PDA

View Full Version : 1:39 left to play...

The Ghost of Mex
10/4/2010, 10:54 PM
...DM7 watches the kick off roll into the end zone. He picks up the ball, but does not down the ball in the end zone. The play just ends because he picks up the ball in the end zone? Help me out here?
:gary:

hotshot13422
10/4/2010, 11:08 PM
Technically in college if the ball hits the endzone on a kickoff it is immediately blown dead and the receiving team gets the ball at the 20.

The Ghost of Mex
10/4/2010, 11:12 PM
Technically in college if the ball hits the endzone on a kickoff it is immediately blown dead and the receiving team gets the ball at the 20.

Ahhhh...thank you.

DarrellZero
10/4/2010, 11:24 PM
and Demarco knows this because he's a smart, mature player.

No substitute for experience in the RRS.

1890MilesToNorman
10/4/2010, 11:30 PM
If a Natty rolls into the end zone, and Vet picks it up, it's a live ball situation. I'm gonna kick his *** and take the thing away from him.

GKeeper316
10/4/2010, 11:32 PM
vasher on the goal line in 01

lulz!

hgarmorer
10/5/2010, 06:16 AM
If a Natty rolls into the end zone, and Vet picks it up, it's a live ball situation. I'm gonna kick his *** and take the thing away from him.

I call BS!!! Like he'd let it roll into the end zone:D

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
10/5/2010, 06:42 AM
The clock starts when the offensive ballcarrier crosses the goal line.

Crucifax Autumn
10/5/2010, 06:50 AM
It woulda been hilarious if Demarco had scooped it up for a 100 yard TD return.

From now until the end of time clappy woulda kicked the onside every single time.

ddub0224
10/5/2010, 09:41 AM
Can someone explain to me though, why we didn't leave someone back there isntead of putting EVERYONE up!?!?! If they had pooched it 50 yards instead of all the way to the endzoneand it takes some squirly bounces along the way, the horns could have had a very legit shot at recovering it.

humblesooner
10/5/2010, 10:11 AM
Can someone explain to me though, why we didn't leave someone back there isntead of putting EVERYONE up!?!?! If they had pooched it 50 yards instead of all the way to the endzoneand it takes some squirly bounces along the way, the horns could have had a very legit shot at recovering it.

I don't remember where, but i saw where Bob addressed that question. He said that it was Demarco's responsibility to run at full speed back to the ball and cover if they decided to kick deep - just like what we saw. I still think it was awfully dangerous not to at least have someone at about the OU 35, just in case. But it worked out.

boomermagic
10/5/2010, 10:14 AM

I will explain it like this.. Bob trusts Murray and Broyles to make sure that doesn't happen.. If the kick had went 50 yds. Murry and Broyles would have been the closest guys to the ball.. Yes, It's alway's possible a football can take a weird bounce and land in anyone's hands but those two along with a few more Sooner players were closest to the ball and would have had the best chance to get the ball.. I think Bob felt it was worth the slight risk to have all his good hands players up closer to the antisipated onside kick..

TUSooner
10/5/2010, 12:01 PM

I did not know that. I thought it was like the pros, where the kicking team you could conceivably recover its own kick-off in the end zone and get a TD... as happend vs the Cincy Bungles a few years back, I think. (I'm gonna look that play up.)

PalmBeachSooner
10/5/2010, 12:34 PM

That's not true. That rule only applies to HS. Otherwise college players would not be able to run the ball out of the end zone and they do. DM7 made no effort to return the ball so the official blew it dead. This can only happen in the end zone. In the NFL I am 99% sure you HAVE to take a knee in order for the play to be blown dead. Otherwise, what you have is a VERY long onside kick.

kbsooner21
10/5/2010, 12:40 PM
That's not true. That rule only applies to HS.

Sure looked like it happened on Saturday to me :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/5/2010, 12:45 PM
they changed the rule a while back so that if you don't make an immediate attempt to leave the end zone the ball is blown dead.

Landthief 1972
10/5/2010, 12:57 PM
Considering what happened in Oregoon a few years back on the onside kick, can you blame him for stacking everybody up front? :D

badger
10/5/2010, 01:03 PM
I loved watching Mack whisper to his kicker beforehand... we all knew what was about to go down when it happened, so if we knew, than our team knew. We set it up to look like we weren't prepared to run all the way back for a full kick, but with :mack: there ALL SECRETIVELY AND STUFF whispering to his kicker, you know d@mn well that they aren't on-siding it anymore.

:D So anyway, that's why we did what we did - to outcoach :mack: once again. Hook 'em

Leroy Lizard
10/5/2010, 04:06 PM
they changed the rule a while back so that if you don't make an immediate attempt to leave the end zone the ball is blown dead.

Another question: Why would they change the rule? Any thoughts?

stoopified
10/5/2010, 04:12 PM
Can someone explain to me though, why we didn't leave someone back there isntead of putting EVERYONE up!?!?! If they had pooched it 50 yards instead of all the way to the endzoneand it takes some squirly bounces along the way, the horns could have had a very legit shot at recovering it.Bob said in his presser that they were 100% geared to getting the onside kick. Bob said he had confidence that Demarco could beat Texas to the ball if they kicked deep.Bob went on to say he would proably never do that again.

ddub0224
10/5/2010, 04:17 PM
Bob said in his presser that they were 100% geared to getting the onside kick. Bob said he had confidence that Demarco could beat Texas to the ball if they kicked deep.Bob went on to say he would proably never do that again.

thanks

cccasooner2
10/5/2010, 04:43 PM
Bob said in his presser that they were 100% geared to getting the onside kick. Bob said he had confidence that Demarco could beat Texas to the ball if they kicked deep.Bob went on to say he would proably never do that again.

In other words: "Demarco executed in a great way, but whew that was close".

soonerborn30
10/5/2010, 09:04 PM
Another question: Why would they change the rule? Any thoughts?

Maybe to keep people from faking a knee and taking off, or some other such trickeration in the EZ. Why you'd run a trick play in your own end zone is beyond me, but maybe Christ Peterson knows the answer. :D