PDA

View Full Version : Coen Brothers' True Grit

Viking Kitten
9/28/2010, 01:43 PM
Opens Dec. 25, starring Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn. First trailer was just released today. I hate to jinx it, but is it even possible for this to go wrong?

Trailer (http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/09/28/true-grit-trailer-kills/)

pilobolus
9/28/2010, 01:56 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140653&page=4

I agree, I don't see any way this could be a fail.

stoopified
9/28/2010, 01:59 PM
If this is true remake of TRUE GRIT,I have two things to say- 1) Jeff Bridges ain't THE DUKE and 2) if this is meant as farce in retelling then the Coen bros should be ashamed .

You wanna remake all of John Wayne's crap movies fine but leave the masterpieces alone- True Grit,The Cowboys,The Shootist,In Harm's Way,etc.

pilobolus
9/28/2010, 02:02 PM
If this is true remake of TRUE GRIT,I have two things to say- 1) Jeff Bridges ain't THE DUKE and 2) if this is meant as farce in retelling then the Coen bros should be ashamed .

You wanna remake all of John Wayne's crap movies fine but leave the masterpieces alone- True Grit,The Cowboys,The Shootist,In Harm's Way,etc.

It's supposed to be based more on the original novel than the first movie was, but that doesn't change the fact there is only one Duke.

But then there's only one Dude, too.

TUSooner
9/28/2010, 04:11 PM
I guess there are no more new ideas? Sheesh. You know you're old when all the old shows and movies you remember are being done over to satisfy the devolved tastes of young 'uns.
Young people just plain SUCK !!!

;)

soonerinabilene
9/28/2010, 04:31 PM
Im just excited about there being a western movie to go see at the theater.

Lott's Bandana
9/28/2010, 04:34 PM
Bridges acknowledges the singularity of The Duke, but also is completely understanding of his attachment to The Dude to the point where when asked about this parallel he waved it off and said he is The Dude.

Crucifax Autumn
9/28/2010, 04:47 PM
I'm excited about anything the Coens do.

TUSooner
9/28/2010, 07:40 PM
Im just excited about there being a western movie to go see at the theater.

This is true.

sooneron
9/28/2010, 08:44 PM

And yet, you left out his best movie. :rolleyes:

SCOUT
9/28/2010, 08:57 PM
The Quiet Man.

bluedogok
9/28/2010, 10:32 PM
They were doing filming in the area for this in the spring and early summer. I knew a couple of people who were working on it.

picasso
9/28/2010, 11:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IpEnsdXwFM

King Crimson
9/29/2010, 04:51 AM

Ghengis Khan.

texaspokieokie
9/29/2010, 09:29 AM
red river or chisum

soonerboy_odanorth
9/29/2010, 09:51 AM
That link says it is based on the "film" True Grit, and not the original Charles Portis novel.

But from what I can tell from the trailer, I think what is going to happen is it will be a lot more true to the book.

Not to give anything away if you haven't read the book, but check out a glimpse of one of the very last scenes in the trailer... woman walking in a train station.. see if you notice anything.

Forgot to add... I am definitely going to see it. And I love the John Wayne version. But I think this one will be very good.

picasso
9/29/2010, 09:54 AM
Ghengis Khan.

hehe.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/29/2010, 10:02 AM

The Searchers or The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance or She Wore a Yellow Ribbon?

Come on, man... tell me!

LosAngelesSooner
9/29/2010, 12:38 PM
I'm stoked to see this movie. It's gonna be teh awesome.

And all you whiners are gonna be in the theaters watching it when it comes out because it's your kind of danged good shoot-em-up Western movie.

Oh, and you can't pretend to be a fan of The Duke and not claim that either Red River or The Searchers is his best movie. Fo' realz.

Mississippi Sooner
9/29/2010, 12:41 PM
If it was by anyone else, I'd probably dismiss it out of hand, right or wrong. But the Coens always seem to equal quality. I think they could have made Showgirls into a watchable movie.

LosAngelesSooner
9/29/2010, 12:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IpEnsdXwFMRio Bravo was great. I also really like The Sons of Katie Elder.

And you can't forget The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The Quiet Man.

And we're not even getting into his great WW2 movies.

