PDA

View Full Version : Fox leaves Dish Network

Mississippi Sooner
10/1/2010, 03:37 PM
Or Dish Network dropped Fox. They are both pointing fingers, and it all has to do with one of those rate increase fights. This includes everything from FX to the local Fox Sports Net channels.

I would be willing to bet that at least the Iowa State and Baylor games will be on Fox Sports Net. I hope they get this worked out in the next two weeks.

badger
10/1/2010, 03:38 PM
Does this mean no more Poke games?

http://i51.tinypic.com/k34nt5.jpg

Sorry, just looking for an excuse to post that again ;)

olevetonahill
10/1/2010, 03:43 PM
And I been threatening to switch to em :eek:

Mississippi Sooner
10/1/2010, 03:50 PM
They usually get these things worked out before too long. Since this involves more than just the sports channels, I'm hoping they'll get a lot more people raising hell about it.

It doesn't involve Fox News, though. I wish it did. That would really get a bunch of irate people calling in.

soonersweetie
10/1/2010, 03:51 PM
wow, that's not going to go over too well. My dad has Dish and I know he watched some of the college games on there.

virginiasooner
10/1/2010, 03:54 PM
And the world continues to spin on its axis. We can't have a satellite dish because we're on the wrong side of the apartment building. I'd prefer Vios, but they're being jerks about damaging the building while rewiring it.

SoonerShay
10/1/2010, 03:59 PM
Fox was doing the same thing with some cable company recently, weren't they? They want some kind of premium price, kind of like the same thing HBO gets, for the regular free FOX channel. Except with HBO that fee is passed onto the consumer, you want HBO you pay for it.

Giving into FOX is dangerous, because if you give into them. NBC, ABC and anyone else is going to come calling for the same thing.

MeMyself&Me
10/1/2010, 04:13 PM
They usually get these things worked out before too long.

They haven't been lately.

Apparently Fox wants a 50% rate increase but that comes from Dishnetwork. Haven't heard the Fox side of it but I'm having a hard time understanding how Fox could justify a 50% increase.

I'm a Dishnetwork customer but I have an outdated (and very cheap) package that does not allow me to add the local FSN. It's not worth it for me to leave the package I'm in for the few games a year OU has on FSN. I nearly did it anyway before this season started just so I could get FSN... man, I would have been pissed.

I usually go to a friends house to watch OU games on FSN but he gets it through Dishnetwork so I guess we're both out now for a while. I guess I'll be going to the airport pilot's lounge now where they have DirecTV hooked up. Hardly anyone ever in there on Saturdays.

Mad Dog Madsen
10/1/2010, 04:13 PM
Good thing I got DirecTV! :D

Widescreen
10/1/2010, 04:39 PM
I heard the same 50% figure. That's outrageous and I'm glad Dish is not rolling over on this one. I'm sure they will come to an agreement soon but it will be for substantially less than 50%.

prrriiide
10/1/2010, 04:40 PM
It doesn't involve Fox News, though. I wish it did. That would really get a bunch of irate people calling in.

Hell, that might get me to switch to dish

Sooner02
10/1/2010, 04:42 PM
It won't be resolved very soon if it's anything like the dispute between DirecTV and Versus last year that kept that channel off for the entire football season.

CrimsonJim
10/1/2010, 04:47 PM
They'll get it resolved, or I'll resolve it for them by switching to DirecTV or (God forbid) going back to cable.

BOB LABLAW
10/1/2010, 04:53 PM
They usually get these things worked out before too long. Since this involves more than just the sports channels, I'm hoping they'll get a lot more people raising hell about it.

Viva La Fox

Scott D
10/1/2010, 05:43 PM
It won't be resolved very soon if it's anything like the dispute between DirecTV and Versus last year that kept that channel off for the entire football season.

Bird of a different feather....that was a dispute between DirecTV and Comcast (owner of Versus) with Comcast wanting to get Versus moved out of a sports package and into the basic package.

olevetonahill
10/1/2010, 05:48 PM
Bird of a different feather....that was a dispute between DirecTV and Comcast (owner of Versus) with Comcast wanting to get Versus moved out of a sports package and into the basic package.

Hell Bro I have Direct and dont know if it ever came back on , Did it ?:confused:

GKeeper316
10/1/2010, 05:50 PM
omg corporate greed!

Scott D
10/1/2010, 05:52 PM
Hell Bro I have Direct and dont know if it ever came back on , Did it ?:confused:

yeah they came to an agreement back in April or May.

stoopified
10/1/2010, 05:52 PM
Makes me glad I dropped Dish for U-Verse.

olevetonahill
10/1/2010, 05:53 PM
yeah they came to an agreement back in April or May.

