PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Mack Brown

fwsooner22
10/4/2010, 12:07 PM
Clearly, Texas penalties, particularly by the defense on third downs, were costly in the Longhorns' loss Saturday to Oklahoma. After the game, coach Mack Brown said he'd have to go back and look at the game tape before he evaluated the penalty problem. On today's Big 12 conference call, one could surmise that he was sharing his feelings about the validity of some of the calls without violating Big 12 rules that muzzle coaches' comments on officiating.

"The way I understand the rules I can't say anything," Brown said. "They won't let me address it good or bad... One of the tough things for coaches, when we do see something and a kid is accused of something and we think it's unfair, we can't comment. I can't comment on that game."

On if he's ever seen so many penalties in key situations:

"It's a very emotional game," he said. "There's a lot of talking in that game, pushing and shoving in that game. And we ended up on the worse end of that."

May the Whining begin.

OUthunder
10/4/2010, 12:09 PM
He seems to forget the phantom late hits that OU players got called for putting on McCoy the last couple of years.

How soon they forget.

And...at least the calls on Saturday at least had some sort of merit.

Mississippi Sooner
10/4/2010, 12:09 PM
He's stepping awfully close to the line, even with those comments.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/4/2010, 12:12 PM
So when do the Texcuses shirts go on sale?

BoulderSooner79
10/4/2010, 12:12 PM
I don't care what Mack thinks, but his words are music to my ears just knowing this will add to the "orange meltdown" thread. Why do I enjoy the sorrow of the horn faithful? What is wrong with me?
:D :D :D:P

Lott's Bandana
10/4/2010, 12:15 PM
It all comes down to coaching and the whorn fanbase is beginning to wonder about their return on their yearly recruiting investment.

On the other side of the coin, Bob Stoops blamed himself for Landry's fumble!

OU Engineer
10/4/2010, 12:24 PM
Yea on the sooner football highlight show stoops took responsibility for the LJ fumble as well as the failed fake FG.

Stoops is just flat out a man of character.

Rocko
10/4/2010, 12:29 PM
I suppose the Pac-10 doesn't have the same muzzle rule, did anyone hear Chip Kelly at the half of the Stanford-Oregon game? He insinuated that the Standford HC and the refs must be friends because of a few "poor" calls. I thought this was highly unprofessional and only further explains why that program has so many discipline problems on and off the field.

oumartin
10/4/2010, 12:30 PM
Yea on the sooner football highlight show stoops took responsibility for the LJ fumble as well as the failed fake FG.

Stoops is just flat out a man of character.

I'm starting to Think Bob is a an evil genius who instead of running teams outta the stadium this year is toying with them. Letting them hang around and even giving the other team a false sense of hope. He is a mental ninja I tell ya.

Obviously it worked on Mack! Dude has gone whack

KantoSooner
10/4/2010, 12:59 PM
I suppose the Pac-10 doesn't have the same muzzle rule, did anyone hear Chip Kelly at the half of the Stanford-Oregon game? He insinuated that the Standford HC and the refs must be friends because of a few "poor" calls. I thought this was highly unprofessional and only further explains why that program has so many discipline problems on and off the field.

I realize that this might seem a tad over the top, but the situation with Oregon has become clear. Each and every person associated with their program is a scumbag.

Once you reach that seemingly unlikely conclusion (it's just too complete to be statistically compelling on it face), so much becomes clear.

TexasLidig8r
10/4/2010, 01:18 PM
Clearly, Texas penalties, particularly by the defense on third downs, were costly in the Longhorns' loss Saturday to Oklahoma. After the game, coach Mack Brown said he'd have to go back and look at the game tape before he evaluated the penalty problem. On today's Big 12 conference call, one could surmise that he was sharing his feelings about the validity of some of the calls without violating Big 12 rules that muzzle coaches' comments on officiating.

"The way I understand the rules I can't say anything," Brown said. "They won't let me address it good or bad... One of the tough things for coaches, when we do see something and a kid is accused of something and we think it's unfair, we can't comment. I can't comment on that game."

On if he's ever seen so many penalties in key situations:

"It's a very emotional game," he said. "There's a lot of talking in that game, pushing and shoving in that game. And we ended up on the worse end of that."

May the Whining begin.

Where in the hell is there whining in that statement? He was asked a question and responded to it while complying with Big XII rules regarding remarking on officials.

