PDA

View Full Version : spent the weekend in Austin as a 'horn fan'

OKLA21FAN
9/26/2010, 08:16 PM
Over the years, by RVing at fair park, we have made many horn friends. One horn friend in particular has been trying for a couple of years to get me and Mrs Okla21fan to Austin for a home Horn game. Well, this weekend was it. One thing that I agreed (and wanted) to do, was to where Horn gear each day and experience a 'horn weekend' as a fan.

We pulled the trusty RV into Austin on Thursday evening, and got set up with the other 'rolling horns' by 7 o'clock. My buddies have a time honored tradition to frequent a local 'mens' club and who was I to break tradition? So off we went. While the 'talent' was not that great it had been a while since I got a couple a free lap dances care of my hosts. :D

Friday rolls around and we spent the day walking around the UT campus and downtown and 6th street. (its pretty quiet there in the afternoons) That night our hosts took us for dinner and drinks at the 'Longhorn Club' at DKR Stadium. Very nice dinner, complete with a pep band, cheer leaders in their 'chaps' :pop: and a quick visit from Dodds (I even got to shake his hand and when our hosts explained who and what I was, he said 'we have been known to have an Okie or two on the team. Welcome aboard' )

Sat was pretty much the same routine for Rvers as in Norman. cooking food, a few beers and watching gameday on ESPin. The walk (about a mile) to the stadium was not crowded and flowed pretty good. Once inside the stadium (we got there about 5 minutes before the pre-game band festivities) the 1st thing I notices we the empty seats (no wonder they have shirts to remind them to 'come early')

I really expected more energy from the UT pre-game. Like the game, there was not much excitement. Very bland and it just seemed like everyone was going through the motions. The only thing the 'saved' the pre-game was the pre-game video. It was really well done, and had a good mix of history and tradition.

The stadium as a whole was never really 'loud'. Only once or twice the whole game did I think the crowd was making an impact on UCLA (or even UT for that matter)

By halftime it was obvious that the home time was in trouble. and the UT band might have been more unprepared. They marched out on the field, played Texas Fight, and that 'marchiouso grandiouso' dealio (which is pretty cool though), then marched off the field. I looked at the clock and there was still 9 minutes left in the halftime! So the band promptly walked around the endzone to the sidelines and lined up waiting for the team to return for the 2nd half. That was the halftime show!!!! (hire brian britt???)

During the 2nd half I pretty much keep my snickering to myself but it was pretty funny to watch the meltdown of fans around me. (just like some OU fans do too)

We stayed till the end, and watched the couple of thousand Horn fans sing 'the Eyes' with the team after the game, the proceeded back to the RV area. It was pretty cool hearing the UCLA fans that sat in the upper deck, hooping and hollering it up as the walked down the 'never ending' ramps.

For the most part, the UT fans were gracious in their defeat, and I see many UCLA fans get 'thanks for coming, you were the best team' words for the orange clad.

Sat night was spent back in the RV area watching late games (and catching the 2nd half of the Cinn game) and even though we didn't look good, the horn fans are not looking forward to this Saturday. :texan:

Now I need to go to confession for all the sins I committed this weekend. But it was the only big 12 stadium I have not been too. Check that on off the list.

Boomer!

Collier11
9/26/2010, 08:17 PM
Over the years, by RVing at fair park, we have made many horn friends. One horn friend in particular has been trying for a couple of years to get me and Mrs Okla21fan to Austin for a home Horn game. Well, this weekend was it. One thing that I agreed (and wanted) to do, was to where Horn gear each day and experience a 'horn weekend' as a fan.

