PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones is leading the nation...

HolaKyle
9/26/2010, 11:36 AM
in passes attempted and completed.

Is that good or bad?

JLEW1818
9/26/2010, 11:43 AM
Our total defense is ranked 97th.

I say that is more of a problem.

cccasooner2
9/26/2010, 11:47 AM

Is that good or bad?

It's the system. :rolleyes:

TXBOOMER
9/26/2010, 11:48 AM
I'm not surprised. It is a product of the design of KW's offense. Many of LJ's passes are swing passes, flare passes and screen passes. I would like to see us line up in the power more which would open up the vertical passing game with play action. Not to mention this defense could use us eating up more clock and keeping them off of the field. So I guess I ould like to see fewer attempts.

tommieharris91
9/26/2010, 11:49 AM

This.

EDIT: About the only thing we do right is get turnovers. Certainly not a bad thing though.

BoulderSooner79
9/26/2010, 11:54 AM
I'm not surprised. It is a product of the design of KW's offense. Many of LJ's passes are swing passes, flare passes and screen passes. I would like to see us line up in the power more which would open up the vertical passing game with play action. Not to mention this defense could use us eating up more clock and keeping them off of the field. So I guess I ould like to see fewer attempts.

I've only seen the power formation and play action work when a team can actually run the ball.

OU-HSV
9/26/2010, 12:01 PM

word

TXBOOMER
9/26/2010, 01:16 PM
I've only seen the power formation and play action work when a team can actually run the ball.

We can run it better out of the I. They hit the hole quicker. Last night we converted several short yardage situations. Those spread handoffs take a long time to hit the hole. The holes are gone by the time we get there. I would like to see us commit to it for a hole game instead of 2 out of 10 plays.

MR2-Sooner86
9/26/2010, 01:22 PM
He still sucks though.

;)

stoopified
9/26/2010, 01:28 PM
We can run it better out of the I. They hit the hole quicker..Not the way we run the I,we run draws and stretch plays out of the I (so much so I took to referring to this as the retch play)which take forever to develop.We almost never run the toss sweep.The formation matters little,execution is the key.

To the original point of this thread ?It is not good that we are leading the nation in pass attempts.It shows how inept our running game is.

TXBOOMER
9/26/2010, 01:35 PM
Not the way we run the I,we run draws and stretch plays out of the I (so much so I took to referring to this as the retch play)which take forever to develop.We almost never run the toss sweep.The formation matters little,execution is the key.

To the original point of this thread ?It is not good that we are leading the nation in pass attempts.It shows how inept our running game is.

I am talking about running the power I more often straight ahead fullback lead blocking etc. Especially against smaller less athletic teams.

StoopTroup
9/26/2010, 04:09 PM

Is that good or bad?

11 posts later...here's your answer.....

Good.

YW

Sooner04
9/26/2010, 04:11 PM
With our defense not playing well, I'd much prefer our rushing numbers to be better and far less asked of Landry in attempts. We've GOT to run the ball better.

Landry leading both those statistics is good for him, but I'm not sure it's an indicator of future success for our football team.

rawlingsHOH
9/26/2010, 04:14 PM
Last night we converted several short yardage situations.

Been really good all year at converting those. Just aren't getting enough explosive running plays on 1st and 2nd down.

85sooners
9/26/2010, 04:14 PM
:gary:

engineer24
9/26/2010, 04:15 PM
Its a bad thing. OU's running game is just as non-existent as Texas now. Demarco Murray has not broken any tackles since week 1 and the OL is not good enough to give a big push up front to open up running lanes.

StoopTroup
9/26/2010, 04:17 PM
With our defense not playing well, I'd much prefer our rushing numbers to be better and far less asked of Landry in attempts. We've GOT to run the ball better.

Landry leading both those statistics is good for him, but I'm not sure it's an indicator of future success for our football team.

Since the odds of us winning out are not very good....it's probably best to avoid a straight up answer.

