PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Winchester

rainiersooner
10/2/2010, 10:36 PM
When OU rolled into Seattle in '08 to play the Huskies, I found myself on a bus from the stadium with a bunch of Sooner fans. The woman I was sitting next to had an OU shirt on a button of a kid I didn't recognize. The back of her shirt said Winchester. Again, no clue. We start talking. She tells me her son is the deep snapper. Used to be a quarterback in high school. Real nice lady. I remember wondering what it must be like to be the parent of an unknown, unheralded player.

Man, she must have been smiling today.

Nicely played Mr. Winchester. What a way to go out your senior season at the Cotton Bowl.

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2010, 10:39 PM
Did you notice the line from the announcer after the recovery? "James Winchester just fired the shot heard around the Cotton Bowl". Love it when a role player gets some spotlight.

badger
10/2/2010, 10:43 PM
I posted more pics on the fark board, but what the heck:
http://images.chron.com/photos/2010/10/02/23519641/600xPopupGallery.jpg
Congrats, Jimmy. Hope Travis let you touch the gold hat at least once and Bob gave you a game ball, preferrably the one who stole from Texas :D

PS: SS.com has him listed as a junior, so he still has the chance to kill Texas once more, right? :)

Piware
10/2/2010, 10:51 PM
Great job Jimmy. A memory that will last for the rest of your life. BOOMER SOONER!!!

rainiersooner
10/3/2010, 12:20 AM
Just awesome for him - cool!!!

badger
10/3/2010, 08:59 AM
Another shot of the hero:
http://i53.tinypic.com/jimc1u.jpg

King Crimson
10/3/2010, 09:03 AM
you watch holakyle's youtube highlights and Jimmy is not real eager to give the ball up after the recovery

PLaw
10/3/2010, 09:16 AM
Isn't he related to Mike Winchester? Mike was a great punter in the 80's from South Central Oklahoma - his grandparents were friends of the family in the Table Top mountains.

Anywho - great, great hustle play JIMMY! You sealed the deal for the evil orange.

BOOMER

SoonerPr8r
10/4/2010, 10:44 PM
you watch holakyle's youtube highlights and Jimmy is not real eager to give the ball up after the recovery

I noticed that. He had a deathgrip on the ball. I wonder if the refs ended up taking it from him

Salt City Sooner
10/4/2010, 10:58 PM
Isn't he related to Mike Winchester? Mike was a great punter in the 80's from South Central Oklahoma - his grandparents were friends of the family in the Table Top mountains.

Anywho - great, great hustle play JIMMY! You sealed the deal for the evil orange.

BOOMER
He's MIke's son. His sister Carolyn was on the women's hoops team a couple of years back as well.

olevetonahill
10/4/2010, 11:23 PM
Allsome, Hope he got to keep the Ball.

AlbqSooner
10/5/2010, 06:17 AM
Mike Winchester is one of the FUNNIEST people ever to play for OU.

Sooner70
10/5/2010, 06:27 AM
If this kid makes no other notable play, rides the bench or whatever in the future, his legacy is cemented for this one event. He's earned all the rights & prestige of a notable Sooner Player for this heads up play that cemented OU's well earned victory. Way to go Jimmy!

Crucifax Autumn
10/5/2010, 06:47 AM
Just one more great Sooner. I love it.