Sooner04
9/29/2010, 12:47 PM
dKThgLq21Rc

Okla-homey
9/29/2010, 05:37 PM
Looks good. But I'm not sure how I'm going to react seeing the Dude playing the same role as the Duke.

As an aside, I wish they had shot it in Eastern Oklahoma where it was set in the book.

picasso
9/29/2010, 11:06 PM
Looks good. But I'm not sure how I'm going to react seeing the Dude playing the same role as the Duke.

As an aside, I wish they had shot it in Eastern Oklahoma where it was set in the book.

He was fantastic playing Wild Bill.

And the flashback scene to when they were ambushed by the Cheyenne Dog Soldiers was creepy good.

LosAngelesSooner
9/30/2010, 02:12 AM
He's a damn good actor. In everything. I trust him.

And the Brothers Cohen are pretty rock solid as well. They'll get my $12.

Crucifax Autumn
9/30/2010, 02:58 AM
Mine too. Most consistent of anyone who has made more than 6-7 movies. Nolan is up there along with a few other newer directors, but Coens have made more movies and almost always hit it out of the park.

sooneron
9/30/2010, 05:03 PM
The Searchers or The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance or She Wore a Yellow Ribbon?

Come on, man... tell me!

Searchers by a country mile. period.

soonersweetie
10/1/2010, 04:38 PM
It's just wrong, I tell ya, it's just wrong.

King Crimson
10/1/2010, 09:01 PM
the Searchers is creepy.

Red River is much better.

Lott's Bandana
10/6/2010, 08:54 AM

This.

The Coen's comments that it will be more true to the novel should have started with the proper location and the relevance of Indian Territory to the story.

Viking Kitten
10/6/2010, 09:50 AM
They actually were looking at shooting it here, but here is what happened.

Oklahoma offers tax incentives for film makers to come here, and they really work. However, the state caps the tax breaks at $5 million dollars annually. So many films were lined up to shoot in Oklahoma this year that the cap had already been earmarked by the time the Coen brothers came calling.

Here (http://www.ok.gov/oklahomafilm/INCENTIVES/) is what the state offers producers if you are interested.

Just for an example of how well these film incentives work, "The Killer Inside Me" cost state government $71,000, but the state film office estimates that the production actually brought more than $5.1 million INTO the state. The states around us with whom we are competing offer similar incentives but with either no cap or a cap that is significantly higher.

Lott's Bandana
10/6/2010, 10:05 AM
They actually were looking at shooting it here, but here is what happened.

Oklahoma offers tax incentives for film makers to come here, and they really work. However, the state caps the tax breaks at $5 million dollars annually. So many films were lined up to shoot in Oklahoma this year that the cap had already been earmarked by the time the Coen brothers came calling.

Here (http://www.ok.gov/oklahomafilm/INCENTIVES/) is what the state offers producers if you are interested.

Just for an example of how well these film incentives work, "The Killer Inside Me" cost state government $71,000, but the state film office estimates that the production actually brought more than $5.1 million INTO the state. The states around us with whom we are competing offer similar incentives but with either no cap or a cap that is significantly higher.

Fascinating stuff.

I know that filming was occurring in B'ville last week as my friend was all randy about Affbleck being there and she ended up being an extra.

Viking Kitten
10/6/2010, 10:08 AM
"Bringing Up Bobby" was shooting in downtown OKC last month, we had Bill Pullman, Milla Jovovich, and Famke Janssen here.

Lott's Bandana
10/6/2010, 10:16 AM
I haven't seen True Grit in decades, but I was reading about the original movie and there was a comment about the character's location being Oklahoma and Arkansas, yet it was filmed in Colorado with the Rockies plainly in the background.

Now I'm quite interested to see if the Coen's reference location at all.

Okla-homey
10/6/2010, 05:34 PM
I haven't seen True Grit in decades, but I was reading about the original movie and there was a comment about the character's location being Oklahoma and Arkansas, yet it was filmed in Colorado with the Rockies plainly in the background.

They almost have to reference location. The Rooster Cogburn character is a US Marshal out of Ft. Smith and Judge Parker's US District Court for the Western District of Arkansas located there. The baddies he was chasing had lit out for the I.T.

bluedogok
10/6/2010, 08:53 PM

The filming was based out of the Austin area and much was filmed in the town of Granger.
KXAN.com - Texas films looking up with 'True Grit' (http://www.kxan.com/dpp/entertainment/texas-films-looking-up-with-true-grit)

I know there has been a bunch of talk down here in the film circles about losing filming to Oklahoma, New Mexico and Louisiana to better incentive packages. Many of the film workers based here have been having to work out of state on projects because of them.

picasso
10/6/2010, 10:19 PM

Yeah remember the spot they met the law was in McAlester.

