PDA

View Full Version : Rest in Peace, George Blanda

TUSooner
9/27/2010, 03:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5622590

I never liked the Raiders (and still hate 'em), but this guy was cool for playing so well for so long, as QB and kicker.

C&CDean
9/27/2010, 03:37 PM
Bummer. RIP

SoonerLB
9/27/2010, 03:44 PM
As a Chiefs fan I used to cuss him a lot, but always had respect for him because he was a man to be admired. He had all the class that Al Davis lacked.
May he rest in peace!

sluggo sooner
9/27/2010, 03:45 PM
I remember watching a Raider game in highschool where Blanda was the place kicker and the 3rd string quarter back (he had to have been in his 40s). Stabler was the starter, I think. Well, both the starting QB and the backup are knocked out of the game with injuries, and Blanda comes in to engineer a late drive for a come from behind win.

Mississippi Sooner
9/27/2010, 03:47 PM
Any time you get to thinking Brett Favre has been in the league a long time, just consider this. Favre would have to play for eight more seasons to equal Blanda.

RIP

TUSooner
9/27/2010, 04:00 PM
Any time you get to thinking Brett Favre has been in the league a long time, just consider this. Favre would have to play for eight more seasons to equal Blanda.

RIP

Great observation!

Favre can't kick, either, as far as I know. :D

Flagstaffsooner
9/27/2010, 04:04 PM
My favorite NFL player of all time. What a great man.

sluggo sooner
9/27/2010, 04:14 PM
Blanda was 43 when he did this:

"In 1970, Blanda was released during the preseason, but bounced back to establish his 21st professional season as one of the more dramatic comebacks in sports history. Beginning with the October 25 game at Pittsburgh, Blanda put together five straight clutch performances. Against the Steelers, Blanda threw for two touchdowns in relief of an injured Daryle Lamonica. One week later, his 48-yard field goal with three seconds remaining salvaged a 17-17 tie with the Kansas City Chiefs. Repeating the thrilling finish on November 8, Blanda once again came off the bench to throw for a pass to tie the Cleveland Browns with 1:34 remaining, then kicked a 53-yard field goal as time expired for the 23-20 win. In the team's next game, Blanda replaced Lamonica in the fourth quarter and connected with Fred Biletnikoff on a touchdown pass with 2:28 left in the game to defeat the Denver Broncos, 24-19. The incredible streak concluded one week later when Blanda's 16-yard field goal in the closing seconds defeated the San Diego Chargers, 20-17."

Link: http://www.raidersonline.org/georgeblanda.php

CrimsonJim
9/27/2010, 04:19 PM
They don't make 'em like that any more. RIP