PDA

View Full Version : Deutschland Wiedervereinigt!

Okla-homey
10/3/2010, 03:31 PM
Germany Re-United!

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/GermanFlag.jpg

‎20 years ago today the DDR (a/k/a East Germany, auf Deutsch: Deutsch Demokratischen Republik) and BRD (a/k/a West Germany) were reunified!! The provisional captial of Bonn was moved to Berlin as the permanent capital of the Federal Republic of Germany (auf Deutsch: Bundesrepublik Deutschland).

And even if you haven't a drop of German blood, you, as an American, can take pride in the fact your people played a critical role in the reunification of this ancient nation that was cruelly divided by the Soviets at the end of WWII.

cAK23saAI1I&feature=related

TUSooner
10/4/2010, 01:44 PM
My little-kid eyes I saw the Berlin Wall go up, and I read countless stories about families crulely divided and daring escapes over or under the Wall. Two Germanies divided by a Wall was a global reality for my generation, and I never expected that the Wall would be brought down.

So it's pretty dang disappointing to me that the subsequent generation(s) never seemed to to consider the fall of the wall and the reunification of Germany to be such a big deal. Well, IT WAS!

C&CDean
10/4/2010, 02:39 PM
I remember reading about people escaping in balloons and crap in the Readers Digest. They used to have (and maybe still do) chunks of the wall up at the Kilpatrick Center in OKC. Ronny Reagan started the jackhammer, and George Sr. finished the job.

royalfan5
10/4/2010, 02:43 PM
My Great Aunt defected from East Germany in the late 1940's. She just walked across one of the border checkpoints, the Guards told her to stop or they would shoot. She just kept walking, and for whatever reason the guards held their fire. She ended up in London as a translator, and met my Great Uncle through an Army Pen-Pal program and ended up moving to Nebraska to marry him when he was done with the Army.

TUSooner
10/4/2010, 03:26 PM
My Great Aunt defected from East Germany in the late 1940's. She just walked across one of the border checkpoints, the Guards told her to stop or they would shoot. She just kept walking, and for whatever reason the guards held their fire. She ended up in London as a translator, and met my Great Uncle through an Army Pen-Pal program and ended up moving to Nebraska to marry him when he was done with the Army.

Cool story!

TUSooner
10/4/2010, 03:29 PM
I remember reading about people escaping in balloons and crap in the Readers Digest. They used to have (and maybe still do) chunks of the wall up at the Kilpatrick Center in OKC. Ronny Reagan started the jackhammer, and George Sr. finished the job.

I loved those stories.
Never saw the stuff at Kilpatrick, but I haven't been there for a long long time.
Ronny wins !!!!