PDA

View Full Version : Atheists know more about religion than the faithful do....

AggieTool
9/28/2010, 08:25 AM
This is in partially due to the fact a lot of atheists obsess so much about proving religion "wrong", that they do a more than average amount of studying on the subject. But interesting none the less...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/religion/la-na-religion-survey-20100928,0,6853827.story?track=rss

"If you want to know about God, you might want to talk to an atheist.

Heresy? Perhaps. But a survey that measured Americans' knowledge of religion found that atheists and agnostics knew more, on average, than followers of most major faiths. In fact, the gaps in knowledge among some of the faithful may give new meaning to the term "blind faith."

A majority of Protestants, for instance, couldn't identify Martin Luther as the driving force behind the Protestant Reformation, according to the survey, released Tuesday by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life. Four in 10 Catholics misunderstood the meaning of their church's central ritual, incorrectly saying that the bread and wine used in Holy Communion are intended to merely symbolize the body and blood of Christ, not actually become them."

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2010, 08:48 AM
Of course, when you compare a population in the tens - hundreds of thousands to a group in the billions, that tends to skew the results.

crawfish
9/28/2010, 09:11 AM
It's not that atheists have a better grasp of the bible, it's that they typically have a grasp of parts that many Christians do not.

I've also encountered a fair share of atheists who have a lot of arrogance in thinking that they know more about the bible than Christians do. Of course, they are usually humbled a bit when they figure out I'm not one of them. :)

fadada1
9/28/2010, 09:12 AM
there are a bunch of guys in mexico named "jesus". does that mean anything?

crawfish
9/28/2010, 09:18 AM
there are a bunch of guys in mexico named "jesus". does that mean anything?

http://www.mockpaperscissors.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/jesus-on-facebook.jpg

yermom
9/28/2010, 09:23 AM
the guy that mows my lawn?

HBick
9/28/2010, 09:25 AM
Atheists know more about it because they tried to look for answers to their questions and their results did not satisfy their wants/needs.

The same survey showed that Jews and Mormon's know the 2nd most. 69% of Protestants don't know who Martin Luther is.

Obviously it's a stupid skewed survey due to the fact that it was 32 questions. Quick lesson for you on advertising/marketing, anything over 3 questions is considered a waste of time because the majority of people will glaze over and stop paying attention. Polls/Survey's like this are a waste of time and money.

yermom
9/28/2010, 09:31 AM
It's not that atheists have a better grasp of the bible, it's that they typically have a grasp of parts that many Christians do not.

I've also encountered a fair share of atheists who have a lot of arrogance in thinking that they know more about the bible than Christians do. Of course, they are usually humbled a bit when they figure out I'm not one of them. :)

well, it did say on average ;)

49r
9/28/2010, 09:52 AM
the guy that mows my lawn?

Don't **** with the Jesus!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jwuxVcOFcAo/SEbCDX_jcxI/AAAAAAAAAHI/RX563Wgym4E/s400/the+jesus.jpg

picasso
9/28/2010, 10:15 AM
This is in partially due to the fact a lot of atheists obsess so much about proving religion "wrong", that they do a more than average amount of studying on the subject. But interesting none the less...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/religion/la-na-religion-survey-20100928,0,6853827.story?track=rss

"If you want to know about God, you might want to talk to an atheist.

Heresy? Perhaps. But a survey that measured Americans' knowledge of religion found that atheists and agnostics knew more, on average, than followers of most major faiths. In fact, the gaps in knowledge among some of the faithful may give new meaning to the term "blind faith."

A majority of Protestants, for instance, couldn't identify Martin Luther as the driving force behind the Protestant Reformation, according to the survey, released Tuesday by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life. Four in 10 Catholics misunderstood the meaning of their church's central ritual, incorrectly saying that the bread and wine used in Holy Communion are intended to merely symbolize the body and blood of Christ, not actually become them."

Believers actually get to know God. Is that in the survey?

OhU1
9/28/2010, 10:25 AM

Ok, what color is his hair then? :D

pilobolus
9/28/2010, 10:30 AM
This is because generally speaking, the less education you have, the more susceptible you are to believing Jewish fairy tales about men living in whales, old men with beards living somewhere in the sky, etc.

picasso
9/28/2010, 10:34 AM
Ok, what color is his hair then? :D

Clear.

picasso
9/28/2010, 10:36 AM
This is because generally speaking, the less education you have, the more susceptible you are to believing Jewish fairy tales about men living in whales, old men with beards living somewhere in the sky, etc.

Oh yes, this explains all of the brilliant scholars and theologians out there who believe in God.

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2010, 10:37 AM
the less education you have, the more susceptible you are to believing Jewish fairy tales

Well there you have it. It was only a matter of time until the antisemitic hate and bigotry that is all too typical of the atheists showed it face.

Good job sir, good job.

Will you be demeaning other people's race next?

