PDA

View Full Version : Lets give props

Collier11
10/3/2010, 02:16 AM
OU fans questioned all year (not all fans, just alot) if Landry was a big time QB, he proved time n time again today that he is indeed a big time QB

OU fans questioned all year whether we had the O-line to get the big yards when needed. Our O-line did pretty much anything they wanted today against a top 10 Defense. Congrats O-line for leading this team to a victory, that is all

Ou fans questioned whether we have a big time D, time n time again this D made HUGE plays with their back against the wall!

BOOMER SOONER!!!

SoonerStormchaser
10/3/2010, 02:21 AM
Other than that dorkulus fumble at the end, from what I read (cause they don't exactly show the game in Greece), it's looking more and more that he's finally getting the rhythm down and settling in. It took Hybl awhile too (about a whole season, IIRC).

StoopTroup
10/3/2010, 02:28 AM
He gave it all he could to save that fumble/sack from becoming OUr worst nightmare and once Tress got his foot on that ball with his monster punt.....tejas choked up like a baby eating strained carrots.

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/BCP/BCP112/infant-eating-baby_~BCP012-02.jpg

SoonerStormchaser
10/3/2010, 02:31 AM
Well, Tress definitely made up for that 17 yard clunker earlier...

oumartin
10/3/2010, 06:46 AM
Tress must have some funky turn on his punts because people have issues fielding his punts.

Also, Landry still does some rather dumb things as a starting QB but he is 1-0 as a starting qb in the RRS so can't complain there! :)

AlbqSooner
10/3/2010, 06:50 AM
Tress is left footed. It makes a difference.

htownsooner7
10/3/2010, 07:13 AM
Okay, dude, you are really going overboard with these posts. Jones played a "decent" game. That's it. We beat the worst whorn team that they have had in a number of years. I'm thrilled we won. You think this means Jones is a "big time qb"? Now I'm sure you and all your friends will jump down my throat. If I don't have the opportunity to disagree on this board, then this board is no bueno. Jones played fine, and he played fine in a big rivalry game. That is good. He is not a big time qb yet. How many qbs in the country would you rather have than him? Lets have that discussion just so I can understand what you mean by big time qb.

Crucifax Autumn
10/3/2010, 07:28 AM
Collier's not the only one saying this.

From ESPN Dallas:

DALLAS -- It's taken five games for Oklahoma's Landry Jones to go from the Big 12's biggest question mark to arguably its best quarterback.

Let's be brutally honest: That's pretty faint praise. Quality quarterbacks are suddenly hard to find in a conference that had four passers finish among the top four in Heisman votes the last few years, including 2008 winner Sam Bradford.

Landry Jones may not yet have reached the level of Sam Bradford, but both have the same number of Red River Rivalry wins.
Obviously, Jones pales in comparison to his predecessor. But he did match Bradford's Red River Rivalry win total with a solid performance in the Sooners' 28-20 win over Texas on Saturday afternoon.

Jones completed 24 of 39 passes for 236 yards and two touchdowns in a turnover-free performance at the Cotton Bowl, a dramatic improvement from giving the ball away three times in a loss to UT last season.

Even Bradford couldn't have thrown a better pass than Jones' 16-yard touchdown strike to Kenny Stills in the first quarter, when he had perfect touch while putting the ball in a tiny window where Stills could catch it despite tight coverage.

No quarterback in the Big 12 has thrown for more yards than Jones' 1,457 in the first five games. He's tied for second in the league with 11 touchdown passes and has been picked off only three times -- and just once since a shaky season opener.

The most important stat for Jones, of course, is the No. 8 Sooners' 5-0 record. He had a rough redshirt freshman season when forced to fill in for the injured Bradford, but Jones is good enough now for Oklahoma to believe it can run the table during a down season in the Big 12.

"He's made the plays when we needed them," receiver Ryan Broyles said.

Texas' Garrett Gilbert and Texas A&M's Jerrod Johnson got much more preseason hype, but that's died down as the Longhorns' offense sputtered and Johnson invented creative ways to commit turnovers.

OK, Baylor fans: You're puffing out your chests at this point, having downed about a dozen Dr Peppers while celebrating the Bears' blowout of Kansas. You're ranting about Robert Griffin III, who is fresh off accounting for 444 total yards and four touchdowns against the Jayhawks.

