PDA

View Full Version : Any of you freaks live close to Bakersfield?

oumartin
9/29/2010, 09:25 PM
Flying out there tomorrow to look at a job but Bakersfield doesn't look like a very desireable place to live. Are there any nice small towns close. Preferably west of Bakersfield.

Soonerus
9/29/2010, 09:31 PM
Freaks are not allowed on SF...

sooner ngintunr
9/29/2010, 09:44 PM
Nipomo is OK. Maybe Pismo?;)

Oildale?:texan:

oumartin
9/29/2010, 09:49 PM
I was looking at rosedale or shafter.

Wishboned
9/29/2010, 09:54 PM
Stay away from Porterville.

Leroy Lizard
9/29/2010, 10:00 PM
I grew up in Oildale. Heh.

There is really nothing there. Pismo and Nipomo are not easy commutes. Two hours of winding, hilly road. (I think the fog locks the road down once awhile too, and there is no other way to get to Bakersfield without at least a four hour drive.

And when was Nipomo ever nice? (Pismo is cool, but bloody expensive.)

Taft is an old oil town. It used to be like Oildale, but I imagine it is mostly Hispanic now. Haven't been there for over 30 years.

Tehachapi is pretty nice if you can handle the snow. Main highway gets closed on occasion in the winter, however. Summers are much nicer than in the valley, which is stifling hot. If it was up to me... Tehachapi.

Any further east and you're in the Mojave Desert and OH MY GOD YOU DON'T WANT TO LIVE THERE.

oumartin
9/29/2010, 10:02 PM
I would have to live within an easy commute to Mckittrick

yep, I dent wanna mention hispanics but they say oildale is loaded with em. NTTAWWT

Leroy Lizard
9/29/2010, 10:15 PM
To be honest, there really isn't any nice place to live in the entire Central Valley, at least below Sacramento. Tehachapi is about a 1.5 hour commute.

If it was me, I would just try to find an upscale neighborhood in Bakersfield.

If you're going out there, have dinner at Buck Owen's place (http://www.buckowens.com/index2.html) while listening to a live country act. You might be able to see David Allen Coe while downing a steak. (Not expensive either.)

I see that X is playing there on Dec. 27th. The punk group????

Leroy Lizard
9/29/2010, 10:17 PM
BTW, Lost Hills is misnamed. It isn't lost; no one's looking.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/29/2010, 10:39 PM
I was talking to my friend Dwight... says Bakersfield has a great sound....

So Buck up!

SanJoaquinSooner
9/29/2010, 10:59 PM
I would have to live within an easy commute to Mckittrick

yep, I dent wanna mention hispanics but they say oildale is loaded with em. NTTAWWT

Kern County is in the top 5 in the nation in agricultural output, so yes there are lots of Latinos.

I don't think Oildale is loaded however.

My sister in law and her husband live in Tehachapi. She commutes to Cal State Bakersfield and her husband is a prison guard. Lizard, you say 1.5 hour commute? I think it's under an hour one way. Are you thinking 1.5 hours round trip?

The only good reason one lives in the San Joaquin Valley is because of a job you like. If this is a step up the professional ladder, then your trip out might be worth it. If you are concerned about the Latino count, stay home.

Leroy Lizard
9/29/2010, 11:39 PM
Kern County is in the top 5 in the nation in agricultural output, so yes there are lots of Latinos.

My sister in law and her husband live in Tehachapi. She commutes to Cal State Bakersfield and her husband is a prison guard. Lizard, you say 1.5 hour commute? I think it's under an hour one way. Are you thinking 1.5 hours round trip?

The only good reason one lives in the San Joaquin Valley is because of a job you like. If this is a step up the professional ladder, then your trip out might be worth it. If you are concerned about the Latino count, stay home.

The commute was to McKittrick.

Oildale is almost all white and the redneck capital of California.

Collier11
9/29/2010, 11:46 PM
I was looking at rosedale or shafter.

you said Shaft :D

SanJoaquinSooner
9/29/2010, 11:49 PM
The commute was to McKittrick.

Oildale is almost all white and the redneck capital of California.

Got it. Then I agree with you, find a nice neighborhood in Bakersfield.

Collier11
9/29/2010, 11:51 PM
SJS will mow your yard for you :D

Leroy Lizard
9/30/2010, 12:11 AM
Got it. Then I agree with you, find a nice neighborhood in Bakersfield.