Thanks,Hell I dint Pay Tention
There was only one game on there last year that i wanted to see , caint member which one , But i guess i survived without it :D

Since71ASooner4Life
10/1/2010, 06:29 PM
is this effective immediately?

StoopTroup
10/1/2010, 06:36 PM
Man....this almost makes me want to subscribe to Dish.

cvsooner
10/1/2010, 06:38 PM
Fox owns a big stake in DirecTV as well...so this is not a big surprise.

cvsooner
10/1/2010, 06:39 PM
Hell, that might get me to switch to dish

Hear, hear.

ELP Sooner
10/1/2010, 06:47 PM
DISH Network will continue to negotiate in good faith for a fair deal with FOX to help restore the sports programming and prevent outrageous rate increases in this challenging economic environment. In the meantime, during the FOX lockout, DISH Network will make the following channels available to all affected customers at no additional charge: HD Net Movies, HD Theater, NBA TV, New England Sports Network, NFL Network, NHL Network, Altitude Sports, Big Ten Network, Comcast SportsNet California, Comcast SportsNet Chicago, Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, Comcast Sports Network Mid-Atlantic, Comcast Sports New England, ESPN Classic, FOX Sports Northwest, FOX Sports Pittsburgh, FOX Sports Rocky Mountain, Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, Mid-Atlantic Sports Network2, SportsNet New York, and SportsTime Ohio.

Salt City Sooner
10/1/2010, 06:49 PM
They haven't been lately.

Apparently Fox wants a 50% rate increase but that comes from Dishnetwork. Haven't heard the Fox side of it but I'm having a hard time understanding how Fox could justify a 50% increase.

I'm a Dishnetwork customer but I have an outdated (and very cheap) package that does not allow me to add the local FSN. It's not worth it for me to leave the package I'm in for the few games a year OU has on FSN. I nearly did it anyway before this season started just so I could get FSN... man, I would have been pissed.

I usually go to a friends house to watch OU games on FSN but he gets it through Dishnetwork so I guess we're both out now for a while. I guess I'll be going to the airport pilot's lounge now where they have DirecTV hooked up. Hardly anyone ever in there on Saturdays.
I'm a bit inclined to believe Dish over Fox; they're getting a bit too big for their britches. I have about 200 channels (I'm on Cox), & there is exactly ONE channel that has a copy guard on it; Fox Sports Net. I'm having a difficult time seeing what makes them so special on this.

Scott D
10/1/2010, 06:52 PM
Both Fox Sports Net and Comcast are competing with ESPN in regards to sports programming. In one sense they're trying to get their programing recognized on the same level as ESPN's programming.

The irony of course, is that Fox Soccer Channel has a partnership going with ESPN in regards to broadcasting UEFA Champions League and English Premier League games.

en4cer
10/1/2010, 08:08 PM
DISH Network will continue to negotiate in good faith for a fair deal with FOX to help restore the sports programming and prevent outrageous rate increases in this challenging economic environment. In the meantime, during the FOX lockout, DISH Network will make the following channels available to all affected customers at no additional charge: HD Net Movies, HD Theater, NBA TV, New England Sports Network, NFL Network, NHL Network, Altitude Sports, Big Ten Network, Comcast SportsNet California, Comcast SportsNet Chicago, Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, Comcast Sports Network Mid-Atlantic, Comcast Sports New England, ESPN Classic, FOX Sports Northwest, FOX Sports Pittsburgh, FOX Sports Rocky Mountain, Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, Mid-Atlantic Sports Network2, SportsNet New York, and SportsTime Ohio.

I already have all those. I'm trying to figure out where i break even on this deal.
Is dish going to give a break in pricing to premium sports subscribers? Which big corporation is trying to stick it in and break it off ?

ELP Sooner
10/1/2010, 08:34 PM
I already have all those. I'm trying to figure out where i break even on this deal.
Is dish going to give a break in pricing to premium sports subscribers? Which big corporation is trying to stick it in and break it off ?

I dunno. I have the same sports pak that you have. I wanted to catch ASU and Ore ST and I guess I will because FOX NW is still on. So I thought this was a bit of good news.

ouwasp
10/1/2010, 11:49 PM
why couldn't the ba$tards wait until after football season to play their patty-cake with each other?

ouwasp
10/2/2010, 12:13 AM
crap... I like to have the Texas high school highlight show on as I enjoy Soonerfans late on Friday night/Saturday morning...

But now I turn it over to one of my faves: The History Channel

Now playing: Modern Marvels... The Lumberyard...

not the same :rolleyes:

Now, maybe this is a good sign... hmmm... if The Hammer can lay some wood tomorrow... :)

Crucifax Autumn
10/2/2010, 12:15 AM
I plan on laying some wood tonight.