PDA

View Full Version : Somebody please...

Crimsontothecore
10/1/2010, 11:13 AM
give me some solid reasons to be optimistic about tomorrow. No matter how hard I try, if you put a gun to my head right now I would have to pick the whorns.
Our defense hasn't stopped anyone, we have very little running game and our kicking is very suspect to say the least. Please don't point to the FSU game because that requires one to ignore 75% of our games thus far in which we were sub par.

I'm not trying to be negative but I just can't shake the bad feeling I have about tomorrow and I want something positive to sink my teeth into other than wishful thinking.

mightysooner
10/1/2010, 11:14 AM
Texas doesn't have Ryan Broyles.

jumperstop
10/1/2010, 11:19 AM
Unlike the last couple of seasons, I have a good feeling going into this game. I think our defense has shown both the good and the bad this year but agaisnt Texas' offense we have a good chance of shutting them down. Our offense has the same jekyll and hyde **** going for them that defense does. It is really up to which offense, and which Landry show up for the game. And considering the poise that Landry showed in last year's game after Sammy went out, I think he'll step up and give us a comfotable win, a couple of td's.

BillyBall
10/1/2010, 11:20 AM
This game always scares the living hell out of me, even when OU is the better team. I got nothing.

TahoeSOONER
10/1/2010, 11:24 AM
It comes down to this, Texas is just a very average team this year. They will be without their leading WR, or he'll be banged up, Mike Davis I believe. They are going to try to run so the defense needs to play well and I like the fact that they've struggled to against teams far worse than OU.

Playmakers, OUs gottem, * doesn't.

OU has shown some wrinkles that will help them get the run game going. Slipping the fullback out of the backfield will keep them honest and the tightend looks to be reemerging into our offense.

This game will be a war, usually is, but OU is healthier and has more playmakers to put them away this year.

Key to the game: Turnovers.

mightysooner
10/1/2010, 11:32 AM
I think the game will be a horribly boring display of averageness in which our averageness is a little less hilarious than theirs. I think this is a low scoring game and comes down to turnovers and the kicking game/special teams.

budbarrybob
10/1/2010, 11:33 AM
We are undefeated.
Texas lost at HOME vs UCLA...

yankee
10/1/2010, 11:36 AM
Guess who's gone? The Sooner killers. No more freaking Colt McCoy to buy time with his feet. No 7 or 8 yard scrambles on 3rd and 6 that keep drives alive. No more Jordan Shipley to throw to. No Jordan Shipley to return kicks that are backbreakers in a game.

The '08 RRS was on ESPN Classic last night...it made me sick to watch that crap. So glad those two are gone.

goingoneight
10/1/2010, 11:37 AM
Well, on the one hand, I WILL point to the FSU game as proof that we CAN play at a high level. On the other, 4/5, and Tejas is trying to run the ball now, which is OUr greatest weakness... stopping the run.

IMO, the gameplan is the same as the FSU game defensively. Corral the QB in the pocket and get physical with Tejas out wide. That way, you're leaving the game up to the linebackers to step up and start playing well. Sorry if that seems crazy, but as a Sooner fan, I expect better out of the LBs. And I'm not even a coach or anything like that. It's time for them to shed their skin and play better out there.

Offensively, I just don't see us running it well on them from the pistol, even though UCLA raped them with it. I think we do OUr best with Millard in at FB, and Murray dotting the I. KW's style is anything less than a three yard gain, you throw out the window. We cannot abandon the run just because maybe a time or two Tejas is on top the run. It's this simple... we get a ground game going, Landry and Broyles will see opportunities.

We're better right now offensively than we were a year ago, but if we can't run, we may see the darker side of LJ.

If I had to put money on a team running the ball to victory... sadly enough, I'd say UT.

If it comes down to QB play (the passing game), we have slight edge I think.

Defensively, we're just going to have to see if they can play like they did against FSU, Air Force in the first half and Cincy up to the 24-9 lead. They've got to bring that effort for four quarters or not only are we not going to beat Texas, we're not going to do much of anything the rest of the year.

Given the two teams' current states respectively, I can see why some might think OU is a favorite, but I'm not confident til I see it. Problem is I can see either team running away with the game, and I could just as easily see OU shut down or at worst shut out. I can also see us doing OUr usual fourth quarter thing and giving the game away, too. On a positive note, I can also see us getting up big and squeaking out a nailbiter again by being lackadaisical in the second half, too. Texas is the kind of team that you have to keep fighting with to win or else they walk away with your win. See: 2010 BCS Championship Game. You don't think Alabama fans and coaches were sweating bullets when Gilbert converted the two point attempt? See also: last year's RRS... even after all the bad breaks, we let them keep hanging in there and they scored a debilitating, game-icing touchdown.