We pulled the trusty RV into Austin on Thursday evening, and got set up with the other 'rolling horns' by 7 o'clock. My buddies have a time honored tradition to frequent a local 'mens' club and who was I to break tradition? So off we went. While the 'talent' was not that great it had been a while since I got a couple a free lap dances care of my hosts. :D

Friday rolls around and we spent the day walking around the UT campus and downtown and 6th street. (its pretty quiet there in the afternoons) That night our hosts took us for dinner and drinks at the 'Longhorn Club' at DKR Stadium. Very nice dinner, complete with a pep band, cheer leaders in their 'chaps' :pop: and a quick visit from Dodds (I even got to shake his hand and when our hosts explained who and what I was, he said 'we have been known to have an Okie or two on the team. Welcome aboard' )

Sat was pretty much the same routine for Rvers as in Norman. cooking food, a few beers and watching gameday on ESPin. The walk (about a mile) to the stadium was not crowded and flowed pretty good. Once inside the stadium (we got there about 5 minutes before the pre-game band festivities) the 1st thing I notices we the empty seats (no wonder they have shirts to remind them to 'come early')

I really expected more energy from the UT pre-game. Like the game, there was not much excitement. Very bland and it just seemed like everyone was going through the motions. The only thing the 'saved' the pre-game was the pre-game video. It was really well done, and had a good mix of history and tradition.

The stadium as a whole was never really 'loud'. Only once or twice the whole game did I think the crowd was making an impact on UCLA (or even UT for that matter)

By halftime it was obvious that the home time was in trouble. and the UT band might have been more unprepared. They marched out on the field, played Texas Fight, and that 'marchiouso grandiouso' dealio (which is pretty cool though), then marched off the field. I looked at the clock and there was still 9 minutes left in the halftime! So the band promptly walked around the endzone to the sidelines and lined up waiting for the team to return for the 2nd half. That was the halftime show!!!! (hire brian britt???)

During the 2nd half I pretty much keep my snickering to myself but it was pretty funny to watch the meltdown of fans around me. (just like some OU fans do too)

We stayed till the end, and watched the couple of thousand Horn fans sing 'the Eyes' with the team after the game, the proceeded back to the RV area. It was pretty cool hearing the UCLA fans that sat in the upper deck, hooping and hollering it up as the walked down the 'never ending' ramps.

For the most part, the UT fans were gracious in their defeat, and I see many UCLA fans get 'thanks for coming, you were the best team' words for the orange clad.

Sat night was spent back in the RV area watching late games (and catching the 2nd half of the Cinn game) and even though we didn't look good, the horn fans are not looking forward to this Saturday. :texan:

Now I need to go to confession for all the sins I committed this weekend. But it was the only big 12 stadium I have not been too. Check that on off the list.

Boomer!

You lost me at One thing that I agreed (and wanted) to do, was to where Horn gear each day and experience a 'horn weekend' as a fan.

You're dead to me, no self respecting Sooner Fan would ever subject their self to this

CrimsonRez
9/26/2010, 08:20 PM
:X ....you wore what?????

StoopTroup
9/26/2010, 08:22 PM
Wouldn't be caught dead in whorn gear. That stuff is for guys like Raw Ling Ghey Fan.

OKLA21FAN
9/26/2010, 08:26 PM
You're dead to me,
damn it! (did you tear your shirt collar when saying that?) :pop:

XingTheRubicon
9/26/2010, 08:26 PM
Yeah, have to agree with Collier, unless I'm planting the ebola virus in bellmont, I can't think of any logical reason I'd wear that baby sh*t color.

OKLA21FAN
9/26/2010, 08:28 PM
if it is any consolation, I did change into my 'game day gear' when we got back to the RV after the game, and watched the Sooner 2nd half feeling much cleaner and better about myself. :pop:

StoopTroup
9/26/2010, 08:29 PM
I feel sick to my stomach.

KBoomer11
9/26/2010, 08:31 PM
I would have gone with a neutral shirt. But I appreciate the write up, it's cool to hear how it's done at other Big 12 campuses on gamedays.

bluedogok
9/26/2010, 08:35 PM
I have had offers to go but haven't yet...none of those included the wearing of Whorn gear though. Some have talked about wanting to go to an OU game sometime but I would never ask them to wear anything but whatever they wanted to wear. Next year we may try and go to the Tech game, my wife has been in Austin for 20 years and has yet to see Tech play here.

Crucifax Autumn
9/26/2010, 08:38 PM
You misspelled whorn.