But I'll believe Griffin is back to his pre-torn ACL form, which would make him this Big 12's best quarterback, when he performs well against a quality foe. He was way too hesitant to give Baylor a chance to come close to scaring No. 5 TCU a couple of weeks ago.

Jones, on the other hand, has been above-average to awesome against the Sooners' most respectable foes. He torched Florida State for 380 yards and four touchdowns in a rout that dropped the Seminoles from the rankings. He threw for 370 yards and two touchdowns with one interception in a road win over defending Big East champion Cincinnati. And he was efficient against the Longhorns despite Texas' trio of elite cornerbacks.

"The guy's playing fabulously," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said. "He's playing great. He's a solid player. He has a great arm and quick release. He's smart and is taking care of the ball."

Well, there was one notable exception Saturday to that whole taking-care-of-the-ball concept.

Jones' stunning fumble with about 90 seconds remaining almost allowed Texas to tie a game it had trailed since the Sooners marched 83 yards on the opening possession. OU offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson blamed malfunctioning headphones for pre-play communication issues, but it's still inexcusable for a scrambling Jones to allow linebacker Emmanuel Acho to force a fumble when a turnover is Texas' only chance.

"From the beginning, it was messed up," Jones said. "I went the wrong way on the snap and then tried to roll out to get myself back into the play. I was trying to throw it away when that guy raked it out. ... I hit it and then I saw guys just diving for me. It was pretty lucky on our part to have that ball go out of bounds and not have a big turnover there."

That fortunate bounce is pretty symbolic of these Sooners: They're an imperfect 5-0 team that has had some luck on their side this season.

You can nitpick Jones, but you can't pick a Big 12 quarterback who is clearly better.

htownsooner7
10/3/2010, 07:29 AM
Okay, I'll start. Kellen Moore, McElroy, Kaepernick, Mallett, Luck. Would you rather have Jones than Dalton, Locker, Gabbert? What about the Oregon guy, Pryor, or Robinson (more dual threat types)? I can't imagine that the approval for Landry Jones would be so high if his unforced fumble on his own 10 yard line with 1:30 to go in the game was recovered by Texas.

Crucifax Autumn
10/3/2010, 07:33 AM
I'd rather have just about anyone than Gabbert.

oumartin
10/3/2010, 07:42 AM
I'd rather have just about anyone than Gabbert.

Locker? are you kidding me? Jones has more wins this year than Locker has in his career.

some of your other choices are legit. Most are in their final year of school however.
It's cool to be critical but your delivery sucks.

htownsooner7
10/3/2010, 07:42 AM
Maybe its the definition of big time qb that's throwing me off.

soonerborn30
10/3/2010, 07:45 AM
McElroy isn't that great either.

Crucifax Autumn
10/3/2010, 07:46 AM
I can also do without Locker. And Pryor, McElroy, and some of the others just don't do it for me. McElroy wins at least, but he's not a great QB at all. Pryor is perpetual fail despite years of Heisman jabbering and espn knob slobbin'.

oumartin
10/3/2010, 07:48 AM
I won't lie and say I'd take Landry over all those other qb's but thats not to say he isn't an elite qb. Landry still has some learning to do no doubt but whats the deal? he tap your mom?

XingTheRubicon
10/3/2010, 08:10 AM
Quoted by - All College Football Quarterbacks
Sam Bradford is a bastard

SoonerStormchaser
10/3/2010, 08:26 AM
Pryor is overrated...seriously.

htownsooner7
10/3/2010, 08:42 AM
Locker? are you kidding me? Jones has more wins this year than Locker has in his career.

some of your other choices are legit. Most are in their final year of school however.
It's cool to be critical but your delivery sucks.

No, that's all I needed to know about the level of discussion on this issue. There are 32 NFL teams that disagree with you about the comparison to Locker. You're right, Jones is the best, all the other quarterbacks have issues. Jones doesn't. That fumble wasn't important. His game against Nebraska wasn't important. His interception against Cincy wasn't important. His 16 picks last year weren't important. His game against Utah State wasn't important. His game against Air Force wasn't important. I mean, I don't remember any of our coaches being very critical of him about his play against Utah State and Air Force. But then again, those are big time teams, and after all, Jones is a big time quarterback.

DenverSooner751
10/3/2010, 08:44 AM
Maybe its the definition of big time qb that's throwing me off.