And I thought they filmed it near the Tetons?

Lott's Bandana
10/6/2010, 10:25 PM
Yeah remember the spot they met the law was in McAlester.

And I thought they filmed it near the Tetons?

It could have been near the Tetons...my all-knowing Wiki research stated filming was done in Colorado with many Rockies shots in the backgrounds.

Course Wiki is never wrong.

:P

Veritas
10/6/2010, 10:29 PM
He's a damn good actor. In everything. I trust him.
He's the best there is. Still think he's under-appreciated.

soonerinkaty
10/6/2010, 10:31 PM
Never seen True Grit, any good?

Lott's Bandana
12/21/2010, 06:54 PM
Bump

Opens tomorrow. I have my tix for the Grand Auditorium at the Warren.

I'm ready for some Coen Brothers magic.

Okla-homey
12/21/2010, 07:50 PM
Bump

Opens tomorrow. I have my tix for the Grand Auditorium at the Warren.

I'm ready for some Coen Brothers magic.

I can't wait neither brother.

I also find it somewhat bizzare that at the same time, The Dude is portraying an over-the-hill lawman in one of The Duke's greatest roles and a character in the remake of Tron. And BTW, I shan't be seeing the Tron redux.

SunnySooner
12/21/2010, 09:18 PM
They almost have to reference location. The Rooster Cogburn character is a US Marshal out of Ft. Smith and Judge Parker's US District Court for the Western District of Arkansas located there. The baddies he was chasing had lit out for the I.T.

Heh, there used to be a Rooster Cogburn's bar in downtown Ft. Smith, right on the main drag, just down the street from the old courthouse and "historically rebuilt" gallows. What a dive, there were always news stories of folk getting hit or stabbed. My 8 year old brain wondered WTH a Rooster Cogburn was, and why were all the windows painted? Ah, youth and innocence, I barely knew ye. ;)

Lott's Bandana
12/21/2010, 09:20 PM
Nor will I.

I'll be getting there early tomorrow.

silverwheels
12/21/2010, 11:20 PM
I can't wait neither brother.

I also find it somewhat bizzare that at the same time, The Dude is portraying an over-the-hill lawman in one of The Duke's greatest roles and a character in the remake of Tron. And BTW, I shan't be seeing the Tron redux.

Tron: Legacy is a sequel, not a remake.

And I hope to see True Grit on Sunday.

soonerinkaty
12/21/2010, 11:25 PM
Never seen True Grit, any good?

żY?

Leroy Lizard
12/22/2010, 01:32 AM

Look at the bright side: At least they didn't cast Johnny Depp.

SteelClip49
12/22/2010, 03:05 AM
John Wayne won an Oscar for his role in True Grit. Jeff Bridges is the reigning Best Actor in a leading role Academy Award winner playing the role The Duke did. I say this is perfect timing.

SteelClip49
12/22/2010, 03:13 AM
a downfall perhaps might be that it's rated PG-13 whereas past Coen flicks of great praise such as...Fargo, The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou, No Country For Old Men, Burn After Reading are all rated R.

I anticipate a good showing but knowing it's a film where 13 year olds can be approved to see it, doesn't really appeal to me at all. Who knows, it may be worth the money.

virginiasooner
12/22/2010, 09:31 AM
I remember seeing the original at the drive-in over 40 years ago. And then, seeing it about 10 years later, I was dismayed by the snow covered Rockies passing for southeastern Oklahoma. I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I'll go on New Year's Eve, and try and see something else as well. But I'm curious as to who will play the role of the horse dealer (Strother Martin in the original), or lawyer J. Noble Daggett (John Fieldler in the original).

soonerhubs
12/22/2010, 10:33 AM
An interesting read on the Movie: http://www.awardsdaily.com/2010/11/31797/

That museum in Fort Smith is worth the visit.

dwarthog
12/22/2010, 10:40 AM
I remember seeing the original at the drive-in over 40 years ago. And then, seeing it about 10 years later, I was dismayed by the snow covered Rockies passing for southeastern Oklahoma. I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I'll go on New Year's Eve, and try and see something else as well. But I'm curious as to who will play the role of the horse dealer (Strother Martin in the original), or lawyer J. Noble Daggett (John Fieldler in the original).

