PDA

View Full Version : So i watched a little tape

oudavid1
9/28/2010, 01:31 PM
Cause i enjoy breaking down football and i noticed.....

Texas went under center 10/71 plays

I think they will try and spread it out against OU.

oudavid1
9/28/2010, 01:31 PM
Oh, and virtually no two-back sets.

Spritekid
9/28/2010, 01:36 PM
I think it would be safe to say they will probably change that this week. Cause the **** didn't work last time!

tator
9/28/2010, 01:36 PM

they'll be spreading it alright....

Spritekid
9/28/2010, 01:37 PM
they'll be spreading it alright....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sooner_Havok
9/28/2010, 01:39 PM
on a little vcr?

oudavid1
9/28/2010, 01:48 PM
on a little vcr?

DVR

sooner_born_1960
9/28/2010, 01:51 PM
I think Havok was commenting on the antiquated term "tape".

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2010, 01:54 PM

But it's scary to say "So I watched a little disk" - have to pro-nunce-eh-cate carefully.

Sooner_Havok
9/28/2010, 02:07 PM
But it's scary to say "So I watched a little disk" - have to pro-nunce-eh-cate carefully.

:D

oudavid1
9/28/2010, 02:41 PM

yeah i figured. besides, thats coach speak.

Mad Dog Madsen
9/28/2010, 02:47 PM
yeah i figured. besides, thats coach speak.

david, when did you become a coach?

oudavid1
9/28/2010, 02:48 PM
david, when did you become a coach?

Im not yet, but i really want to be.

Mad Dog Madsen
9/28/2010, 02:49 PM
Im not yet, but i really want to be.

I know, just messin' with ya... That's cool though.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/28/2010, 02:50 PM
if you want to use "coach speak" then practice the following words and phrases...

"Certainly"
"In a great way"
or
"In a big way"
"At the end of the day"

oudavid1
9/28/2010, 02:51 PM
I know, just messin' with ya... That's cool though.

i really love watching games and rewinding and seeing who is doing what, what tendencies are, and who is improving. I hope to be a football manager at OU next year.

oudavid1
9/28/2010, 02:51 PM
if you want to use "coach speak" then practice the following words and phrases...

"Certainly"
"In a great way"
or
"In a big way"
"At the end of the day"

Or one of Bobs favorites "To a degree"

Mississippi Sooner
9/28/2010, 02:57 PM

"Certainly"
"In a great way"
or
"In a big way"
"At the end of the day"

And sit around and scratch your nuts a lot.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/28/2010, 02:59 PM
im coaching some football tonight if you want to hear some coach speak

my favorite one is "you guys quit brother-in-law'n each other" when the lineman aren't blocking well

NormanPride
9/28/2010, 03:31 PM
You don't make references to you and jlew? Collier doesn't come by and "demonstrate" how to take snaps from center?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/28/2010, 03:34 PM
those guys are the reason we take every snap from shotgun

sooner59
9/28/2010, 03:39 PM
There is a thread idea: Common phrases or quotes from football coaches.

There has to be some gold there.

Crucifax Autumn
9/28/2010, 03:39 PM
And sit around and scratch your nuts a lot.

I'm not even a coach and I do that all the time.

Mississippi Sooner
9/28/2010, 03:40 PM
Don't forget to "give it 110%."

Mississippi Sooner
9/28/2010, 03:42 PM
I'm not even a coach and I do that all the time.

There was this assistant football coach at Sulphur High back in the day, and I'll never be able to scour the image from my mind. He'd sit there on the edge of the desk in a baggy pair of gym shorts, chewing tobacco and fondling his huevos while discussing blocking technique.

OU_Sooners75
9/28/2010, 04:01 PM
im coaching some football tonight if you want to hear some coach speak

my favorite one is "you guys quit brother-in-law'n each other" when the lineman aren't blocking well

My favorite when I played was, "Ya'll stop Pus sy-footin' around and block someone already!"

Or

"Quick half-assing it and go full speed!"

CBUS_SOONER
9/28/2010, 04:27 PM

So David, I have a really good coaching job for you (not really but lets pretend) if you call the game this Saturday correct. I want you expert unbiased prediction. seriously and thanks

stoops the eternal pimp
9/28/2010, 04:30 PM
http://www.dansdata.com/images/dcrip7/tape440.jpg

Collier11
9/28/2010, 04:34 PM
Quit gheyin up another thread guys, geesh!

