PDA

View Full Version : So GHP

Scott D
10/3/2010, 09:49 PM
Looks like as of Monday 10/4 the DSO will be on strike...thoughts?

GottaHavePride
10/3/2010, 10:39 PM
Frankly, I think the musicians' union has outlived its usefulness, and in cases like this, does more harm than good.

I mean, the musicians say taking a pay cut will hurt the artistic integrity of the orchestra, and turn what is historically one of the ten best-paying orchestras in the country into a second-tier orchestra. (According to an article I saw.) They think the current musicians will go elsewhere and they won't be able to replace them with equal-caliber musicians.

Here's why I disagree:

1. Bad news, DSO, you ARE a second-tier orchestra. The DSO isn't on a level with New York, Chicago, San Fran, LA, Atlanta, Boston, Philly, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Seattle... If they're paying more than any of those orchestras, they're overpaying.

2. If your musicians want to try leaving and going somewhere else, **** 'em. There AREN'T jobs anywhere else for them to take. And the way orchestras have been folding left and right since the economy went in the crapper, Detroit could pick up an orchestra NEARLY as good as they have now for half the price they're paying.

3. Also according to the article I read, the DSO is losing an AVERAGE of 7 million a year, and is looking at a $9-million deficit this year. A few more years of this and major donors will back out, and the orchestra will fold entirely. Then they'll all be out of a job entirely, but that seems to be the union's preferred long-range strategy up there.

So in short, in this economy, I think the musicians union is being ****ing idiotic.

EDIT: 3 years. Estimates say they're going to burn through all $23 million of their financial reserves in 3 years at this rate.

proud gonzo
10/4/2010, 12:52 AM
Frankly, I think the musicians' union has outlived its usefulness, and in cases like this, does more harm than good.

I mean, the musicians say taking a pay cut will hurt the artistic integrity of the orchestra, and turn what is historically one of the ten best-paying orchestras in the country into a second-tier orchestra. (According to an article I saw.) They think the current musicians will go elsewhere and they won't be able to replace them with equal-caliber musicians.

Here's why I disagree:

1. Bad news, DSO, you ARE a second-tier orchestra. The DSO isn't on a level with New York, Chicago, San Fran, LA, Atlanta, Boston, Philly, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Seattle... If they're paying more than any of those orchestras, they're overpaying.

2. If your musicians want to try leaving and going somewhere else, **** 'em. There AREN'T jobs anywhere else for them to take. And the way orchestras have been folding left and right since the economy went in the crapper, Detroit could pick up an orchestra NEARLY as good as they have now for half the price they're paying.

3. Also according to the article I read, the DSO is losing an AVERAGE of 7 million a year, and is looking at a $9-million deficit this year. A few more years of this and major donors will back out, and the orchestra will fold entirely. Then they'll all be out of a job entirely, but that seems to be the union's preferred long-range strategy up there.

So in short, in this economy, I think the musicians union is being ****ing idiotic.

EDIT: 3 years. Estimates say they're going to burn through all $23 million of their financial reserves in 3 years at this rate.

your sig makes this post kinda funny.