The Strother Martin character is being played by Dakin Matthews.

The John Fieldler character isn't showing up in IMDB in the remake version. However there are a couple of lawyers one is Joe Stevens and the other is David Lipman

Aldebaran
12/22/2010, 12:11 PM
Jeff Bridges > The Duke

sooner n houston
12/22/2010, 05:29 PM
Jeff Bridges > The Duke

Sacrilege!!!

yankee
12/22/2010, 05:55 PM
Saw it today. Excellent movie.

ouwasp
12/22/2010, 06:17 PM
I'm gonna see it next week...but I'm curious. Does it still have the line:

"Rooster, I'm shot to pieces..."?

yankee
12/22/2010, 06:19 PM
I'm gonna see it next week...but I'm curious. Does it still have the line:

"Rooster, I'm shot to pieces..."?

yup.

waynepayne
12/22/2010, 11:13 PM
going to the matinee Friday and I am really eager to see this one!

one of many good reviews.

http://www.denverpost.com/movies/ci_16905967

Sooner Tri
12/23/2010, 01:49 PM
yup.

Ned Pepper: What's your intention? Do you think one on four is a dogfall?
Rooster Cogburn: I mean to kill you in one minute, Ned. Or see you hanged in Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience. Which'll it be?
Ned Pepper: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.
Rooster Cogburn: Fill your hands, you sonofabitch!

Loved that scene.

Collier11
12/23/2010, 02:28 PM
It's supposed to be based more on the original novel than the first movie was, but that doesn't change the fact there is only one Duke.

But then there's only one Dude, too.

I read a review (true, only one persons opinion) but the review said that outside of John Wayne, every single character in the movie is played better, and they admittedly only said that cus it was The Duke. Also said the overall movie is better and stuck more to the novel like you said

Lott's Bandana
12/23/2010, 03:34 PM
I saw it last night in the Grand Auditorium at The Warren, with all the glorious sound that goes with it.

The movie was very good and it didn't have you flashing back to the original in your mind continuously.

If you love movies for what they are, this could end up being one of your favorites.

That being said, if you are a huge Coen Brothers fan (as I am), this movie is Coen Bros Lite.

Quirky characters - check, but not uber Quirky al a Raising Arizona or TBL. (with the possible exception of the bearskin-wearing Frontier Dentist, Olevet's twin, who appeared briefly and was a puzzling but wonderful addition to the list of C Brother's supporting cartoon characters; see: Jesus Quintana)

Graphic violence - check, but at a PG-13 level and not near the level of NCFOM or Fargo.

While all the performances were excellent, Barry Pepper's portrayal of Lucky Ned Pepper really stood out to me...turning an outlaw into a sympathetic figure, making the end of the horse mounted shootout scene between him and Cogburn incredibly powerful. He also didn't look that much like Barry Pepper to me...rather brilliant. He made me wish there was more of him in the movie.

Even though it was filmed in Texas, the locale proved close enough to the real Winding Stair mountains to be quite believable...just a few too many pine trees and not enough Blackjack Oaks.

Also, the lack of contractions in the conversations was quite noticeable and interesting...making the dialogue somewhat formal sounding, even for characters that weren't necessarily educated. "I do not like this at all." - Tom Chaney

The sound was done from the perspective of the person listening. This was quite fascinating as if the shot was showing Cogburn talking, his voice was full force...if the shot changed to another part of the room while he continued to talk, representing the perspective of the person being addressed, or as Rooster was walking away, the sound was lessened or dampened accordingly...this was VERY well done and made the incredible realism of the entire production, that much more so. This was assisted greatly by the Warren's excellent sound system.

Finally, if you close your eyes and listen to Rooster Cogburn on one of his rants, you'd swear it was Olevet at one of the tailgates...exact same voice/pitch/accent. Incredibly eerie to me, and made me laugh. Think I'll make a thread pointing this out.

Okla-homey
12/23/2010, 05:42 PM
Looking forward to seeing it tonight at 7pm.

