PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Rumors/Changes Thread

Collier11
10/6/2010, 12:56 AM
While many of us have speculated that Muschamp is the lead guy if UGA fires Richt, I read a report yesterday that said that Mike Stoops would be target #1

I cant imagine how New Mexicos coach keeps his job much longer...

Blue
10/6/2010, 01:00 AM
Miles is on a very hot seat. he's a joke down here and apparently everywhere.

Collier11
10/6/2010, 01:04 AM
whats funny to me, as much as I cant stand lester is that he has a nearly 80% winning % at LSU, and a National title. I realize last year sucked for them but if he goes 10-2 or 9-3 this year they probably need to lay off

kevpks
10/6/2010, 01:13 AM
North Carolina is a mess. I wonder if Davis will get canned.

sooner59
10/6/2010, 01:15 AM
Lester isn't going anywhere....yet. M. Stoops to Georgia is intriguing. Who knows what Georgia is willing to go after. Personally, I realize Bob is building a giant house here, so I could care less who changes coaches. As long as we keep Bob, its just who is coaching the team we beat from now on.

Blue
10/6/2010, 01:26 AM
Mike would be wise to stay in AZ and recruit Cali. Georgia, for some strange reason, is a no-win situation.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/6/2010, 01:52 AM
UGA has always been a no win thing, even more so since Dooley left the coaches spot. They are still trying to relive the Herschel Walker years.

swardboy
10/6/2010, 06:47 AM
Is this the year that JoePa makes that touchdown in the sky?

Sooner in Tampa
10/6/2010, 06:50 AM
UGA is in a SUCKAGE spot. They border Florida, but they can't pull many blue chippers away from Miami, FSU, UF, and USF. Georgia alone doesn't have enough players to support an annual top 25 program. They can't go to South Carolina and get players...Clemson and USC have them on lock down (for the most part). They are in the SEC...the best conference in the entire history of college football.

UGA is just plain screwed

oumartin
10/6/2010, 07:20 AM
UGA is in a SUCKAGE spot. They border Florida, but they can't pull many blue chippers away from Miami, FSU, UF, and USF. Georgia alone doesn't have enough players to support an annual top 25 program. They can't go to South Carolina and get players...Clemson and USC have them on lock down (for the most part). They are in the SEC...the best conference in the entire history of college football.

Bologna, they pulled the overall number 1 pick in the NFL draft two years ago out of Florida. There are plenty of players in the state of Florida and even enough in the state of Georgia. there is no reason they aren't a top 8-12 program year in and year out and make the occassional run at a NC.

kevpks
10/6/2010, 07:22 AM
Bologna, they pulled the overall number 1 pick in the NFL draft two years ago out of Florida. There are plenty of players in the state of Florida and even enough in the state of Georgia. there is no reason they aren't a top 8-12 program year in and year out and make the occassional run at a NC.

I agree. They are just one of those underachieving potential college football powerhouses...like Texas.

ashley
10/6/2010, 07:24 AM
True. A great recruiting base, lots of money and fabulous facilities.

OUinFLA
10/6/2010, 07:43 AM

I don't think their in that bad of recruiting shape.
Compare them to OU.

Atlanta alone has more population than the entire state of Okla.

We border Te?as, but still pull top players away from UT, aTm, TT, Hou, Bay, SMU, TCU.

Oklahoma supports 2 large Universities, Ga supports 1 large and G Tech which is not a "large" school.

I think it boils down to coaches and assistants and the relationship they develop with HS players. As well as facilities and opportunities. Ga has great facilities, and is well exposed nationally. Still, "the coach" is the main issue IMO.

In the SEC, they have some great coaches, they didn't always have them. Bama went through a period of "OU-90's" and seem to have rebounded nicely with less state population than Gerogia. You think it is the state? or is it the coach at Bama that has resurected the program from the dead?

I feel BS resurected us from the dead of the 90's and we had less population advantage than Ga has in a conference that was as difficult to win in at the time he begin to emerge as the SEC is now.

I believe a coaching change is in order for UGa, and it will take the right man a few years to resurect the program. But, I believe it can be done.

