teams to choose from for a one-loss SEC team to go to the title game. There has been too much "no fair" yelping from mid-majors to let that happen.

Consider this - teams that lose usually don't look good when they do it. Even questionable losses don't make a team look strong. When we "lost" to Oregon on a botched ref call, we still missed the game winning field goal and had just let Oregon run down and score after "recovering" the on-side kick.

If the top SEC team losses, there will be that doubt left from their single loss.

It's a different season from the :les: season where they could sneak in with two losses because they were overtime losses or whatever. This season, there needs to be no doubt that the best teams are in the title game... and doubt is created when a team loses.

KantoSooner
10/6/2010, 11:43 AM
There's going to be some interesting interplay between the BCS rankings and the polls. Right now, there is a bit of disconnect with OU, for one, having a significantly higher BCS score than poll ranking.
I don't think that that will hold up, because I think that the voters will begin to be influenced by the BCS ranking (sort of a feedback loop of a kind) that apparently more highly values strength of schedule. But still, you could have a weird situation in which a BCS pairing did not necessarily include a No. 2 in a human poll. Not likely, but possible.
I think OU has an outside shot to make the game; but clearly some other folk are going to have to lose for it to happen.

cvsooner
10/6/2010, 11:44 AM
Oregon will lose to somebody. Their defense is questionable and it will bite them on the road.

Ohio State will have its hands full with Michigan. TCU may slip up to somebody. Boise has to get past Nevada and Fresno State, still. TCU and Boise are both vulnerable, especially if a starting qb gets hurt.

I think OU can win the big 12 and probably should, though there are landmines left in the path. Right now, as much as it pains me to say it, we are not playing championship level football and we'd get drilled in a BCS game....unless somehow we can get back to the consistency we showed against Florida State.

But there's a long ways to go. How about we win out and then we'll see?

oupride
10/6/2010, 11:46 AM
SEC is out if Oregon, Ohio St and OU goes undefeated... 3 BCS undefeated teams there is no way in the BCS formula for that since they took into consideration loses in conference championships.
I see. Thanks. So style points come back into discussion. Oregon may appear stronger since UCLA defeated ut you think?

OUbasketball4life
10/6/2010, 11:48 AM
I have been thinking the same with 6 undefeated teams ranked that high (none will play each other). OU could possibly play NU in Big 12 Championship but I'm not completely sold that NU will win against the Whorns next week. I wouldn't get too caught up in "Style Points" because the computers and SOS is on OUs side. FSU & AF are looking like pretty good wins. Also, let's hope Mizzou stays ranked and I just don't believe in O-States Defense for them to stay ranked.

I don't see a team beating Bama -They are good...really good. They could slip up but Saban is very good coach (like him, love him or hate him---I like him) They still have the likes of #12 LSU and #8 Auburn too play later in the season.

Oregon will lose at least 1 game (Quote me on that one) I think they go to USC and play Arizona at home this year 1 of those games should be a loss.

Ohio State plays Wisconsin pretty soon I think that could be their 1st lost.

OU as some believe have an easy road to being undefeated I'm not buying it...@ Mizzou @ TAMU @ OSU...All Winabale games but all on the road thus far.

TCU still has a good AF team they have to beat so we shall see how that goes

I think everything will shake out it's still early and a lot of football is left to be played but I still see Boise dropping in rankings as long as the major conferences keep winning Va Tech win is not as impressive as it was when they played

badger
10/6/2010, 11:59 AM
Ohio State plays Wisconsin pretty soon I think that could be their 1st lost.

Not that tOSU looked really great in their near-loss to Illinoiz (thanks, Zooker. you suck) but da Badgers have not looked very good all year either. Look for either Meatchicken or the Fightin' Keith Nichols (go Keith!) to take the Buckeyes out... or maybe Iowa.

tfoolry
10/6/2010, 12:31 PM
Iowa will beat Ohio State in Iowa City on 11/20. I said Iowa would beat Penn State in Iowa City 2 yrs ago when Penn State was undefeated & #2 & no one believed me. Oregon is the other team that NEEDS to get beat & OU should be playing bammer for NC.

badger
10/6/2010, 12:41 PM
Oh I believed in Iowa over Penn State a few years ago - those fans LOVE their team, hence the high pay for Kirk Firenzzzzz

I know anything can happen at this point, but I really think this is a BCS meltdown year like last year, when the regular season ended with, like, five undefeated teams.

tator
10/6/2010, 01:29 PM
I like how

Discuss.

changed to

Discuss?