As to the speech and language, I'm pleased to hear they kept true to what is commonly understood to be the case with regard to language. It is my undertstanding that even rural 19th c. white folks spoke very deliberately and methodically. Despite their relative lack of formal education by contemporary standards.

You must not forget, they were taught in primary school by teachers who thought nothing of boxing the jaws of a child who mispoke. Also, keep in mind, the written word with which they were most familiar, was the King James Bible.

Another film that did a great job of capturing what we believe about 19th c. American speech was "Ride With The Devil" starring "Spiderman" and Jewel.

I Am Right
12/23/2010, 06:16 PM
Opens Dec. 25, starring Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn. First trailer was just released today. I hate to jinx it, but is it even possible for this to go wrong?

Trailer (http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/09/28/true-grit-trailer-kills/)

Actually opened on Dec 22, 2010, Good Movie.

picasso
12/24/2010, 01:34 AM
I bought a gift card today at AMC and noticed it was starting up as I stood there. Really wanted to buy a ticket and stroll in.

royalfan5
12/24/2010, 04:24 PM
I enjoyed the hell out of it this afternoon. I thought it tied back to the book well, and I really want to get lit and shoot cornbread now.

Okla-homey
12/24/2010, 05:25 PM
I enjoyed the hell out of it this afternoon. I thought it tied back to the book well, and I really want to get lit and shoot cornbread now.

ditto. And loved the fact Le Beof takes a lot of ribbing from Cogburn over being a texass ranger. In fact, Rooser calls him a texass "brush-popper" and asks if all the Rangers are mounted on sheep like Le Boef. :D

Lott's Bandana
12/24/2010, 06:16 PM
ditto. And loved the fact Le Beof takes a lot of ribbing from Cogburn over being a texass ranger. In fact, Rooser calls him a texass "brush-popper" and asks if all the Rangers are mounted on sheep like Le Boef. :D

Homey, I'm going to see it again Sunday in Tulsa, but since OKC>Tulsa, there isn't a Warren there...where did you see it and how early should I be?

Okla-homey
12/24/2010, 10:29 PM
Homey, I'm going to see it again Sunday in Tulsa, but since OKC>Tulsa, there isn't a Warren there...where did you see it and how early should I be?

Starworld 20. South Memorial. Just off the Creek Turnpike. In Bixby, America. Check times online: "Starworld 20 Tulsa"

soonerhubs
12/24/2010, 11:20 PM
Loved this movie!!!

yermom
12/25/2010, 08:40 AM
saw it last night. i was slumming at Eton Square. it was the only place showing it after like 8PM, only $6 though...

i never saw the original, but i really want to now... i guess i agree on Coen brothers lite, but not much tops Lebowski anyway, though

btk108
12/25/2010, 08:45 AM
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.......Jimmy Stewart was the original "dude"

yermom
12/25/2010, 08:54 AM
i've seen clips of that, but never saw it

i really need to see more of the old Westerns like The Searchers and The Wild Bunch

GDC
12/25/2010, 11:36 AM
Tahlequah>>>Tulsa>>>>OKC

Saw it in a mostly empty theater last night. Good movie.

Lott's Bandana
12/25/2010, 01:05 PM
Tahlequah>>>Tulsa>>>>OKC

Now that's quality humor right there!

:P

Puzzled that the theater was empty...but I guess it was Christmas Eve.

yermom
12/25/2010, 01:35 PM
there might have been ten people in the theater when i saw it

AlboSooner
12/25/2010, 01:43 PM
One of the best movies of the year.
The last scene really glued the movie together.

A Sooner in Texas
12/25/2010, 06:00 PM
Really enjoyed this. I read the book before the original movie came out...since my mother is from the Yell County area and I'm from NE OK (Bartlesville), I hated that the 1969 version was shot in the Rockies. The new one still isn't accurate, but it's better. As for the casting, everyone was good, but Hailee Steinfeld - Mattie - stole the show, IMO.

StoopTroup
12/25/2010, 06:27 PM
Watched "Inception" and "The Other Guys" yesterday. I enjoyed them both for what they are. After hearing all the testimonials in this thread...I'm excited about seeing the New Grit even more than when I heard Jeff Bridges Interview about why he did this version of the Novel. I never really liked Glenn Campbell so I think this movie might be better. Wayne is what made the first Movie great.

