PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 OK's Round Robin Schedule

HBick
9/29/2010, 08:45 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/09/29/big.12.schedule.ap/index.html

DALLAS (AP) -- Get ready for a look at the Big 12's new round-robin football schedule.

League athletic directors on Wednesday approved a nine-game conference schedule that will pit every team against the other every season, with no need for a championship game.

Conference spokesman Bob Burda said future schedules will be released Thursday.

The league has been split into North and South divisions, with six teams in each side and some clubs playing only every other year.

When Colorado (Pac-10) and Nebraska (Big Ten) decided to leave, conference commissioner Dan Beebe began pushing for the new format.

sooner59
9/29/2010, 09:00 PM
Not having a Big 12 CG anymore will probably hurt us somehow. It seemed to help us a time or two before, so I wouldn't doubt it hurting us now.

JLEW1818
9/29/2010, 09:02 PM
i guess i don't understand the harm of adding 2 more teams.

Collier11
9/29/2010, 09:04 PM
I think eventually they will but they want to make sure they are the "right" teams. I have heard that Bedlam and some other conference games will be moved to that conf champ weekend so we arent sitting around like the Big Ten always used to be

OU_PhD
9/29/2010, 10:07 PM
Scuttle butt is that Bedlam will be moved to Championship weekend

Crucifax Autumn
9/29/2010, 10:10 PM
Screw this. Go out and get more teams already and use that as an excuse to realign the conference.

JLEW1818
9/29/2010, 10:11 PM
i really don't care if Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are in the same division. i don't care at all.

sooner ngintunr
9/29/2010, 10:13 PM
Screw this. Go out and get more teams already and use that as an excuse to realign the conference.

Just make sure that they are the right two teams.

I don't mind the round robin. For now at least.

Crucifax Autumn
9/29/2010, 10:17 PM
It worries me to lose it since it's what's pushed us into the BCS a few times.

JLEW1818
9/29/2010, 10:17 PM
i understand that most don't want another texas team.

but TCU would jump on in a heart beat. They would only make the conference better. And it's not a far drive from Norman.

CowboyMRW
9/29/2010, 10:26 PM
Have any of yall heard that our game will be in Stillwater again next year. That seems to be a rampant rumor going around. 2 straight in Stillwater

JLEW1818
9/29/2010, 10:27 PM
2 easy wins too.

:D

kevpks
9/29/2010, 10:47 PM
Scuttle butt is that OU-OSU will be moved to Championship weekend

OSU will finally get to play a game during championship weekend. Good for them.

Mr. Nuke
9/29/2010, 10:57 PM
i guess i don't understand the harm of adding 2 more teams.
It doesn't work out financially.

Okie35
9/29/2010, 11:01 PM

Kind of depends on the two teams.

Mr. Nuke
9/29/2010, 11:05 PM
Kind of depends on the two teams.
Which two teams are you going to get that bring in that equal or surpass the loss of Nebraska and Colorado? Through 2012 (and likely 2016) the conference is in good shape with two less mouths to feed and an equal payout from ABC, ESPN, and FSN. It doesn't really make sense to add anyone during that time period. After that :pop:.

Collier11
9/29/2010, 11:06 PM

It doesnt, really? Since 2001, Nebraska has been relevant in football once and relevant in any other sports a grand total of once or twice I would imagine. Colorado was never relevant unless you consider getting beat by 40 or more in 2 diff conf title games...although they did have the one huge upset of ut, lol.

I think TCU is a must and honestly, why not add Boise? Put them in the North

Collier11
9/29/2010, 11:07 PM
and anyone who thinks that football success isnt the only thing that matters, you are wrong so lets just end that discussion right now.

soonerinkaty
9/29/2010, 11:11 PM
The North is about to get boned. Sic 'Em will like the new conference.

soonerinkaty
9/29/2010, 11:11 PM
It doesnt, really? Since 2001, Nebraska has been relevant in football once and relevant in any other sports a grand total of once or twice I would imagine. Colorado was never relevant unless you consider getting beat by 40 or more in 2 diff conf title games...although they did have the one huge upset of ut, lol.

This does nothing money-wise.

Collier11
9/29/2010, 11:15 PM
Well, Boise brings a national flavor that isnt likely to go away soon, you see those ratings for Boise vs Va Tech? TCU strengthens the Texas market. Seriously, there arent many teams we could logically bring in that would bring us a huge new market, none that I can think of anyway?