In short, this half-assed effort we've seen in the fourth quarter will get us beat by somebody who's in position to do so eventually. Look no farther than Texas's overall record in tight ballgames in recent years.

Oh, and I have a new nickname for Gilbert. Given the likelihood that we'll be flagged for even so much as touching his jersey, he shall now be known as "The Sacred Cow." Colt had retired said title.

WildBlueSooner
10/1/2010, 11:44 AM
Because sexet SUCKS! duh!

BoulderSooner79
10/1/2010, 11:50 AM
Texas doesn't have Ryan Broyles.

I think the game will be a horribly boring display of averageness in which our averageness is a little less hilarious than theirs. I think this is a low scoring game and comes down to turnovers and the kicking game/special teams.

Combination of the 2 above. But I say it comes down to OUr passing game vs. their pass defense. You have to know the * motto will be "don't let Broyles beat us" while OUr goal is to "maximize Broyles' impact". That can be from direct touches or forcing double coverage and opening up other options. * will try to force LJ into mistakes by limiting his time and maybe even baiting him to throw to Broyles out of panic when Ryan looks open but has coverage rotating from the other direction. I think they will use a lot of press coverage and try to jump those smoke screens every once in a while. LJ needs to be sharp and patient. The game should be low scoring unless it becomes a comedy of turnovers like the aggie/aggie game last night.

yukonsooner
10/1/2010, 12:02 PM
I feel like I did before the FSU game. My brain is telling me to prepare for a loss, but my heart says OUr Sooners will win it for us.

setem
10/1/2010, 12:14 PM
Sheesh, you are just ants at a picnic!

STEP AWAY FROM THE LEDGE!

landrun
10/1/2010, 12:15 PM
As long as we play * in * with * officials, I will never feel comfortable about the game.

oudavid1
10/1/2010, 12:40 PM
WERE DOOMED!!!!!

BoulderSooner79
10/1/2010, 12:41 PM
WERE DOOMED!!!!!

Yep. (And so is *)

AZSOONER
10/1/2010, 12:43 PM
Has nothing to do with how good we are, it's all about texass sucking major balls this year.

oksoonerdave
10/1/2010, 12:54 PM
You guys are sure giving * a lot of love..:)

OU - 24

goingoneight
10/1/2010, 01:17 PM
We're giving them credit for not being bitch-slapped by OU anymore. In the early years, Mack's team wilted and OUrs never gave up.
Example: 2001, we lose OUr starting QB. Defense and Special Teams dominate Texas and eventually Nathan Vasher and Chris Simms puked down their legs. We scored seven points that day, yet nobody called for Mark Mangino's head.
Enter 2008 and 2009, we lose a MLB in '08 and we laid down and took it. In 2009, we lose Sam and despite an admirable effort, we couldn't close it out.

In 2002, Nate Hybl threw 4 Ints against Texas. We do that tomorrow, we'll get raped by Texas.

2000 and 2003 were years where Texas kinda limped in and just thought all was well because they were Texas, and tge starving-hungry Sooners curb-checked them. I haven't seen a Texas team play that over-confident in a long time til last weekend. Hopefully, we can make the most of it if that's the case. Because I still see Texas putting together another 10-win... ish season, which would REALLY help OUr strength of schedule as well as OUr youngsters confidence in the future.

All that said, if we tackle John Gold in the endzone after four overtones for a 2-0 victory, or we get up 42-0 and win it 45-44 in the 4th Quarter... you get it... I'll take any W.

goingoneight
10/1/2010, 01:20 PM
*overtones = overtimes... stupid iPhone. :mad:

Mad Dog Madsen
10/1/2010, 01:39 PM
Texas could be 0-4 And OU could be 5-0 and I still wouldn't feel comfortable. The records mean nothing when these two teams face each other. Texas last game against UCLA doesn't mean jack sh*t either. We just gotta let 'em play!

MyT Oklahoma
10/1/2010, 01:50 PM
Okay here goes.. last night some idiot in a minivan rammed into and knocked "El Capitan" off of his perch out on Wyatt Earp Bouelvard in Dodge City. I don't know all of the details yet.