TXBOOMER
9/26/2010, 08:39 PM
I went to a horn Baylor game a few years back ago with a friend of mine. Very dull crowd in my opinion. He offered a horn shirt to me which I politely declined. Maybe you were there good luck charm.

OKLA21FAN
9/26/2010, 08:51 PM
btw
the Horn band (like OU) has flags from all the big 12 schools. Someone needs to tell Joe C that they are using an 'illegal' logo!!! :gary:

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/33/793/full/2556.gif

MamaMia
9/26/2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks for sharing how it all happens there in Austin. It was very interesting, but you have to promise me that you will never EVER wear orange again.

proudsoonergal
9/26/2010, 08:55 PM
I've been to a few games at DKR. Have NEVER worn orange. That's just WRONG.

Has the intro video gotten better? Is it still a bunch of fake looking cows running through Austin?

PLaw
9/26/2010, 08:56 PM
You lost me at One thing that I agreed (and wanted) to do, was to where Horn gear each day and experience a 'horn weekend' as a fan.

You're dead to me, no self respecting Sooner Fan would ever subject their self to this

Ditto. I own nothing orange. I won't let my wife or kids wear anything orange. The longhorn is the sign of the devil. The thread must be shut down and banned.

Break 'em, cut 'em, fry 'em, eat 'em.

BOOMER

OKLA21FAN
9/26/2010, 08:59 PM
Has the intro video gotten better? Is it still a bunch of fake looking cows running through Austin?

they did show that one, followed by one that showed clips from the 'old days'. It had a lot more 'stuff' to it.

turner78
9/26/2010, 09:05 PM
WOW! I did't think any SELF RESPECTING Sooner would wear such a thing. On a lighter note great post, I cant believe the fans weren't "rabid" like our GREAT FANS!

bakerjrb
9/26/2010, 09:12 PM
One thing that I agreed (and wanted) to do, was to where Horn gear each day and experience a 'horn weekend' as a fan.

Some things are beyond the pale....and this is one of them.

Nothing orange will ever hang in my closet.

A few years ago, my wife wanted some fancy "Fiesta Ware" plates and bowls for everyday use - she chose 4 colors, one of which was called "persimmon", and it is way too close to orange for me - I refuse to eat off of those, and my wife knows to put out one of the other three colors for me.

I don't want one UT shirt....I want two....one to $h!t on, and the other to cover it up with.

But....since you were such a good luck charm for the 'horns yesterday, you HAVE to promise the board that you'll wear a Texas shirt again this coming Saturday - hopefully, you'll have the same effect on their execution that you did against UCLA....

BOOMER!

jrb

Soonermagik
9/26/2010, 09:15 PM
You aren't an OU fan.. please ban this impostor!!

bluedogok
9/26/2010, 09:21 PM
Nothing orange will ever hang in my closet.
The only orange stuff that I have is some Denver Broncos stuff but I don't buy any of the stuff with the bright orange as a base. Most of it is navy or gray base, I just can't bring myself to buy the orange stuff...too close to OSU orange.

soonerinabilene
9/26/2010, 09:23 PM
so you wear UT stuff and pretend to be one of their fans, and they lose? hmm.... want to do that again this week by chance?

PLaw
9/26/2010, 09:26 PM

Yeah, and you didn't take that opportunity to remind that arse that his stadium was named after a SOONER???? That was a fail. Welcome aboard???

BOOMER

jumperstop
9/26/2010, 09:39 PM
I would never wear Texas ****. But I guess if you think of it more like going undercover, it makes it seem like reconnaissance work for next weeks game.

Crucifax Autumn
9/26/2010, 10:00 PM
I even get pissed when the wife buys orange crush.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/26/2010, 10:02 PM
You misspelled whorn.

A number of times.

21, you better tell us that you're a pretty dang good HS or small college football coach who had a bye last week and that you were carefully watching and stealing Mus-chump's defensive signals, or I don't know that we've got much use for you anymore.