Crucifax Autumn
9/28/2010, 10:38 AM
I'm not shocked. Most messageboard posters know more than professional coaches too.

Crucifax Autumn
9/28/2010, 10:38 AM
Well there you have it. It was only a matter of time until the antisemitic hate and bigotry showed it face.

Good job sir, good job.

I was gonna roll with hair color. Friggin' gingers.

pilobolus
9/28/2010, 10:43 AM
Well there you have it. It was only a matter of time until the antisemitic hate and bigotry that is all too typical of the atheists showed it face.

Good job sir, good job.

Not anti-anybody, except maybe ignorant people. The old testament is Jewish fairy tales, and the new testament is mostly christian fairy tales.

And the majority of scientists are open-minded about all of this, because anybody with a brain knows you can never fully disprove anything, so there is always that miniscule chance something may actually be true.

olevetonahill
9/28/2010, 10:43 AM

Good Point
I was headin to
Atheists Know religion
Christians Know God.:cool:

JohnnyMack
9/28/2010, 10:48 AM

Good job sir, good job.

You sir play the martyr card very well.

Being anti-religion isn't being antisemitic or hateful, what you're doing is simply redirecting what he said and avoiding the point that the old testament is in fact, a lot of parables and fables.

badger
9/28/2010, 10:55 AM
I learned a lot more about religion after I moved to a less rural, more urban area for college. I think that's part of the flaw of the survey - a lot of rural for Protestants, a lot of urban for the minority groups.

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2010, 10:56 AM
Not anti-anybody, except maybe ignorant people. So you hate "ignorant people".
And ignorant people = anyone who has a set of beliefs that you don't like or don't understand.

I believe this is the definition of bigotry and intolerance.

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, irrationality, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs or geneticshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigotry

So much for trying to pretend you're some open minded individual.

pilobolus
9/28/2010, 11:01 AM
So you hate "ignorant people".
And ignorant people = anyone who has a set of beliefs that you don't like or don't understand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigotry

Like the other poster said, you seem to only be able to deflect attention away from the actual issue, or try to.

There is nothing wrong with being anti-ignorance. More people need to be educated and make informed decisions about their lives.

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2010, 11:03 AM
Being anti-religion isn't being antisemitic or hateful, what you're doing is simply redirecting what he said..I agree that is isn't, or it shouldn't be.

Unfortunately, for most of your friendlies in the "universe just magically poofed outta nowhere" movement, they tend to be nothing more than a bunch of angry & hostile bigots whose only reason for living is to run down Jews and Christians.

Of course, they don't bother with the Muslims. Their to scared of them I suppose.

JohnnyMack
9/28/2010, 11:03 AM

Tell us how you feel about Muslims please.

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2010, 11:04 AM
Like the other poster said, you seem to only be able to deflect attention away from the actual issue, or try to.I don't know what you're talking about. You're the one who brought the hate speech into this thread.

OhU1
9/28/2010, 11:05 AM
in the "universe just magically poofed outta nowhere" movement

You mean the Bible story? ;)

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2010, 11:08 AM
Tell us how you feel about Muslims please.Well I don't hate them, nor do I think that they are ignorant, or I am somehow better than they are, like you and other so called "atheists" believe of the rest of us.

I just think they're misled by a false profit and a false set of ideals (namely Jihad, Sharia Law, etc).

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2010, 11:09 AM
You mean the Bible story? ;)Ironic, isn't it? ;)

starclassic tama
9/28/2010, 11:17 AM
Of course, when you compare a population in the tens - hundreds of thousands to a group in the billions, that tends to skew the results.

16% and rising of 350 million people in the united states = tens to hundreds of thousands? i know that math stuff can be really hard sometimes, ha.

Fraggle145
9/28/2010, 11:23 AM

I'm surprised you had to look this up...

Fraggle145
9/28/2010, 11:25 AM
Well I don't hate them, nor do I think that they are ignorant, or I am somehow better than they are, like you and other so called "atheists" believe of the rest of us.

I just think they're misled by a false profit and a false set of ideals (namely Jihad, Sharia Law, etc).

Actually I think if you cared to look into it instead of getting immediately offended you would find that most atheists actually believe the statement in bold; it just applies to all religions.

pilobolus
9/28/2010, 11:27 AM
Actually I think if you cared to look into it instead of getting immediately offended you would find that most atheists actually believe the statement in bold; it just applies to all religions.

That's nice to be able to pick and choose which religions are right and which are wrong, considering they are all based on faith, and nothing more.

crawfish
9/28/2010, 11:28 AM
That's nice to be able to pick and choose which religions are right and which are wrong, considering they are all based on faith, and nothing more.

...and you know this how?

soonerhubs
9/28/2010, 11:31 AM
Just out of curiosity, who scored right below the atheists and agnostics?

:D :D ;)

pilobolus
...and you know this how?