"El Capitan" is a lifesized bronze replica of a Longhorn bull that symbolizes the wild west days of Dodge City when the Texas longhorn cattle drives fueled the town's growth.

I consider that to be an omen of what the Sooners will do to * tomorrow.

You all are entitled to your own opinions of course. ;)

BoulderSooner79
10/1/2010, 01:57 PM
You guys are sure giving * a lot of love..:)

OU - 24

Not me - I just acknowledge that neither team deserves much lovin' :O

aero
10/1/2010, 02:01 PM
This game is always an uncertainty for me. But thats what makes it so good, IMO. Even when we appear to have the better team, you just don't know how it will pan out. As tense as it can be, I like that. Makes the victory even sweeter. Everything points to this being a low scoring affair and there's not much to hang your hat on that it won't be. Hard to imagine the texass offense lighting it up. But then again, our run game hasn't exactly bowled anybody over except 1 game against a D nowhere in texass' league. Hopefully, Landry relaxes, reads, and delivers. More importantly, we need big games from the receiving corps. Broyles will get his catches but will only be effective if the other receivers contribute and big. Not so much as any of them breaking off long td's but more in that it needs to be spread around and they all CATCH and hold the ball. If that can happen and we can loosen them up a bit then maybe the O line can put together adequate run blocking.

CrimsonJim
10/1/2010, 02:06 PM
Okay here goes.. last night some idiot in a minivan rammed into and knocked "El Capitan" off of his perch out on Wyatt Earp Bouelvard in Dodge City. I don't know all of the details yet.

"El Capitan" is a lifesized bronze replica of a Longhorn bull that symbolizes the wild west days of Dodge City when the Texas longhorn cattle drives fueled the town's growth.

I consider that to be an omen of what the Sooners will do to * tomorrow.

You all are entitled to your own opinions of course. ;)

El Capitan knocked of his pedestal in Dodge City

by Jennifer Searle
KWCH 12 Eyewitness News

(DODGE CITY, Kan.) —

An 18-year-old driver crashes into a Dodge City landmark. Dodge City police say the driver reached into a bag to grab a cell phone, then drove up on El Capitan's pedastal knocking him over.

The accident happened around midnight Friday. El Capitan is a bronze statue of a Longhorn.

The accident left him with a broken horn, a broken tail and a broken ankle.

El Capitan stands at Second and W. Wyatt Earp in Dodge City.

The Kansas Sampler Foundation says the statue commemorates the 1870's and 1880's Texas cattle drives to Dodge City.

Dodge City police say several citations were issued to the 18 year old driver.

The city tells Eyewitness News that it will attempt to contact the artist who created El Capitan and ask if he's able to be fixed.

http://www.kwch.com/news/kwch-news-js-el-capitan-crash,0,6198486.story

Crucifax Autumn
10/1/2010, 02:16 PM
Awesome.

XingTheRubicon
10/1/2010, 02:22 PM

This is quality stuff

UTgradOUfan
10/1/2010, 02:31 PM
This whole thread is beyond pathetic. I keep having to check and make sure I didn't somehow drift over to whornfans.com. Get a grip, a bit perspective, blow your noses and man up. One team is going to get mudholed(the very colorful expression now popular on whornfans) tomorrow and it is not the Sooners. The whorns are putrid bad and the whorn fans know it. The Sooners are a good team that has not always played like it this year. The whorns, on the other hand are profoundly awful and have looked like it all year.
Relax, this is going to be one of those really fun games and the national TV audience will get to marvel at the oddity of seeing a stadium half full in the fourth Q. As in one half of the stadium packed and the other half gone.
If you really need to indulge if masochistic "what ifs" go ahead. If you want to feel better about tomorrow just go to whornfans.com or to my entire take/rant in the "self-loathing in austin" thread on this board.
We can play a bit better and be really, really good. They can play a whole lot better and only, at best, suck a little less.
Roll On Big Red

starclassic tama
10/1/2010, 02:34 PM
we have very little running game .

weird, i almost thought for a second murray was averaging 113 yards per game

Mad Dog Madsen
10/1/2010, 02:34 PM
UTgradOUfan... How is that even possible???

yankee
10/1/2010, 03:30 PM
weird, i almost thought for a second murray was averaging 113 yards per game

murray got like half his season yards in the first game. our running game has been mediocre to bad the last 3 games. where have you been?