[mutters to self]Wearin' f****in' whorn sh*t.. what in the ever lovin' name of George Lynn Cross has gotten into you, boy...@%&#&%....[/mutters to self]

Peach Fuzz
9/26/2010, 10:10 PM
can't really come up with anything to say... except **** texas.

SoonerKnight
9/26/2010, 10:17 PM
**** saxet **** them **** them!!!!!

SoonerKnight
9/26/2010, 10:18 PM
Orange seriously!?!? Nice story interesting but really and why did you only catch the second half of the Sooners?!?!? Stayed to watch the whorns!?!?!? Got to be **** ing kidding me!?!?!?!?

Peach Fuzz
9/26/2010, 10:32 PM
umm he was invited to the game with some good friends... read the story and stop acting like a pist off teen...

OK2LA
9/26/2010, 11:03 PM
Dude, I can't believe that any self-respecting Sooner fan would EVER wear any colors from any other school - let alone tejas.

I can't really believe that you either did it, or a Sooner fan.

I do have a serious question for you though -

Did you attend the University of Oklahoma?

I know that this has been one of those questions posed on here before about "real fans" and the like, and "sidewalk alumni", but I'd like to know if you went to OU. If you did - did you graduate from OU?

To be honest, I'm a little scared of what the answer might be.

Peach Fuzz
9/27/2010, 12:01 AM
... so everyone act like a hardass and jump on the wagon for him wearing that crap... big deal, so what, he's posting on SF and he's been here for a while. What was he supposed to do wear OU atire? Maybe, the way he wrote the article, he wanted to have the experience as a horn fan to see what it was like... and why are you asking if he attended ou? he wrote an article about a texas game experience geez... would you blow him if he did?

end rant :)

Collier11
9/27/2010, 12:16 AM
WRONG...I would never under any circumstances where burnt orange, I dont own anything orange. I sure as hell would never put on ut gear, going to the game isnt that big of a deal, donning the gear is horrible

Peach Fuzz
9/27/2010, 12:19 AM
I guess 21 fan just keep those extra details to yourself next time... traitor:rolleyes:

Collier11
9/27/2010, 12:23 AM
Never said he was a traitor, never said he cant continue to be an OU fan. I would just never wear ut crap, ever. Why not just wear something neutral, why do you have to wear the ut crap?

Okla21 and I get along btw, I dont dislike him at all. I just dont understand the motivation

unbiasedtruth
9/27/2010, 12:23 AM
i was in Austin, nw Austin, diving at Lake Travis this past weekend. I wore a OU hat and shirt most of the time...

wish I had a UCLA t-shirt to wear this morning (sunday).

Peach Fuzz
9/27/2010, 12:27 AM
ha thats what osu fans do when we lose... aggy ;)

and C11 I wasn't making that point towards you... just don't get why people say the exact same thing the previous post said... He prolly gets it

Collier11
9/27/2010, 12:30 AM
Cus everyone has an opinion and its his punishment. Hopefully next time he will know better :D

unbiasedtruth
9/27/2010, 12:34 AM
ha thats what osu fans do when we lose... aggy ;)

and C11 I wasn't making that point towards you... just don't get why people say the exact same thing the previous post said... He prolly gets it

uh..... 2005 RRSO, lots of whorn fans were there wearing TCU hats and shirts...

last year saw a few Cane and BYU gear being worn by whorn fans...

olevetonahill
9/27/2010, 12:34 AM
Fuzzy we keep on at him in case he dont get it :P
Hell Id rather be drug across the desert neked as to ever wear any thing Puke orange :eek:

sooner59
9/27/2010, 12:35 AM
A Sooner fan wore burnt orange for any possible reason.

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0811/facepalm-demotivational-poster-1226799057.jpg

olevetonahill
9/27/2010, 12:36 AM
uh..... 2005 RRSO, lots of whorn fans were there wearing TCU hats and shirts...

last year saw a few Cane and BYU gear being worn by whorn fans...