:D

badger
10/6/2010, 02:03 PM
DISCUSS ME! I'M A MAN! I'M 43! [hairGel]

:les: Let 'er DISCUSS!

:mack: Let me discuss that for Chris.

:rcmad: Why am I still an icon? Discuss.

:stunned: Too stunned to discuss.

:kelvin: Let's discuss this by phone repeatedly!

:eddie: cuss dis

ouduckhunter
10/6/2010, 02:43 PM
Oregon will lose at least 1 game (Quote me on that one) I think they go to USC and play Arizona at home this year 1 of those games should be a loss.

I hope that you're right on this, and I will quote you when it happens, but I have my doubts!! I know how they choke every year down the home stretch or have key injuries, but most years they come really close to doing big things. Living out here, I hear so much about them from the sports media and their lunatic fans, and this just may be the year that they make it to the big game. The Pac 10, for the most part, isn't very good this year, and those cocky, little quackers get just as lucky as the Domers and TOSU in pulling off last second wins when they need them. I think that if anything brings the quacks down, it will be their own arrogance, over confidence, sense of entitlement, and their absolute belief in all the love that ESpin is giving them right now. I gotta hope that they bring themselves down because at this point I sure don't have much faith in the rest of the Pac 10 getting the job done!

colinreturn
10/6/2010, 02:44 PM

incorrect.

josh09
10/6/2010, 03:41 PM

I think Boise St and TCU are in the same boat, and will easily be leapt if we were to go undefeated. If Ohio St. does manage to lose, then the fact that Oregon doesn't have a conference championship game to play in will hurt them. If we end up going undefeated, and beat an undefeated, 1 loss, or 2 loss Nebraska team, I think we'll have enough points to jump into the #2 spot at least.

Okie35
10/6/2010, 03:57 PM
Oregon will lose to somebody. Their defense is questionable and it will bite them on the road.

Ohio State will have its hands full with Michigan. TCU may slip up to somebody. Boise has to get past Nevada and Fresno State, still. TCU and Boise are both vulnerable, especially if a starting qb gets hurt.

I think OU can win the big 12 and probably should, though there are landmines left in the path. Right now, as much as it pains me to say it, we are not playing championship level football and we'd get drilled in a BCS game....unless somehow we can get back to the consistency we showed against Florida State.

But there's a long ways to go. How about we win out and then we'll see?

I kind of doubt that. Their defense has only allowed 7 points in the 2nd half. They are ridiculous when it comes to 2nd half adjustments the only team I think that might have a chance to beat them is Oregon State. I mean its a rivalry game and at Corvalis. I highly doubt he jump Oregon if they keep putting up 50s and stay undefeated. The fact that most analysts think "the Pac-10 is the best conference" won't help either.

w0lfe
10/6/2010, 03:59 PM
So I guess they dont take into consideration the points scored against Oregon? Only how many they score?

Okie35
10/6/2010, 03:59 PM
I think Boise St and TCU are in the same boat, and will easily be leapt if we were to go undefeated. If Ohio St. does manage to lose, then the fact that Oregon doesn't have a conference championship game to play in will hurt them. If we end up going undefeated, and beat an undefeated, 1 loss, or 2 loss Nebraska team, I think we'll have enough points to jump into the #2 spot at least.

Think Auburn of 05. I think the same will happen to us this year.

Okie35
10/6/2010, 04:00 PM
So I guess they dont take into consideration the points scored against Oregon? Only how many they score?

They don't but they take in consideration that their defense only gave up 7 points in the 2nd half so far this season. Double standards are weird.

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2010, 04:01 PM
All we need to do is win 9 games in a row with 6 of them away from Norman. How hard can that be? Pencil us in for #8.

Okie35
10/6/2010, 04:04 PM
All we need to do is win 9 games in a row with 6 of them away from Norman. How hard can that be? Pencil us in for #8.

You would think it would be that easy. It's not.

OU_Sooners75
10/6/2010, 04:21 PM

This is not true at all!