Show me one shred of physical or analytical evidence to support any aspect of any religion.

Science by definition puts the burden of proof on supporting an idea, not disproving it.

Crucifax Autumn
Aliens.

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2010, 11:32 AM
16% and rising of 350 million people in the united states = tens to hundreds of thousands? i know that math stuff can be really hard sometimes, ha.ARIS has said less than 2% actually called themselves Atheists.

That's not very many people.

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2010, 11:34 AM
Actually I think if you cared to look into it instead of getting immediately offended you would find that most atheists actually believe the statement in bold; it just applies to all religions.Only difference is I don't call them stupid, or imply they are somehow lesser breed of people because of their beliefs.

Much unlike the atheists generally do.

soonerhubs
9/28/2010, 11:35 AM
Tuba, take a break from the CJ for a second and google who was just below those two groups.:pop:

landrun
9/28/2010, 11:36 AM
My two cents...

I heard about this survey last night but didn't get to read anything about it.

As a Christian, I do feel that there are many people who don't know what they believe. Having said that, I'd like to see the actual questions and the statistical data giving the percentage of answers from each group to the questions rather than a vague interpretation of what those answers mean from a bunch of journalists.

When you say that group X knows more about religion than group Y, and then you back it up by saying that 40% of Catholics 'misunderstood' the meaning of communion from the Catholic church's point of view it begs the question, do they misunderstand or disagree - like protestants do? I've been in churches where literally about 80% of the people attending disagreed with the stated doctrine and beliefs of the church. And I'll be we all know Catholics who use contraceptives, etc...

But we're seldom given the actual survey with the responses, only someone's interpretation of what the results mean. Which I would like to point out, agrees exactly with the stated preconceived notions Mr. Prothero had before the survey was even taken.

Crucifax Autumn
Yeah, but breaking apart "atheists" from "humanists" and so on is like breaking all Christians into grups for counting purposes.

pilobolus
ARIS has said less than 2% actually called themselves Atheists.

That's not very many people.

As I said you can never fully disprove anything.

Anyone with even a sliver of a brain will keep an open mind to all the possibilities.

soonerhubs
9/28/2010, 11:37 AM
As I said you can never fully disprove anything.

Anyone with even a sliver of a brain will keep an open mind to all the possibilities.

I've often wondered how I'd cope with a sliver of a brain. :D

pilobolus
9/28/2010, 11:39 AM

My ex-wives believe I do it every day.;)

starclassic tama
9/28/2010, 11:40 AM
Figures are up from 14.3 million in 1990 to 34.2 million in 2008, representing a proportionate increase from 8% of the total in 1990 to 15% in 2008.[3] Another nation-wide study puts the figure of unaffiliated persons at 16.1%.

i know that math stuff can be hard.

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2010, 11:42 AM
I'm surprised you had to look this up...What's sad is that we still have people who have to attack people for their beliefs. And many minority groups are some of the most religious people around.

And yet, the atheist would want us to believe they aren't as intelligent, or that something is wrong with them.

But this is what the modern Atheist movement does, and it's sad. It's pure hate, bigotry racism and antisemitism all rolled into one, no other way to say it.

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2010, 11:43 AM
Another nation-wide study puts the figure of unaffiliated persons at 16.1%.

i know that math stuff can be hard.

You do realize that unaffiliated doesn't all equal atheist, right??

I know that reading/thinking can be hard. Well, no I don't actually, but I can tell it's hard for you.

soonerhubs
9/28/2010, 11:50 AM
Why do you hate me Tuba?
:D

OhU1
9/28/2010, 11:57 AM
What's sad is that we still have people who have to attack people for their beliefs. And many minority groups are some of the most religious people around.

And yet, the atheist would want us to believe they aren't as intelligent, or that something is wrong with them.

But this is what the modern Atheist movement does, and it's sad. It's pure hate, bigotry racism and antisemitism all rolled into one, no other way to say it.

Wow, this is a classic piece of logic. To sum up: 1. Atheist reject religious claims as unsupported (including Judaism). 2. To reject a religious claim is to attack the religious claim. 3. Many minorities are religious (including Jews). 4. Because atheist reject these religious claims atheists assert minorities are stupid. 5. Thus atheists are racist and anti-Semitic.

starclassic tama
9/28/2010, 12:08 PM
You do realize that unaffiliated doesn't all equal atheist, right??

I know that reading/thinking can be hard. Well, no I don't actually, but I can tell it's hard for you.

even at less than 2%, let's say 1% which you know is a ridiculously low number. it would still be 3.5 million. not tens to hundreds of thousands. the actual number of atheists/agnostics is most certainly at least 15+ million.

olevetonahill
9/28/2010, 12:39 PM

Id fry it in Bacon Grease put it on toast and eat it .;)

Sooner_Havok
9/28/2010, 12:45 PM
mormon

yermom
9/28/2010, 01:03 PM

maybe you should look up "ignorant"

JohnnyMack
9/28/2010, 01:10 PM
What's sad is that we still have people who have to attack people for their beliefs. And many minority groups are some of the most religious people around.

