PDA

View Full Version : DART to Fair Park

yukonsooner
9/27/2010, 10:22 AM
Can any of you in Dallas give me some info on this. Since I got tickets late, I'm trying to find a hotel close to a DART line that would get me to the fairgrounds and keep me from having to fight all the incoming and outgoing traffic.

Phil
9/27/2010, 10:24 AM
You might want to rethink that if you want to actually make it in time for the game.

Fraggle145
9/27/2010, 10:24 AM
Here's some advice... Dont take the DART.

It got us to the game 15minutes late last year.

jumperstop
9/27/2010, 10:26 AM
DART sucks, don't do it. My bro tried convincing me to park at one of stations and take that to the game last year, and I told him we should just park at the fair even though there was traffic. Glad we did cause otherwise we probably wouldn't have been able to get tickets in time to get into the stadium. A lot of people were late last year and there was a big uproar from a ton of fans.

TahoeSOONER
9/27/2010, 10:27 AM
Hyatt Regency at Reunion is tits and DART runs right next to it. Great bars also. Right next to the west end if ya want to get rowdy and walk to it.

Don't dart to the game!!!! It screwed people last year but cab in and DART out

auto
9/27/2010, 10:28 AM
You might want to rethink that if you want to actually make it in time for the game.

This, trust me, no amount of money could convince me of this. Doing a car service this year. Last year I was sold a bill of goods. You can't leave early enough for DART to get you there. Total cluster****.

yukonsooner
9/27/2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the info. It's been several years since we've been to the game and I just remember the nightmare of parking. I'm concerned about vandalism on my car since my tag shows I'm a diehard sooner fan. Are there better places to park than I remember? I'm willing to pay extra.

RacerX
9/27/2010, 10:34 AM
I've always parked at the fair parking and never had a vandalism issue.

Last year I remember a lot of people waiting to leave on dart after the game. Looked horrible.

NightFlyerDFW
9/27/2010, 10:37 AM
They allegedly fixed the issues from last year but I wouldn't touch DART rail with a ten foot pole until it's been running smooth for a couple years at least.

texaspokieokie
9/27/2010, 10:45 AM
be careful where you park. last year or maybe the year before, lots of cars were illegally towed. maybe there was "no parking " signs but they may have been obscured. maybe they were put up after people left their cars, or maybe they never existed. there was a furor after the game. it costs a fortune.

jharkins
9/27/2010, 11:14 AM
If you want DART info you can find it on their website

http://dart.org/statefair/statefair.asp?zeon=DARTHomePage

Scroll down to "GREEN LINE SERVICE FOR SATURDAY, OCTOBER 2 AND SATURDAY, OCTOBER 9"

The recognize last year was terrible but have adjusted for this year. Should be a lot better.

yermom
9/27/2010, 11:25 AM
took the DART last year and got there fine, but i guess we started early. we leisurely walked around. i don't remember rushing to the game or anything

getting out was the nightmare. driving isn't THAT bad...

85sooners
9/27/2010, 11:37 AM
:texan:

thesnowbishop
9/27/2010, 11:41 AM
Can't remember the name of the school where we park, but it's always been safe to my knowledge. And they should charge more, I think it's only $10.

sluggo sooner
9/27/2010, 11:57 AM
took the DART last year and got there fine, but i guess we started early. we leisurely walked around. i don't remember rushing to the game or anything

I had the same experience. We left a little early and got there in plenty of time. And, since I didn't have to drive, I did not have to monitor my intake of adult beverages.

The problem last year seemed to be that the trains were full by the time that they got close to down town - so if you were getting on towards the end of the line and close to game time, you were screwed. The line goes all the way to Plano now. There are hotels along the line in Plano. If you stayed at one of those and got on in Plano you probably would not have any trouble.

cdlbdd
9/27/2010, 12:03 PM
We rode it last year with no problem. The key is getting on as far away from fair park as possible.

sluggo sooner
9/27/2010, 12:05 PM
We rode it last year with no problem. The key is getting on as far away from fair park as possible.

/\

What he said.