What's wrong with Oildale? I meant "Redneck Capital" as a compliment.

Frozen Sooner
9/30/2010, 12:22 AM
Stay away from Porterville.

My Aunt lives there. Seconded. It's a miserable hellhole.

AlbqSooner
9/30/2010, 05:52 AM
Bakersfield is where Merel Haggard got arrested for jimmying the back door and breaking into a 24 hour restaurant.

texaspokieokie
9/30/2010, 08:13 AM
Merle was a native of the bakersfield area, his folks were "okies from muskogee" or @ least that general area.

tehachapi seems like a good choice to me. was there, a few years ago,
took my bro-in-law to bakersfield airport from ridgecrest.

i think tehachapi is up 3 to 4000 ft, so somewhat cooler.

Leroy Lizard
9/30/2010, 09:40 AM
You can get heavy snowfall in Tehachapi during the winter. You have to be willing to put up with that. But it's the nicest place to live in that region.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/30/2010, 10:59 AM
hell hole...the whole area...

Leroy Lizard
9/30/2010, 04:23 PM
Think: Midland/Odessa.

TUSooner
9/30/2010, 07:27 PM
Bakersfield is where Merel Haggard got arrested for jimmying the back door and breaking into a 24 hour restaurant.
so he was arrested for being stupid ?

If it's open 24/7..... :rolleyes:

texaspokieokie
10/1/2010, 06:39 AM

My sister & bro-in-law lived in kern county for over 50 yrs. on the desert side.

AlbqSooner
10/1/2010, 06:50 AM

Pretty much. Also, he is not from Muskogee. He is from Checotah. That didn't rhyme, so those of us who were raised in Muskogee got burdened with the song.

Wishboned
10/1/2010, 07:43 AM
My Aunt lives there. Seconded. It's a miserable hellhole.

My aunt lives there too.

Are we related Mike?

Leroy Lizard
10/1/2010, 11:49 AM

Pretty much.

Once he broke in he found the kitchen galley staring at him wondering WTF? So the story goes.

Leroy Lizard
10/1/2010, 11:50 AM
My sister & bro-in-law lived in kern county for over 50 yrs. on the desert side.

And....?

Frozen Sooner
10/1/2010, 11:58 AM
My aunt lives there too.

Are we related Mike?

I don't think so...I don't have any first cousins on that side of the family. Crazy coincidence though.

OklaPony
10/1/2010, 12:36 PM
There's lots and lots of displaced Okies and descendants of the same out there, that's for sure. I know I've got several dead relatives in the area as a result of the 30's migration. My cousin lived in Bakersfield for a few years from about 2001-2004 and thought the vibe was somewhat similar to Oklahoma. I visited a few times but didn't spend a lot of time there. I did enjoy the drive through Tehachapi, though... cool lookin' place.

oumartin
10/1/2010, 03:27 PM
I spent my morning touring Rosedale. I absolutely love Rosedale. Lots of new homes in foreclosure with good prices on them!
Rosedale is very clean and well maintained with lots of shopping very close by. They shut down the power plant and the refinery so the job I went for had over 400 applicants and I am down to the last 3.
I dont' know if it would be worth the move but I am intriqued to say the least.

texaspokieokie
10/1/2010, 09:51 PM
Merle was a native of the bakersfield area, his folks were "okies from muskogee" or @ least that general area.

tehachapi seems like a good choice to me. was there, a few years ago,
took my bro-in-law to bakersfield airport from ridgecrest.

i think tehachapi is up 3 to 4000 ft, so somewhat cooler.

that's what i said about "merle". note i said "general area".

texaspokieokie
10/1/2010, 09:53 PM
for a coincidence, my Mother was born in Muskogee & died in bakersfield.
or maybe that's irony.

Leroy Lizard
10/1/2010, 11:33 PM
I spent my morning touring Rosedale. I absolutely love Rosedale. Lots of new homes in foreclosure with good prices on them!
Rosedale is very clean and well maintained with lots of shopping very close by. They shut down the power plant and the refinery so the job I went for had over 400 applicants and I am down to the last 3.
I dont' know if it would be worth the move but I am intriqued to say the least.

Never been to Rosedale, but wiki has its average income at around $70,000. That is astronomical for the Central Valley. So maybe that's the place to be.

Of course, you are still living in the Valley with bad air quality, weather, and crime. :(