BoulderSooner79
10/1/2010, 03:51 PM
This whole thread is beyond pathetic. I keep having to check and make sure I didn't somehow drift over to whornfans.com. Get a grip, a bit perspective, blow your noses and man up...

Chest bumpin', smack threads are good. I read them and enjoy them. Not all threads have to be that way and it would get very tedious if they did. I like the Xs & Os and stat threads too and yes, the self-deprecating ones can be humorous as well. Think variety :)

KantoSooner
10/1/2010, 03:53 PM
If we average 3 yards a carry and Landry completes 65+% of his throws, we'll win by a lot.
Why? I think those are kind of 'tipping points' (and, no, for those who will want to obcess, I have not analyzed this numerically - so free shots. But I'll bet you I'm closer to right than to wrong) and that if OU achieves that decent but modest degree of success we break Texas overall. (In this assumption is ruling out abnormal levels of turnovers - both teams just doing what they've been doing in that regard).
And I think both those tipping points are very doable for us, so I'm pretty confident.

stoopified
10/1/2010, 04:21 PM
murray got like half his season yards in the first game. our running game has been mediocre to bad the last 3 games. where have you been?Intelligent UT grad? Naw,you're right,that would be an oxymoron. :)

oumartin
10/1/2010, 04:43 PM
i hear texas is going to try to go back to the spread

AlbqSooner
10/1/2010, 04:43 PM
Relax People. I am wearing my lucky OU golf shirt tomorrow.

Seriously, whorn fans come into this game a lot like Pokie State fans. Pounding their chests and showing much bravado. BUT, when one, maybe two, things go bad they will have the "Oh no, here it comes" reaction. Their players will pick up on that. Although we have had only the FSU game where we looked really good, the whorns have not had a game that looked like they had it all together.

cjames317
10/1/2010, 04:47 PM
How's this?

What did one saggy boob say to the other?

Greg, are we nuts?

yankee
10/1/2010, 04:47 PM
i hear texas is going to try to go back to the spread

that would scare me.

btb916
10/1/2010, 04:53 PM
that would scare me.

You're afraid of Gilbert throwing two or three picks?

yankee
10/1/2010, 05:06 PM
You're afraid of Gilbert throwing two or three picks?

gilbert's playing in the wrong offense. going back to the spread, where he belongs, makes things dicey. now, some things to consider: he's still a sophomore suck. #1 WR Mike Davis is out for the game. the rest of the offense would need to adjust to the spread.

and this is even if they actually ADOPT the spread for this game. as far as i know, it's just one guy who heard something.

MR2-Sooner86
10/1/2010, 05:14 PM
In 2002, Nate Hybl threw 4 Ints against Texas. We do that tomorrow, we'll get raped by Texas.

Yeah but Q had, what, close to 250 yards rushing? I'd love to have Murray get that many yards rushing tomorrow.

yankee
10/1/2010, 05:16 PM
Yeah but Q had, what, close to 250 yards rushing? I'd love to have Murray get that many yards rushing tomorrow.

if murray gets 250 yards rushing we win 100-2.

if he gets close to 100, we win by 21+.

one can dream, right?

oumartin
10/1/2010, 05:23 PM
gilbert's playing in the wrong offense. going back to the spread, where he belongs, makes things dicey. now, some things to consider: he's still a sophomore suck. #1 WR Mike Davis is out for the game. the rest of the offense would need to adjust to the spread.

and this is even if they actually ADOPT the spread for this game. as far as i know, it's just one guy who heard something.

I heard traber say it on the radio. It's gospel bro

yankee
10/1/2010, 05:25 PM
I heard traber say it on the radio. It's gospel bro

lol jim traber lol

OU_Sooners75
10/1/2010, 05:26 PM
give me some solid reasons to be optimistic about tomorrow. No matter how hard I try, if you put a gun to my head right now I would have to pick the whorns.
Our defense hasn't stopped anyone, we have very little running game and our kicking is very suspect to say the least. Please don't point to the FSU game because that requires one to ignore 75% of our games thus far in which we were sub par.

I'm not trying to be negative but I just can't shake the bad feeling I have about tomorrow and I want something positive to sink my teeth into other than wishful thinking.

Here are a few, and I am sure some have been pointed out, if not all of them...

1. Texas has played a far worse schedule and has looked just as bad if not worse.

2. Texas has absolutely no run game. We have a run game but it is not consistent, but when we have needed to run the ball well, we did it.

