PDA

View Full Version : if stoops was to retire. . .

getrdone
10/4/2010, 08:19 PM
Bob has said he will not be coaching forever---that said, if he decided to hang it up--I for one would love to see Harbaugh from Standford on our sidelines if they decided not to promote.

85sooners
10/4/2010, 08:20 PM
:gary:

aero
10/4/2010, 08:22 PM
HERESY!!!!!

TXBOOMER
10/4/2010, 08:23 PM
F Jim Harbaugh! Let not think of such things.

getrdone
10/4/2010, 08:24 PM
he's got standford relevant again, and I would love to see a true-pro I offense. smashmouth football

TXBOOMER
10/4/2010, 08:26 PM
I didn't say he wasn't a good coach. I just don't like to think about Bob not being our coach.

stoopified
10/4/2010, 08:28 PM
Bob will coach at OU forever-YES,I am in denial.

getrdone
10/4/2010, 08:29 PM
me either, but I can't see him going past another 3-4 years. . . of course by that time Harbaugh may have moved on....just loved watching that type of football again. . .as for bob not being our coach. . . hard to believe it's been a decade

stoopified
10/4/2010, 08:33 PM
In any case Bob will be here another eight years and harbaugh will either have Stanford in high gear or be at a high profile job and be unavailible to OU.Heupel will be the man.

JLEW1818
10/4/2010, 08:36 PM
Heupel needs to be an offensive coordinator first.

TXBOOMER
10/4/2010, 08:37 PM
Heupel will have to prove himself as a Coordinator before he gets a head job at OU. I think we will take a National Championship Coordinator type when that dreaded day comes. I think Stoops will retire at 60 myself.

TahoeSOONER
10/4/2010, 08:38 PM
This^

JLEW1818
10/4/2010, 08:38 PM
If Stoops is to coach anywhere down the road, it's Iowa. Only place.

oumartin
10/4/2010, 08:45 PM
Christ Peterson will be unstoppable if he was able to recruit the players OU gets. That is the man

OK2U
10/4/2010, 08:48 PM
^I kind of agree.
He's one hell of a coach who recruits great players and even greater suport staff.
(he already is unstoppable.)

agoo758
10/4/2010, 08:53 PM
Christ Peterson will be unstoppable if he was able to recruit the players OU gets. That is the man

I'd like to believe that, but the former Boise Staters who have underachieved at higher level jobs keeps me skeptical.

SoonerObsession
10/4/2010, 09:15 PM
As much as I love Heupel, I don't think he has enough fire in his britches to be a head coach. Every great coach I can think of is not afraid to light someone up on the sidelines when they do something stupid. That's not Josh's style.

Breadburner
10/4/2010, 09:24 PM
I want another former DC as coach......

85Sooner
10/4/2010, 09:29 PM
I will take anyone from Boise State.

soonerinkaty
10/4/2010, 09:31 PM
Gary Patterson. Already knows texas and kicks *** with less talent. I'm all for it, specially if Heuple is the o-cord.

DarrellZero
10/4/2010, 09:37 PM
I will take anyone from Boise State.

http://www.toomanymornings.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/dan_hawkins.jpg

You wanna rephrase that, brother?

En_Fuego
10/4/2010, 09:38 PM
As much as I love Heupel, I don't think he has enough fire in his britches to be a head coach. Every great coach I can think of is not afraid to light someone up on the sidelines when they do something stupid. That's not Josh's style.

Josh Heupel was a coach in 2000.......On the field.......really !!!

Tigeman
10/4/2010, 09:41 PM
Every great coach I can think of is not afraid to light someone up on the sidelines when they do something stupid. That's not Josh's style.

