PDA

View Full Version : Stoops says beating Texas not everything?!

badger
9/27/2010, 10:57 AM
Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100927_92_0_NORMAN491723)

Well, guess it isn't, but when you've lost a few recently, then I really, really want to win this one. This year. Right now.

And then, when it's over, we can be all like "Yeah, guess it doesn't matter much, gotta win more now."

But till then, it means EVERYTHING! :mad:

texaspokieokie
9/27/2010, 10:59 AM
Stoops doesn't live in tejas.

jumperstop
9/27/2010, 11:03 AM
He makes perfect sense. Does you no good to win this one game and then think you have a free ride the rest of the season. And maybe he's down playing it's importance to the media in case it's the only game we drop and has to do some campaigning later in the season to get us back in the championship hunt. Who knows? But I think he and his team understand how important this game is, at least I hope they do.

sooner_born_1960
9/27/2010, 11:04 AM
It's not everything, but until Saturday night, it's the only thing.

tommieharris91
9/27/2010, 11:07 AM
Beating Texas is everything.

This week. If he said otherwise, then we're no better than aggy.

Leroy Lizard
9/27/2010, 11:09 AM
Take away the poorly crafted headline and read it. Much different.

MeMyself&Me
9/27/2010, 11:09 AM

This was my first thought as well.

My second thought was that this sounds a lot like when he downplayed the home winning streak just before blowing out FSU.

85sooners
9/27/2010, 11:11 AM
:pop:

badger
9/27/2010, 11:21 AM
This was my first thought as well.

My second thought was that this sounds a lot like when he downplayed the home winning streak just before blowing out FSU.

And then we blew them out... ahhh, I hope for similar results this Saturday :D:D:D:D:D:D

PDXsooner
9/27/2010, 11:38 AM
Coachspeak. How can you be a college football fan and not understand this?

goingoneight
9/27/2010, 11:50 AM
Stoops also can be quoted as saying that the home game winning streak "doesn't matter" Tuesday before the Florida State game, too. If you watch the press conference, you'll see what little details ol' Sittler and Co. left out.

Stoops: "Doesn't matter at all, really"
Reporter: "No pride or anything like that on the line?
Stoops: "Sure there is, but it's no more pride in keeping a streak alive than it is winning the game. None of that stuff (winning streak) matters if you're not taking care of business (by focusing on beating FSU)."
Reporter: "So, you're saying the home field doesn't help?"
Stoops: "No, I'm saying none of that stuff you guys are asking about matters. You gotta take care of business to keep any kind of streak alive."

paraphrased, of course... but you get the point. If you question the convo, it's in the video archives at www.soonersports.com

badger
9/27/2010, 11:54 AM
Ja... I think he meant that winning was what was important, not the fact that there's a big home winning streak alive and well. (go us!)

In this case, I think he is once again saying that winning is the most important thing, but that it doesn't matter who the opponent is.

I have a feeling it matters a hell of a lot to our players, especially after the way they played last year short-handed. They really, really want to beat Texas. I really, really want to also :)

goingoneight
9/27/2010, 11:55 AM

No offense intended to you, but look at OUr roster. Stoops is more in Texas than most people who live there. :0

I'd bet he gets a lot more hateful crap spewed his way at Tejas HS football games than we get from the office or grocery store.

It's all coachspeak. :)

soonerborn30
9/27/2010, 12:01 PM
I don't know. If I wear my company logo around town I've got about a 50/50 shot of getting called names/yelled at. It's happened before.

I don't have a problem with what he's saying at all. Still gotta catch passes, tackle well, etc. We shouldn't be doing that just cuz it's Texas, we should be taking care of that regardless of opponent.