PSSST fuzzy is to dayum young to have the HATE that he will later on in life .:pop:

Peach Fuzz
9/27/2010, 12:41 AM
hmmm if I would rather hug someone with bombs strapped to them than someone with a burnt orange on, is that hate?

SteelCitySooner
9/27/2010, 12:51 AM
I agree with all. Sooners never wear that burnt orange ****..

Although, I have a confession.. I lost a bet to last year's RR.. The bet was the loser has to post a pic of him with the winners jersey on FB for one week.. Well,, it's been a year and I ain't paid up yet. Not cuz I don't wanna honor the bet, but I just don't have a damn whorn jersey or have any friends or know anyone that has one..

sooner59
9/27/2010, 12:57 AM

Although, I have a confession.. I lost a bet to last year's RR.. The bet was the loser has to post a pic of him with the winners jersey on FB for one week.. Well,, it's been a year and I ain't paid up yet. Not cuz I don't wanna honor the bet, but I just don't have a damn whorn jersey or have any friends or know anyone that has one..

It wasn't in the bet that you have to buy it. If they provide it, you can honor it, if not....too ****in bad. :D

Collier11
9/27/2010, 12:57 AM
Steel, if you was smart you would have made the bet that if ut won, you would bang some ut chicks, if OU won, youd bang some OU chicks :D

hawaii 5-0
9/27/2010, 01:45 AM
I have a special rust colored t-shirt. Whenever the wax ring on the toilet needs replacing I pull out that shirt and stuff it down the hole till the new ring is in place. It does a wonderful job for what it was intended.

It's also very good at getting the grime off of car wheels and cleaning scum out of rain gutters.

I really love that rust colored t-shirt.

5-0

GKeeper316
9/27/2010, 03:01 AM
The only orange stuff that I have is some Denver Broncos stuff but I don't buy any of the stuff with the bright orange as a base. Most of it is navy or gray base, I just can't bring myself to buy the orange stuff...too close to OSU orange.

i had to ditch the bears because of the orange. i just couldnt do it anymore. i've been a bears fan since i was 3.

and **** *

i woulda worn my OU gear, and played boomer sooner on my phone every five minutes.

SicEmBaylor
9/27/2010, 03:19 AM
I've never had any desire in any shape, form, or fashion to wear another team's ****ty-*** logo or colors. I can't begin to imagine why anyone would ever want to wear puke orange.

AlbqSooner
9/27/2010, 06:50 AM
There was a book in the '60s titled "Black Like Me". Makes about as much sense.

unbiasedtruth
9/27/2010, 06:54 AM
There was a book in the '60s titled "Black Like Me". Makes about as much sense.

written by the father of a good friend of mine.... and the book is still around today in print, both soft and electronic copy. friend collects a pretty decent royalty off this book and other written by his father...

oh btw the friend is a big whorn fan too.... as he was part of the dive club diving this weekend he too was in Austin and had to suffer a little grief about the "score"

ousooners182
9/27/2010, 06:54 AM
I dont want to say what everyone else is saying but....

wearing longhorns apparel???
makes no sense lol.

why not go there wearing ou head to toe and be proud and represent being a sooner rather than wondering what it feels like to be a longhorn

carry on

OKLA21FAN
9/27/2010, 07:27 AM
Okla21 and I get along btw, I dont dislike him at all. I just dont understand the motivationFor the experience :pop:
I figure if this guy can give the 'hookems', I can experience a weekend very few Sooner fans get the opportunity to do.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/RwTb_6WsF0I/AAAAAAAACro/0apqB2_8Iv8/s400/Hookedem2.jpg

ousooners182
9/27/2010, 07:36 AM
For the experience :pop:
I figure if this guy can give the 'hookems', I can experience a weekend very few Sooner fans get the opportunity to do.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/RwTb_6WsF0I/AAAAAAAACro/0apqB2_8Iv8/s400/Hookedem2.jpg

what do u mean?? that is merely barry switzer at a heavy metal rock concert doing the devil sign...thats all i see :cool:

SCSooner71
9/27/2010, 07:46 AM
I just threw up in my mouth.....you are demented!

delhalew
9/27/2010, 07:53 AM

I lost a bet one time that resulted in my wearing a whorn hat for all of 1 minute. Unfortunately, it also involved the taking of a photo:eek: . One of the most miserable experiences of my life. Luckily, I had achieved a level of durnkiness that allowed me to bounce back pretty quickly.