You never cease to amaze me.

I don't hate Christians, Jews or any other religious group. I think they're as wrong as I think I am right, but I don't have hate for them. You're being a total martyr, drama queen over this whole thing as usual.

Atheists want to convert believers to Atheism just as Christians want to convert people to Christianity. Nothing would make you happier in fact than for me to become born again and embrace your faith. Just as I long for the day when you refute your particular set of beliefs. But to say that I'm just a bigoted, hateful, racist, antisemite all because I don't happen to share your belief set is just uncalled for.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/28/2010, 01:13 PM
JohnnyMack didn't realize I was baptizing him when I gave him a golden shower

Jello Biafra
9/28/2010, 01:14 PM
Clear.

rofl...

sorry. just struck me as funny

JohnnyMack
9/28/2010, 01:17 PM
JohnnyMack didn't realize I was baptizing him when I gave him a golden shower

When I give you "communion" it's supposed to be a wafer, not man gravy. Sorry to have lied to you for this long.

adoniijahsooner
9/28/2010, 01:19 PM
Back in the day, the religious folk of Jesus' time were confounded at how he could know "letters" without being taught at their schools. If an athiests and a religious person were to get into a debate, I believe the learned athiests would prevail everytime; especially if they are knowledgeable of science and the bible. However, place an athiest or a "religious" person at the feet of Christ, and they both would come away looking like fools. We as "believers" should not try to materalize something that is solely based on faith, which is the "substance" of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen. I know the scriptures front to back, including some greek and hebrew, but I would never spend a moment debating an athiests on what's in the scripture.

Howzit
9/28/2010, 01:22 PM
It's interesting that most are assuming that this was about Christianity alone and biblical knowledge. I saw some of the sample questions and it was as much on other religions and people/countries associated with them as Christianity.

JohnnyMack
9/28/2010, 01:24 PM
We start talking about man gravy and look who shows up...

pilobolus
9/28/2010, 01:25 PM
http://i.treehugger.com/images/2007/5/24/034_ComicPope1.jpg

Howzit
9/28/2010, 01:27 PM
We start talking about man gravy and look who shows up...

Don't get your hopes up, no more Howzit gravy for you.

pilobolus
9/28/2010, 01:30 PM
http://www.mackdawgproductions.com/images/thumbs/0207012114Man%20Gravy.jpg

GKeeper316
9/28/2010, 01:44 PM
Wow, this is a classic piece of logic. To sum up: 1. Atheist reject religious claims as unsupported (including Judaism). 2. To reject a religious claim is to attack the religious claim. 3. Many minorities are religious (including Jews). 4. Because atheist reject these religious claims atheists assert minorities are stupid. 5. Thus atheists are racist and anti-Semitic.

believer logic!

47straight
9/28/2010, 01:45 PM
If you'd like to take the survey itself, here it is.

http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-religious-knowledge

15/15, btw, no cheating.

Sooner_Havok
9/28/2010, 01:56 PM
woot woot

http://imgur.com/ktZBn.png

JohnnyMack
9/28/2010, 02:01 PM
14/15

pilobolus
9/28/2010, 02:03 PM
Damn it takes a long time to get to the next question.

Sooner_Havok
9/28/2010, 02:05 PM
14/15

newb

Howzit
9/28/2010, 02:15 PM
That's not the entire survey, btw.

But I was 14/15, no idea on the last one.

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 02:39 PM
I'm not shocked. Most messageboard posters know more than professional coaches too.

That's a good analogy. I am sure there are many among us that know more about football in the historical sense than Bob Stoops. Which coach...? Which team...? Which player...?

But Bob understands more about what is relevant to his team than anyone else. While we may know, he understands.

A true Christian (a person who truly devotes his life to Christ) knows more about what is relevant to him (that is, the word of God) than the average person. He may not know as much about "religion" (which religion... which religious leader...?), but other than as an intellectual exercise why should he care?

A lot of those people that took the survey are not real Christians. They identify themselves as Christians but probably haven't stepped foot inside a church, or opened the Bible, in a long time.

And is there any point at which we will wise up and understand that these surveys are, for the most part, garbage (especially when the surveyor is trying to substantiate his own world view).

AggieTool
9/28/2010, 02:43 PM
They identify themselves as Christians but probably haven't stepped foot inside a church, or opened the Bible, in a long time.

'Cuz lord noez, the creator of the known universe requires us to speak to him in designated synthetic structures, and read from books written by people that have been dead for over 2000 years.:D

Next thing you know, he'll demand we eat fish on Fridays and give money so the preacher can build a new mega-church.:P

Sooner_Havok
9/28/2010, 02:46 PM
I hate the phrase "They're not real Christians"

stoops the eternal pimp
9/28/2010, 02:48 PM
I hate the phrase "____ was thrown under the bus." Why a bus and what technique would you use?

adoniijahsooner
9/28/2010, 02:49 PM

I do too.