Oregon has just one team left that is a Top 25 team. Sure, USC may end up being one again before they play, but they only have Arizona left.

Of their games left, only 3 (UCLA, USC, and Arizona) currently have a winning record. UCLA is only one game over .500

TCU, well, they Air Force and Utah left that are ranked currently. They only play 3 teams with winning records at this point as well (Air Force, Utah, and San Diego State).

Opponents and future opponents record for both these teams as of 10-6-10:

TCU: 26-31
Oregon: 28-26

Opponents and future opponents record for OU: 37-17

Not to mention all but one team (Texas Tech, 2-2) OU has left to play currently has a winning record.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that OU jumps Oregon or TCU as long as they win. Margin of Victory no longer matters.

Also...no one loss SEC team will be there if there are at least two undefeated teams from BCS -AQ conferences.

OU_Sooners75
10/6/2010, 04:23 PM

You mean Auburn 2004?

josh09
10/6/2010, 05:15 PM

It could, but we were dominating EVERYONE in the 2004 season, and we had a better SOS. Auburn could not say the same. Plus, we were ranked #2 to begin the season anyways. This season, Ohio St. has by no means dominated teams. Oregon, on the other hand, has. If Oregon keeps dominating teams like they have for most of this season, then I will start to get worried. But going the Sooners going undefeated is all that really matters to me right now, we'll see how things shape up in a couple of weeks.

Okie35
10/6/2010, 06:22 PM
You mean Auburn 2004?

Yea I got caught up thinking about the bowl game which was in 05.

Okie35
10/6/2010, 06:24 PM
It could, but we were dominating EVERYONE in the 2004 season, and we had a better SOS. Auburn could not say the same. Plus, we were ranked #2 to begin the season anyways. This season, Ohio St. has by no means dominated teams. Oregon, on the other hand, has. If Oregon keeps dominating teams like they have for most of this season, then I will start to get worried. But going the Sooners going undefeated is all that really matters to me right now, we'll see how things shape up in a couple of weeks.

Like I said many analysts think the Pac-10 is the best conference this year and Oregon will face harder teams than we will. Ohio State will too. Oregon just beat the 2nd or 3rd best Pac-10 team and shut them out in the 2nd half. I can see us jumping TCU and Boise State but not Oregon or Ohio State if they win out.

Okie35
10/6/2010, 06:26 PM
This is not true at all!

Oregon has just one team left that is a Top 25 team. Sure, USC may end up being one again before they play, but they only have Arizona left.

Of their games left, only 3 (UCLA, USC, and Arizona) currently have a winning record. UCLA is only one game over .500

TCU, well, they Air Force and Utah left that are ranked currently. They only play 3 teams with winning records at this point as well (Air Force, Utah, and San Diego State).

Opponents and future opponents record for both these teams as of 10-6-10:

TCU: 26-31
Oregon: 28-26

Opponents and future opponents record for OU: 37-17

Not to mention all but one team (Texas Tech, 2-2) OU has left to play currently has a winning record.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that OU jumps Oregon or TCU as long as they win. Margin of Victory no longer matters.

Also...no one loss SEC team will be there if there are at least two undefeated teams from BCS -AQ conferences.

It'll change just as well as the teams we're going to play being in the top 25. The only way we'll jump to 2 is if we face an undefeated Nebraska team in the Big 12 ship and win convincingly. To be honest none of this matters now and won't if Bama loses to South Carolina.

Tigeman
10/6/2010, 06:34 PM
They don't but they take in consideration that their defense only gave up 7 points in the 2nd half so far this season. Double standards are weird.

Well good for us if we played them that we score all our points in the first quarter :D :rolleyes:

MojoRisen
10/6/2010, 06:44 PM
Let's see how it shakes out, Oregon hasn't been rated this high all year, not sure they are ahead in the BCS and still have a lessor schedule than us left.

I think we were third in the prelim BCS the other day, anyone check it this week with some of the computers in there?

GKeeper316
10/6/2010, 07:11 PM
ducks gotta get through zona in tuscon and they have a rivalry game in corvalis in november. boise's stock will drop considerably when thier pathetic schedule bites em in the ***. ohio state... before the season started i thought they'd run the table. now i dont think they'll get out of iowa with a win.

we're in great shape right now. toughest part of our season is over. if we can stay healthy and put the clamps on holgerson's offense when we go to poopwater, we play for the title.

mightysooner
10/6/2010, 07:27 PM

Hahaha.....