Mr. Nuke
9/29/2010, 11:17 PM
It doesnt, really? Since 2001, Nebraska has been relevant in football once and relevant in any other sports a grand total of once or twice I would imagine.

This really has nothing to do with my comments about expanding to 12 again not making financial sense for the Big XII.

Colorado was never relevant unless you consider getting beat by 40 or more in 2 diff conf title games...although they did have the one huge upset of ut, lol.

No but it did have one of the only major media markets outside of Texas for the conference.

Financially though what does a TCU add? The Big XII has Texas pretty much locked down as is.

and anyone who thinks that football success isnt the only thing that matters, you are wrong so lets just end that discussion right now.
I agree, See Boise State.....

The last annual Big XII payout was $139 million. Subtract out about $10 million for the loss of a football title game. That means that any new team to the league would need to add approximately $12.9 million in economic value. Their aren't that many realistic targets out there that fit the bill.

Collier11
9/29/2010, 11:20 PM
Agreed to an extent but with the current climate of cfb, we probably need to add teams in order to get that title game back, as much as I dislike it. We can try for Arkansas but probably not gonna happen. We can try for Notre Dame, not gonna happen. I think Boise would bring a national audience, atleast for the next 5-10 years until the luster wears off...I really dont know who else we could bring? Ideas?

Crucifax Autumn
9/29/2010, 11:22 PM
Big market or not, people in Colorado don't watch Colorado games anyway.

soonerinkaty
9/29/2010, 11:22 PM
BYU and Nevada

Go east/west instead of north/south

Collier11
9/29/2010, 11:25 PM
Nevada, meh...BYU would be intriguing to an extent. I think BYU and TCU would be good, I think we should take a shot at Boise honestly and I think they would agree. Boise and BYU I can live with

soonerinkaty
9/29/2010, 11:27 PM
I think Boise and TCU need to be left out of the conversation. Boise is **** in everything except football (including academics) and screw adding another texas school..

soonerinkaty
9/29/2010, 11:28 PM
Man, I wish New Mexico didn't suck ***.

Collier11
9/29/2010, 11:29 PM
You bring in Boise you bring in a legit top 10 program of the last 5 years and #1 winning program of the last decade, that may not replace Nebraska's history and tradition but it certainly replaces their relevancy

Now, we could be really sheisty and go after the Arizona schools :D

soonerinkaty
9/29/2010, 11:31 PM
I like the Arizona idea...Show enough $$$ and I wonder if they want to hop fence.

Collier11
9/29/2010, 11:34 PM
I think they would consider, most def

soonerinkaty
9/29/2010, 11:35 PM
What would we rename it, The New Southwest Conference?

NSC?

soonerinkaty
9/29/2010, 11:35 PM
This is so sexy, I may go create this conference in NCAA11.

setem
9/29/2010, 11:38 PM
I would like to add Arkansas but they will never leave the SEC so no way on that one. BYU is the new Notre Dame so adding them would bring is a ton of money and a tone of fans. They have fans all over the world. If you are Mormon you are a BYU fan. Nevada might not be a bad addition, it would help them out and who knows what kind of financial backing they(legal or otherwise)!!!!

Mr. Nuke
9/29/2010, 11:39 PM
I like the Arizona idea...Show enough $$$ and I wonder if they want to hop fence.
Where is the $$$ coming from though. The Big XII admittedly has a better contract right now, but the Pac-10 is about to get the added $$$ from a CCG. They also have Larry Scott and Kevin Weiburg working on a network and their new TV contract. I have more faith in Scott than I do Beebe to negotiate a better deal.

ouwasp
9/29/2010, 11:40 PM
what about AFA? Would they "add" what Colorado took?

Collier11
9/29/2010, 11:41 PM
BOONE PICKENS!!!!

? :D

Mr. Nuke
9/29/2010, 11:41 PM
BYU is the new Notre Dame so adding them would bring is a ton of money and a tone of fans.
Not necessarily. They were just in a conference that averaged a payout of $1.7 million per team from television annually. It is pretty easy to see why they went independent as they likely can make more than that with an ESPN deal and their Mormon network (BYUTV) on their own. That being said $2 million to $11 million is a pretty large gap to fill.

Collier11
9/29/2010, 11:43 PM
I wish we could just send okie state to the mountain west or C-usa and add someone else in, im so sick of their dumbazzes :D

soonerinkaty
9/29/2010, 11:49 PM
Where is the $$$ coming from though. The Big XII admittedly has a better contract right now, but the Pac-10 is about to get the added $$$ from a CCG. They also have Larry Scott and Kevin Weiburg working on a network and their new TV contract. I have more faith in Scott than I do Beebe to negotiate a better deal.