C&CDean
12/25/2010, 08:18 PM
One of my kids got me the original Duke version for Christmas. I haven't watched it since maybe 1980-something? Anyhow, I still haven't watched it, or the new flick. Momma and I went to the theater this past week when it opened. We went to HP and the DH Part 1 since she hadn't seen it yet. As HP movies go, I thought this one was pretty good - but only if'n you read the books.

I'll hit Rooster this week. Prolly watch the old one tonight to get prepped since I'm batchin' on Christmas (momma and the kids are in Iowa/Arizona since we did Christmas last weekend).

Anyhow, I'm actually looking forward to a Coen brothers flick that ain't all ****ed up and weird - like most of you young snappers like them.

A Sooner in Texas
12/25/2010, 08:40 PM
Dean, the Coen brothers' True Grit is a much truer rendition of the book than the 1969 movie was. I enjoy most of their movies, primarily because of the eccentricities (Burn After Reading, however, was just one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen and nothing could save it), but the eccentricities you'll see in True Grit are from the book. It's really terrific.

soonerhubs
12/25/2010, 09:40 PM
Tahlequah>>>Tulsa>>>>OKC

Saw it in a mostly empty theater last night. Good movie.

Didja watch it at Green Country? Nice little theater except for the lack of stadium seats. We caught the 210 show yesterday.

GDC
12/25/2010, 09:46 PM
Didja watch it at Green Country? Nice little theater except for the lack of stadium seats. We caught the 210 show yesterday.

Yes, the 4:40 showing, and then they closed for Christmas Eve.

I miss the old Dream and Thompson Theaters downtown, and of course the drive-ins.

KC//CRIMSON
12/26/2010, 10:38 AM
Have to agree on the "Coen Lite" comment, it's no Blood Simple or Fargo, but the acting and cinematography is pure Coen brothers. Those guys are geniuses with dialogue and taking extremely average scenes and making them stand out. Matt Damon was surprisingly good in his role as LaBoeuf and Jeff Bridges pretty much owned it, again. It should easily be nominated for best picture, assuming it meets the deadline for the Academy Awards.

waynepayne
12/26/2010, 12:49 PM
Have to agree on the "Coen Lite" comment, it's no Blood Simple or Fargo, but the acting and cinematography is pure Coen brothers. Those guys are geniuses with dialogue and taking extremely average scenes and making them stand out. Matt Damon was surprisingly good in his role as LaBoeuf and Jeff Bridges pretty much owned it, again. It should easily be nominated for best picture, assuming it meets the deadline for the Academy Awards.

"Their adaptation was spot on. Where they really, I think, got it right was in lifting as much of Portis' dialogue as they could, because the dialogue is so beautiful and so funny," co-star Damon said.

"It's like I feel when I read a writer I really admire, my thought usually is, I know all of those words. I just never thought to put them in that order. And that's how I feel about Portis. There was something in the formality with which people spoke but the barbarity of the world they were living in," Damon said. "It feels very much like a Coen brothers movie to me. The total absurdity."http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2010/12/16/coens_part_ways_with_wayne_in_their_true_grit/?page=2

birddog
12/26/2010, 12:59 PM
I'm excited about anything the Coens do.

i'll agree with that. haven't seen serious man tho.

also, true grit kicked ace.

Collier11
12/26/2010, 12:59 PM
Going tomorrow night, cant wait

birddog
12/26/2010, 01:05 PM
coulda swore john foodman was in it then someone said it wasn't him.

also, where have you been the last 15 years, walter sobchak?

RocketDad
12/26/2010, 03:12 PM
Coen Lite is a great description but anything else would have ruined it. This was an excellent movie, Jeff Bridges was masterful as was the supporting cast. Nominations for awards should be multiple. I wish it would have been filmed in the actual Winding Stairs but it was close enough.

This will rank up there with my favorite westerns. I will see this again.

jdsooner
12/26/2010, 11:10 PM
I saw it at Quail Springs on the release date and the 9:10 show was packed.
Jeff Bridges gave a magnificient performance, but I thought Matt Damon's character was a little weak. The character with the most "true grit" was Hallie Steinfeld's performance as Mattie Ross. In my opinion, she stole the show and blew away Kim Darby.
The movie was not as good as I expected, but is solid and well worth seeing. I intend to see it a second time this week.