I can agree with both sides on this topic. I wouldn't say Landry is a big time QB that is going to put up the heisman campaign numbers and flash that some of the guys you mentioned will, but at the same time - being a big time QB isn't so much about the big time numbers as it is being able to manage a situation and lead a team.

With the exception of the bone headed fumble yesterday, Landry managed the team well, and when he was given time (prior to UT finding a way to dial up pressure in the second half) he picked apart the Texas secondary. YOU WILL NOT FIND A SINGLE MEDIA SOURCE going into the RRS this year calling Texas' secondary a liability.......he destroyed them. Period.

So while he is not a flashy big number OMG did you see that type of QB, he is efficient and yesterday for the mass majority of the game he appeared to be poised and in control of the offense.

I won't go as far as to say he is "big time" but guess what.....5-0 is 5-0 regardless of how you spin it. If he were not playing as well as he has then we could easily be 2-3......think about that for a minute.......Our D has not been sensational, our running game hasn't been something that strikes fear in the heart of opponents.......he has done well with what he has and he continues to get better each and every game. I think we're in for a treat during October.

DenverSooner751
10/3/2010, 08:47 AM
No, that's all I needed to know about the level of discussion on this issue. There are 32 NFL teams that disagree with you about the comparison to Locker. You're right, Jones is the best, all the other quarterbacks have issues. Jones doesn't. That fumble wasn't important. His game against Nebraska wasn't important. His interception against Cincy wasn't important. His 16 picks last year weren't important. His game against Utah State wasn't important. His game against Air Force wasn't important. I mean, I don't remember any of our coaches being very critical of him about his play against Utah State and Air Force. But then again, those are big time teams, and after all, Jones is a big time quarterback.

Wanna talk about all the others guys you mentioned and how they did last year too?

oumartin
10/3/2010, 08:48 AM

I never said jones was perfect.. you have issues with reading?

htownsooner7
10/3/2010, 08:48 AM
And to clarify, my only point aimed at OUMartin was the Locker comment. Don't mean to come down too hard on him. The rest are to counter all the criticisms of say McElroy, who has never lost, Pryor who won the Rose Bowl last year, and Locker who is a very likely first round draft pick. If we were talking about Bradford, I could live with it, but Jones is far from perfect.

htownsooner7
10/3/2010, 08:52 AM
[QUOTE=DenverSooner751;2973608]Wanna talk about all the others guys you mentioned and how they did last year too?[/QUOT

The NFL experts said Locker was a sure fire 1st rounder last year if he would have come out. McElroy won the national championship. Do I have to talk about Kellen Moore's numbers? Kaepernick is one of a few guys all time to have those kinds of rushing and passing stats. Mallett actually was pretty up and down as well in 2009, but, as we sit here in 2010, I'd rather have Mallett.

CrimsonJim
10/3/2010, 08:55 AM

You like comparing apples and oranges. Try comparing him to any of the other sophomore quarterbacks and get back with me.

htownsooner7
10/3/2010, 08:55 AM
And this conversation is likely to end up with someone saying I'm unfairly pessimistic about this win. I loved this win and am happy to have it. My exception to this discussion is whether Landry Jones HAS DEMONSTRATED that he is a big time quarterback yet. I say that he hasn't yet.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
10/3/2010, 08:56 AM
LJ played a BIG-TIME game yesterday. It will warrant a lot of attention. If he can continue to improve is the question. I sure hope so. I think he's a real talent!

htownsooner7
10/3/2010, 08:56 AM
You like comparing apples and oranges. Try comparing him to any of the other sophomore quarterbacks and get back with me.

Not true, you need to read the entire first post. This whole conversation is about whether he is a "big time" quarterback. Not whether he is one of the best sophomore quarterbacks.

DenverSooner751
10/3/2010, 08:58 AM
Not true, you need to read the entire first post. This whole conversation is about whether he is a "big time" quarterback. Not whether he is one of the best sophomore quarterbacks.

So what does that have to do with all of those other QBs?

CrimsonJim
10/3/2010, 09:00 AM

I changed the subject when you weren't looking. Pay tention! ;)

DenverSooner751
10/3/2010, 09:00 AM
[QUOTE=DenverSooner751;2973608]Wanna talk about all the others guys you mentioned and how they did last year too?[/QUOT

The NFL experts said Locker was a sure fire 1st rounder last year if he would have come out. McElroy won the national championship. Do I have to talk about Kellen Moore's numbers? Kaepernick is one of a few guys all time to have those kinds of rushing and passing stats. Mallett actually was pretty up and down as well in 2009, but, as we sit here in 2010, I'd rather have Mallett.

