PDA

View Full Version : Phelps Family

StoopTroup
10/6/2010, 08:30 AM
The SCOTUS takes a look today at...."Does the First Amendment protect protesters at a funeral from liability for intentionally inflicting emotional distress on the family of the deceased?"

I know many of us have our thoughts and opinions....

It's just a damn shame that the idea of taking a few moments to stop and pull your car over as a Funeral Procession passes has now become something that the Phelps Family had to push to the point it requires the SCOTUS to consider a law that helps grieving families from being tortured by someone who not only isn't invited to celebrate the Life of a Families Loved one as they pass on to God's Grace.

If God hates fags.....he's gonna deal with them when he gets good and ready. He doesn't need you out there everyday hurting people's feelings.

It's a difficult task for even one human to go through one day without negatively affecting someone else life and these folks go out of their way to do it by hiding behind "Freedom of Religion".

I know we've nearly exhausted talk about this here on the Oval.....but today we face yet again another Phelps Family Circus.

I pray that the Phelps Family and any others who seem to feel the need to push hate speech during such a solemn event which each and everyone of us must face in our lives....that they find presence of mind and quiet themselves and return to concentrating on making a positive change in the lives of their own Family. I pray that the kids in their Family learn to find peace in their hearts and someday become an example of good instead of becoming a divining rod of hatred in the name of God.

saucysoonergal
10/6/2010, 09:20 AM
Agreed. Those folks are scum.

yermom
10/6/2010, 09:27 AM
is it wrong to hope someone is protesting Fred Phelps' funeral soon? :O

C&CDean
10/6/2010, 09:53 AM
Or is it wrong to hope some distraught family member opens fire and kills all of them sons-a-bitches?

royalfan5
10/6/2010, 10:04 AM
Considering those *******s turn up everywhere at all times, I've always wondered where **** they are coming up with the money to fund their bull****.

olevetonahill
10/6/2010, 10:43 AM
Or is it wrong to hope some distraught family member opens fire and kills all of them sons-a-bitches?

Yup, that should be an easy Case of Temporary Insanity ;)

Considering those *******s turn up everywhere at all times, I've always wondered where **** they are coming up with the money to fund their bull****.

They like Suing Folks who **** with them, some of that pack are Lawyers, they Sue the hell out of folks who Infringe on 'Their Rights" then use that money to fund More of their BS:mad:

landrun
10/6/2010, 11:32 AM

I've wondered the same thing. But I guess it really doesn't take that much money to hope in a car, by gas and a poster board to write something on it then stand for free somewhere with your STUPID signs. :(

I think the world needs to get together and start picketing these guys homes etc.. and make their lives so miserable that they decide what they're doing isn't worth it.

SoonerAtKU
10/6/2010, 12:06 PM
Topeka is a ****hole. I'd use every excuse to get out on the road too.

That being said, I hope lightning strikes their "church" and they realize that God Hates Fred.

walkoffsooner
10/6/2010, 12:35 PM

No its not wrong to hope the right thing is done.:eek::eek:

49r
10/6/2010, 01:10 PM
I think the world needs to get together and start picketing these guys homes etc.. and make their lives so miserable that they decide what they're doing isn't worth it.

That would be a good idea except they're never home...

JohnnyMack
10/6/2010, 01:11 PM
As much as I despise their message, I actually hope that they don't lose their ability to continuing protesting. It would create a nasty kind of slippery slope as far as I'm concerned.

olevetonahill
10/6/2010, 01:42 PM
As much as I despise their message, I actually hope that they don't lose their ability to continuing protesting. It would create a nasty kind of slippery slope as far as I'm concerned.

If I understand the case. Its not about them being able to Protest . Its about the Ability of some one being able to sue and collect damages for Mental anguish er somepun like that

LePetomaine
10/6/2010, 02:00 PM
If I understand the case. Its not about them being able to Protest . Its about the Ability of some one being able to sue and collect damages for Mental anguish er somepun like that

I think Otis is correct here. Free speach rights are very protected in this country (which I support), but they are not without limits. i.e. the old adage "you can't shout fire in a crowded theatre." If I want to protest in this manner, I probably cannot be arrested. However, if a state's tort laws allow for an agrieved person to recover damages for my intentional effort to inflict harm in an emotionally charged atmosphere; well, I should probably take that into consideration before I take my signs out into the street. I'll be curious to see where Scalia falls on this one.

StoopTroup
10/6/2010, 06:13 PM
Seems the court is seriously considering making some changes so that this cult won't be able to use their legal clout to harrass folks who are trying to hold a private service for their loved ones.

I hope the cult ends up getting sued for every dollar they've misused to harrass people with. If the cult wants to continue to hide their hatred behind God's message....I'm OK with that as God will have the final word on what is right and wrong.

Tonight's National News broadcast had many of the Family's estranged members saying that the old fart who got disbarred from being a Lawyer has just used all of this to get even with the actions leveled against him as an attorney. For me....he seems like a very angry sad little man who's physical appearance seems to be nearly cancerous in form.

I feel for the kids and the parents this man has manipulated with his hatred.

And Johnny....if this all hurts our way of life in America...I'll believe it when I see it. What I am seeing is a SCOTUS that realizes that we all want a fair America....but we don't want legal loopholes that hurt the many because of the few.

The Phelps think that they can hide behind God and be able to hurt people who haven't harmed them in any way. It's not right. It's as wrong as someone taking things into their own hands and doing a driveby of the Phelps Family. If these little protests the Phelps Family hold are worth every penny to them....they will exhaust every resource they have fighting all of this....but....what I figure is, once they see how broke they are going to be from being sued for damages....it will all end. No one is going to take away their right to protest....they are just going to make is very expensive if they hurt people's Families at their most solemn moment.

olevetonahill
10/6/2010, 06:16 PM
Heres a Yahoo article on this
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_supreme_court_funeral_protests

starclassic tama
10/6/2010, 06:22 PM
so do they have security that travels with them? i can't believe somebody hasn't beaten these people to the point of death or near death...

