PDA

View Full Version : After 4 Weeks...

OU_Sooners75
9/26/2010, 03:19 PM
here are some of my observations....

First let me just state that I am estatic that OU is 4-0 and still has plenty of things to work on, so they are definitely not playing their best football right now.

With that said, I have seen some problem areas, which all can very much be corrected.

1. Landry Jones seems to get happy feet sometimes. Sometimes he does not trust his protection. Each week it seems to be getting better, but still has times in games where he hurries throws for no reason.

2. The Oline seems unable to have a consistency that would make them a very very good Oline. I cannot really put my finger on it, but they seem to be very poor run blockers. That and against Cincy, they seemed to be very wornout or tired by the end of the game.

3. We definitely are missing the likes of Gerald McCoy. We do not have a DT that can blow up the OLine. Youth is what seems to be our problem on the DL and it is effecting our ability to stop the run and is putting a lot of pressure on the DBs. Our Secondary would be awesome if we can get a better pass rush.

4. Kicking game. mainly the FGs and PATs. It is good to see the PKs making some FGs this year, but why can't we get some consitency, maybe I am still spoiled from the likes of Hartley.

5. I am by no means bagging on any coach, but it seems the coaches have lost their killer instinct or they are just trying to keep everything pretty simple on our youth. If it is the latter, then IMO, it is showing some distrust in our players abilities. However, I really want to believe that the coaches are trying to save some things before unleashing it on Texas and our conference foes. 3rd and 8, up by 2, and you run the ball when you have only averaged 2.4 yards per rush? poor call when it comes to play calling.

Anyway, all of this can be worked on and corrected. So I am optimistic to say the least.

I hope our players and coaches gain a killer instinct coming into this week!

BOOMER SOONER and Tuck Fexas!

ouwapiti
9/26/2010, 07:31 PM
when is the last time OU has run a 'gadget' play????

rawlingsHOH
9/26/2010, 07:33 PM

Ran an end around to Franks yesterday.

oupride
9/26/2010, 07:37 PM
they ran a fake field goal last year and was unsuccessful. Pretty sure it may have been an away game, because I remember it did not change the outcome of the game.

soonersam
9/26/2010, 07:44 PM
SAME AS LAST YEAR.... WE LOOK GREAT ON OFFENSE ONLY TO BACK IT UP WITH 4 STRAIT 3 AND OUTS

StoopTroup
9/26/2010, 08:10 PM
Except last year we'd already lost a game.

CrimsonRez
9/26/2010, 08:25 PM
I only read the 1st one and I agree. It seems when he senses the blitz he takes the snap and IMMEDIATELY starts running backwards, abandoning his step process and his reads and bootlegs (even though its not a bootleg play) to the near sideline.

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2010, 10:39 AM

Though the gadgets plays can be fun to watch when executed correctly and if they actually work, they are low percentage plays.

If you are resorting to gadget plays then one of two things are happening...you are either desperate for something to work or facing a team that has an undisciplined defense that cannot match your offense.

I like the occasional quaddriple reseverse pass like the next guy but we should have to play any of those types of plays to beat teams.

soonerborn30
9/27/2010, 10:42 AM
IMO it's not a question of having to use the gadget plays...this isn't Boise. It's about wanting to, mixing things up a little bit, and if the thing works, putting a dagger in the defense's chest.

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2010, 10:44 AM
IMO it's not a question of having to use the gadget plays...this isn't Boise. It's about wanting to, mixing things up a little bit, and if the thing works, putting a dagger in the defense's chest.

I agree...it is fun to mix it up...but we shouldn't have too and as fans we shouldn't necessarily want it either.

It would be nice to see one once in awhile, shows that the coaches are having fun as well as having a killer instinct, which they have not really shown this year.

We have been very conservative all season long, even against Florida State.

KantoSooner
9/27/2010, 10:45 AM
After four weeks, I still have no idea about this team. Sometimes, they look like legitimate national champ threats. Other times, like they are struggling with the fundamentals of the game.

About the only thing that is clear is that our line woes have not been fully resolved. But we're closer than last year, even the end of last year, on the O side. On the D side, not so much.

Anyone have any insight into why the outbreak of arm tackling?

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2010, 10:46 AM
After four weeks, I still have no idea about this team. Sometimes, they look like legitimate national champ threats. Other times, like they are struggling with the fundamentals of the game.

About the only thing that is clear is that our line woes have not been fully resolved. But we're closer than last year, even the end of last year, on the O side. On the D side, not so much.