From a new network contract with ESPN/NBC/ABC/Comedy Central, etc. Hell I don't care who but we need a network.

Collier11
9/29/2010, 11:51 PM
Spice?

GottaHavePride
9/29/2010, 11:52 PM
Man, I wish we could explain to people the difference between a team winning football games and a team's financial relevance to a conference in relation to TV audience, name recognition, and advertising dollars.

HBick
9/30/2010, 12:24 AM
Obviously, BYU is an attractive option but their personal television station extends all over the country through satellite and cable. If the Big XII had been proactive and tried to get them after Nebraska and CU jumped ship, maybe a deal could of been worked out where they could play their big games on ABC/ESPN and keep the ones that the rest of CFB doesn't care about on their own network.

But it's been said by many in this thread and in numerous ones all over the board for the past few months.

THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS THE TELEVISION FOOTPRINT

CU is at least a top academic school, Utah anyone?

Nebbish - Same boat as OU (although OU doesn't have the AAU rating in academics, confusing yet?), not a giant television market, although OU does bring lots of viewers in DFW, but both OU and Nebbish have tradition, and that can help make up for lack of people in a given market.

TCU - Texas television market which Big XII already controls and the only reason why the Big XII is able to get money outside of St. Louis and Kansas City. Uterus, Aggie and Sand Aggie have lots of alum polluting the state and they want to watch their school, fine by me.

Boise - Idaho is not a good television market, probably won't be for a LONG time, also they have poor academics (even by SEC standards) and are pitiful in the rest of their sports.

Obviously, if we could cherry pick schools, we would of kept the Big XII intact, but since it's not happening, the only school that I think might even consider leaving their current conference (if enough money was thrown their way) is Arkansas.

Arkansas - not a huge television market, but the state is one of the fastest growing in the country, especially with all the oil shale there. They obviously have old ties (Southwest Conference), and the travel schedule they do for all sports is brutal. Arkansas travels further in the SEC than any other school.

Now you have the issue of who would take the 12th spot, personally I'd push for LSU, but a more realistic 12th filler in this scenario would be TCU, unless they were desperate and went after Colorado State to tap into the Denver television market again (which will not happen).

Also look for Mizzou to jump as soon as they get the invite to the Big 10, probably after the golden domers in Southbend are forced to join a conference to stay relevant. You think any of the major conferences are going to keep allowing ND to retain an auto bid if they go undefeated?

All speculation obviously, but I see the Big XII failing in the long run and the teams being divided up into a total of 4 super conferences which allow a nice little playoff system to be developed.

Texas ends up the Pac-10, A&M to the SEC, OU if they can get away from step sister in the SEC, Mizzou to Big 10. But it doesn't matter, it's all speculation

PLaw
9/30/2010, 01:07 AM

but TCU would jump on in a heart beat. They would only make the conference better. And it's not a far drive from Norman.

There are a bunch of teams that would jump on a Big 12 invite. But this is purely what can you do for the conference, not what can the conference do for you. It all about TV sets.

TCU is one head coaching change away from being no better than Baylor.

We may be pining for the day that the PAC-16 went down in orange flames.

BOOMER

Crucifax Autumn
9/30/2010, 01:14 AM
Spice?

http://magisterrex.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/blogduneiicat.jpg

Mississippi Sooner
9/30/2010, 03:51 AM
North Dakota State has done pretty good against the Big XII North this year. :pop:

soonervegas
9/30/2010, 08:10 AM
I think BYU is a given.

What about West Virginia?

Jboozer
9/30/2010, 08:35 AM
The contracts are already signed, the money is coming in, If Neb. and Colo. decide to leave, then they forgo their allotment of the money. That means that each team makes more money. However, I do thing that it will hurt us in negotiating the next deal, without a conference CG I think some of the luster is gone, and we sink in terms of national appeal. I hope not, but we'll see, why I understand why the big 12 isn't bringing in new teams now, I wonder if it will hurt us in the future more than it helps us in the now....

TexasLidig8r
9/30/2010, 08:55 AM
Collier.. first.. STOP WITH THE TCU CRAP!! Ain't gonna happen.