I think Landry is doing a great job and even though he threw the 1 interception last night....he's well on his way to improving his passing game as long as the receiving corp continues to give him 4 or 5 legitimate targets.

Again....the answer is good.

rawlingsHOH
9/26/2010, 04:18 PM
11 posts later...here's your answer.....

Good.

YW

I wonder if a team ever won a title leading the nation in attempts. Seems very unlikely. Part of the high number is do to the no huddle, for sure.

Here are the Top 5 attempt guys in 2010
1 Landry Jones, QB OKLA
2 Corey Robinson, QB TROY
3 G.J. Kinne, QB TLSA
4 Steven Threet, QB ASU
5 Jerry Davis, QB BUFF

1 Case Keenum, QB HOU
2 Tyler Sheehan, QB BGSU
3 Tim Hiller, QB WMU
4 Levi Brown, QB TROY
5 Jerrod Johnson, QB TA&M

1 Graham Harrell, QB TTU
2 Case Keenum, QB HOU
3 Chase Daniel, QB MIZZ
4 Tim Hiller, QB WMU
5 Todd Reesing, QB KU

1 Graham Harrell, QB TTU
2 Matt Ryan, QB BC
3 Curtis Painter, QB PUR
4 Chase Daniel, QB MIZZ
5 Paul Smith, QB TLSA

StoopTroup
9/26/2010, 04:22 PM
Sounds like you should start another thread and ask your own questions.

engineer24
9/26/2010, 04:23 PM
I wonder if a team ever won a title leading the nation in attempts. Seems very unlikely. Part of the high number is do to the no huddle, for sure.

Here are the Top 5 attempt guys in 2010
1 Landry Jones, QB OKLA
2 Corey Robinson, QB TROY
3 G.J. Kinne, QB TLSA
4 Steven Threet, QB ASU
5 Jerry Davis, QB BUFF

1 Case Keenum, QB HOU
2 Tyler Sheehan, QB BGSU
3 Tim Hiller, QB WMU
4 Levi Brown, QB TROY
5 Jerrod Johnson, QB TA&M

1 Graham Harrell, QB TTU
2 Case Keenum, QB HOU
3 Chase Daniel, QB MIZZ
4 Tim Hiller, QB WMU
5 Todd Reesing, QB KU

1 Graham Harrell, QB TTU
2 Matt Ryan, QB BC
3 Curtis Painter, QB PUR
4 Chase Daniel, QB MIZZ
5 Paul Smith, QB TLSA

The best indicator of NC caliber teams is defense, not offense. All the teams that ahve won an NC had a truly elite level defense. Most of them had good offenses too, but not all of them. The one common theme you see is defense.

Sooner04
9/26/2010, 04:36 PM
I wonder if a team ever won a title leading the nation in attempts. Seems very unlikely.
It'd have to be somebody like Bosco for BYU in '84. I doubt Florida State threw enough in '99 for Weinke to lead the country in attempts. Maybe Wuerffel in '96, but he probably didn't play too many full games.

oudivesherpa
9/26/2010, 04:41 PM
We are flat spoiled. We have had great defenses for the last 4 years. This year we aren't controlling the line and as a result of DB are getting pulled up to support the run and vunerable to the pass. If we don't get this changed we could be in for a long season.

rawlingsHOH
9/26/2010, 04:45 PM
It'd have to be somebody like Bosco for BYU in '84. I doubt Florida State threw enough in '99 for Weinke to lead the country in attempts. Maybe Wuerffel in '96, but he probably didn't play too many full games.

BYU is a pretty good guess. I'm be shocked if either of the Florida teams did though. Both were pretty balanced in terms of attempts.

BoulderSooner79
9/26/2010, 04:48 PM
Given that we can't run, it's good we can pass - and I don't see any quick fixes to the run game. But the passing game could improve; one dropped pass or penalty and we can't overcome it and end up punting. I really would like to see some PT from Clay and Finch if they get healthy. A back that can make someone miss would go a long way, I believe - and these guys are going to be important factors starting next season.