Anyone have any insight into why the outbreak of arm tackling?

Out of position or poor tackling position is all I can think of. We should all have faith that our coaches are not teaching that. :eek:

soonerborn30
9/27/2010, 11:22 AM
That's the biggest ? in my book. I remember being taught how to tackle in 6th grade. I'm pretty sure these kids know how, just for some reason they're refusing to do so right now.

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2010, 11:27 AM
That's the biggest ? in my book. I remember being taught how to tackle in 6th grade. I'm pretty sure these kids know how, just for some reason they're refusing to do so right now.

Well, if you are not in proper position to make a fundamental tackle, you start reaching.

What is causing the arm tackling that OU has been doing this year?

1. They are out of position to make a proper tackle.
2. They just do not know how to tackle.

Those are the only two things I can see being the case. I do not think it is #2, so it would have to be being in the right position.

A lot of it may stem from the youth of our defense.

htownsooner7
9/27/2010, 11:31 AM
The offensive line generates a decent first push, but they rarely have been getting to the second level. So, we have had a bunch of runs for 2 and 3 yards but that could have gone for much more if our lineman were at least making contact on the linebackers. How many times have you seen a big hole initially that gets closed down in a hurry? A bunch.

KantoSooner
9/27/2010, 11:39 AM
And let's just say, Jonathon Nelson should have his face on the five dollar bill. He has a bit of speed.

BoomerJ
9/27/2010, 01:06 PM
And let's just say, Jonathon Nelson should have his face on the five dollar bill. He has a bit of speed.

or perhaps the $3 dollar bill.

fwsooner22
9/27/2010, 01:42 PM
It's obvious if we can get the ball to the corners via the rush we beat **. That's all I care about right now. They took a whole bunch of the fun away with that idiotic loss. I will just have to drink twice as much to enjoy it just the same.

Okie35
9/27/2010, 02:03 PM
Only problem offensively in my opinion is sometimes we play too fast and that causes all the problems you brought up OU_Sooners75.

VA Sooner
9/27/2010, 02:14 PM
Need more D-line pressure on the opponent's o-line. By doing so, keeping the running game from passing our LBs and our secondary having to cheat up to stop the runner. This leaves our corners on an island and the reason Q Carter had to cover so much ground.

Safeties/Corners should never be the ones with the most tackles. Jefferson and Nelson have come through for the first four games.

Lewis is a beast... Wort needs more time to learn how to stay in position and quit biting on the fake. But at least he's enthusiastic and puts his all into it.

Defense did look tired... but having to run around so much. Got more help from offense this weekend.

Just the type of game to keep you motivated in practice as we get ready for *.

goingoneight
9/27/2010, 02:15 PM
OL is farther along than they were in the Sun Bowl. I mean, look no further than Air Force, 3 minutes left, three AFA timeouts, we were able to at least man up and eat the clock up FTW. We could NOT... I repeat... COULD NOT do that last year.
They are doing a better job of creating the veer for LJ to step up into, but it's not every down consistent the way the 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007 and 2008 lines did. They're grading about like the 2006 line did. IMO, if the guys stay healthy, each game they'll get better at what's already been adequate. Knock on wood, we've been more disciplined penalty-wise than last year, too.

It's somewhere between a C+ and a B- as far as where we're needing them to be right now. I think with the exception of (sorry to be mean, but) Cameron Kenney, we're close to being a "good" offense.

Defensively, there's no way to spin it. We're no better than OSU/Taco Tech-types of defenses right now. The DTs and LBs show very little pride, excitement or discipline when they need to make a stand. If this doesn't shore up, we're in SERIOUS trouble. UC was the "stupid team" on Saturday, really. While Collaros did alright, the answer all along to beating OU right now is running it on us. Obviously, they like to spread the offense out, but they ran it well enough that they could have beat us 'Bama style with a rare, occasional PA pass.

The things you don't typically have to deal with that we overcame were losing three starters to injury and a few others like Travis Lewis had to sit out some critical plays.

Analysis: OL needs to continue to progress, personnel changes possibly need to be made out wide and Defense needs to wake up and get serious out there. They did it against Florida State, so it's not like they CAN'T play well... they're just choosing their battles right now and it WILL get them beat. Most likely by someone who is perceived to be the underdog (OU/TX is a tossup regardless of the spread, I'm talking about a real underdog. Like OSU 2001, TCU 2005, CU 2007). Not to suggest Texas can't or won't beat us. Bad as they looked, Mack is selling out to develop a run game and that's all you need to know about OU/TX. They're planning to run on us with better athletes than what you saw AFA and UC do it with.