I did watch him throw gatorade in the face of a whorn who was riding his a$$ this weekend! Was kind of shocked and happy at the same time! :D

landrun
10/4/2010, 09:50 PM

THIS IS BIG TWEL.... no wait ... PAC 10 FOOTBALL!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

webfoot
10/4/2010, 10:05 PM
THIS IS BIG TWEL.... no wait ... PAC 10 FOOTBALL!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Leach takes that team to the Pac 11ish.

yukonmiller
10/4/2010, 10:34 PM
Little bro Mike would have to be a candidate.

olevetonahill
10/4/2010, 11:08 PM
Dumbest Thread of the year :rolleyes:

ouwasp
10/5/2010, 12:54 AM

Amen. Lock this bull****

oudavid1
10/5/2010, 02:09 AM
Mike Leach. Done.

Crucifax Autumn
10/5/2010, 03:49 AM
Much like Breadburner said, I'd want another aggressive defensive guy with bright offensive minds on the staff. We need a "tough" guy.

MrJimBeam
10/5/2010, 05:10 AM
I would hope the next coach would be an established coordinator from outside the program. But he won't be, and we'll be doomed to a decade of mediocrity. That's why Coach Stoops must stay FOUREVAR!!

AlbqSooner
10/5/2010, 06:11 AM

I had to check your profile.
Yep, you are too young to remember Bud Wilkinson.

sendbaht
10/5/2010, 07:42 AM
Little bro Mike would have to be a candidate.

Yes Mike....But Bob retires on his 65 birthday,

OU_Sooners75
10/5/2010, 07:52 AM

I dont know about this. They said the same thing about Dan Hawkins when he came out of Boise State.

BigTime1
10/5/2010, 08:08 AM
Heupel- I think he would have plenty of fire if he were to be in that position, and do a heck of a job
Venables-I promise you he d stay on everybodys #$*, and he puts together a dang good defense so maybe him for HC and Heup for OC
Leach-I just like ML

Socrefbek
10/5/2010, 08:15 AM

Thats the 4th time in the past two months you have branded a thread dumbest of the year. :D

soonerborn30
10/5/2010, 08:15 AM
Wait. You mean we don't go after Nick Saban?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2010, 08:16 AM
Ed Gennero

CrimsonRez
10/5/2010, 08:47 AM
We should get Florida's DC...worked last time just saying :pop:

Tulsa_Fireman
10/5/2010, 08:49 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/111/368365670_6cd2abf855_m.jpg

Hayden Fox.

BOOK IT

soonerborn30
10/5/2010, 08:51 AM
Ed Gennero

He was a 140-pound halfback, and HE PLAYED LIKE A GODDAMN WILDMAN! NO! LIKE A GODDAMN RAMPAGING BEAST!

olevetonahill
10/5/2010, 10:23 AM
Thats the 4th time in the past two months you have branded a thread dumbest of the year. :D

Show me the other 3? :rolleyes:

boomermagic
10/5/2010, 10:24 AM

Mike Stoops or Peterson..

soonerborn30
10/5/2010, 10:48 AM
I mean, Peterson is good, but CHRIST? I don't know, man.

:D

stoopified
10/5/2010, 10:59 AM
As much as I love Heupel, I don't think he has enough fire in his britches to be a head coach. Every great coach I can think of is not afraid to light someone up on the sidelines when they do something stupid. That's not Josh's style.Bud Wilkinson,Tom Landry? Neither were fiery types.Heupel has around 8 years to gain experience and is the most likely person to move to OC after KW departs for his HC shot.

oumartin
10/5/2010, 11:00 AM
I mean, Peterson is good, but CHRIST? I don't know, man.

:D

I just now noticed that typo.. oops. :D

Comparing Chris Peterson to Dan Hawkins is simply retarded.

stoopified
10/5/2010, 11:04 AM
zI think Petersen is overrated.If he IS all that,why didn't ND,Cincy,USC,Tennessee,Texas Tech,(all of which are much better jobs) not go after him? Answer: he is a nice coach who runs a nice program,he ain't big time.If CP ever leaves BSU he will crash and burn.

oudavid1
10/5/2010, 01:02 PM
Mike Leach.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2010, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't want leach or Mike Stoops as head coach

oudavid1
10/5/2010, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't want leach or Mike Stoops as head coach

Wrong. Mike Leach.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2010, 01:19 PM
Wouldn't want him

oumartin
10/5/2010, 01:45 PM
Definately not Mike leach and correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Peterson turned down some big jobs?