StoopTroup
10/6/2010, 07:51 AM
We border Te?as

I prefer to say....they border us. They are a Hurricane Levy to keep the really bad weather and flood waters from ruining our beloved hunting and fishing areas. :D

Also....they are a weigh station for transient migratory workers. That way we get the pick of the litter. Any of them that can make the journey across that ****hole of a State are worthy of working here.

Sooner in Tampa
10/6/2010, 08:10 AM
I prefer to say....they border us. They are a Hurricane Levy to keep the really bad weather and flood waters from ruining our beloved hunting and fishing areas. :D

Also....they are a weigh station for transient migratory workers. That way we get the pick of the litter. Any of them that can make the journey across that ****hole of a State are worthy of working here.

And it's a good place for our sewage to go when we flush our toilets :P

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2010, 08:25 AM
Is this the year that JoePa makes that touchdown in the sky?

That crossed my mind when I saw PSU was starting a true FR at QB. Will Joe be around to see this guy graduate?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/6/2010, 08:48 AM
Good thing for PSU is that they have the young coach in waiting, Galen Hall.

BillyBall
10/6/2010, 08:48 AM

Stafford was from Texas.

Sooner in Tampa
10/6/2010, 08:50 AM
I don't think their in that bad of recruiting shape.
Compare them to OU.

Atlanta alone has more population than the entire state of Okla.

We border Te?as, but still pull top players away from UT, aTm, TT, Hou, Bay, SMU, TCU.

Oklahoma supports 2 large Universities, Ga supports 1 large and G Tech which is not a "large" school.

I think it boils down to coaches and assistants and the relationship they develop with HS players. As well as facilities and opportunities. Ga has great facilities, and is well exposed nationally. Still, "the coach" is the main issue IMO.

In the SEC, they have some great coaches, they didn't always have them. Bama went through a period of "OU-90's" and seem to have rebounded nicely with less state population than Gerogia. You think it is the state? or is it the coach at Bama that has resurected the program from the dead?

I feel BS resurected us from the dead of the 90's and we had less population advantage than Ga has in a conference that was as difficult to win in at the time he begin to emerge as the SEC is now.

I believe a coaching change is in order for UGa, and it will take the right man a few years to resurect the program. But, I believe it can be done.

UGA doesn't recruit Florida nearly as well as we recruit in * ...granted, their starting QB is from Tampa...but overall we do better than they do recruiting across borders.

Point taken on the Atlanta deal.

Coaching is a problem...but how long has it been since UGA was really relevant?

I do think Richt will be out after this year unless UGA shows great improvement the remainder of the year...the wild card in it all is: Does he get another year after struggling with a true frosh at QB and not having Green for the first part of the year? UGA has shown great patience with Richt in past.

oumartin
10/6/2010, 08:56 AM
Stafford was from Texas.

you could be right about that. I just know he was born in Tampa. So, they can obviously recruit texas too.

badger
10/6/2010, 08:59 AM
Wouldn't it be funny if Georgia got their legendary coach's son for next season? You know... the other Dooley, the one currently at... ROCKY TOP! :eek:

Going from Fulmer to Kiffin to Dooley to another coaching vacancy in three seasons would just KILL vol fans. It nearly killed them last year to lose Lane so fast.

StoopTroup
10/6/2010, 09:02 AM
http://www.doggiedooley.com/images/Doggie%20Dooley%20Color%20Logo%20copy.jpg

badger
10/6/2010, 11:34 AM
I am checking over at Coaches Hot Seat for their Top 10, here's who's listed:

1- Minnesota's Tim Brewster: He's so gone. They built a new stadium on campus and with the dawning of a new age of the Big Ten, they need a fresh start.

2- Wazzu's Paul Wulff: Gone with the new Pac-12 era. Those guys need a Mike Leach-type who can bring quirkiness to a smaller school in a big conference.

3- A&M's Mike Sherman: Why do people keep saying this guy's getting fired? Yes, he's not beating Texas or OU, but neither is Mike Gundy and you don't see him up here on the Hot Seat board! A&M can't just keep dumping coaches and they've dumped too many lately to let another go so quickly.

4- NM's Mike Locksley: If they care about football New Mexico???

5- UGA's Mark Richt: They care about football in Georgia, but it's a no-win situation to the next guy in. They'll have to plunk Saban-like money down to get a big name that will impress the donors, but they better give that guy a few years like Bammer did before the fans get too riled up over a 6-6 season and bowl loss to the Pokes.