Howzit
12/27/2010, 10:29 AM
One of my kids got me the original Duke version for Christmas. I haven't watched it since maybe 1980-something? Anyhow, I still haven't watched it, or the new flick. Momma and I went to the theater this past week when it opened. We went to HP and the DH Part 1 since she hadn't seen it yet. As HP movies go, I thought this one was pretty good - but only if'n you read the books.

I'll hit Rooster this week. Prolly watch the old one tonight to get prepped since I'm batchin' on Christmas (momma and the kids are in Iowa/Arizona since we did Christmas last weekend).

Anyhow, I'm actually looking forward to a Coen brothers flick that ain't all ****ed up and weird - like most of you young snappers like them.

You know there is no Quidditch match, right?

C&CDean
12/27/2010, 10:51 AM
You know there is no Quidditch match, right?

The hell you say. I wanna see Rooster cop a golden snitch.

OUMallen
12/27/2010, 12:32 PM
Great flick!

Lott's Bandana
12/27/2010, 10:06 PM
Saw it again last night. Really noticed the de-saturation in the white balance of the film, almost sepia...noticed this much more than the first time, but I don't think last night's (AMC South-something 20 at 41st and Yale) presentation was even in HD, like the magnificence that is the Warren shows.

That difference may have made it seem a little more whitewashed.

Barry Pepper still didn't look much like Barry Pepper.

oulucas
12/27/2010, 11:22 PM
Saw it on Christmas Day at Quail Springs and there was not a seat in the house available. Great flick. I have heard that the actress who played the young girl was acting in her first movie. Is this true? If so, WOW. She was incredible. Also, the Dudester Cogburn was everything expected and more. All around a wonderful movie. I liked it better than the original.

Collier11
12/27/2010, 11:23 PM
Saw it tonight at Warren, GREAT movie...Bridges and the little girl gave Oscar worthy performances

okieavatar
12/28/2010, 09:47 AM
GREAT movie...Bridges and the little girl gave Oscar worthy performances

Couldn't agree more! I don't know that the movie will be nominated for Best Picture but Bridges and Steinfeld should be nominated in their respective catagories!

MrJimBeam
12/28/2010, 11:29 AM
Couldn't agree more! I don't know that the movie will be nominated for Best Picture but Bridges and Steinfeld should be nominated in their respective catagories!

Have two actors ever been nominated, much less won, best actor for playing the same character?

Frozen Sooner
12/28/2010, 11:54 AM
Have two actors ever been nominated, much less won, best actor for playing the same character?

Yep.

Three different actors have been nominated playing Henry VIII.

There have been two nominations for different actors playing:

Father O'Malley
Norman Maine
Mr. Chips
Henry V
Henry Higgins
Cyrano
Joe Pendleton
Richard Nixon
Vito Corleone. I think this one is the only character to actually win two Oscars for two different people. Brando for Best Actor and De Niro for Best Supporting.

saucysoonergal
12/28/2010, 11:58 AM
But Brando declined his Oscar and ruined that poor girl's acting career. ;)

achiro
12/28/2010, 11:59 AM

I would think it would be tough for him to win again so soon even if he deserved it.

Frozen Sooner
12/28/2010, 11:59 AM
By the way, I don't want anyone to think I pulled that list off the top of my head. Google is your friend. I figured Hamlet probably had a couple of Oscar nominations and went from there.

SpankyNek
12/28/2010, 12:29 PM
I would think it would be tough for him to win again so soon even if he deserved it.

Spencer Tracy and, more recently, Tom Hanks have done it back to back.

Viking Kitten
12/28/2010, 12:32 PM
So have Katherine Hepburn, Jason Robards and Luise Rainer.

(http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_actors_won_back-to-back_Oscars#ixzz19QdiHKew)

Viking Kitten
12/28/2010, 12:35 PM
Also googled.

Collier11
12/28/2010, 07:32 PM
I thought Damon was pretty damn solid as well, although some in this thread didnt like his character so much

StoopTroup
12/28/2010, 09:13 PM
Teh Wife and I went to see it last night.

It's better than the first one and Teh Dude is better at teh Duke than the Duke was IMO. Don't get me wrong....John Wayne was a great American and an ICON but this remake of a Classic is done really well and is so much better than the original. Amazing what the Coens did with this movie. The girl is fantastic. The reason folks might not like Damon is that you aren't supposed to like him. He's a Texas Ranger Doosh. You can't fix that. Damon nailed the dooshiness that is a tejas ranger.

