PDA

View Full Version : Blake helping out Bama too

cccasooner2
10/4/2010, 11:30 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AsdWgizz8upUzk.IVqjSrEUcvrYF?slug=ys-dareus100310

Flagstaffsooner
10/4/2010, 11:58 AM
I'd lmao if that idiot ended up in prison.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/4/2010, 12:05 PM
Bob Stoops.. what a great ambassador to the University of Oklahoma

olevetonahill
10/4/2010, 12:22 PM
Not defendin Blake by any means , But what did he do wrong witht he Bammer player?
All the article said was he told him when hes thru he should sign with that agent .:confused:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/4/2010, 12:31 PM
Not defendin Blake by any means , But what did he do wrong witht he Bammer player?
All the article said was he told him when hes thru he should sign with that agent .:confused:

if you take money from an agent as a coach, then you can't recommend that agent at all.

Flagstaffsooner
10/4/2010, 12:31 PM
In most states now it is illegal for agents and coaches to do this type of thing, until now rarely enforced.

olevetonahill
10/4/2010, 12:33 PM
if you take money from an agent as a coach, then you can't recommend that agent at all.

Tanks, I dint know that.
Just goes to show Ya never to old to larn sompun new;)

TheHumanAlphabet
10/4/2010, 12:56 PM
Spurrier doesn't seem to be a Boo fan...

Taxman71
10/4/2010, 12:58 PM
In Blake's defense, it may be a stretch to assume he knew it was illegal given that he used a twister mat for special teams.

oumartin
10/4/2010, 01:13 PM
ignorance is not a defense

Widescreen
10/4/2010, 01:34 PM
Tanks, I dint know that.
Just goes to show Ya never to old to larn sompun new;)

Like spelling?

;)

Leroy Lizard
10/4/2010, 01:39 PM
In most states now it is illegal for agents and coaches to do this type of thing, until now rarely enforced.

It goes beyond that. As a university employee he cannot obtain outside money for anything related to his work at the U unless it is specifically allowed in his contract. For example, if a corporation paid me to send them promising students I could be fired and/or sued.

So Blake faces severe lawsuits from UNC if any of this unfolds. (And it doesn't matter if the player played for Alabama.)

Is Blake criminal or just ignorant?

olevetonahill
10/4/2010, 01:44 PM
Like spelling?

;)

Naw , Hell I even gots that spelcheckered thingie and cant figure it out

Frozen Sooner
10/4/2010, 01:55 PM
It goes beyond that. As a university employee he cannot obtain outside money for anything related to his work at the U unless it is specifically allowed in his contract. For example, if a corporation paid me to send them promising students I could be fired and/or sued.

So Blake faces severe lawsuits from UNC if any of this unfolds. (And it doesn't matter if the player played for Alabama.)

Is Blake criminal or just ignorant?

Seriously? Because I get job leads from professors all the time.

SoonerLVZ
10/4/2010, 02:04 PM
ESPN.COM just posted an article that Butch Davis is "Sorry" he ever trusted John Blake..

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5648188

Leroy Lizard
10/4/2010, 02:08 PM
Seriously? Because I get job leads from professors all the time.

And you pay them?

Frozen Sooner
10/4/2010, 02:12 PM
Ah, sorry. Missed that part. I have no idea whether my professors get a headhunting fee from firms. If they do, the firms should probably get a refund.

Leroy Lizard
10/4/2010, 02:22 PM
Ah, sorry. Missed that part. I have no idea whether my professors get a headhunting fee from firms.

Shudder. Ethics violations galore.

cccasooner2
10/4/2010, 03:02 PM
ESPN.COM just posted an article that Butch Davis is "Sorry" he ever trusted John Blake..

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5648188

Strange statement from Butch Davis, usually one would lead in by saying you were competely shocked by the alllegations, etc, etc, la de dah. Any of you lawyer types think it a little strange?

Scott D
10/4/2010, 05:35 PM
This is a bus....that is Butch Davis clearly pushing John Blake out in front of that bus.

Leroy Lizard
10/4/2010, 06:27 PM
This is a bus....that is Butch Davis clearly pushing John Blake out in front of that bus.

I wonder what the U's lawyers think of his announcement.

soonerloyal
10/4/2010, 06:36 PM
Egad. That Blake fellow just spreads sunshine and lollipops where e'er he goes, doesn't he?

Sabanball
10/4/2010, 06:52 PM
Marcel Dareus is the one that threw Blake under the bus, and deservedly so--by cooperating with NCAA investigators. John Blake was nothing but a runner for this agent and I would wager he will end up being subject to NCAA bylaw penalties.

