PDA

View Full Version : Minecraft

Sooner_Havok
9/28/2010, 02:10 PM
Anyone else a victim of this epic time drain?

tator
9/28/2010, 02:16 PM
Minesweeper? What's Minecraft?

Sooner_Havok
9/28/2010, 02:22 PM
Minesweeper? What's Minecraft?

A sandbox game that will devour your soul:(

http://www.minecraft.net/

GKeeper316
9/28/2010, 02:50 PM
no games till TOR for me...

NormanPride
9/28/2010, 03:45 PM
Minecraft: OCD Simulator

Oldnslo
9/28/2010, 04:40 PM
crap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs&feature=player_embedded)

SteelCitySooner
9/29/2010, 12:45 AM
crap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs&feature=player_embedded)

haha

soonerinkaty
9/29/2010, 01:50 AM
So is it a fun game? WTF is the point

Collier11
9/29/2010, 02:19 AM
The fireplace was made of wood, lol

Crucifax Autumn
9/29/2010, 02:22 AM
I've got a raging semi.

Collier11
9/29/2010, 02:24 AM
whats new?

Fraggle145
11/12/2012, 12:20 PM
It is on xbox now. I am an addict.

badger
11/12/2012, 01:08 PM
Mother-in-law is an elementary teacher who said her kids play it. She didn't know what it was, so I looked up a youtube video of people spending days constructing the Lincoln Memorial, brick by brick. :eek:

Fraggle145
11/12/2012, 02:23 PM
You can make all kinds of ****. train stations. Lava roller-coasters. I think it taps into the atari gameplay from when I was a kid.

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2012, 02:31 PM
Mother-in-law is an elementary teacher who said her kids play it. She didn't know what it was, so I looked up a youtube video of people spending days constructing the Lincoln Memorial, brick by brick. :eek:

I would LOVE to tear that down -- brick by brick and recycle the blocks by throwing it into lava.

Minecraft is awesome. The only issue I have is that I'm not very creative, and I tend to fall into the same formulaic patterns over and over.

StoopTroup
11/12/2012, 02:35 PM
My 8 year old takes over his Mother's Kindle Fire and is hooked on the game. At least this week. God knows what he'll be onto next week. His Mom told him "NO" to Halo 4 and he's eyeing the new Black Ops Game which we both told him "NO" the second he asked.

The folks who made Little Big Planet have a new game coming that looks pretty interesting.

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2012, 02:37 PM
My 8 year old takes over his Mother's Kindle Fire and is hooked on the game. At least this week. God knows what he'll be onto next week. His Mom told him "NO" to Halo 4 and he's eyeing the new Black Ops Game which we both told him "NO" the second he asked.

The folks who made Little Big World have a new game coming that looks pretty interesting.
Why would you tell him no? If it's a cost thing I understand but Halo 4 and Black Ops II are both phenomenal even though, in the case of the former, I no longer play my Xbox much.

StoopTroup
11/12/2012, 02:44 PM
Violence. We realize we can't filter everything....we just try to lower the impact by not buying them every first person shooter game there is on the market. If they want to shoot a gun...I take them to the range. They can learn how to shoot real guns and know how to handle them safely and know what they really do if you shoot something.

When they get old enough to spend their own money on them....they can.

I lived without them growing up and I shot a wild rabbit before I ever shot anything on a TV. I know they won't get that opportunity as our Familes have to much livestock to let the kids out shooting guns anymore so they'll have to settle with targets at the range.

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2012, 03:03 PM
Violence. We realize we can't filter everything....we just try to lower the impact by not buying them every first person shooter game there is on the market. If they want to shoot a gun...I take them to the range. They can learn how to shoot real guns and know how to handle them safely and know what they really do if you shoot something.

When they get old enough to spend their own money on them....they can.

I lived without them growing up and I shot a wild rabbit before I ever shot anything on a TV. I know they won't get that opportunity as our Familes have to much livestock to let the kids out shooting guns anymore so they'll have to settle with targets at the range.

Ahh okay you're one of those. Don't trust your kids mental ability to distinguish fake from reality...simulation/real life. You know your kids better than anyone, so if you believe that to be the case then you're absolutely doing the right thing.

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2012, 03:05 PM
Halo 4, by the way, is a space shooter. So unless you're worried about showing him how to properly use a laser rifle...also Halo 4 doesn't have blood. There's nothing about Halo 4 that is the least bit realistic.

Now, Black Ops II is another matter.

StoopTroup
11/12/2012, 03:18 PM
I wasn't the one that told him no about Halo 4. I played the first two when they came out. I got sucked into them but eventually lost interest. Little Big Planet was completely fought over at the house until everyone got the chance to play it through at least twice. Great Game.

I tend to be a bad influence on some of these games as I do probably choose to buy some games that the kids probably shouldn't play. I think his Mom bought Skate 3 based on the fact we had an old Activision Skate game that she and I played together in split screen 2 player mode and she loves those type games. Skate 3 wasn't exactly that type of game but if you play it on-line...it is pretty cool.

We might checkout Halo again. Our XBOX 360 with Kinect isn't loading games anymore so I need to look into what's wrong with it.

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2012, 03:30 PM
I honestly don't mean this as a criticism of you, but I just have never exactly understood protective parents who try to limit their kids exposure to certain material.

My parents always took the approach of exposing me to everything pretty early (with the obvious big exception). I would go to 'R' rated movies with them when you could still count my age on one hand. If I had questions, they'd answer me directly and honestly.

When I was a kid, I had every kind of toy gun imaginable. I played GI Joes until I wore them out. I played Doom and Quake until my eyes bled. My dad had an arsenal of weaponry in the house none of which was ever locked up and much of it left in the open. Not once did I ever touch or play with his guns. I don't remember them ever explaining it to me, but I always inherently knew the difference between my toy guns and his real ones.

There are clearly some kids who can't distinguish between fiction and reality and there are also clearly some kids who don't understand that using a real gun is nothing like playing with a fake or virtual one. However, I think if I were a parent I'd give my kids the benefit of the doubt until they gave me a reason not to.