OKC-SLC
9/27/2010, 12:46 PM
DART was very delayed in 2008; didn't go last year. But if last year was late, they didn't fix the problems from 08. I wouldn't bet on them fixing jack this year.

soonermix
9/27/2010, 01:34 PM

and the line was so long after the game we didn't even bother getting back on the DART fail to get back to the car.

Fraggle145
9/27/2010, 01:40 PM
and the line was so long after the game we didn't even bother getting back on the DART fail to get back to the car.

Yep FAIL DART.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/redriver/texas/stories/102009dnmetdartgreenline.231527c13.html

They can only get about 12,000 people there within a 4 hour period. Ther ride there isnt as bed as the ride out though. That looked like about an 8 hour line. We said **** it and took a cab.

C&CDean
9/27/2010, 02:20 PM
We have parked on the 1400 Block of McKenzie St. for several years now. It's $10, and we've never had an issue.

It's also the closest place you can park to the stadium itself. It's about 100 yards from the gate right next to the Cotton Bowl. If you hate a fair like I do, this is very important. The only "fair" crap I've gotta look at is the stuff I enjoy. Ag barn, John Deere tractors, the fat hog with the huge nuts, and the horses.

No midway, no rides, no toothless tweaker carnies pimping me to throw some darts, no nothing. I don't buy a single ticket or eat or drink a single thing in that POS. I buy some water at the game, and that's it. The second the game is over, I head for the gate, get in the truck, and head back North. Once I am a reasonable distance from that filthy hole (about 2 1/2 hours North) I have myself a good meal and some strong drinks. If we win, I watch the DVR.

IB4OU2
9/27/2010, 02:31 PM
If we win, I watch the DVR.

So you recorded the hog with the big nuts...didn't you? :D

C&CDean
9/27/2010, 02:37 PM
So you recorded the hog with the big nuts...didn't you? :D

Heh. I've got pics of him, me, and that fag from Jay Leno....Ross the Intern.

GKeeper316
9/27/2010, 02:39 PM

i've heard stories of people missing the game entirely due to dallas' public transportation system.

my advice... take a cab or rent a car for the day.

Soonerfan88
9/27/2010, 02:47 PM
I'll be getting on at Galatyn Station so should be good on the ride in and will stay to enjoy the fair after the game so hopefully the lines will have thinned out a little by that evening.

TexasLidig8r
9/27/2010, 02:53 PM
Take Central Expressway to I-30 east and go for the Second Avenue exit.

That way isn't crowded at all.

TopDawg
9/27/2010, 03:28 PM

Same here. Got there fine, but was packed in like a sardine. The ride was miserable, but we got there in plenty of time. Leaving was a nightmare, but at least we got to sit down on the way back.

We decided it's not worth it this year so we're driving.

sooner59
9/27/2010, 03:36 PM
We took DART last year. I thought last year was the first year it went to Fair Park. Anyway, we left downtown and parked at a different station and rode it to Fair Park with no problems. However, leaving was terrible.

Apparently they had the trains running the same schedule as any other day with no extra trains going to the Fair. FAIL! It was on the news and in the papers about how bad it was. Supposedly they have had several practice runs to fix the problem this year. We'll see.

How could you underestimate the amount of people going to and from the fair during OU-tx?

instigator
9/27/2010, 07:48 PM

Yep. Got there easy last year. It took forever to get out though. I've taken it for the last 6 years and never got there late. I was always a few hours early. Part of what helped was that we got on in Plano at the first stop so there was room for us. It was full before we hit LBJ.

This year they are running buses from 3-5 different places instead of just the one. That should help.

You're driving Dave! :D

yermom
9/27/2010, 07:53 PM
driving year before last was awful. i was running hella late and parked in a very questionable neighborhood and then was boxed in for like an hour

OUstud
9/27/2010, 08:26 PM
I left the Sheraton/Adams Mark at like 8:30 last year, and the DART had us there by around 9 or 9:15. Just leave around 10:30 or 11 and you'll be fine. And since it's a later game, there'll be a larger range of time that people will be going, so traffic will probably be lighter.

The Ghost of Mex
10/2/2010, 10:13 PM
The DART rocked my world all weekend long...it was magical.

yankee
10/2/2010, 10:18 PM
The DART rocked my world all weekend long...it was magical.

this.