GDC
12/29/2010, 09:30 AM
Teh Wife and I went to see it last night.

It's better than the first one and Teh Dude is better at teh Duke than the Duke was IMO. Don't get me wrong....John Wayne was a great American and an ICON but this remake of a Classic is done really well and is so much better than the original. Amazing what the Coens did with this movie. The girl is fantastic. The reason folks might not like Damon is that you aren't supposed to like him. He's a Texas Ranger Doosh. You can't fix that. Damon nailed the dooshiness that is a tejas ranger.

He was no Augustus MacRae.

AlboSooner
12/29/2010, 11:35 AM
I'm sure this will not sit well with many, but I watched the old movie last night and didn't like it as much as the new one.

ouwasp
12/29/2010, 04:06 PM
I saw the new TG last night, it was fine. I appreciated many aspects of it. More realistic, no doubt. But I think I prefer the banter between the characters in TG69 (even though G. Campbell couldn't act a lick) vs the outright dislike they had for each other in TG10.

Now, I'll tell you this...the appearance of the snakes in the pit was positively unsettling...

thesnowbishop
12/29/2010, 05:31 PM
Now, I'll tell you this...the appearance of the snakes in the pit was positively unsettling...

I finally had a chance to see it this afternoon. Good flick. The Coen brother light tag is fitting, but like No Country for Old Men, I think they just took the novel and realized it on film.

As for the snakes, I loved seeing it in the theater. The lady a seat away squirmed and uttered audible laments upon the snake and horse scenes.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/29/2010, 05:34 PM
While John Wayne was a great personality, his range was not great as an actor. He was basically playing the same persona with minor variations in most of his films.

It was robbery to give John Wayne the Best Actor Oscar over Dustin Hoffman for his Midnight Cowboy performance as Enrico "Ratso" Rizzo.

The Academy should have just given Wayne a lifetime achievement Oscar instead of one for Best Actor.

achiro
12/29/2010, 06:37 PM
Saw it this afternoon, great flick.

Taxman71
12/30/2010, 09:19 AM
He was no Augustus MacRae.

Noone will ever be equal to Augustus McCrae, or Woodrow F. Call for that matter.

OUmillenium
12/30/2010, 09:39 AM
Only glanced at Page 1 of thread. Have read a number of reviews giving this movie top marks. Have also had trusted friends say it is awesome. Wifey and I hope to see it soon. Review said it definitely does not resemble the JW original movie and more along the lines of the novel. I am tempted to read novel and rewatch the John Wayne version first.

GDC
12/30/2010, 10:18 AM
Only glanced at Page 1 of thread. Have read a number of reviews giving this movie top marks. Have also had trusted friends say it is awesome. Wifey and I hope to see it soon. Review said it definitely does not resemble the JW original movie and more along the lines of the novel. I am tempted to read novel and rewatch the John Wayne version first.

I just got the book yesterday, hope to read it this weekend.

StoopTroup
12/30/2010, 01:25 PM
While John Wayne was a great personality, his range was not great as an actor. He was basically playing the same persona with minor variations in most of his films.

It was robbery to give John Wayne the Best Actor Oscar over Dustin Hoffman for his Midnight Cowboy performance as Enrico "Ratso" Rizzo.

The Academy should have just given Wayne a lifetime achievement Oscar instead of one for Best Actor.

Well...to be honest....Hoffman has been doing the same schtick in tons of his movies too. He probably learned that from Wayne. ;)

waynepayne
12/31/2010, 04:35 PM
Finally got to see it this afternoon.

Excellent score
Excellent dialogue
Excellent cinematography
Excellent acting

There were so many great lines I need to go see it again just to soak it all in one more time.

Collier11
12/31/2010, 04:45 PM
When he kicked the Indians on the porch, allsome!

waynepayne
12/31/2010, 04:48 PM
When he kicked the Indians on the porch, allsome!

Are we trading again???

hahahahahaha!

btk108
1/2/2011, 10:33 PM
just back from seeing it. I was pleased and thought I wouldn't be. Vet would make an awesome Rooster Cogburn.

IB4OU2
1/3/2011, 02:34 PM
"Little Blacky"

That's a fine name...