AlbqSooner
10/6/2010, 06:25 PM
I am a Christian. I try to live my life in a Christ-like manner to the extent a human being can do that. I know that the Bible tells Christians to "exhort your brethren". If you are the least bit interested in learning more about Christ, I will share my experience and training with you.

I am sure that the Bible does not tell us that as Christians we are supposed to go around spewing hateful messages to non-believers. All of the Epistles of Paul, indeed the entire message of Christ is to love your fellow man. Even if you do not agree with him/her. That being said, I find it hard to believe that God HATES fags, or anyone else for that matter. Grace is God accepting you warts and all.

That being said, I personally feel that the Phelps clan and followers deserve God's justice rather than His grace. Yeah, I am a sinner in that regard.

olevetonahill
10/6/2010, 06:27 PM
The article said the SC will make a ruling in the Spring .

StoopTroup
10/6/2010, 06:34 PM
The article said the SC will make a ruling in the Spring .

That's really good too as I think this isn't something that the SCOTUS should have just took a look at one day and leveled a decision on. I know it seems to be a Black n White type issue for most folks...but I surely hope it's done in a way that stops this crud the Phelps Family is doing and reinforces the Greatness of our Country and it's laws.

oudavid1
10/6/2010, 06:38 PM
That family makes me love gay people.

oudavid1
10/6/2010, 06:38 PM
no homo

StoopTroup
10/6/2010, 06:42 PM
I see where your coming from I think. :pop: :D :hot: :eek:

yermom
10/6/2010, 06:42 PM
i wonder how this would be if their signs said "Thank God for dead presidents"

really, i just don't see how you can ban protests, but the president seems to be able to do it though. i don't remember anything in the constitution about "free speech zones"

StoopTroup
10/6/2010, 06:53 PM
Protesting can be done without walking up to someone's Father and telling them to their face that their Son or Daughter died because of the sins of our Country.

If Phelps had done that to me.....he wouldn't have had to worry about the SCOTUS decision.....I would have broken one of God's Commandments right then and there.

olevetonahill
10/6/2010, 07:03 PM
Protesting can be done without walking up to someone's Father and telling them to their face that their Son or Daughter died because of the sins of our Country.

If Phelps had done that to me.....he wouldn't have had to worry about the SCOTUS decision.....I would have broken one of God's Commandments right then and there.

You would have committed Adultery :eek:

StoopTroup
10/6/2010, 07:05 PM
Yeah....I'd have ****ed him good. :D

olevetonahill
10/6/2010, 07:13 PM
Yeah....I'd have ****ed him good. :D

What I thot :D

Okla-homey
10/6/2010, 08:33 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Males who feel compelled to rant and mount a soapbox to publicly condemn homosexuality are all too often mounting males, or being mounted by males, on the down-low. In Phelps' case, I suspect he has had more young men climax inside him than all the livestock in Stillwater.

AlbqSooner
10/6/2010, 08:38 PM
C'mon Homey you are getting carried away. I mean all the livestock in Stillwater?;)

Okla-homey
10/6/2010, 08:41 PM
C'mon Homey you are getting carried away. I mean all the livestock in Stillwater?;)

well, at least the sheep.

yermom
10/6/2010, 08:52 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Males who feel compelled to rant and mount a soapbox to publicly condemn homosexuality are all too often mounting males, or being mounted by males, on the down-low. In Phelps' case, I suspect he has had more young men climax inside him than all the livestock in Stillwater.

heh.

so true.

Boarder
10/6/2010, 10:17 PM
Scotus Blog has the best coverage. Here's one of the posts:

http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/10/bonus-round-up-snyder-v-phelps/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+scotusblog%2FpFXs+%28SCOTUSbl og%29

They also have links to both oral arguments. It's good reading.

StoopTroup
10/7/2010, 10:34 AM
Oral arguments.....it just gets more and more real for Mr. Phelps. Homester...SPEK!

Chuck Bao
10/7/2010, 11:44 AM
Scotus Blog has the best coverage. Here's one of the posts:

http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/10/bonus-round-up-snyder-v-phelps/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+scotusblog%2FpFXs+%28SCOTUSbl og%29

They also have links to both oral arguments. It's good reading.

Thanks for the link, Boarder. Spek. It is very interesting reading. Although I detest everything that the Phelps Family does and stands for, I still hope that the SCOTUS rules on their side on this issue. I would hate for our First Amendment Rights to be pealed back to exclude personal, hateful and obnoxious speech. We already have libel laws that protect individuals against slander. It is a very slippery slope as I see it.

And strange as it may seem, the Phelps family's protests at the funerals of our young fallen heroes are backfiring terribly (for them). Actually, it is getting more people attending the funerals and showing their respect and trying to keep the nutso protesters away from the family. I very much appreciate the Patriot Guard volunteering to do that.

http://www.patriotguard.org/

My main point is that we can continue to do that even with a SCOTUS ruling in the Phelps family favor.

Boarder
10/7/2010, 12:45 PM
http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/09-751.pdf

Here's a link to the oral arguments directly. It's some pretty good reading. You can tell that Phelps is not stupid, just terribly ignorant and misguided (IMO).

My prediction is that the Court makes a rule for captive audiences, such as funerals, which would mirror assault type confronations. The bad thing is that the rule could lead to other gatherings as a captive audience. For instance, you would have to be careful about directed personal comments while protesting a Democratic National Convention.