DART fixed whatever problems they've encountered over the years. i'll recommend anyone to take the DART route from now on. major props.

sooner59
10/2/2010, 11:48 PM
The DART had special event trains going straight to the Fair and Straight back. It also had regular red lines that we took and never had one problem. Just had to hop off at Pearl Station and ride the DART bus the rest of the way, which was no problem. They actually had more trains, non-stop trains to the fair, and busses running. It was pretty smooth and only cost $4 per person for an all day pass whether train or bus. Not bad.

colinreturn
10/2/2010, 11:53 PM
overall great experience with the TRE and DART. awesome.

Fraggle145
10/5/2011, 02:19 PM
So did anyone else take the FAIL DART last year?

Dean, you still park over on McKenzie? what time you gotta get there to get a space?

LVSOONER15
10/5/2011, 02:39 PM
DART

dmac75287
10/5/2011, 04:35 PM
Stay away from DART: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/traffic/092010-dart-steps-up-texas-ou-transit

badger
10/5/2011, 04:39 PM
I just lurked at shaggybevo and they are also saying "AVOIDAVOIDAVOID" to the DART idea.

SoonerPride
10/5/2011, 04:44 PM
DART is offering nonstop busses at four locations around the metroplex.

To respond to expected crowding on DART Rail, special bus service to the fair will be operated from these stations: Bush Turnpike Station (Red Line), Mockingbird Station (Red, Blue), and Trinity Mills Station (Green Line). Those buses will depart every 10 minutes. Buses from St. Paul Station will leave every five minutes.

http://www.dart.org/statefair/statefair.asp?zeon=redriverrivalry

I'd be more inclined to load one of those that drop you off at the gate and don't stop at 15 stops along the way.

Still after my experience two years ago I'm never trusting their trains again.

Period.

fwsooner22
10/5/2011, 04:48 PM
Go early. It never ever fails.

SoonerPride
10/5/2011, 04:54 PM
Go early. It never ever fails.

Four hours early in 2009 and missed the first quarter.

DART fails.

yankee
10/5/2011, 05:21 PM
Took the TRE and DART buses last year and it worked perfectly. My friends and I will be doing that again this year.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/5/2011, 05:31 PM
DART for a morning game is a bad idea. Everyone trying to get to the fair at same time equals epic fail as was proven in 2009.

Soonerfan88
10/5/2011, 08:06 PM
I used one of the first few stations last year and didn't have to get there at the crack of dawn. It was crowded but not unbearable. We wandered around after the game and caught some of the latest trains back - again crowded but we didn't have that long of a wait.

However, this year you won't get me near DART. An 11am game does not give them enough time to move that many people before kickoff.

C&CDean
10/5/2011, 08:39 PM
1400 block of McKenzie. Every year for the past 15. $10, about 150 yards from the entrance right next to the stadium. Seriously, only an idiot would park anywhere else.

Fraggle145
10/6/2011, 06:32 PM
1400 block of McKenzie. Every year for the past 15. $10, about 150 yards from the entrance right next to the stadium. Seriously, only an idiot would park anywhere else.

Cool. We'll be parking there this year. What time you gotta get there to get a spot?

colleyvillesooner
10/6/2011, 08:21 PM
Dean!! Pipe down about that spot!!

SoonerstuckinKansas
10/6/2011, 09:35 PM
DART is a good option if you get on super EARLY to go to the game. But your wait to get on the DART after the game is unreasonably long (at least about 3 hours). Just drive to Fair Park and park somewhere kinda' close.

PrideMom
10/7/2011, 07:08 AM
3 years ago they were asking $40 for parking, so the following year we tried to take the train from Arlington, and missed the first quarter, after getting off and WALKING (running) 3 miles, because the train had broken down. Last year we drove all the way down town (take Commerce in) and found a lovely parking lot by high rise apartments, and had no problem with the Fair Park Dart.....

But I think the problem this year is the 11:00 AM kick-off....

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/7/2011, 07:47 AM
I always just cab it

pphilfran
10/7/2011, 07:50 AM
If you have to get up at the azz crack of dawn to ride Dart you should just drive to the game since there will be little traffic that early...

Getting out is far more difficult than getting there...drink a few beers for an hour or so and avoid the rush after the game...