Amazing that a fan base that still whines about a call made over a quarter century ago and whose whining on the zebras on here is legend would go here.

oumartin
10/4/2010, 01:20 PM
Where in the hell is there whining in that statement? He was asked a question and responded to it while complying with Big XII rules regarding remarking on officials.

Amazing that a fan base that still whines about a call made over a quarter century ago and whose whining on the zebras on here is legend would go here.

u gotta admit that was one of the worst calls in the history of sports.

fwsooner22
10/4/2010, 01:44 PM

Maybe I'm hearing what I want to but there are coaches who would just say we can't have those penalties and let it go at that. It sounds to me like "he didn't like the calls". Who does when you lose ? Just take your medicine and move on. If not have the balls to say what you mean and pay the fine. It's whining to me when you beat around the bush and don't really say what you mean.

Widescreen
10/4/2010, 01:46 PM
I think it's funny that he feels they got the raw end of the officiating deal. His team played like morons and he wants to blame the officials for the loss. I guess when you're used to getting the vast majority of questionable calls going your way, if the officiating is evenhanded, it feels like they're against you.

DenverSooner751
10/4/2010, 02:33 PM
I'm starting to Think Bob is a an evil genius who instead of running teams outta the stadium this year is toying with them. Letting them hang around and even giving the other team a false sense of hope. He is a mental ninja I tell ya.

Obviously it worked on Mack! Dude has gone whack

There is some good sig material in that quote. oumartin, do you mind if take? I promise to give you credit!!! LOL.

I've really enjoyed this season so far, even with the heart attack endings.....The impression I get is that Bob is comfortable with it and probably enjoying SOME of it.

As far as Mack is concerned, while I wouldn't perceive THESE statements as whining, I think it is being received that way, especially around here due to the statements he has made in the past.....especially in close games.

As much as it pains me to do though.......you do have to recognize that at his UCLA post game presser, he was very much so accepting the responsibility and not placing blame anywhere.............at least none that I can recall.

That being said, he can disagree with the calls all he wants.........we got scoreboard.

yukonsooner
10/4/2010, 02:56 PM
What about the pass interference we got in the 3rd that was 20 feet over the receivers head, I can't remember, but I think that helped them move down the field to score. I'm sure he thinks that was a good call

Jacie
10/4/2010, 03:50 PM
Mr. Lidgators, the point of this thread is your team's coach is on the verge of saying they lost not because they got outplayed or outcoached but because the refs seemingly conspired against one team over another.

As Sooners, we have come to expect that from coach Mack Brown following losses to Oklahoma, as I am sure you are aware of the quotes that appear on this forum from time to time, and no one here made that stuff up. They are things he said during postgame press conferences and they are as ridiculous now as they were then.

We will add this year's insinuation of bad officiating to the ever-growing list of excuses coach Mack Brown has used following a loss to Oklahoma.

TXBOOMER
10/4/2010, 07:54 PM
Mack works the officials like no other. He will get the benefit of the doubt the vast majority of the time. He looks like a foolish bass turd bent over with hemorrhoids while doing it. F texass! Your QB is a Chris Simms starter kit. texass can have anyone they want. Why don't they have a VY starter kit? Freaking stupid as hell!

85sooners
10/4/2010, 08:19 PM

Amazing that a fan base that still whines about a call made over a quarter century ago and whose whining on the zebras on here is legend would go here.phuck u

SCSooner71
10/4/2010, 08:20 PM
Texass....you got beat...deal with it...get used to to it more are on the way!!

XingTheRubicon
10/4/2010, 09:00 PM
When you give up 11 first downs in the first 10 minutes of the 1st quarter, you should probably go ahead and quit worrying about the refs. OU played sloppy during mop-up Mack got his 7th loss to OU in the last 11 years.

DenverSooner751
10/4/2010, 09:01 PM
phuck u

LOL.

I don't share the same reaction but that made me chuckle a bit.

landrun
10/4/2010, 10:13 PM
Where in the hell is there whining in that statement?

