PDA

View Full Version : CNN cans Sanchez after Jewish comments

Crucifax Autumn
10/1/2010, 11:24 PM
Maybe he'll turn up on Al Jazeera...

NEW YORK (AP) — CNN fired news anchor Rick Sanchez on Friday, a day after he called Jon Stewart a bigot in a radio show interview where he also questioned whether Jews should be considered a minority.

Sanchez, who was born in Cuba and had worked at CNN since 2004, was host of the two-hour "Rick's List" on CNN's afternoon lineup. He did a prime-time version of that show in recent months, but that ended this week because the time slot is being filled by a new show featuring former New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer and columnist Kathleen Parker.

Stewart had frequently poked fun of Sanchez on Comedy Central's "The Daily Show," most recently for saying on the air that his show had received a tweet from House Republican leader John Boehner. Stewart called it a case of "send a twit a tweet."

"He's upset that someone of my ilk is almost at his level," Sanchez said during a satellite radio interview with Pete Dominick. Details of the interview were posted on the Mediaite website Friday and quickly became a topic of conversation in the media world.

Sanchez said that Stewart is bigoted toward "everybody else that's not like him." He said Stewart "can't relate to what I grew up with," saying his family had been poor and he had seen prejudice directed at his father.

Sanchez dismisses it when Dominick points out that Stewart, who is Jewish, is also a minority.

"I'm telling you that everyone who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority?" Sanchez said, adding a sarcastic "yeah."

"I can't see someone not getting a job these days because they're Jewish," he said.

CNN issued a statement late Friday that said Sanchez "is no longer with the company." In it, the network also thanked Sanchez "for his years of service" and wished him well.

Sanchez did not immediately return an e-mail or call to his mobile phone seeking comment, though it was unclear whether the CNN-issued phone or e-mail address were still active.

Stewart had no comment on Sanchez's statements, a Comedy Central spokesman said.

Three times in the past few months Stewart had used a Sanchez clip for the mocking "moment of Zen" feature on "The Daily Show," including once where Sanchez mispronounced the world "annals" in a story about Vice President Joe Biden.

He also made fun of Sanchez questioning a reporter who was stationed in a California gay bar for a report on the court case there involving gay marriage and hadn't found anyone at the bar who opposed the idea.

Sanchez spent much of his career as a reporter and anchor in Miami, where he won an Emmy Award in 1983 for a story on why he left Cuba. He has also worked at MSNBC and CNBC.

During the interview with Dominick, Sanchez told about a CNN executive whom he would not name telling him that he saw Sanchez not as an anchor but a reporter like ABC's John Quinones. He implied that this was a subtle form of bias.

Later in the interview Sanchez, indicated that "bigot" may be too strong a word to describe Stewart, saying he was "prejudicial" instead.

"He's not just a comedian. ... He can make and break careers," Sanchez said.

LosAngelesSooner
10/2/2010, 04:13 AM
The funny thing about all of this is...

Sanchez is dumb. Plain and simple. He is not a very intelligent guy. BUT he is obviously very insecure and desperately wants people to think he's smart (and desperately wants to believe that he IS smart) so he resents other people who don't think he's bright.

Stewart and Colbert have ripped Sanchez for saying and doing REALLY dumb things. Things that expose just how dimwitted he is, primarily because they are both exceptionally bright AND quick on their feet. Two things he isn't, but aspires to be and pretends he is (watch his "Ad Lib a Tease" bit on Youtube) This hits him hard because of how insecure he is.

So what does he do?

He gets on the air and says and does something REALLY stupid: he starts out with anti-semitic accusations, bad logic and THEN even goes after the people who sign his paycheck, lumping them into his tirade.

Compounding this is that his show has **** poor ratings (unlike Beck, who has great ratings, thus allowing him to cover himself in fecal matter and run nekkid through the Fox bunkers...er...studios, while yelling profanities about Rupert Murdoch) so they really don't give a crap about filling his time slot. A caged hamster could do a better job than Sanchez.

Yeah...bosses just LOVE it when their employees attack them personally, in public, on the air, especially when they are a minority.

So, as would happen with almost anyone else, he gets fired, thus proving all of the criticisms he's received TRUE and validating everything Colbert and Stewart have said about him.

MORON.

Crucifax Autumn
10/2/2010, 04:19 AM
Big time.

I never bought into all his fake outrage anyway. He does a story then rails on some **** he was supporting a few months back when the political climate was different. He's faker than Pam Anderson's titties.

Crucifax Autumn
10/2/2010, 04:22 AM
Of course CNN sucks in general lately since they've been trying to compete with Fox by airing dumbazz opinion journalism. It's just wrong to see anchors who were previosly sane and balanced turn to the camera as it zooms, rattle off some crazy opinion that is meant to get a bunch of responses on their blog, then MENTION said blog, and go to commercial. When they started that crap it became official that there is no legit TV news source in America.

AlbqSooner
10/2/2010, 05:56 AM
Sanchez IS dumb. I mean really, on CNN and stating the truth, What did he expect??? :confused:

Besides, he is a messican.;)

badger
10/2/2010, 08:08 AM
Both accomplished a lot to get to the positions they were in... why would Sanchez blow all he worked for in his 52 years of life to attack a comedy show guy? I mean, do comedians make fun of nobodies anymore? Shouldn't it be a compliment that you're in the jokes now, that you're at least semi-relevant?

Alas no, but I think some people forget that Jon wasn't born in that Daily Show "anchor" chair. He had minor roles in movies and toured stand-up for years before he got such a position that he's excelling in now.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/2/2010, 08:53 AM
I haven't watched CNN since Persian Gulf War I.

GrapevineSooner
10/2/2010, 08:56 AM
Great!!!

Rick Sanchez and Mel Gibson can start their own news network now!!

StoopTroup
10/2/2010, 10:59 AM
Mel>Sanchez

A Sooner in Texas
10/2/2010, 12:21 PM
Damn...I'm going to miss watching Sanchez and yelling "You dumb****" at the screen several times in an hour.

Crucifax Autumn
10/2/2010, 12:52 PM
You'll be able to yell at his replacement. Certain to be equally moronic if not worse.

Blue
10/2/2010, 01:03 PM
Of course CNN sucks in general lately since they've been trying to compete with Fox by airing dumbazz opinion journalism. It's just wrong to see anchors who were previosly sane and balanced turn to the camera as it zooms, rattle off some crazy opinion that is meant to get a bunch of responses on their blog, then MENTION said blog, and go to commercial. When they started that crap it became official that there is no legit TV news source in America.

Couldn't have said it better.

Blue
10/2/2010, 01:04 PM
Google "Rick Sanchez DUI". He killed someone awhile back while driving drunk home from a dolphins game. Got away with it too.

Blue
10/2/2010, 01:10 PM
QCQwRChSayI

Crucifax Autumn
10/2/2010, 01:17 PM
At least this probably means no more dumb music on fotos del dia phucko or whatever it's called.

stoopified
10/3/2010, 12:29 PM
The lesson here is DON"T DIS MY PEOPLE.

tommieharris91
10/3/2010, 12:36 PM
This is addition by subtraction.

batonrougesooner
10/5/2010, 10:46 AM
never heard of the guy...

OklahomaTuba
10/5/2010, 11:02 AM
CNN is still around?

StoopTroup
10/5/2010, 01:16 PM
Sanchez should send his resume to Colbert and ask him for a job.