I realize that you guys were coming out of the Schnellie disaster, but still how did you guys ever hire this clown as a HC??

RacerX
10/4/2010, 07:09 PM
Barry Switzer recommended him. Go figure.

AlbqSooner
10/4/2010, 07:55 PM
Blake was one of those guys who was an excellent coordinator but a bust as a head coach. I suspect he mismanaged his money thinking he would continue to be a head coach making the big bucks. When financial straits set in, some people are susceptible to the temptations of filthy lucre.

Leroy Lizard
10/4/2010, 08:22 PM
Marcel Dareus is the one that threw Blake under the bus, and deservedly so--by cooperating with NCAA investigators. John Blake was nothing but a runner for this agent and I would wager he will end up being subject to NCAA bylaw penalties.

I realize that you guys were coming out of the Schnellie disaster, but still how did you guys ever hire this clown as a HC??

White Guilt.

swardboy
10/4/2010, 08:30 PM
Didn't realize that Butch Davis coached Blake in high school in Oklahoma

OUstud
10/4/2010, 08:43 PM
Just checked Blake's Wikipedia page. This was the quote before I did some, uh, editing:

Blake is often given credit for laying the foundation for Oklahoma's resurgence in the 21st century. More than half of the 22 starters on the Sooners' 2000 National Championship team were recruited by Blake. However, many of the players made position changes after Bob Stoops became coach.

After:

Blake is often wrongly given credit for laying the foundation for Oklahoma's resurgence in the 21st century. More than half of the 22 starters on the Sooners' 2000 National Championship team were recruited by Blake, which is really a testament to how dreadful of a coach Blake truly was. This can be seen in the fact that many of the players made position changes after Bob Stoops became coach because Blake did not have a clue how to efficiently run a football team.

:D

Taxman71
10/5/2010, 10:08 AM
Blake was one of those guys who was an excellent coordinator but a bust as a head coach. I suspect he mismanaged his money thinking he would continue to be a head coach making the big bucks. When financial straits set in, some people are susceptible to the temptations of filthy lucre.

I don't think Blake was ever a coordinator, before or after OU. He has always been a position coach (d-line) at Dallas, Nebraska and NC.....which only makes it more strange that we hired him. In hindsight, Berry Tramel took alot of heat, but was right, that Blake wasn't qualified to manage a Taco Bell, but was given the reigns over the top CFB program of the last 60 years.

RacerX
10/5/2010, 11:21 AM
But we can stomp on Blake and someday we'll make fine wine.....

Leroy Lizard
10/5/2010, 03:56 PM
I don't think Blake was ever a coordinator, before or after OU. He has always been a position coach (d-line) at Dallas, Nebraska and NC.....which only makes it more strange that we hired him.

It isn't that hard to figure.

We needed a new coach. Barry Switzer, the King who I admire as the greatest coach since WWII but is terribly afflicted with white guilt, pushed hard for him. The white guilt took hold among the fan base and voila, losing seasons.

Never, ever hire a coach based on skin color, white or black. There is too much at stake. (And no, it doesn't really help that much in recruiting; that's just a bad rationalization.)

Go ahead and get mad (and a lot of you will), but it's the truth.

Scott D
10/5/2010, 05:15 PM
Barry Switzer recommended him. Go figure.

Wasn't that idiot Duncan still the AD then also?

Seamus
10/5/2010, 05:25 PM
Just checked Blake's Wikipedia page. This was the quote before I did some, uh, editing:

After:

:D

I LOL'd.

Seamus
10/5/2010, 05:34 PM

Well, one man's John Blake is another man's Mike Shula. Just sayin' ...

From Wiki:

Mike Shula was hired as head coach at Alabama in May 2003 after the termination of Mike Price.[3][4] At the time of his arrival, the program was in great turmoil despite a 10-3 record the previous year. In that year, the program had been hammered by NCAA sanctions, and lost Dennis Franchione to Texas A&M,[5] and subsequently fired Mike Price due to his off-field actions.[4] At the time, he was the second-youngest coach in all of Division I-A football, at age 38.

He was hired on a six-year, $5.4 million contract.[3]

2003 – With the loss of several players from the 2002 team, and an offense that was not fully installed due to time constraints, Alabama suffered through a 4–9 season in 2003. The season was marked by close losses and fourth quarter collapses. In games decided by one score or less, Alabama was 0–6 on the season. Alabama lost overtime games to Arkansas and Tennessee, and generally seemed to be close but not close enough to breaking through virtually all season.