Howzit
9/28/2010, 02:51 PM
I hate the phrase, "at the end of the day. I mean, do they mean when you leave work? Or do they mean when you go to bed? Or do they mean 23:59:59? I just don't know.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/28/2010, 02:56 PM
and what if they are in the central time zone and im in cali?..does that mean I better watch my back around 10?

Sooner_Havok
9/28/2010, 02:57 PM
I just want this thread to go to the next page. Some jack @ss posted a big *** picture and screwed everything up.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/28/2010, 02:58 PM
hey I know that guy..except for the fact he puts his penis in chickens, he's alright

Sooner_Havok
9/28/2010, 03:00 PM
I...but...you see... when a man loves a chicken...

stoops the eternal pimp
9/28/2010, 03:02 PM
well he has certainly made it difficult for me to eat "chicken pot pie"

Bourbon St Sooner
9/28/2010, 03:15 PM
I...but...you see... when a man loves a chicken...

Micheal Bolton still can't dance worth a shiite.

Sooner_Havok
9/28/2010, 03:16 PM
well he has certainly made it difficult for me to eat "chicken pot pie"

oShTJ90fC34

Sooner_Havok
9/28/2010, 03:17 PM
Micheal Bolton still can't dance worth a shiite.

this guy?

http://cdn.weinterrupt.com/wp-content/uploads/bolton.jpg

OhU1
9/28/2010, 03:35 PM

I hear the term "true Christian" so often that I think these so called "true Christians" must be very rare and ephemeral indeed. Maybe I'll meet one someday?

Frozen Sooner
9/28/2010, 03:44 PM
I hear the term "true Christian" so often that I think these so called "true Christians" must be very rare and ephemeral indeed. Maybe I'll meet one someday?

They are. They're generally pretty cool people, though. Getting to know some definitely made my life better.

It's pretty interesting to me, though, that most of them don't spend any time worrying about whether other people are "true Christians" or not other than trying to convert (which is, of course, in line with the Great Commission). They just believe that Christ is the son of God, died for their sins, was resurrected, and that He forgives them so long as they truly repent (which includes an actual desire to not do it again and work so that it doesn't) any of their actions incompatible with His teachings.

Mighty rare indeed.

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 03:57 PM
They are. They're generally pretty cool people, though. Getting to know some definitely made my life better.

It's pretty interesting to me, though, that most of them don't spend any time worrying about whether other people are "true Christians" or not other than trying to convert (which is, of course, in line with the Great Commission). They just believe that Christ is the son of God, died for their sins, was resurrected, and that He forgives them so long as they truly repent (which includes an actual desire to not do it again and work so that it doesn't) any of their actions incompatible with His teachings.

Mighty rare indeed.

Agreed. I would think that only about 10% of those who claim to be Christian truly live a Christian lifestyle centered on their beliefs. And that may be too high.

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 03:58 PM
'Cuz lord noez, the creator of the known universe requires us to speak to him in designated synthetic structures, and read from books written by people that have been dead for over 2000 years.:D

Next thing you know, he'll demand we eat fish on Fridays and give money so the preacher can build a new mega-church.:P

You didn't do so hot on the survey, did you?

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 03:59 PM

Would you prefer, "They're pseudo-Christians?"

Sooner_Havok
9/28/2010, 04:11 PM
Would you prefer, "They're pseudo-Christians?"

I would prefer that when "Christians" f*** up, they receive the same vitriol and anger from Christians that "Muslims" get when they f*** up.

I hear all the time, "This is a Christian nation."

Then, high profile Christians f*** up, and do things that would make a gay transgendered atheist blush. Then we are told, "well, they aren't true Christians."

And, when you say only 10% of "Christians" are Christians, then 1.) who is to say that the 10% aren't "Christians" and the 90% are Christians 2.) If only 10% (And that number might be to high) are Christians, then aren't we a "Christian" nation, not a Christian nation?

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 04:21 PM
I would prefer that when "Christians" f*** up, they receive the same vitriol and anger from Christians that "Muslims" get when they f*** up.

I tend to consider blowing up buildings and people more than simply "****ing" up."

I hear all the time, "This is a Christian nation."

Then, high profile Christians f*** up, and do things that would make a gay transgendered atheist blush. Then we are told, "well, they aren't true Christians."

True Christianity is founded on repentance.

True Christians sin. They ask for forgiveness for their sins.

And, when you say only 10% of "Christians" are Christians, then

1.) who is to say that the 10% aren't "Christians" and the 90% are Christians

Answer: God

2.) If only 10% (And that number might be to high) are Christians, then aren't we a "Christian" nation, not a Christian nation?