And for what it is worth.....the NFL thought Ryan Leaf was the next coming too.....I'm sure I could round up at least 10 more examples from the past 5 years as well if I cared to waste enough time on the thought.

My point is, about Locker....I don't care what the NFL says, he has chocked far more than LJ in situations that he should not have chocked. I'm not saying LJ is a better talent but I am saying that I would rather have LJ than Locker on our team.....again, on OUR team....he fits the system.

htownsooner7
10/3/2010, 09:05 AM
I certainly understand the hesitancy about Locker. I just think his teams haven't been very talented. Hard to say because he is also very turnover prone. As to the discussion, my point is that there has to be a line as to who really counts as a big time quarterback. Bradford, McCoy, and Tebow were "big time" quarterbacks. Vince Young and Matt Leinart were big time quarterbacks. This year, I think McElroy, Luck, and Moore may end up qualifying. Jones may get there, but he has not demonstrated it yet.

PLaw
10/3/2010, 09:08 AM
"Jones, on the other hand, has been above-average to awesome against the Sooners' most respectable foes. He torched Florida State for 380 yards and four touchdowns in a rout that dropped the Seminoles from the rankings. He threw for 370 yards and two touchdowns with one interception in a road win over defending Big East champion Cincinnati. And he was efficient against the Longhorns despite Texas' trio of elite cornerbacks. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Landry - a slayer of pretenders??? meh??

BOOMER

DenverSooner751
10/3/2010, 09:13 AM
"Jones, on the other hand, has been above-average to awesome against the Sooners' most respectable foes. He torched Florida State for 380 yards and four touchdowns in a rout that dropped the Seminoles from the rankings. He threw for 370 yards and two touchdowns with one interception in a road win over defending Big East champion Cincinnati. And he was efficient against the Longhorns despite Texas' trio of elite cornerbacks. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Landry - a slayer of pretenders??? meh??

BOOMER

LOL - somebody needs to start that thread before 85 does...

olevetonahill
10/3/2010, 09:27 AM

But you see we talking about D1A QBs not NFL QBs

Now is there another College QB out there Id rather have than LJ?
Hell no. for the very simple reason LJ WANTED TO BE A SOONER none of the others did so **** em .

DenverSooner751
10/3/2010, 09:31 AM
But you see we talking about D1A QBs not NFL QBs

Now is there another College QB out there Id rather have than LJ?
Hell no. for the very simple reason LJ WANTED TO BE A SOONER none of the others did so **** em .

Amen. Preach it

htownsooner7
10/3/2010, 09:33 AM
And I get negged for disagreeing about whether Jones is a big time quarterback. Humorous.

CrimsonJim
10/3/2010, 09:40 AM
The number 1 rule about spek...

budbarrybob
10/3/2010, 09:46 AM
htownsooner,

My suggestion for you is to suit up yourself. I think that with your attitude, you are the only one that will meet your expectations.

olevetonahill
10/3/2010, 09:47 AM
htownsooner,

My suggestion for you is to suit up yourself. I think that with your attitude, you are the only one that will meet your expectations.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

delhalew
10/3/2010, 09:56 AM
Apples and oranges is right.

I don't give two ****s what neffel experts make of Locker. In college, he's a dog. Some of the best college QB's couldn't make it in the pros.

Some of these guys get pissed at me when I refuse to ignore Landry's boneheaded moves, but he is a good college QB getting better.

Of the other QBs you named, the only ones that impress me are Luck, Mallet< and McElroy(yes, that's right. He's a winner and knows how to take care of a game. Contrary to popular belief he can throw a nice ball).

When Landry is on, he's one of the best. Give the kid a little more time to grow up.

Leroy Lizard
10/3/2010, 10:12 AM
Okay, I'll start. Kellen Moore, McElroy, Kaepernick, Mallett, Luck. Would you rather have Jones than Dalton, Locker, Gabbert? What about the Oregon guy, Pryor, or Robinson (more dual threat types)? I can't imagine that the approval for Landry Jones would be so high if his unforced fumble on his own 10 yard line with 1:30 to go in the game was recovered by Texas.