Joe
9/27/2010, 12:08 PM
He's actually said this for many years now. I don't know if it started after we started losing to them regularly or if it was before that. Doesn't really matter because he's right, we've won Big 12 championships even when losing to Texas.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/27/2010, 12:22 PM
Fire Stoops!! He doesn't take this game seriously enough.... ;)

Shakadoodoo
9/27/2010, 12:23 PM
I am sure you all are aware that it is just politically correct to say that.

olevetonahill
9/27/2010, 12:44 PM
Well to be fair the best phrase has already been used :D
iD96HQ_6w3M

yankee
9/27/2010, 12:52 PM
this is our biggest regular season conference game..and has been for a while now. it's a big deal to both schools, but both schools have grander aspirations. we're not texas aggy, where beating 'tu' is everything and the only thing.

Soonermagik
9/27/2010, 12:56 PM
He won't come out and say it, but it's the biggest game of the year. Since we recruit Texas so hard it's vital to win there. Being able to tell kids that you just beat their home state team sure makes them believe that OU might be a better choice.

Okie35
9/27/2010, 02:08 PM
He won't come out and say it, but it's the biggest game of the year. Since we recruit Texas so hard it's vital to win there. Being able to tell kids that you just beat their home state team sure makes them believe that OU might be a better choice.

True but really when we've lost :( we still haven't choked away the rest of the season like the whorns do most of the time.

BoulderSooner79
9/27/2010, 02:21 PM

That's the theory and it looks good on paper. But our recent class is about as good as we've ever done and the '11 class is shaping up nicely. I say lets win a few in Dallas and see if it gets even better.

VA Sooner
9/27/2010, 02:24 PM
It's not... IF you win or lose...

it's how you WIN it that counts!

OKLA21FAN
9/28/2010, 11:40 AM
Note to Bob:

since sexat lost last week, this is not a 'big game'..... carry on. :pop:

Booner
9/28/2010, 11:55 AM
Everything points to another beatdown of bevo. I think Bob wants to minimize the giddiness so that we don't get overconfident.

KantoSooner
9/28/2010, 03:18 PM
I admit I wish they were undefeated coming in; but beating Texas is still beating Texas.
In a way, it's kind of like chocolate syrup and whipped cream on a sundae, you don't just touch the ice cream, you slather it on.
Something single-digitish for them and something above 70 for us would be about right.
I hope our coaching staff is utterly unconcerned with appearances and leaves the foot on the accelerator all day long.

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 03:34 PM
Beating a Texas team that just lost? Sounds like sloppy seconds.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/28/2010, 05:10 PM
Beating a Texas team that just lost? Sounds like sloppy seconds.
but at least you're getting laid

StoopTroup
9/28/2010, 05:27 PM
If Bob Hangs a 100 on em for 5 years straight...all is forgiven. :D

Okie35
9/28/2010, 06:55 PM
but at least you're getting laid

:D :D

starclassic tama
9/28/2010, 07:18 PM
It's not... IF you win or lose...

it's how you WIN it that counts!

no, in this game it's definitely if you win or lose.

i'd gladly take a 5-4 win over texas

heavyrider
9/28/2010, 07:41 PM
My first thought was this sounds exactly the way Mack Brown spoke every year when we were killing them. He knew he was going to loose and was doing damage control a week early. I HATE THIS WEAK TALK.

HR

bluedogok
9/28/2010, 10:05 PM
No offense intended to you, but look at OUr roster. Stoops is more in Texas than most people who live there. :0

I'd bet he gets a lot more hateful crap spewed his way at Tejas HS football games than we get from the office or grocery store.

It's all coachspeak. :)
In 7.5 years of living in Austin I have had one derogatory comment and it was by a couple of high school aged looking punks in their jacked up redneck wagon...I just laughed at them because it was so stupid. Stood there and waited for a retort and they just took off the other way. My wife gets more grief being a Tech alum than I do as a Sooner alum. I got a little more grief in Dallas when I lived there in the early 90's, I still think the further they get away from Austin the more obnoxious they get.

I don't think Bob catches much grief...

oumartin
9/28/2010, 10:12 PM
Yep, Bobby is downplaying a could be loss sounds like to me. I hate it. Stoopsie has lost his edge and it's reflected in the product on the field.

Sad days in Norman. Sad days indeed.