VA Sooner
9/27/2010, 02:15 PM
Only problem offensively in my opinion is sometimes we play too fast and that causes all the problems you brought up OU_Sooners75.

Hard to replicate Bradford in the no-huddle. He engineered a win for St. Louis which hasn't happened in a while. Special type of QB... I got spoiled.

By him and McCoy #93.

Okie35
9/27/2010, 02:21 PM
Hard to replicate Bradford in the no-huddle. He engineered a win for St. Louis which hasn't happened in a while. Special type of QB... I got spoiled.

By him and McCoy #93.

Yea, Landry is still young. Sometimes it takes longer to get it. To be honest since the Utah State game he's been impressive most of the time.

BoulderSooner79
9/27/2010, 02:49 PM
After 4 weeks, I see this is not a BCS title contending team. But I didn't expect that going into the season given how we ended last year and who we lost. But with the horns in a down year, competing for the conference should still be within reach - but it won't be easy.

Up surprises:

- Freshman! The expectations were high, but always a question mark until seen on the field. Stills, Jefferson, Millard and now a Noble siting. I can't wait to see Clay and Finch get healthy and get a real chance. Colvin has ball skills.

- Kenney the first 2 games. Miller the last 2.

- Pass protection leaps and bounds better than last year.

- J. Nelson, I knew he was good, but not this good.

As expected:

- Broyles is still excellent

- LJ coming along in a normal timeline - still a way to go.

- Tress Way is a weapon.

- Place kicking. I'll just say "as expected"

- safeties have been good.

Down surprises:

- Run game. My expectations are modest, and the results fall short of that. Part of it is scheme and I accept that, but other spread team do better. I think the rest is run blocking and (hate to say it) our RBs. We need someone that can make someone miss every once in a while (see Clay, Finch comment above).

- Most aspects of defense. The scary part was replacing both CBs, but they are holding up pretty well, IMO. It's the LBs and the DEs that surprise me. I expected more pass rush from the DEs and more of about everything from the LBs. The DTs are about as expected (tough to replace G. McCoy), and Noble is an upside.

MiccoMacey
9/27/2010, 02:50 PM
1) Not getting any push by our DT's. Our DE's are getting pressure, but tour DT's are not.

2) Still some dropped passes...hard to keep drives alive when we only have two real downs to convert ten yards, thanks to drops by CK and our RBs.

3) OLine...may be progressing at pass-blocking, but still miles away from being an effective run-blocking unit.

4) We're young still. Going through some growing pains that didn't get fixed last year due to injuries.

The good things out of all this are we won a close game, and we won a road game. Those are both things we had trouble doing last year.

We're getting up on people, we're just not putting our foot on their throats.

Landry Jones isn't throwing interceptions.

Okie35
9/27/2010, 03:00 PM
1) Not getting any push by our DT's. Our DE's are getting pressure, but tour DT's are not.

2) Still some dropped passes...hard to keep drives alive when we only have two real downs to convert ten yards, thanks to drops by CK and our RBs.

3) OLine...may be progressing at pass-blocking, but still miles away from being an effective run-blocking unit.

4) We're young still. Going through some growing pains that didn't get fixed last year due to injuries.

The good things out of all this are we won a close game, and we won a road game. Those are both things we had trouble doing last year.

We're getting up on people, we're just not putting our foot on their throats.

Landry Jones isn't throwing interceptions.

Inconsistency. Sometimes they look great. I think a lot of the putting our foots on throats has to w/ play calling too. To be honest the team as a whole looks really tired by the 4th quarter which causes missed tackles, frustration penalties, etc...

VA Sooner
9/27/2010, 04:18 PM
Young team. Will get better each game... it seems like Utah State was a long time ago... and that was a weak team in our house!

Good road win... lots of game tape to review and learn from.

IGotNoTiming
9/27/2010, 09:05 PM

IGotNoTiming
9/27/2010, 09:06 PM
I like the occasional quaddriple reseverse pass like the next guy but we should have to play any of those types of plays to beat teams.

I loves me some Quadripple Reseverse...

OU_Sooners75
9/28/2010, 09:11 AM
I loves me some Quadripple Reseverse...

shuddup...lol

Crucifax Autumn
9/28/2010, 10:21 AM
Quadnipple what?