Mack... "The way I understand the rules I can't say anything," Brown said. "They won't let me address it good or bad... One of the tough things for coaches, when we do see something and there just so happens to be a kid named jeffcoat who is a defensive end playing for Texas and he is accused of something like a personal foul which he clearly didn't commit but was flagged for anyway by an official making a bad call against the mighty horns and we think it's unfair because it most certainly was because Texas doesn't commit personal fouls or any penalties for that matter, then we can't comment on bad calls against Texas. I can't comment on that game where OU played three quarters then quit and still won by over a touchdown." :D

I've interpreted it for all Texas fans who don't get it. :)

stoopified
10/4/2010, 10:26 PM
Maybe I'm hearing what I want to but there are coaches who would just say we can't have those penalties and let it go at that. It sounds to me like "he didn't like the calls". Who does when you lose ? Just take your medicine and move on. If not have the balls to say what you mean and pay the fine. It's whining to me when you beat around the bush and don't really say what you mean.Mack is just a whiner.He whined that no one gave UT respect when Bob beat him FIVE years in a row.He whined and begged for Texas' first BCS bowl.He whined when OU rightfully was awarded the Big 12 South title.His reasoning ; head to head ,ignoring that TT beat UT.His own rationale would have put TT in over UT.At least Leach had enough class not to whine about being left out.

DenverSooner751
10/4/2010, 10:30 PM
Mack is just a whiner.He whined that no one gave UT respect when Bob beat him FIVE years in a row.He whined and begged for Texas' first BCS bowl.He whined when OU rightfully was awarded the Big 12 South title.His reasoning ; head to head ,ignoring that TT beat UT.His own rationale would have put TT in over UT.At least Leach had enough class not to whine about being left out.

Indeed.

btb916
10/5/2010, 12:29 AM
Mack is just a whiner.He whined that no one gave UT respect when Bob beat him FIVE years in a row.He whined and begged for Texas' first BCS bowl.He whined when OU rightfully was awarded the Big 12 South title.His reasoning ; head to head ,ignoring that TT beat UT.His own rationale would have put TT in over UT.At least Leach had enough class not to whine about being left out.

After that beat down we gave them, what's the point of campaigning? I doubt Leach would have been above it otherwise.

soonerbub
10/5/2010, 06:37 AM
Greatest Stoops quote ever (and there have been a lot) was after asterisk-gate: "I know where the trophy is"

Sooner70
10/5/2010, 06:42 AM
The only reason Texas was back in this game at the end was OU let them back in. Texas coulda never got there on their own merit. I think Texas may have big time problems this year, and finding a credible offense is one of them. They miss McCoy's feet and Shipley's shiftiness & smartness a bunch. Also, the shine is kinda coming off Muschump as his alleged formidable defense is showing cracks. Things aren't good in Longhorn Land these days. Believe me, I live near Houston & have an office full of those folks to deal with (It sure was a pleasure coming to work Monday), and they ain't happy one bit with Mack & Co.

Crucifax Autumn
10/5/2010, 06:43 AM
And now we know where the Golden Hat and Governor's Cup are!!!!!!

F you Clappy!

DenverSooner751
10/5/2010, 07:44 AM
Earlier in the season, I remember hearing Mack say (in reference to the low low low offensive production in the first half against far "inferior" opponents) "we've built this offense to be methodical and to wear teams down and win games in the 4th quarter." Which is a real politically correct way of saying, we have no play makers that consistently show up nor do we have the type of staff to plan for those shortcomings so we're counting on our D to keep us in games until the 4th quarter where we can hopefully get some breaks.

That's my read on it.

Jboozer
10/5/2010, 10:31 AM

There isn't whining in that statement, but the comments will surely open the floodgates for all the whorns to make lame excuses and complain about being cheated. Hence, "let the whining begin" not "the whining has started".

BoulderSooner79
10/5/2010, 10:35 AM
There isn't whining in that statement, but the comments will surely open the floodgates for all the whorns to make lame excuses and complain about being cheated. Hence, "let the whining begin" not "the whining has started".

Exactly - Mack gave the okay to blame the refs. I love it! Fans get over getting beat, but they never get over feeling screwed by the refs. :P

fwsooner22
10/5/2010, 12:05 PM

I agree with that but having watched some of the replay...Mack's whining started long before the game was over.

Leroy Lizard
10/5/2010, 04:03 PM

"I can't really talk about it" = "I would love to bitch and moan, but I can't."

After all, if Mack had come out and said, "Refs did a good job" do you really think the Big XII is going to come down on him? No. The only time you pull the "Can't Talk About It" card is when you want to...

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn168/FrenchFryGuy515/crying-baby.jpg