I shudder at he thought of donning burnt orange and going out in public. I can only imagine the identity crisis that would result.

Anyway...thanks for sharing hornfan21:D

Soonerntxs
9/27/2010, 08:00 AM
Ok, the real story is: While you went to the "mens" club, a * cheer cow put a MICKEY in your beer and while she slugged your leg and MOOOED in your ear while lapping your lobes, she wispered "YOU ARE A whorn, A nasty whorn and YOU WILL WEAR ORANGE WHILE AT THE GAME!" Meanwhile: Your "friends" took pictures of your drug infested a** and posted them on youtube!
Then you, feeling the ill effects of the date rape drugs that those "friends", (probably paid to have put in your beer), also felling dirty and ashamed and knowing that in your weakness you allowed yourself to become a dirty * & now come before the "FANS OF THE TEAM OF 7" and beg forgivness!

OK, wish 5 hail marrys for TD's this weekend and salute the * flag with double whorns down signs and YELL BOOMER SOOMER 10 times & for the love of all things SOONER pledge you will never wear that baby puke o color ever again! FORGIVEN!

NOW, drive that RV to Dallas and lets whoop that whorn a**!

Jboozer
9/27/2010, 09:19 AM
***hole. Just kidding. But seriously! WTF, you should have worn some good quality crimson gear, and taken the flak they gave you, then, when they were gettin whipped, you can cheer even louder.

pilobolus
9/27/2010, 09:34 AM
Well, he came to the right place, considering how this "OU" message board has coddled and catered to stinking whorns over the years like Peter Gardere, Tig, Herr, and Lid among others.

jumperstop
9/27/2010, 09:40 AM
Man you people a tearing the poor guy a new one. Just cause you would never wear horn gear doesn't mean you have to rip on him.

P.s. Next time omit the horn cloths wearing part for your own good, these people are brutal.

TexasLidig8r
9/27/2010, 09:47 AM
I can't begin to imagine why anyone would ever want to wear puke orange.

Because they went to and graduated from, one of the more academically elite universities in the United States maybe?

and dude.. you attended Baylor. You aren't allowed to hate Texas. We certainly don't hate y'all. You're just that cute little school in Waco that gives aggy so many problems.

OKLA21FAN
9/27/2010, 09:49 AM
Man you people a tearing the poor guy a new one. Just cause you would never wear horn gear doesn't mean you have to rip on him.

P.s. Next time omit the horn cloths wearing part for your own good, these people are brutal.

It doesn't bother me. When I was in my 20s I probably would have reacted in the same manner, but as one grows older, perspective seems to take precedent. I had very nice hosts, ones that would not let me pay for anything (and I means anything) over the course of 3 days. IT was a small gesture on my part, and something that they appreciated.

Now there are plans for them to attend a game in Norman in the next couple of years. So its all good. :pop:

C&CDean
9/27/2010, 10:09 AM
A Death Eater slapped an Imperius curse on you didn't he?

soonerboomer93
9/27/2010, 10:29 AM
so you wear UT stuff and pretend to be one of their fans, and they lose? hmm.... want to do that again this week by chance?

I was actually thinking the same

Knippz
9/27/2010, 11:15 AM
You're going to hell. I won't get down on you, because God's punishment to you will be enough.

pilobolus
9/27/2010, 01:41 PM
Because they went to and graduated from, one of the more academically elite universities in the United States maybe?

I think the OP is a ***** who was afraid to represent in OU gear in Austin.

And Lid, like everything else in Texass, UT-Austin's quality of academics is greatly overblown. It's just like any other university, the quality of the education/research varies from college to college and professor to professor. It's the same principle as with football players, the more people you have, the more good (and bad, and in between) players/professors/students/whatevers you are going to find.