We are a nation founded on Christian ideals and reflecting a Christian view. That doesn't mean that all Americans are devout.

We have only been over this **** about 200 times by now. :(

OhU1
9/28/2010, 04:29 PM
We are a nation founded on Christian ideals and reflecting a Christian view. That doesn't mean that all Americans are devout.

George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and the Constitution do not agree with you. Refer to the Treaty of Tripoli.

In what sense is the U.S. founded on "Christian ideals"? You guys can't even agree what a Christian ideal is yet you claim a nation is founded on such an ideal.

Sooner_Havok
9/28/2010, 04:33 PM
I tend to consider blowing up buildings and people more than simply "****ing" up."

True Christianity is founded on repentance.

True Christians sin. They ask for forgiveness for their sins.

Answer: God

I tend to call rapping little boys more than f***ing up too...

Also,any religion that says "F*** up all you want, but tell me you're sorry every time and it's ok." is a little messed up

Also, since GOD doesn't talk much through burning bushes anymore, who is to say what GOD thinks. You state that GOD is the one who knows who the "Christians" are and who the Christians are, but you also impune that you know this as well. So, you learned this from GOD. So, how did you find out what was GOD's choice?

Also, democracy and the republican form of government are not Christian, they're pagan.

starclassic tama
9/28/2010, 04:45 PM
George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and the Constitution do not agree with you. Refer to the Treaty of Tripoli.

In what sense is the U.S. founded on "Christian ideals"? You guys can't even agree what a Christian ideal is yet you claim a nation is founded on such an ideal.

leroy knows that ain't true, he's just trying to stir stuff up. in no way did the framers reference the bible in making the constitution. this nation was founded on principles of FREEDOM and political EQUALITY. hence the whole freedom of religion thing, pretty sure the bible doesn't encourage anyone to believe any religion they want.

Sooner_Havok
9/28/2010, 04:48 PM
Wait, why am I d***ing around with this tool?

http://imgur.com/ICT7H.jpg

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 04:52 PM
I tend to call rapping little boys more than f***ing up too...

I hate the music too. But I would hardly compare it to blowing up buildings and people.

Also,any religion that says "F*** up all you want, but tell me you're sorry every time and it's ok." is a little messed up

Once again, for the umpteenth time, you don't simply say "sorry about that."

Also, since GOD doesn't talk much through burning bushes anymore, who is to say what GOD thinks. You state that GOD is the one who knows who the "Christians" are and who the Christians are, but you also impune that you know this as well.

:confused:

When did I ever say that I could point out those who are true Christians?

I can point to certain people and say that I think they are living their lives according to Scripture. Whether that is sufficient on Judgment Day is not for me to say.

So, you learned this from GOD. So, how did you find out what was GOD's choice?

I read the Bible.

Now, will you please try some other angle of attack? We have done this countless times in here and you never get anywhere with it.

Also, democracy and the republican form of government are not Christian, they're pagan.

If you want to believe that, go ahead. I'm not sure whether it is important to this argument or not.

BTW, the Treaty of Tripoli does not state that the U.S. was not founded on Christian ideals, but rather that it was not founded on the Christian religion. In other words, the U.S. is not a theocracy and can be trusted to set religion aside when dealing politically with Islamic nations.

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 04:54 PM
leroy knows that ain't true, he's just trying to stir stuff up. in no way did the framers reference the bible in making the constitution.

And I never said they did. By ideals I meant "influences." Our laws reflect the social mores that were highly influenced by Christianity.

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 04:57 PM
Wait, why am I d***ing around with this tool?

If you're referring to me, go back and read this thread. YOU were the one that kept responding to my points. And as usual, YOU are the one crying about it.

JohnnyMack
9/28/2010, 04:59 PM
And I never said they did. By ideals I meant "influences." Our laws reflect the social mores that were highly influenced by Christianity.

:pop:

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 05:04 PM
:pop:

You're more excited it about than you should be. This is the 30th showing of this movie.

Sooner_Havok
9/28/2010, 06:11 PM
If you're referring to me, go back and read this thread. YOU were the one that kept responding to my points. And as usual, YOU are the one crying about it.

Um, I am taking the blame for it. Something about someone who argues with an idiot... You are horrible at what you do and you should feel horrible.

Responding to like one of your posts is not "kept responding"...tool

yankee
9/28/2010, 06:27 PM
buncha boards on this *** hole.

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 06:39 PM
Um, I am taking the blame for it. Something about someone who argues with an idiot... You are horrible at what you do and you should feel horrible.

Now that the petty insults have come out, we can bury the thread. (Just like all the other times we have tried to discuss this issue.)

Sooner_Havok
9/28/2010, 06:49 PM
Now that the petty insults have come out, we can bury the thread. (Just like all the other times we have tried to discuss this issue.)