On another note, Herby was talking on CFL today and said that based off what he has seen and heard, ut is going to abandon the run game and try to spread us out

Collier11
9/28/2010, 04:34 PM
My favorite when I played was, "Ya'll stop Pus sy-footin' around and block someone already!"

Or

"Quick half-assing it and go full speed!"

Nowadays its more like, "quit going full speed and slow down a little"

oudavid1
9/28/2010, 04:35 PM
So David, I have a really good coaching job for you (not really but lets pretend) if you call the game this Saturday correct. I want you expert unbiased prediction. seriously and thanks

wait, what?

CBUS_SOONER
9/28/2010, 04:37 PM
wait, what?

I want you expert opinion on how the game is gonna go. I haven't seen texass play... you like our chances?

oudavid1
9/28/2010, 04:42 PM
I want you expert opinion on how the game is gonna go. I haven't seen texass play... you like our chances?

I think Oklahoma has the superior offense by far. I think texas has a better defense (but its up in the air with Oklahoma) I think they(theFAKEUT) will have a really tough time putting together long methodical drives, they just dont have the consistency with young Gilbert (who i think will be really good in time (maybe this season)) but there defense plays beyond Oklahoma overall but the Sooners offense has created mis matches all year long and with Murray/Broyles overall.

I think Oklahoma wins by 2 scores.

Collier11
9/28/2010, 04:43 PM
see thats the thing, I think ut will have to hit some big plays...I dont think they can drive on us

CBUS_SOONER
9/28/2010, 04:45 PM
I think Oklahoma has the superior offense by far. I think texas has a better defense (but its up in the air with Oklahoma) I think they(theFAKEUT) will have a really tough time putting together long methodical drives, they just dont have the consistency with young Gilbert (who i think will be really good in time (maybe this season)) but there defense plays beyond Oklahoma overall but the Sooners offense has created mis matches all year long and with Murray/Broyles overall.

I think Oklahoma wins by 2 scores.

Thanks! I hope your correct

VA Sooner
9/28/2010, 04:51 PM
As long as we "wrap up" on defense, "execute" better and "finish the play", I think we'll be OK.

I'm ready for the sidelines now!

OU 24, Texas 10

Mississippi Sooner
9/28/2010, 04:52 PM
"You call that a three point stance? Looks like you're ready to take a crap!"

oumartin
9/28/2010, 08:38 PM
I was listening to Dean the Stream on the total dominance hour today and he was giving his input and I dont' think he even watched Texas on Saturday.

he was talking about UCLA hitting the edges for big runs and to my recollection they were gashing texas right up the gut. Then saying how Gilbert had great mobility and speed at the qb position. He looked like he had concrete shoes on saturday.

I do agree with him that the things Texas is suspect against are things OU doesn't do well. Their strengths on defense match OU strengths on Offense. Luckily their Offense is pretty much non existant so OU should give up no more than 30 against them.. :D

OKC-SLC
9/28/2010, 09:37 PM
see thats the thing, I think ut will have to hit some big plays

Problem is we seem to be subject to these more than usual this year. At least it seems that way.

stoopified
9/28/2010, 10:26 PM
I'm not a coach BUT I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

madillsoonerfan5353
9/29/2010, 09:57 AM

I disagree. I think Cincy exposed this d line and the aggression of the lb's. If I was Greg Davis I would line up in running formations and try and crease this d line with cut backs and misdirection? And then hit us with play action. JMHO.

:texan:

oudavid1
9/29/2010, 11:41 AM
I disagree. I think Cincy exposed this d line and the aggression of the lb's. If I was Greg Davis I would line up in running formations and try and crease this d line with cut backs and misdirection? And then hit us with play action. JMHO.

:texan:

If you go back and watch the tape of us vs Cincinnati, we almost never brought more than 3! :eek:

They would go 2 back and we would spy both backs and the QB.