OU_Sooners75
10/6/2010, 09:08 PM
It'll change just as well as the teams we're going to play being in the top 25. The only way we'll jump to 2 is if we face an undefeated Nebraska team in the Big 12 ship and win convincingly. To be honest none of this matters now and won't if Bama loses to South Carolina.

Did you not bother to read my entire post?

OUs future schedule way tougher than oregon's or tcus. That will have a major impact. Ou will likely finish the season with a top ten SOS. Oregon won't come close to that.

OU_Sooners75
10/6/2010, 09:11 PM
Let's see how it shakes out, Oregon hasn't been rated this high all year, not sure they are ahead in the BCS and still have a lessor schedule than us left.

I think we were third in the prelim BCS the other day, anyone check it this week with some of the computers in there?

The one I saw had alabama 1 Boise 2 Oklahoma 3

Okie35
10/6/2010, 09:21 PM
Did you not bother to read my entire post?

OUs future schedule way tougher than oregon's or tcus. That will have a major impact. Ou will likely finish the season with a top ten SOS. Oregon won't come close to that.

I read that part but honestly it isn't any tougher than Oregon's but I agree its tougher than TCU's. Unless we play an undefeated Nebraska at the end of the season I don't see it being any harder. Missouri will probably be unranked when we play them(if they lose to A&M) and OK State may slip up as well. Texas Tech is terrible and Baylor is decent. I really don't see it being tougher unless we play Nebraska. Our best bet would be for the teams we beat to beat other decent/good teams.

Crucifax Autumn
10/6/2010, 09:30 PM
Jesus Christ. The prelim BCS figures that several sites publish has been linked 10 friggin' times in the last week and we are ahead of most of these teams with only Boise and Bama ahead of us. We know for a fact that Boise's strength of schedule falls every game they play from here on out and falls more every time VT loses.

Everyone needs to settle down and see what happens when the "real" numbers come out which will have us at #2 or #3.

Okie35
10/6/2010, 09:31 PM
Jesus Christ. The prelim BCS figures that several sites publish has been linked 10 friggin' times in the last week and we are ahead of most of these teams with only Boise and Bama ahead of us. We know for a fact that Boise's strength of schedule falls every game they play from here on out and falls more every time VT loses.

Everyone needs to settle down and see what happens when the "real" numbers come out which will have us at #2 or #3.

I agree. Its not a big deal to me just speculation right now.

OU_Sooners75
10/6/2010, 09:38 PM
I read that part but honestly it isn't any tougher than Oregon's but I agree its tougher than TCU's. Unless we play an undefeated Nebraska at the end of the season I don't see it being any harder. Missouri will probably be unranked when we play them(if they lose to A&M) and OK State may slip up as well. Texas Tech is terrible and Baylor is decent. I really don't see it being tougher unless we play Nebraska. Our best bet would be for the teams we beat to beat other decent/good teams.

Well about the only teams that will drastically change from now till their final records will be Baylor and iowa state. Tech will likely finish 6-6 this season. Everyone else will most like have winning records. Well maybe cu will be even as well. Oregon will have guaranteed two with losing records. And a couple more headed that way.

Oregon's schedule will not even come close to ou's schedule strength.

Sorry but we will have to agree to disagree on that.

OU_Sooners75
10/6/2010, 09:42 PM
Crux we won't be 2 or 3. That one didn't have the Harris poll included. We should be 4 or 5.

Crucifax Autumn
10/6/2010, 10:24 PM
It replaced the Harris with the AP and those 2 are almost always identical or very close. We'll be 2-3, probably 3.

Okie35
10/6/2010, 11:11 PM
Well about the only teams that will drastically change from now till their final records will be Baylor and iowa state. Tech will likely finish 6-6 this season. Everyone else will most like have winning records. Well maybe cu will be even as well. Oregon will have guaranteed two with losing records. And a couple more headed that way.

Oregon's schedule will not even come close to ou's schedule strength.

Sorry but we will have to agree to disagree on that.

As far as the teams we've defeated beating other decent teams yes I agree w/ you on that aspect.