Hope you got a mouse in your pocket

GKeeper316
9/28/2010, 07:04 PM

which were brought on by society. whats more likely... that god gave us these rules, or that someone thought them up and decided to use god as his enforcement tool?

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 07:26 PM
which were brought on by society. whats more likely... that god gave us these rules, or that someone ?

Here we go again:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144357&page=7&highlight=religion

See Page 8, where this exact same argument was bandied around for days. And the result was the same then as it will be now: a lot of name calling, and no one convincing anyone of anything.

GKeeper316
9/28/2010, 07:30 PM
Here we go again:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144357&page=7&highlight=religion

See Page 8, where this exact same argument was bandied around for days. And the result was the same then as it will be now: a lot of name calling, and no one convincing anyone of anything.

fair enough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXThbqU0dw4

MR2-Sooner86
9/29/2010, 01:58 PM
When it comes to bull****, big-time, major league bull****, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bull**** story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bull**** story. Holy ****!

But I want you to know something, this is sincere, I want you to know, when it comes to believing in God, I really tried. I really, really tried. I tried to believe that there is a God, who created each of us in His own image and likeness, loves us very much, and keeps a close eye on things. I really tried to believe that, but I gotta tell you, the longer you live, the more you look around, the more you realize, something is ****ed up.

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed. Results like these do not belong on the résumé of a Supreme Being. This is the kind of **** you'd expect from an office temp with a bad attitude. And just between you and me, in any decently-run universe, this guy would've been out on his all-powerful *** a long time ago. And by the way, I say "this guy", because I firmly believe, looking at these results, that if there is a God, it has to be a man.

No woman could or would ever **** things up like this. So, if there is a God, I think most reasonable people might agree that he's at least incompetent, and maybe, just maybe, doesn't give a ****. Doesn't give a ****, which I admire in a person, and which would explain a lot of these bad results.

So rather than be just another mindless religious robot, mindlessly and aimlessly and blindly believing that all of this is in the hands of some spooky incompetent father figure who doesn't give a ****, I decided to look around for something else to worship. Something I could really count on.

And immediately, I thought of the sun. Happened like that. Overnight I became a sun-worshipper. Well, not overnight, you can't see the sun at night. But first thing the next morning, I became a sun-worshipper. Several reasons. First of all, I can see the sun, okay? Unlike some other gods I could mention, I can actually see the sun. I'm big on that. If I can see something, I don't know, it kind of helps the credibility along, you know? So everyday I can see the sun, as it gives me everything I need; heat, light, food, flowers in the park, reflections on the lake, an occasional skin cancer, but hey. At least there are no crucifixions, and we're not setting people on fire simply because they don't agree with us.

Sun worship is fairly simple. There's no mystery, no miracles, no pageantry, no one asks for money, there are no songs to learn, and we don't have a special building where we all gather once a week to compare clothing. And the best thing about the sun, it never tells me I'm unworthy. Doesn't tell me I'm a bad person who needs to be saved. Hasn't said an unkind word. Treats me fine. So, I worship the sun. But, I don't pray to the sun. Know why? I wouldn't presume on our friendship. It's not polite.

I've often thought people treat God rather rudely, don't you? Asking trillions and trillions of prayers every day. Asking and pleading and begging for favors. Do this, gimme that, I need a new car, I want a better job. And most of this praying takes place on Sunday His day off. It's not nice. And it's no way to treat a friend.

But people do pray, and they pray for a lot of different things, you know, your sister needs an operation on her crotch, your brother was arrested for defecating in a mall. But most of all, you'd really like to **** that hot little redhead down at the convenience store. You know, the one with the eyepatch and the clubfoot? Can you pray for that? I think you'd have to. And I say, fine. Pray for anything you want. Pray for anything, but what about the Divine Plan?

Remember that? The Divine Plan. Long time ago, God made a Divine Plan. Gave it a lot of thought, decided it was a good plan, put it into practice. And for billions and billions of years, the Divine Plan has been doing just fine. Now, you come along, and pray for something. Well suppose the thing you want isn't in God's Divine Plan? What do you want Him to do? Change His plan? Just for you? Doesn't it seem a little arrogant? It's a Divine Plan. What's the use of being God if every run-down shmuck with a two-dollar prayerbook can come along and **** up Your Plan?

And here's something else, another problem you might have: Suppose your prayers aren't answered. What do you say? "Well, it's God's will." "Thy Will Be Done." Fine, but if it's God's will, and He's going to do what He wants to anyway, why the **** bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me! Couldn't you just skip the praying part and go right to His Will? It's all very confusing.

So to get around a lot of this, I decided to worship the sun. But, as I said, I don't pray to the sun. You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. Two reasons: First of all, I think he's a good actor, okay? To me, that counts. Second, he looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't **** around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that God was having trouble with.

For years I asked God to do something about my noisy neighbor with the barking dog, Joe Pesci straightened that ****sucker out with one visit. It's amazing what you can accomplish with a simple baseball bat.