Yes... they have a nice little program right now, but... they can't even sell out their crappy little 45,000 seat stadium. They don't have the alumni base that has any huge corporate schwing and Texas has the television market in the DFW area and North Texas locked down. TCU's other athletic teams are Baylor bad (with the exception of their basebore team this past year).

TCU brings nothing financially.

Does Ou want to give up a couple of million dollars to TCU without the potential of added financial increases down the road?

I believe there are only 10 teams now... and 10 teams will remain until the television contracts expire of the next round of expansion talks begin in earnest. Meanwhile, in the next few years, the Longhorn Network will be up and operating and pulling in substantial revenue and don't think for a second that Ou isn't looking at the same thing! This would allow Texas and ou (with little brothers Okie Lite and sand aggy) to go to the Pac 12 if that is the path they choose. And in all likelihood, they will since the Pac 12 will allow schools to have their own networks.

IF, and I believe it's a HUGE "IF" the Big XII is to stay together, financially, it makes sense to bring 2 teams in. Those 2 teams would be.. BYU and Notre Dame. Ok, first why BYU? They have their own television network up and operating, they have the facilities, they have the nationwide audience. They would jump at the chance especially since their non-football programs will be festering in the WCC. (that is certainly a short term solution for them).

Then, there's the issue of Notre Dame. Most believe there is not chance Notre Dame would go anywhere but the Big 10/11/whatever. Not so fast. the Big Whatever Conference will NOT allow Notre Dame to have their own TV network. Don't think for a second that Notre Dame isn't exploring the option of their own network right now. NBC pays them far less than what they would receive from a combination of conference television rights and what their own network would bring in. AND, don't forget the BCS contracts expire after 2015? Suppose enough pressure was put on the BCS by major conferences to either revoke and seriously cut back on the exemption allotted to Notre Dame. The Irish could be faced with the decision of maintaining their independence or being included in the BCS. Travel is not an issue with Notre Dame since their non football athletic teams travel from Wisconsin to Florida to play conference games. The Big 12 could posture itself as the best fit for Notre Dame.... i.e., Texas financially is the lynch pin in the south, you are the heavyweight in the north, you keep you own network and make a lot more money.

Interesting times await.

soonervegas
9/30/2010, 09:23 AM
TexasLidig8r -

I read somewhere that Dodds wants ND to join the Big12 in all other sports except football in the hopes that someday they will relent on football too. Have you heard that?

TexasLidig8r
9/30/2010, 09:25 AM
TexasLidig8r -

I read somewhere that Dodds wants ND to join the Big12 in all other sports except football in the hopes that someday they will relent on football too. Have you heard that?

I have not heard that.

On the one hand, it would not make sense financially since Notre Dame's other sports are pedestrian at best and dont' bring much to the table.

On the other hand, the logic of that is sound even though it hasn't worked out that way for the Big East.

sooner ngintunr
9/30/2010, 11:05 AM
Yep.

Notre Dame and BYU.

Lid beat me to it.

Landthief 1972
9/30/2010, 11:11 AM
why not add Boise? Put them in the North

And have to stare at that God-awful field every year when watching Big XII games? I'd prefer to keep my eye sight. That field single-handedly causes more seizures, blindness and shortens the lifespan of any tv screen that displays it for more than 10 seconds.

swardboy
9/30/2010, 11:30 AM
The thing about TCU is that we get additional exposure to the Texas recruiting fields....in the DFW area to boot.

goingoneight
9/30/2010, 11:30 AM
People here think officiating is crooked because of UT, wait til Notre Dame's deep pockets come to town. We'll need to pass out a roll of Reynolds wrap at every game, for every team.

BoulderSooner79
9/30/2010, 12:12 PM
Not having a CCG has not hurt 'SC or tOSU from getting to the title game the last 8 years or so. Maybe the round robin hurt them because they would eventually fall to some 3+ TD underdog, but that could happen regardless. Upsets in the CCG have definitely kept conferences from getting a spot, but of course, that could never happen to OU. :). Like anything else, it's a tradeoff and not having a CCG or a couple of years could burn us or be our advantage.

Spritekid
9/30/2010, 12:27 PM

Sorry but TCU is good but they don't bring anything to the table. Maybe 30,000 fans doesn't really help the conference.

jkjsooner
9/30/2010, 12:50 PM

It would improve the conference temporarily but for how long?

Had TCU been invited instead of Baylor when the Big 12 initially formed, I'm not so sure they wouldn't be fighting for the 5th spot in the B12 South year after year.

