PDA

View Full Version : Home of the Sooners is wrong!/ Home of the Chiefs is cool.

oumartin
9/28/2010, 06:39 PM
according to my aggie BIL.

While the national athem was being sang at the Chiefs game I said to my wife I should yell Sooners at the end and she elbowed me and said no I shouldn't. To my suprise though at the end nearly the entire stadium finished it off with Home of the Chiefs. I look over at my BIL who has said before that it's dumb and disrespectful to say Sooners at the end of the national anthem was right there with em Saying Chiefs. Gotta love aggy logic

oudivesherpa
9/28/2010, 06:47 PM
I'm old enough to remember when VA Tech was the Gobblers, (now the Hokies). Home of the Gobblers how does that sound---Kinda like UT.

sooner59
9/28/2010, 07:04 PM
Some people hate it because of patriotism, etc.

Some people hate it because they hate us.

Meh. I enjoy the fact that people hate us. Just means we've been winning.

CrimsonJim
9/28/2010, 07:10 PM
I am part us us and I still hate it. :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 07:29 PM
according to my aggie BIL.

While the national athem was being sang at the Chiefs game I said to my wife I should yell Sooners at the end and she elbowed me and said no I shouldn't. To my suprise though at the end nearly the entire stadium finished it off with Home of the Chiefs. I look over at my BIL who has said before that it's dumb and disrespectful to say Sooners at the end of the national anthem was right there with em Saying Chiefs. Gotta love aggy logic

This is brought up in the Poke forums from time to time. It's somewhat of a conversation killer.

Sooner74
9/29/2010, 06:01 AM
Last time I checked, the flag was being respected despite the words said. The words of the anthem are a song. I don't really care about the song, besides the fact it represents our country and foreigner recognize it as our anthem.

First and foremost the flag gets my eyes, my heart, and one proud American.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/29/2010, 01:27 PM
Apparently it's cool to say "Home of the Jets" too.

Jello Biafra
9/29/2010, 01:42 PM
if i might be able to step in here and throw another boot to this old worn out long dead horse.....

i look at it this way... the flag (not the anthem) is what we are paying tribute to. do they play the national anthem at the funeral of dead service men? sometimes. not all the time though. is taps? yes. is the FLAG on the casket? yes.

if you wanted to sing "jimmy crack corn (and i dont care)" in your mind, knock yerself out.

oumartin
9/29/2010, 01:44 PM
i just posted this to show more aggy logic

jkjsooner
9/29/2010, 02:48 PM
if i might be able to step in here and throw another boot to this old worn out long dead horse.....

i look at it this way... the flag (not the anthem) is what we are paying tribute to. do they play the national anthem at the funeral of dead service men? sometimes. not all the time though. is taps? yes. is the FLAG on the casket? yes.

if you wanted to sing "jimmy crack corn (and i dont care)" in your mind, knock yerself out.

I personally think it's absurd to say we're paying tribute to an object. We pay tribute to our ideals and those who served and died to uphold those ideals. It's what the flag represents that we pay tribute to not the flag itself.

Then again, I'm kinda anti-symbolism. Symbols can hide the true beauty of what they represent and they can easily be misused.

That being said, I treat the flag and anthem with respect because of what they represent but in the end they're objects. If all you are doing is paying tribute to them then you don't know what the hell you're doing.

goingoneight
9/29/2010, 02:53 PM
I don't get what is so damn hard about saying the word "brave" at the end of the National Anthem. I don't care if we're playing the service academies, playing on 9/11 or even the 4th of July. It's ignorant and many are offended by it. You only have like a hundred other opportunities each game to yell "Sooner!" Ever seen the other side of the stadium yell "Boomer?"
I suppose Jello Biafra's right, though. You have as much right to sing "Sooners" as you do to flip off the TV camera or scream during a moment of silence. It's not against any laws, it's just ignorant or classless... take your pick.

RFH Shakes
9/29/2010, 03:05 PM
I think that saying "home of the brave" is an insult to all the cowards in this country. THINK OF THE COWARDS!!!!!!!!!

:D

Sooner74
9/29/2010, 03:40 PM
People get too worked up about this. The anthem tells a story much like many other songs. The context of the song isn't really destroyed by Sooners besides saying what America consists of.

Call me new school, but I respect the people behind the flag and made our country what it is. If it was 1 minute of silence before each game to personally reflect, then I would get the same emotion as the anthem provides.

sooner59
9/29/2010, 03:48 PM
We should just change the anthem to "America, **** YEAH!" by DVDA.

BTW, if you google DVDA I am not responsible for what you find as it may be graphically NSFW.