So I've been praying to Joe for about a year now. And I noticed something. I noticed that all the prayers I used to offer to God, and all the prayers I now offer to Joe Pesci, are being answered at about the same 50% rate. Half the time I get what I want, half the time I don't. Same as God, 50-50. Same as the four-leaf clover and the horseshoe, the wishing well and the rabbit's foot, same as the Mojo Man, same as the Voodoo Lady who tells you your fortune by squeezing the goat's testicles, it's all the same: 50-50. So just pick your superstition, sit back, make a wish, and enjoy yourself.

And for those of you who look to The Bible for moral lessons and literary qualities, I might suggest a couple of other stories for you. You might want to look at the Three Little Pigs, that's a good one. Has a nice happy ending, I'm sure you'll like that. Then there's Little Red Riding Hood, although it does have that X-rated part where the Big Bad Wolf actually eats the grandmother. Which I didn't care for, by the way. And finally, I've always drawn a great deal of moral comfort from Humpty Dumpty. The part I like the best? "All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again." That's because there is no Humpty Dumpty, and there is no God. None, not one, no God, never was.

In fact, I'm gonna put it this way. If there is a God, may he strike this audience dead! See? Nothing happened. Nothing happened? Everybody's okay? All right, tell you what, I'll raise the stakes a little bit. If there is a God, may he strike me dead. See? Nothing happened, oh, wait, I've got a little cramp in my leg. And my balls hurt. Plus, I'm blind. I'm blind, oh, now I'm okay again, must have been Joe Pesci, huh? God Bless Joe Pesci. Thank you all very much. Joe Bless You!

Leroy Lizard
9/29/2010, 02:25 PM
Did you actually write this? Because it's pretty bad.

As for the divine plan and prayer, I ended that topic the last time by pointing out the distinction between a plan and a script. The crickets are still chirping in that thread.

EDIT: I see that it is George Carlin. (Which is interesting because I thought it would serve better use in a comedy improv routine. Maybe it was funnier when spoken in front of an audience. Written... meh.)

JohnnyMack
9/29/2010, 02:53 PM
Did you actually write this? Because it's pretty bad.

As for the divine plan and prayer, I ended that topic the last time by pointing out the distinction between a plan and a script. The crickets are still chirping in that thread.

EDIT: I see that it is George Carlin. (Which is interesting because I thought it would serve better use in a comedy improv routine. Maybe it was funnier when spoken in front of an audience. Written... meh.)

Opinions are like *******s.

Leroy Lizard
9/29/2010, 03:23 PM
Opinions are like *******s.

Wow, you could have written material for George Carlin.

TUSooner
9/29/2010, 04:02 PM
My two cents...

I heard about this survey last night but didn't get to read anything about it.

As a Christian, I do feel that there are many people who don't know what they believe....
There's a very good observation, which may be the whole point of the survey.

Lout
9/29/2010, 04:14 PM
It's pure hate, bigotry racism and antisemitism all rolled into one, no other way to say it.

Coming from someone who has the insensitivity to show a Black man depicted in White Face, cashing in on the embedded racism that characterized the entire black face and minstrel show phenomenon, this line of reasoning is hilarious. Please, continue. And so you don't confuse this, I'm not attacking your thoughts on Obamacare or what have you--you can believe what you want.

But you consciously choose to display this image in your avatar and then castigate others for being racist?

Methinks you need to read the book you're defending a bit more closely.

Olevet, I'll just presume the neg rep is coming, so thanks for playing.

fadada1
9/29/2010, 04:43 PM
...just sittin' here waiting on the spaceship. don't know what all the fuss is about.

Leroy Lizard
9/29/2010, 04:54 PM
Coming from someone who has the insensitivity to show a Black man depicted in White Face, cashing in on the embedded racism that characterized the entire black face and minstrel show phenomenon, this line of reasoning is hilarious.

I thought Obama was painted up to look like a clown.

:confused:

yermom
9/29/2010, 04:58 PM
the Joker.

i don't really see the racism there either

retarded, maybe, racist, not so much

Czar Soonerov
9/29/2010, 05:20 PM
I heard the Atheists were planning on building nothing at Ground Zero. ;)

SCOUT
9/29/2010, 05:27 PM
That damned racist Eddie Murphy...
http://www.freewayscollide.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/04_whitedude.jpg
http://magicunlimited.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451dfaa69e20120a5cc71b7970b-pi

GottaHavePride
9/29/2010, 11:39 PM
...just sittin' here waiting on the spaceship. don't know what all the fuss is about.

Would that be... the mother ship?

http://www.deeptrouble.com/misc/clinton_onion/georgeclinton.gif

I heard the Atheists were planning on building nothing at Ground Zero. ;)

Post of the thread. Move along. Nothing to see here.

http://www.urbandigs.com/nakedgun.gif