PDA

View Full Version : If we win out, can we get to Arizona?

BigTip
10/3/2010, 12:10 PM
If we run the table, can we play in the title game?
Sure premature talk, but is it possible? Or are there too many, "this needs to happen" things for it come about?

Leroy Lizard
10/3/2010, 12:14 PM
Sure, if all but one team ranked above us lose. There really isn't much more to say.

fadada1
10/3/2010, 12:17 PM
tOSU shouldn't lose, but meatchicken is gaining confidence, so you never know.

bama looks unbeatable, but given the SEC speed, they may have lost already and we just haven't seen it yet.

as long as the ducks can outscore everyone, they look good too.

mightysooner
10/3/2010, 12:18 PM
We have no chance of doing that until we fix our fourth quarter funk problem on both sides of the ball.

BoulderSooner79
10/3/2010, 12:20 PM
If we win out, the odds are extremely high we play for the title.

The odds are high we don't' win out.

rainiersooner
10/3/2010, 12:20 PM
Sure, if all but one team ranked above us lose. There really isn't much more to say.

Perhaps. But it would be interesting if the two teams who remained unbeaten were Alabama and Boise. Alabama would be a given. But whether it's an unbeaten OU, or Ohio State, I wonder if Boise would retain their position. I think as the end of the season gets closer, the votes begin to vote more on intangibles and less on "what was your ranking the week before".

I think Boise's fate is far more predicated on the fate of others (e.g., will Va Tech win out? How will Oregon St. fare in the PAC 10, etc.?).

tooslow
10/3/2010, 12:21 PM
A simple "yes" is the answer to all of your questions. There are many on this site that do not feel that winning close games will matter, a long as we are winning. However, there's no way in hell we jump Bama or Oregon if they are undefeated. I think tOSU will lose a game and Boise will go undefeated. We will definitely be ahead of Boise in the BCS standings, but we will need Bama or Oregon to drop a game. Not to mention, we also need to take care of business. Still LOTS of football to be played. :)

BoulderSooner79
10/3/2010, 12:24 PM
Unbeaten Boise, TCU and Utah would all fall below unbeaten SEC, big10, big12 or Pac10 team. The gains the buster team have made is that they would probably not fall below 1 loss teams from those conferences. I think the SEC might still top them with 1 loss, but not the others. They have also passed up the big east and ACC, but those conferences have no unbeatens.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/3/2010, 12:25 PM
Given we win out, the computers will help us tremendously.

MI Sooner
10/3/2010, 12:30 PM
Definitely. It's not that unlikely that we'd be the only undefeated BCS team if we run the table. To me, the more interesting quesiton (with all the what ifs) is whether we could possibly jump Ohio St or Oregon if we both win out. I think our computer ranking will be higher, but if we're a full ranking behind them (not splitting votes for #2), then it'd be tough.

When you get the end of the season, and it becomes a clear argument between team A and team B (and talk radio would surely discuss this topic), people do a much better job of looking at all the facts. Granted, a lot of times people just pick a couple facts to rationalize whatever team they "feel" is the best, but usually the resumes get scrutinized. That said, the best things for our resume would be:

FSU beating Miami and finishing ahead of them in the conference. This one is huge for us to pass Ohio St, and it would be even bigger if FSU wins the ACC with Miami falling off into the pack.

Nebraska finishing undefeated in impressive fashion, setting up a showcase game when, iirc, Ohio St. would be off and Oregon would have what could be a decent, but not great, matchup against Oregon St.

At the end of the year, our resume will need to be clearly better than OSU's or Oregons to jump them, not just arguably better. So if Nebraska is clearly better than Iowa, FSU is clearly better than Miami, Oklahoma St. or Texas or Mizzou is clearly better than or Michigan, NW, or Wisconsin, I think we have a good chance.

If the Big XII beats up on each other, and we have a bunch of wins over 8-4 teams to hang our hat on, we're screwed

I think the best case scenario, within reason, is that we finish with a win over a top 5-10 team (Nebraska), two from 11-17 or so (FSU and say, Okie St or Mizzou), and 2-3 teams from 18-25 (USAFA and Tex/A&M/Okie St/Mizzou).

That might be enough.

tooslow
10/3/2010, 12:35 PM
If we win out, the odds are extremely high we play for the title.

The odds are high we don't' win out.

Well said! The OU team that played against FSU has a good chance to run the table. The one that is 4-0 against everyone else will be lucky to have just 1 conference loss. From what I've seen, uterus is no better than the 5th best team in the Conference. Time will tell, though. In another 2 months, we can look back and see who the true fortune tellers were. :D

Okie35
10/3/2010, 12:53 PM
If we out we'll probably get Boise State again. We won't jump Oregon or Ohio State if they win out, period. The only team we'll play that would help our cause is Nebraska and they would have to be unbeaten too.

ashley
10/3/2010, 01:50 PM
Not if two of Oregon, Bama, and OSU are undefeated.

JLEW1818
10/3/2010, 01:52 PM
only teams that need to lose are Ohio State and Oregon.

We will have zero problem jumping Boise State and TCU.

It would be nice to see Bama drop a game too.

En_Fuego
10/3/2010, 01:56 PM
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/cheerz12296/cheerleader.gif

GO T*XAS.....GO AIR FORCE.....GO FSU.....GO ALL SHEEP****ER's

Jacie
10/3/2010, 01:57 PM
If we out we'll probably get Boise State again. We won't jump Oregon or Ohio State if they win out, period. The only team we'll play that would help our cause is Nebraska and they would have to be unbeaten too.

Barring an upset, Missouri should still be unbeaten when OU plays them.

If OSU can get past KSU (and sa*et), they could also be unbeaten when the Sooners go to Stillwater.

madillsoonerfan5353
10/3/2010, 02:00 PM
Sure if we win out we'll have no problem getting into the Chip's Party Bowl! :D

WA. Sooner
10/3/2010, 02:05 PM
airforce and fl st are our friends now