Later in the game cincin stating having the backs block for a second then split out and eventually just run routes, and then we starting coming after em (see Pryce Macon fumble)

I think against Texas, the blitz is on (no WWII reference to Germany guys)

NOVSooner
9/29/2010, 12:47 PM
Or one of Bobs favorites "To a degree"

another of Bob's favorite, when asked about an injured player, "he'll be fine" meaning, next season, he'll be fine.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/29/2010, 01:06 PM
If they spread us out, it'll be to open up the zone read.

If they go lots of jumbo and big, it'll be to attack the speed head on. This is my personal bet for a few reasons. One, you kill speed by going at it, not away from it, so you need to hit it in the belly. Lots of A and B gap, downhill type of stuff. Suck the aggressive LBs in and start finding the seams in the middle 2s across the field. Long, sustained drives. Lots of converted 3rd and mid. Lots of 5 step drop from under center, lots of tiered routes beneath the safeties in the middle of the field. TE will have a huge day. Two, big sets give you options in pass pro to ease up the rush. Gives the coaches a means to keep Gilbert's shirt a little cleaner. Three, it tightens up the checks, both pre-snap and after snap. He can hit his progressions quicker because he's not cycling across the field, outside the hashes. That in turn plays more towards the 3 and 5 step drops, which in turn gets the ball out of the backfield quicker, which in turn jives with getting the ball in the middle 2s above those aggressive LBs. Four, they'll need the extra help getting their crappy RBs any decent looks whatsoever.

Spread? No way. Texas goes big in this one. Travis Lewis better have his head screwed on tight.

BoulderSooner79
9/29/2010, 01:58 PM

If they go lots of jumbo and big, it'll be to attack the speed head on. This is my personal bet for a few reasons. One, you kill speed by going at it, not away from it, so you need to hit it in the belly. Lots of A and B gap, downhill type of stuff. Suck the aggressive LBs in and start finding the seams in the middle 2s across the field. Long, sustained drives. Lots of converted 3rd and mid. Lots of 5 step drop from under center, lots of tiered routes beneath the safeties in the middle of the field. TE will have a huge day. Two, big sets give you options in pass pro to ease up the rush. Gives the coaches a means to keep Gilbert's shirt a little cleaner. Three, it tightens up the checks, both pre-snap and after snap. He can hit his progressions quicker because he's not cycling across the field, outside the hashes. That in turn plays more towards the 3 and 5 step drops, which in turn gets the ball out of the backfield quicker, which in turn jives with getting the ball in the middle 2s above those aggressive LBs. Four, they'll need the extra help getting their crappy RBs any decent looks whatsoever.

Spread? No way. Texas goes big in this one. Travis Lewis better have his head screwed on tight.

I hope their strategy is for long, sustained drives because they haven't proven they can do that yet. But they do have playmakers that can go the distance and that is what OUr D needs to stop. The teams are mirror images of each other. Neither can run effectively and have young, but talented QBs. Our D has been suspect in most games, while their O has been. They are concerned due to our performance against FSU, but it's unclear how good FSU really was. We have to be concerned how they shutdown the TT spread, but it's unclear how the Tuberville spread measures up to the Leach spread. It's going to be interesting.

madillsoonerfan5353
9/29/2010, 02:04 PM

This is kinda what I said! :D

yankee
9/29/2010, 06:39 PM
If you go back and watch the tape of us vs Cincinnati, we almost never brought more than 3! :eek:

They would go 2 back and we would spy both backs and the QB.

prolly cause collaros had wheels right? gilbert can't run worth crap, so i agree that we'll be bringing more pressure.

oumartin
9/29/2010, 06:42 PM
prolly cause collaros had wheels right? gilbert can't run worth crap, so i agree that we'll be bringing more pressure.

blevins says he's vince young part 2

ashley
9/29/2010, 07:33 PM
Greg Davis wants to throw the ball. He always has. The difference this year he does not have Mc Coy to bail them out on 3rd and 7 scrambles for a first and there is no Shipley. We should win but in a close game because our D is average and we have lots of trouble running the ball. Just like most games it will be field position. Field position is usually determined be kicking and turnovers. Lets hope our field position is good. I wish we were good enough to kick their *** but it does not appear we are.
Don't be fooled by last week, I think there D is very good. Their O will continue to be mediocre without great field position. This time of year teams tend to be who they are. After almost two month of practice I don't look like much to change.