To be fair, how many of these guys are sophomores?

aero
10/3/2010, 10:28 AM
Landry has some room for improvement but so does most other qb's around the country. He's a decent qb who could become awesome. That pass he made to stills was incredible. So was the catch. So far, he's done what he needed to do. Hell, he even made a good play on his fumble to get the ball just out of the defenders grasp. I'd take Jones over all of the others. Warts and all.

yermom
10/3/2010, 10:29 AM
yeah, what about the fact that he's a sophomore?

seriously though, it's hard to really thump our chests about beating Texas, Texas kinda beat Texas

when our drives were sputtering, they'd bail us out with penalties. Landry had TWO fumbles that we got lucky on. fortunately, he got to learn without it costing us the game.

JLEW1818
10/3/2010, 10:34 AM

seriously though, it's hard to really thump our chests about beating Texas, Texas kinda beat Texas

when our drives were sputtering, they'd bail us out with penalties. Landry had TWO fumbles that we got lucky on. fortunately, he got to learn without it costing us the game.

we finally got the long end of the stick.

oh and that's what she said. ...

btb916
10/3/2010, 10:40 AM
Landry Jones made a lot of mistakes last year. He didn't have much help, though, considering all the drops by our wide-outs and the disastrous o-line.

This year, he is pretty quickly progressing. His worst trait last year was interceptions--something he is not doing this year. He had that one overthrow that was *almost* picked off yesterday, but he also had three *spectacular* throws--to Stills in the endzone; to Murray on fourth down (I still can't believe that); and to Broyles for the TD that was called back on the illegal shift. This was against a really, really good Texas secondary. He also got everyone to the line and set very quickly.

He did have two fumbles and, thankfully, Sooner Magic kept the ball on our side. You can't have a championship season without a little luck here and there. That last-second fumble was most likely an aberration.

So while I still worry about LJ when there is intense pressure, I think he is pretty quickly improving in that area as well. After this season, I think he will be a stud. And if he stays four years...look out.

btb916
10/3/2010, 10:44 AM

On every major Texas mistake, we capitalized.

Against Cinci, their first three turnovers resulted in three points. So I think it's easy to say we beat Texas.

DenverSooner751
10/3/2010, 10:45 AM
Landry Jones made a lot of mistakes last year. He didn't have much help, though, considering all the drops by our wide-outs and the disastrous o-line.

This year, he is pretty quickly progressing. His worst trait last year was interceptions--something he is not doing this year. He had that one overthrow that was *almost* picked off yesterday, but he also had three *spectacular* throws--to Stills in the endzone; to Murray on fourth down (I still can't believe that); and to Broyles for the TD that was called back on the illegal shift. This was against a really, really good Texas secondary. He also got everyone to the line and set very quickly.

He did have two fumbles and, thankfully, Sooner Magic kept the ball on our side. You can't have a championship season without a little luck here and there. That last-second fumble was most likely an aberration.

So while I still worry about LJ when there is intense pressure, I think he is pretty quickly improving in that area as well. After this season, I think he will be a stud. And if he stays four years...look out.

This is what some people are missing.

I don't think everything is rainbows and butterflies with LJ but he showed up yesterday.......mostly. There were the mistakes but think about it.....we have this guy for what, at least one more and probably two more years. If he continues to improve from what he was....then this could be fun.

yermom
10/3/2010, 10:47 AM
that TD to Broyles that got called back was insane

i will give some props to KW. the offense wrinkles looked great IMO

i want to see more of Millard

that delayed counter draw to Murray or whatever that was was pretty sweet

DenverSooner751
10/3/2010, 10:50 AM

The sprint draw? That was a NICE change of pace that we hadn't seen much (if any) of this year. Great game planning to take advantage of some of what UCLA exposed.

I liked that and the FB usage....that caught everybody off guard I think.

oumartin

kw always looks like a good O.C. in the first half. Second half. well not so much.

btb916

I loved the delayed counter handoffs as well. (What is the correct term for that play?) I also LOVED the FB dives! Hope we continue to hand the ball off to the 240+ pound bruiser Millard.

Leroy Lizard
10/3/2010, 11:08 AM

Having thought it over, I would take Landry over most of those guys you mentioned. Seriously.

Why?

Because at the end of this year they have to be replaced.

adoniijahsooner
10/3/2010, 11:16 AM
Having thought it over, I would take Landry over most of those guys you mentioned. Seriously.

Why?

Because at the end of this year they have to be replaced.

this

stoopified
10/3/2010, 11:32 AM
Collier's not the only one saying this.

From ESPN Dallas:Good stuff