6- ASU's Denny Erickson: How did this guy sink this program so fast? Must have thought he could run it like an NFL one - no recruiting! Players will just get drafted to our program! Yeah! Just a failure for such high hopes and expectations.

7- Rutger's Greg Schiano: Seriously? THIS guy? After all he's done for a program that usually does nothing? Wow. You guys suck if you let this guy go.

8- UNT's Todd Dodge: Yeah, Texas recruits are just clamoring to get to play in a stadium that's smaller than their high school's, I'm sure. I can't believe Dodge would ruin is reputation by going here, even if was jumping directly to a head coaching job from high school.

9- CU's Coach Hawk: Proof that winning at Boise State doesn't mean ^&*%. His contract won't get renewed as they move to the Pac-12, a convenient way to oust a failure without having to pay any more money out.

10- SC's Lane Kiffin: Tee hee. Karma, beyonces.

tommieharris91
10/6/2010, 11:46 AM

Stafford came from Texas. His parents are both Georgia alums.

goingoneight
10/6/2010, 11:50 AM
Where are all of those people who want our assistants fired? Hello?

Anybody?

Well... UGA was a perrenial SEC monster for a few years til the fans got grouchy and called for the assistants' jobs. They spoke, Richt listened.

The result... 1-4.

In short, MNCs are a rare bounce of the ball your way when you're coached well enough to contend in the first place.

OklahomaTuba
10/6/2010, 11:56 AM
11. Oklahoma A&M's Mike Gundy: Cause T-boone thinks his hair looks like ****, and owns the joint.

HBick
10/6/2010, 12:29 PM
KEVIN WILSON FOR UGA!!!!

just an idea...

And I figured this would be a much better idea than the overused "FIRE KW" threads that pop-up occasionally.

Please note the sarcasm in all three lines above

Collier11
10/6/2010, 12:49 PM

HEH!

The Temple coach, remember I said it

Booner
10/6/2010, 03:03 PM
I think a big problem with all of the hotseat talk is that many schools don't have the money to buy out the current coach and hire a new one (see Colorado). I think 5 years is the "new normal" for most coaches given the disaster of an economy the politicians have created (I don't see it turning around anytime soon).

oumartin
10/6/2010, 03:09 PM
hawkins contract is up this year isn't it?

dude is 4-1. Maybe he's like pro athletes. performs his last year of the contract to get another one

badger
10/6/2010, 03:25 PM
hawkins contract is up this year isn't it?

dude is 4-1. Maybe he's like pro athletes. performs his last year of the contract to get another one

Even if they go to a sh!t tier bowl (which is where you go when your fanbase doesn't travel well, regardless of your record, unless you win the conference) I still see them dumping Hawk. They would have dumped him sooner if they could afford it

HBick
10/6/2010, 03:32 PM
I always thought Leach would wreak havoc in the Pac-10, how would everyone feel about him going to a school like CU or ASU

TMcGee86
10/6/2010, 03:43 PM
Leach would be perfect for Boulder.

And I would love it now that they are out of the Big12.

goingoneight
10/6/2010, 03:57 PM
I wonder if any of those programs will want John Blake? I mean, if you read any rival message board, it's clear he was responsible for OU's 2000 National Championship season! :D

sooner59
10/6/2010, 04:47 PM
UNT could actually make a move to become a better program soon. Todd Dodge could be replaced, and they are constructing a much bigger stadium across I-35 from their current one as we speak. A big new stadium and new coach could spark recruiting down in Denton. The problem is, they need to go after a June Jones-type coach that can get things done and turn a program around.

Scott D
10/6/2010, 04:53 PM
I've heard that Curly Bill is the leading candidate for the UNM job.

I for one am looking forward to trolling UNM message boards to rip his latest performance as a coach. :D

GKeeper316
10/6/2010, 07:18 PM
you could be right about that. I just know he was born in Tampa. So, they can obviously recruit texas too.

not really... if i was one of the dozen or so hs quarterbacks coming out of texas, and *, aTm and tech were loaded at qb, what else are you supposed to do but look for an out of state program. picking georgia doesnt imply that he was recruited away from an in state school.

Soonermagik
10/6/2010, 07:25 PM
Georgia wants a D coach, because they play in the SEC. I think Mike would like to take a Georgia or LSU job, but he's spent years building up Arizona. He's got 2 very populated states to recruit from. With SC being down he can make Arizona a true monster.