If you think he isn't at the top of the game you are mentally retarded. Dude can coach and knows how to put together one heck of a staff.

Mike Stoops, well maybe. course my opinion has always been we got the wrong Stoops running this program.

You may be right, I may be crazy.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2010, 01:47 PM
you are crazy..in a hawt kinda way

mhackl
10/5/2010, 01:53 PM

LMAO... I was thinking the same thing

Sooner-N-KS
10/5/2010, 03:25 PM
Why wouldn't some of you want Mike Stoops?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2010, 03:30 PM
While I think Mike Stoops is a good HC, he fits about what Arizona expects..

OU is an elite program...Elite..OU can pull from the greatest coaches/assistants out there..Mike Stoops is not elite HC material IMO

oumartin
10/5/2010, 03:32 PM

OU is an elite program...Elite..OU can pull from the greatest coaches/assistants out there..Mike Stoops is not elite HC material IMO

yes, we proved this with the hiring of Howard and one John Blake. :D

boomermagic
10/5/2010, 03:33 PM
Much like Breadburner said, I'd want another aggressive defensive guy with bright offensive minds on the staff. We need a "tough" guy.

Switzer was an OFFENSIVE coach and he did pretty well..:D

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2010, 03:35 PM
yes, we proved this with the hiring of Howard and one John Blake. :D

Well this program is in a different place than when either of those losers were hired...

and thanks for bringing that up whore

Sooner-N-KS
10/5/2010, 03:36 PM

Bob wasn't an elite coach before coming to OU. He was a good DC at Florida, but not elite yet.

I consider Mike high on the list simply because of what he did with a non-elite school. Add to that what he did with OUr defense and what happened to it when he left.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2010, 03:38 PM
once again, what kind of position was OU in when they hired Stoops? Obviously he was a good hire, but the program is in a lot better shape now than it was then..

And Mike Stoops is another guy who gets better every year that he is gone..that defense had issues as well when he was here...

Name the big wins of the arizona program..he has done a good job there, but lets not blow it out of proportion

Sooner-N-KS
10/5/2010, 03:42 PM
Beat Iowa already this year. Had a good PAC 10 year last year and beat USC in the process. But again, Arizona is a non-elite school.

oumartin
Hey, I made the same argument on another board. Lots better shape now as a program and big time coaches would get in line to coach here.

I was called a fool if I recall. :)

stoops the eternal pimp
how many years has he been there? he's lost quite a few he should have won also

Im just saying he's been given an opportunity at Arizona that he fits into...I don't think he will develop into a next level coach..Not dogging the guy...

But I guarantee he would not be on Florida, Ohio State, or the other big boys radar and I sure wouldnt want to hire him because he is bob's brother or coached defense well here

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2010, 03:43 PM
Hey, I made the same argument on another board. Lots better shape now as a program and big time coaches would get in line to coach here.

I was called a fool if I recall. :)

Exactly...you think they were lining up in the mid 90's? Heck even Bob told one of his buddies he had made the biggest mistake of his life coming here after taking the job

StoopTroup
10/5/2010, 03:44 PM
how many years has he been there?

Who Martin? :D

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2010, 03:49 PM
I know how long he has been around...I rove him rong time

oumartin
10/5/2010, 03:50 PM
Who Martin? :D

you're just itchin' for a beatdown aren't ya. :)

yeah, I heard that story but wasnt' it due to him losing all his free time. Not necessarily the job he took.

I laughed at OU hiring those two clowns because I know it's one of the few top jobs out there and a coach would be a fool to turn it down. I still remember wanting Jim Donnan.(sp)

EstablishedSooner1967
10/5/2010, 03:50 PM
Well you could not get him but... Nick Saban
So gettable
Brent Venables
Josh Heupel
Chris Peterson
Gary Patterson
if they all pass..... who ever will take it.