3. OU may not be blowing teams out, sans FSU, but they are winning...these close games only help give our youth the confidence that they can win the close hard games. I am really starting to think our players are only playing at the level of our competition.

4. We have been spoiled with blow outs, yet losing close games. We are winning those close games this year.

5. Because this is OU and we win. That is what we do best!

tooslow
10/1/2010, 05:30 PM
Here's why you should believe..... Because every team we've played is definitely a top 25 team and much better than the nation gives them credit for. :D

Or so says alot of the kool aid drinkers around here. lol

I still can't believe Utah State(????!!!) almost beat us at home. I guess nobody else knows they are 1-4 or something like that.

Seriously though..... We win tomorrow by 24. :)

Crucifax Autumn
10/1/2010, 05:36 PM
Because I ****ing said so!

OU_Sooners75
10/1/2010, 05:40 PM
Here's why you should believe..... Because every team we've played is definitely a top 25 team and much better than the nation gives them credit for. :D

I still can't believe Utah State(????!!!) almost beat us at home. I guess nobody else knows they are 1-4 or something like that.

Hey noob, when did Utah State almost beat OU?

They lost by seven and never once had the lead.

Was it closer than what we wanted it to be, or should have been? Yes, but OU was never really in jeopardy of losing that game.

olevetonahill
10/1/2010, 05:41 PM
Cause were ****ing SOONERS
Do you Jackwagons need some counseling?
uaFy0x_Uixo

Okie35
10/1/2010, 05:43 PM

I've felt the same way for the past few years but this year i feel a bit more confident. I think we'll win(by ten or less), most of the time it never comes down to the defense it comes down to turnovers and the run game.

Okie35
10/1/2010, 05:45 PM

We do, but that was the first game w/ our young team, Air Force and FSU are 3-1 now, their only losses... well you know.

sendbaht
10/1/2010, 07:33 PM
ahhhh, it's our turn to win? Look this game is OUrs. You will be able to relax and watch a game with us OUt in front all the way. Put the gun down, grab a beer and watch the Sooners run all over the place.

texas is so trying not to make mistakes they make mistakes all day. So trying not to fumble that that's as all they do.

Yes, we won OUr games close but they were BIG games. This is texas first BIG game....they blow it big time. We win BIG but do not get the credit we should because pastel uniform blue U C L A the "crapy team" (ESPN) did the same thing. But, I do not care we won and I am so happy. To see texas lose 3 in a roll will be the highlight of the year football wise.

Okie35
10/1/2010, 07:55 PM
ahhhh, it's our turn to win? Look this game is OUrs. You will be able to relax and watch a game with us OUt in front all the way. Put the gun down, grab a beer and watch the Sooners run all over the place.

texas is so trying not to make mistakes they make mistakes all day. So trying not to fumble that that's as all they do.

Yes, we won OUr games close but they were BIG games. This is texas first BIG game....they blow it big time. We win BIG but do not get the credit we should because pastel uniform blue U C L A the "crapy team" (ESPN) did the same thing. But, I do not care we won and I am so happy. To see texas lose 3 in a role will be the highlight of the year football wise.

Tech was their first big game but they should've lost. If they lost 3 in a row it would be hilarious.

MyT Oklahoma
10/1/2010, 08:06 PM
There are some great opinions of what will happen tomorrow and why.. yet I still prefer to consider what happened to "El Capitan" today to be exactly what the Sooners will to to * tomorrow.

http://www.dodgeglobe.com/breaking/x1305345781/El-Capitan-Hit-Late-Last-Night

Okie35
10/1/2010, 08:08 PM
There are some great opinions of what will happen tomorrow and why.. yet I still prefer to consider what happened to "El Capitan" today to be exactly what the Sooners will to to * tomorrow.

http://www.dodgeglobe.com/breaking/x1305345781/El-Capitan-Hit-Late-Last-Night

Haha I remember that statue.

Lott's Bandana
10/1/2010, 08:29 PM
Mack REQUIRES an exceptional QB to overcome his coaching deficiencies. Grape is not that QB yet.

Prepare for the old "bend but don't break" defensive scheme that makes us all go gray but has somehow led us to a 6-2 pwn in championships.

27-13 and on to play Bye!

goingoneight
10/1/2010, 08:47 PM
*6-1

delhalew
10/1/2010, 09:18 PM
Thrice I post thee!
NSFW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHeXm7t-aAY