2004 – The 2004 season got off to a quick start with Alabama quickly moving to 3–0 with blowout wins over Middle Tennessee, Mississippi, and Western Carolina. However, against Western Carolina, star quarterback Brodie Croyle tore his right ACL on a pass attempt, ending his season.[6] The injury effectively marked the beginning of the end for the 2004 season. The offense sputtered the rest of the way while suffering even more injuries to several other key players. Starting tailback Ray Hudson suffered a season ending knee injury three weeks later against Kentucky, and starting fullback Tim Castille also suffered a season ending knee injury the following week in the fourth quarter against Tennessee. Backup quarterback Marc Guillon and backup tailback Kenneth Darby were also sidelined due to injuries. Alabama hobbled down the stretch to finish the year 6–6. By the time of the Iron Bowl, the Crimson Tide had a third-string quarterback, with a fourth-string tailback, two true freshman wide receivers, and a true freshman tight end. The season was, like the year before, marred by close losses. Shula did, however, lead Alabama to its first bowl game since the 2001 season, with a berth in the 2004 Music City Bowl against the Minnesota Golden Gophers. Alabama lost the game after the third-string quarterback Spencer Pennington sailed a pass over the head of Tyrone Prothro, who was open in the back of the endzone, and failed to convert on a 4th-and-5.[7]

2005 – The 2005 season would see fortunes turn around for Shula and his Alabama team. Despite a catastrophic leg injury suffered by star wide receiver Tyrone Prothro, Alabama went 10–2 with a victory in the 2006 Cotton Bowl over the Mike Leach-led Texas Tech Red Raiders. The season included blowout wins over Florida and South Carolina, and also included a 6–3 win in a defensive classic over rival Tennessee. Alabama was ranked third in the nation and in the National Championship chase before losing at home in overtime to LSU and by rival Auburn on the road. The relative success gave Shula his first 10–win season in just his third year as head coach and also extended Alabama's lead in respect to having the most 10–win seasons of any program in the nation. Furthermore, the Cotton Bowl appearance and victory extended Alabama's lead in playing in, and winning, more bowl games than any other major school. The Tide finished the season ranked eighth in the nation.

Following the season, the university gave Shula a contract extension—6 years, $1.8 million.[8]

2006 – Although few expected Alabama to win 10 games again in 2006, expectations generally still called for a solid eight or nine win season. The Tide jumped out of the gate playing well, moving to 3–0 on the heels of clutch kicking and the solid quarterback play of John Parker Wilson. The team suffered two consecutive losses to the Arkansas Razorbacks and, the eventual national champion, Florida Gators. The Tide struggled the rest of the year, as the offense could not consistently move the ball once inside the red zone, and the defense played below previous standards. The Tide lost to rivals Tennessee after leading for over fifty minutes. Alabama ended the season by losing their final three games to Mississippi State at home, LSU, and their fifth consecutive loss to rivals Auburn, ending with a 6–6 record. On November 26, one week after the Iron Bowl loss, Alabama athletic director Mal Moore notified Mike Shula that he would not be retained as the University of Alabama's head football coach for the 2007 season.[9] The University of Alabama had to pay Shula $4 million dollars left on his contract after they fired him.

RacerX
10/5/2010, 06:17 PM
Wasn't that idiot Duncan still the AD then also?

No, I think Owens. I recollect Duncan hiring Smellsofbourbon as his way of shooting us the bird as he left. Seriously an AD from I-State...what the hell do they know?

Owens was sort of the Dennis Quaid (from Everybody's All American) athletic director. He was out of his element and in over his head.

Crucifax Autumn
10/5/2010, 08:58 PM
Ah, sorry. Missed that part. I have no idea whether my professors get a headhunting fee from firms. If they do, the firms should probably get a refund.

Headhunters are bad. Just ask Gilligan.

Leroy Lizard
10/5/2010, 09:06 PM

Drunk again, Crucifax?

Seamus
10/5/2010, 09:16 PM

Yeah, but The Mosquitoes were badass. Long live Bingo, Bango, Bongo and Irving.

The Mosquitoes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK_jq-Obv8s)

Leroy Lizard
10/5/2010, 09:18 PM
Yeah, but The Mosquitoes were badass. Long live Bingo, Bango, Bongo and Irving.

The Mosquitoes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK_jq-Obv8s)

Didn't they once open for The Sacred Cows?

Seamus
10/6/2010, 04:14 AM
Leroy in green. Wow.