TCU built up their program and recruiting by winning a ton of games - something that might not have happened in the Big 12.

jkjsooner
9/30/2010, 12:52 PM
Not having a Big 12 CG anymore will probably hurt us somehow. It seemed to help us a time or two before, so I wouldn't doubt it hurting us now.

I agree but we might have won the national title in 2003 had it not been for the CCG. White got hurt in that game and he was nowhere near 100% in the Sugar Bowl. LSU would have had a home field advantage either way and our receivers might have still had trouble getting open but the way we were playing I don't doubt that we would have beaten LSU by a couple of TD's - much more on a neutral field.

jkjsooner
9/30/2010, 01:07 PM
I say we just break the whole thing up. Let's form a new conference:

Texas
Oklahoma
A&M
LSU
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Tennessee
Nebraska
Florida St.
Miami
Georgia

Call it the new south conference or something. You would render pretty much every other team in the region as meaningless and the money would be flowing like crazy. It would be brutal but it would be more like the NFL in that you wouldn't expect to win 10+ games every year.

MeMyself&Me
9/30/2010, 01:13 PM
I think Notre Dame is the only thing that could save the Big 12 down the road. Otherwise, it's about done. While I do think Notre Dame is a longshot, it does look like ND does stand to make more money in the Big 12 than they would in their natural spot in the Big 10. But it doesn't seem that Notre Dame always does the financially sound thing.

As far as BYU goes, I like that addition with ND BUT ND is the much bigger fish. I'd say to get Notre Dame you tell ND that they can bring with them whoever they want which would likely be someone in the east north east... not BYU.

BoulderSooner79
9/30/2010, 01:28 PM
I agree but we might have won the national title in 2003 had it not been for the CCG. White got hurt in that game and he was nowhere near 100% in the Sugar Bowl. LSU would have had a home field advantage either way and our receivers might have still had trouble getting open but the way we were playing I don't doubt that we would have beaten LSU by a couple of TD's - much more on a neutral field.

If we repeated '03 today, we wouldn't make the title game. They changed the formula such that a loser of the CCG would be highly unlikely to move on. And if they got smoked - no way. But if we repeated '03 next year in a round-robin format, we would be a title game lock regardless of other CCGs. Lack of CCG can hurt or help, I can't say which is more likely.

SicEmBaylor
10/1/2010, 04:36 AM
It would improve the conference temporarily but for how long?

Had TCU been invited instead of Baylor when the Big 12 initially formed, I'm not so sure they wouldn't be fighting for the 5th spot in the B12 South year after year.

TCU built up their program and recruiting by winning a ton of games - something that might not have happened in the Big 12.

PRECISELY right. The fact is, when the Big 12 was formed we were unquestionably the 3rd best team in the SWC and much better than TCU. We, not TCU, were the logical choice. Hell, when the Big XII was formed we had a winning record even against Tech.

Baylor's problems in football go back to the very formation of the Big XII. The real problem is that we had a university President that didn't understand the sort of resources that would be required to play in the Big XII and tried for way too long to get by as if we were still in the SWC. Our administration, until the current President in fact, never seemed to really understand the importance of athletics in promoting a university. Basically, ineptitude from the President to the Board of Regents to the Athletic Director conspired against our success. Throw into that the fact that we were hiring coaches based on their character rather than their coaching ability and you have a real recipe for clusterf*** failure.

Now, having said all that, we now have a university President that is visibly working his *** off to establish better relations with alumni and getting them to support the football program as well as reaching out to the broader central-Texas community. In short, we have a President who understands athletics and everything that is required to compete. Even better, we have a coach who can actually coach football.

You people are crazy with your TCU talk. Do you realize that NOBODY goes to their games? They have a successful winning program and you can see the tumbleweed in their stadium. Now, I'm not saying our attendance has been great over the years but it's getting much better and when we do well we have good turnout. As for their media market, nobody in FTW gives two-flying ****s about TCU. And what the hell have they contributed in other sports? Our overall athletic program is FAR FAR superior to theirs not to mention the quality of our facilities. Yes they have had some success in football, but they haven't had to play OU, UT, Tech, and the dueling Ags EVERY single season with some Nebraskas and Missouris thrown on their schedule every other year or so.

stoopified
10/1/2010, 09:04 AM
Have any of yall heard that our game will be in Stillwater again next year. That seems to be a rampant rumor going around. 2 straight in Stillwater
That part bites and I fail to see the reasoning.