I think Mike might wait to see if SC opens up. By that time they would likely be off probation and he could become the #1 coach in the nation. SC always has talent, because they are the most populated state with almost 0 competition or the top players. Mike could make SC relevant again. Pete would have never left if it weren't for the sanctions. Trust me, Pete knew what was going to happen.

ashley
10/6/2010, 07:28 PM

I for one am looking forward to trolling UNM message boards to rip his latest performance as a coach. :D

This is a great one. Bill is a B-ball coach and could do a good. Wait a minute. After thinking about it he wouldn't come close. He has heard too many bounces in the guy.

Leroy Lizard
10/6/2010, 08:03 PM

As head coach, offensive coordinator, and defensive coordinator.

TXBOOMER
10/6/2010, 08:34 PM
whats funny to me, as much as I cant stand lester is that he has a nearly 80% winning % at LSU, and a National title. I realize last year sucked for them but if he goes 10-2 or 9-3 this year they probably need to lay off

But he is such a doosheeee!

bluedogok
10/6/2010, 08:34 PM
UNT could actually make a move to become a better program soon. Todd Dodge could be replaced, and they are constructing a much bigger stadium across I-35 from their current one as we speak. A big new stadium and new coach could spark recruiting down in Denton. The problem is, they need to go after a June Jones-type coach that can get things done and turn a program around.
Todd Dodge seriously underestimated the ill will towards him by the other high school coaches in the state as a result of reign of terror at Southlake Carroll. To recruit players down here to anything other than a top tier program you have to really work well with the high school coaches. Art Briles was successful in high school and managed to retain the respect of most of his peers, Dodge was successful but was more successful in pissing off most of his peers with his arrogant attitude and typical Whorn thinking that their crap don't stink. A couple of coaches that I know would direct a kid to offers from one of the other directional schools in-state rather than one from Dodge.

Husker In Oklahoma
10/6/2010, 08:50 PM
Georgia alone doesn't have enough players to support an annual top 25 program.

The state of Georgia has damn near 10 million people in it. It is in the south, that state produces quite a bit of talent. It also gets many of its players from North Carolina and some in Alabama and Mississippi. Georgia is a solid state to recruit. Lots of talent close by. There 12th all time in wins. Not quite the no win situation one might think.

Husker In Oklahoma
10/6/2010, 08:52 PM

They still dont have an indoor practice facility. Still irks Richt from what I have read.

prrriiide
10/6/2010, 08:53 PM

Lesster won in 2007 with St. Nick's players and 2 losses in one of the flukiest years in CFB history. He got LUCKY. He got ridiculously lucky in games all season long that year, and he got lucky that a half dozen or more teams lost in the last couple of weeks of the season, mostly due to key injuries. LSU didn't earn a berth in that game, it fell into their lap. Literally: it was another home game BCS CG for them in the Sugar Bowl. He is the worst coach to ever win a MNC, IMO.

He is a joke. He is a puchline with one hell of an effective rabbit's foot in his pocket. I don't know if it's right livin' or dealin' with Old Scratch down at the crossroads, but the fact is I have never seen anyone get so many incredible breaks to go his way. But as a coach, he's an imbecile. While I think that he and the coonasses are made for each other, I'll be shocked if he still has a job in two years.

tulsaoilerfan
10/6/2010, 08:55 PM

And very hot coeds; how can any football stud not want to go there? :D

fadada1
10/6/2010, 09:10 PM

Al Golden of Temple - already in the bank, imo.

played for joepa back when paterno was only in his 60s. almost beat psu this year, and might be ranked before the end of the year. nearly impossible to recruit to temple. if you've ever been to their "campus", you'd understand why. rich recruiting here in the philly/south jersey area, just too many kids going to rutgers/psu/maryland. goes to show you what good coaching can do.

agoo758
10/6/2010, 10:34 PM
3- A&M's Mike Sherman: Why do people keep saying this guy's getting fired? Yes, he's not beating Texas or OU, but neither is Mike Gundy and you don't see him up here on the Hot Seat board! A&M can't just keep dumping coaches and they've dumped too many lately to let another go so quickly.

After three seasons?? After significant improvement?:confused: