PDA

View Full Version : If we have another losing season...

w0lfe
9/29/2010, 11:52 AM
Would it be the final straw with capel? What if we are a positive record 3-5 games. Would that be considered a really great coaching job due to all the vacancies from last season?

WildBlueSooner
9/29/2010, 01:23 PM
I find it very tough to gauge on what will happen to Capel...It is all going to depend on the behind the scenes relationships between him and the athletic department. From my perspective one could look at a losing season or even a slightly above .500 season in a couple different ways:

1: Capel ended up with one bad recruiting class that really hurt the program. He learned some valuable lessons that he, as a young coach, will use to better himself and his teams. Although we had a rough year, we are only one year removed from the fiasco that was Tiny Gallon and Co.

On the other hand one can say…

2. Capel is lucky his *** wasn’t fired after the Gallon and Co. mess. After all, the head coach is ultimately responsible for the results and actions of the team. We gave him a chance to recover and he was not able to get it done. It is his time to go.

Personally, I think Capel is a good, young coach. However, if the AD decides he needs to go, I will support that decision. Either way, it should be an interesting season.

Boomer.....
9/29/2010, 08:16 PM
Due to all of the people leaving, I think this year will be a bye. If we don't get to .500 after next season, then we will have a problem.

Crimsontothecore
9/30/2010, 02:24 PM
Due to all of the people leaving, I think this year will be a bye. If we don't get to .500 after next season, then we will have a problem.

I go back and forth on this one. Should be Capel be given a pass because he may be behind the eight ball this year? Or, should he be blamed for the situation that put him in this situation to begin with? I'm just not sure he should escape all blame for what happened last year considering he recruited the "bad seeds"

badger
9/30/2010, 04:27 PM
It certainly looks a lot worse when so many Big 12 foes are getting to the postseason, not to mention the womens team next door is going to Final Fours (plural!).

If the Big 12 was sucking, recruiting was sucking everywhere and we didn't have such good seasons recently under both KS and Jeff, we'd probably find a way to write off the fact that last year was sooooo incredibly below expectations.

Joe. C won't accept it again, even if it's from one of his own hires.

stoopified
9/30/2010, 05:50 PM
It basically boils down to one question,does the administration think Capel is a quality coach? I believe they do ,(and I know I do.The key is do we continue to have attitude problems and off the court issues like last year.If you look at Capel's overall body of work,it would seem to indicate last season was an anomaly.

If we are around .500 and have no disruption Capel will not be on the hotseat,at least not with the administration.As I have stated in numerous threads I expect this team to be around 18-14 and in the NIT.

soonervegas
10/5/2010, 02:32 PM
He gets one more year after this unless it is an off the court disaster again.

Will he make it to 2012? 50/50 - 2011 will be huge.