StoopTroup
10/5/2010, 03:51 PM
I know how long he has been around...I rove him rong time

You shouldn't be so hard around the shaft....I mean the neck.

http://www.customguitars.com/images/neckbreakbefore.jpg

oumartin
10/5/2010, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't want Saban. Is he a great coach yes, but he is the devil.

Josh hasn't proven anything yet. Not to say he wouldn't be great but that would be a unproven hire.

Venables, no thanks

Chris Peterson.. you betcha

Gary Paterson=saban jr.

How about lane kiffin? ;)

cyclonesooner
10/5/2010, 03:54 PM
Harbaugh and Petersen would both be great choices if that opportunity ever presents itself. Leach will never get the opportunity. Personality, arrogance, rub too many people the wrong way. Too much french-pastry offensive philosophy and lack of defensive emphasis for me.

StoopTroup
10/5/2010, 03:55 PM
Josh

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2010, 03:57 PM
Wouldnt want Heupel and Venables at HC...Heupel eventually but at least let him be an OC first for a while.

Peterson
Patterson
Sarkisian maybe

How about Malzahn?

I dunno...

Mad Dog Madsen
10/5/2010, 03:57 PM
How bout Switzer? Hell, how bout Bear Bryant?!? :rolleyes:

soonerborn30
10/5/2010, 08:57 PM
Does anybody think that maybe there's something wrong with Gary Patterson? I mean, TCU's been good for a while now, and yet there he stays in Fort Worth. I tend to think there's a reason he's still there.

With that being said, I'd want someone young, hungry, and someone that appreciated who we were and where we've come from. Someone clean (obviously) and someone that coached or could find someone to coach punishing defense. This person would need to be able to recruit their *** off to be able to keep up with ole butterteef and the rest of the cartel south of the Red. After all those requirements, I find myself with zero names. Anybody?

OUthunder
10/5/2010, 09:25 PM
Chuck Norris, he knows how to recruit Texas and kick *** and take names.

oumartin
10/5/2010, 09:26 PM
Gary Patterson is a huge a-hole from what I hear. probably doesn't interview well.

Mississippi Sooner
10/5/2010, 09:32 PM
Exactly...you think they were lining up in the mid 90's? Heck even Bob told one of his buddies he had made the biggest mistake of his life coming here after taking the job

Yep. I remember after Gibbs got the boot, and then even more so after the Reign of Terror, there was no realist talk of being able to bring in an elite coach. I remember there was talk of trying to bring in John Madden at one point. It was that ridiculous. A lot of people thought we got a steal with Howard, but few could fathom how fast his ego would torpedo him.

It's 180 degrees different now. That's why I think Stoops is here for the duration (of how long he wants to keep coaching). Hard to get more prestigious than Oklahoma now, and he's already rooted in the community as well as the school.

Sooner-N-KS
10/6/2010, 07:33 AM
Does anybody think that maybe there's something wrong with Gary Patterson? I mean, TCU's been good for a while now, and yet there he stays in Fort Worth. I tend to think there's a reason he's still there.

With that being said, I'd want someone young, hungry, and someone that appreciated who we were and where we've come from. Someone clean (obviously) and someone that coached or could find someone to coach punishing defense. This person would need to be able to recruit their *** off to be able to keep up with ole butterteef and the rest of the cartel south of the Red. After all those requirements, I find myself with zero names. Anybody?

I believe the issue is Patterson turned down offers. If I remember right he was offered the KSU spot. Maybe he just likes where he is until he gets an elite offer.

StoopTroup
10/6/2010, 07:47 AM
Wouldnt want Heupel and Venables at HC...Heupel eventually but at least let him be an OC first for a while.

Peterson
Patterson
Sarkisian maybe

How about Malzahn?

I dunno...

Don't be dooshing on my HC. He's ready right freaking now Baby! :D :P :pop: