PDA

View Full Version : What the UT/UCLA games means for next week..

BoulderSooner79
9/26/2010, 01:56 AM
Absolutely nothing. UCLA man-handled the horns on the ground and we couldn't do that against Norman High. If we can't win with LJ's arm, then we can't win. This could be LJ's first signature win.

Blue
9/26/2010, 02:02 AM
I like our chances.

Pricetag
9/26/2010, 09:20 AM
Neither team has any business being favored, IMO.

Crucifax Autumn
9/26/2010, 09:22 AM
It means we go kick the **** out of yellerteef and his gheywhorns just like we were gonna do before they lost.

Soonermagik
9/26/2010, 09:25 AM
It means OU has confidence to win close games and UT doesn't. If UT gets down early it could be a Florida State type win.

I said it at the beginning of this year, but I knew UT would struggle. They lost their 2 best players on offense and defense. Shipley & McCoy on O & Kindle & Thomas on D. Plus, they are really young at O-line and have no running backs.

oupride
9/26/2010, 09:26 AM
Absolutely nothing. UCLA man-handled the horns on the ground and we couldn't do that against Norman High. If we can't win with LJ's arm, then we can't win. This could be LJ's first signature win.
Might not need LJ's arm, UCLA beat ut with only 27 yards passing. I am hoping the shorthorns show up looking just as confused next week. Boomer!

Shakadoodoo
9/26/2010, 09:28 AM
It means we go kick the **** out of yellerteef and his gheywhorns just like we were gonna do before they lost.Hook em :D

Widescreen
9/26/2010, 09:30 AM
Plus, they are really young at O-line and have no running backs.

If by young you mean bad, then I agree. They have 3 seniors and a junior on their OL. They're not young and have been in the program for a long time.

Soonermagik
9/26/2010, 09:37 AM
If by young you mean bad, then I agree. They have 3 seniors and a junior on their OL. They're not young and have been in the program for a long time.

I thought they inserted 2 Freshmen due to injuries. I could be wrong, but I thought I heard that on the radio.

Crucifax Autumn
9/26/2010, 09:38 AM
End result is the same either way...right now they suck.

cdlbdd
9/26/2010, 10:57 AM
It means my ticket I'm trying to sell isn't worth nearly as much as it was Friday.

JLEW1818
9/26/2010, 10:59 AM
we simply won't win if it's all on Landry's arm.

Team that rushes for the most yards wins this game every single year under Stoops/Brown

I think we have like 3 rushing yards combined in the last 2 RRS

Soonermagik
9/26/2010, 11:02 AM
we simply won't win if it's all on Landry's arm.

Team that rushes for the most yards wins this game every single year under Stoops/Brown

I think we have like 3 rushing yards combined in the last 2 RRS

Jones played awful in last years RRR against a NC Texas team, which OU almost won. If he just plays average then OU should win by 10+. If he plays great look for another FSU type blowout.

Soonerus
9/26/2010, 11:06 AM
We are stupid and undefeated....bawhahahaha....

Crucifax Autumn
9/26/2010, 11:07 AM

Imagine what will happen if instead of practicing this week we have the whole team read a few books!

setem
9/26/2010, 11:31 AM
I am pretty sure it means a lot! They lost at home so either 1 of 2 things is going to happen. They are going to stay down and get whipped or they are going to come out with a chip on their shoulder and beat us.

I think they are doomed they have been dragging all season!

King Crimson
9/26/2010, 11:38 AM
i'm a little uncomfortable with this idea that we are "winning close games"....the 3 close games i've seen involved being outscored badly in the 4th quarter (41-10 for the season).....i'm more interested in WHY these are close games.

we should have put away AFA and Cincy. instead, we "win a close game". Cincy's last score was a "prevent" score and AFA never had the ball with a chance to take the lead so in some ways maybe the games weren't as close as they seemed on paper at the end.

no idea what to expect in Dallas. not hard to see UT rally and Gilbert wake up and throw for 500 yards....historically speaking since that's how this one seems to go. We win in Dallas in 07 after choking our guts out at Colorado.

UT did really stink, though. i watched part of it and they simply didn't show up in the 2nd half after turning it over a bunch in the 1st. when UCLA took the opening kick of the 3rd Q for a TD, UT wilted. ballgame.

LiveLaughLove
9/26/2010, 12:16 PM
Neither team has any business being favored, IMO.

true dat

bluedogok
9/26/2010, 12:20 PM
What does it mean?

H_YK9wVK6IQ

BoulderSooner79
9/27/2010, 03:36 PM
I just watch the UT/UCLA game and now I really don't think we gain anything by what happened. The game was decided by a fumble on a punt return inside the horn 10 and 2 scoring drives in the 3rd by UCLA. The 2 drives were successful from the horn defense being completely fooled by the option read along with some good power running sprinkled in. We don't power run all that well and we have no option running attack in the playbook. We may well win the game, but it won't be because UCLA exposed anything we can use. I rate the game a toss-up.

MeMyself&Me
9/27/2010, 03:48 PM
What does it mean? Well, my guess is that it means OU is going to run a **** load of plays out of the pistol formation.

BoulderSooner79
9/27/2010, 04:03 PM
What does it mean? Well, my guess is that it means OU is going to run a **** load of plays out of the pistol formation.

And you think LJ is going to keep? The UCLA QB had a 38yd TD run because he fooled the DE into crashing inside to take on the RB. He had several other important runs off the true option read. OUr "pistol" is just a hand-off from a different formation and the D knows LJ is not going to run.

MeMyself&Me
9/27/2010, 04:12 PM
And you think LJ is going to keep? The UCLA QB had a 38yd TD run because he fooled the DE into crashing inside to take on the RB. He had several other important runs off the true option read. OUr "pistol" is just a hand-off from a different formation and the D knows LJ is not going to run.

I didn't say Pistol was going to work... it hardly ever does for OU.

Perhaps if I included the :rolleyes: then it would have made more sense.

Okie35
9/27/2010, 04:19 PM
We can run on them if we don't play predictable.

BoulderSooner79
9/27/2010, 04:30 PM
I didn't say Pistol was going to work... it hardly ever does for OU.

Perhaps if I included the :rolleyes: then it would have made more sense.

Ah, yes. My sarcasm meter was stuck and had to give it a tap. I suspect you're correct - we will line up in the pistol as always.

BoulderSooner79
9/27/2010, 04:32 PM
We can run on them if we don't play predictable.

I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. I thought our play calling was excellent (and unpredictable) against FSU and we still didn't run very well. We did try.

SoFla Sooner
9/27/2010, 06:37 PM

We have traded in practice this week for reading Dickens and Tolstoy. We have dumped tackling drills for Math drills. In fact rumor has it that Tom Wort started skipping tackling drills LAST week!

Widescreen
9/27/2010, 08:14 PM
Screw reading. I hear candy is the way to go

goingoneight
9/27/2010, 09:23 PM
i'm a little uncomfortable with this idea that we are "winning close games"....the 3 close games i've seen involved being outscored badly in the 4th quarter (41-10 for the season).....i'm more interested in WHY these are close games.

we should have put away AFA and Cincy. instead, we "win a close game". Cincy's last score was a "prevent" score and AFA never had the ball with a chance to take the lead so in some ways maybe the games weren't as close as they seemed on paper at the end.

no idea what to expect in Dallas. not hard to see UT rally and Gilbert wake up and throw for 500 yards....historically speaking since that's how this one seems to go. We win in Dallas in 07 after choking our guts out at Colorado.

UT did really stink, though. i watched part of it and they simply didn't show up in the 2nd half after turning it over a bunch in the 1st. when UCLA took the opening kick of the 3rd Q for a TD, UT wilted. ballgame.

So what you're saying is Texas prematurely collapsed? Damn whorns... you better not rally against us!!! Just drop this one and you can win the rest of the season... :D

stoopified
9/27/2010, 11:01 PM
Nada

Collier11
9/27/2010, 11:03 PM
A few questions need to be answered

1: Can we run inside like UCLA did, if not, is it even possible to run outside on them?

2: If we load up on the run and make Gilbert beat us, can he?

3: If UT tries to take away our passing game, can they?

JLEW1818
9/27/2010, 11:06 PM
we have not been able to run the last 2 years against texas.

my question is, why will this year be any different?

Please explain why.......

(I'm not saying we won't be able to. but just why this year?)

Collier11
9/27/2010, 11:08 PM
well to me it is obvious that we are going to have to abandon our standard run game and go with a different method. This goes back to our o-line debate, if we are supposed to have such good o-lines, why do we routinely fail to run the ball well against good teams? As STEP said, it seems we are running a scheme that doesnt fit our RB's style. If so, why the hell dont we change our run game scheme?

soonerborn30
9/27/2010, 11:10 PM
We won't. From what I can tell people have sold out to stop Demarco, not thinking that LJ and the receivers could make them pay. But LJ is slowly becoming more able to hurt people if he has time. Well, that and our run blocking looks atrocious at times.

Collier11
9/27/2010, 11:13 PM
But the point is, to me anyway, in order to beat good teams and have a potentially great season, we HAVE to be able to be atleast decent at running the ball. How do we do that? We may not have to Saturday but at some point we will have to.

Power I, run out of shot gun, pistol, try and get Murray outside, more misdirection? We have to figure out a way, how do we do that?

JLEW1818
9/27/2010, 11:14 PM
i just hate the pistol

but maybe the coaches know we would suck out of the I?

idk why we have to do this "hurry lets get to the line, and go really fast... and run up the tackles butt hole" every series.

yankee
9/27/2010, 11:15 PM
how do we do that?

and THAT, is the million dollar question.

Collier11
9/27/2010, 11:16 PM
well, our job as Super Genius MSG Board fans is to figure it out for the coaches :D

yankee
ucla punched texas in the mouth, and they folded like a lawn chair. we need to do that saturday.

JLEW1818
there is no clear answer on why we can't run the ball consistently.

I'll probably do some meditating and see what happens Saturday.

TahoeSOONER
9/27/2010, 11:18 PM
I think we got enough pop on offense if we spread it around. LJ will need a run game and we need balance, they've still got a great secondary. Limit turnovers and don't give up on the run game. It's going to be a war either way, usually is.

Collier11
9/27/2010, 11:22 PM
I think against ut we need just enough of a running game to keep them honest, I dont think we need to run for 200 or even 150

yankee
9/27/2010, 11:34 PM
I think against ut we need just enough of a running game to keep them honest, I dont think we need to run for 200 or even 150

hell, if we ran for positive yards last year we probably would have won. we just need a little balance. i seriously think DM's performance against cincy MIGHT be good enough against ut...it's just that the ut front 7 is a bit better (supposedly) than the cincy front 7.

BoulderSooner79
9/27/2010, 11:45 PM
A few questions need to be answered

1: Can we run inside like UCLA did, if not, is it even possible to run outside on them?

2: If we load up on the run and make Gilbert beat us, can he?

3: If UT tries to take away our passing game, can they?

1: Inside - a little like we have been. Outside, I doubt it.

2: He can if we can't cover tightly. But they are not running well either, so I don't think we need to sell out to prevent them from running much. Pressure may be more important than completely stuffing the run.

3: That my friend, is the $1M question. I keep reading they have future Sunday-level DBs. If I were the horn DC, I would double Broyles and go man on other receivers. I'd try to pressure LJ and show little respect for OUr run game unless we prove otherwise. To counter this, we burn them on the run a couple of times and be extremely patient throwing to DM and the TEs or whoever is covered by LBs. If they get tired or show signs of cheating on coverage, try some shots farther down field. Also, the guys that are singled up in man, need to beat coverage often enough to be a factor.

Collier11
9/27/2010, 11:46 PM
Im thinking our TEs and RBs could have a big game receiving if we utilize them

ouwasp
9/27/2010, 11:48 PM
It's on ESPNU right now if anyone cares to watch. UCLA up 10-3 in the 2nd...

agoo758
9/28/2010, 12:12 AM
We won't run on them because we are always predictable.

Fixed.:mad:

RealUTGrad
9/28/2010, 08:23 AM
i have no idea what will happen but am leaning toward a blowout by you guys. Greg Davis just refuses to trust a young QB to throw down field . This dink and dunk crap is awful when GG has such a big arm

TexasLidig8r
9/28/2010, 08:31 AM
i have no idea what will happen but am leaning toward a blowout by you guys.

Sweet Blue Jumpin Jebus on a tricycle painted with swastikas!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h6uvOY3kFs&feature=related

Man up dude!

It's the Flippin' Hillbillies Week!!!

TheHumanAlphabet
9/28/2010, 08:32 AM
We are in trouble because UT has been tackling and lifting weights this week. We are DOOMED!

TexasLidig8r
9/28/2010, 08:48 AM
We are in trouble because UT has been tackling and lifting weights this week. We are DOOMED!

No No.

That's been offset by Greg Davis this week picking the toejam out and wonderin' how many times we can throw the ball 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage on 4th and 3.

soonerborn30
9/28/2010, 09:19 AM
You guys have that play too? We're more alike than I thought!

RacerX
9/28/2010, 09:39 AM
Sweet Blue Jumpin Jebus on a tricycle painted with swastikas!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h6uvOY3kFs&feature=related

Man up dude!

It's the Flippin' Hillbillies Week!!!

What are these hills you speak of?

tfoolry
9/28/2010, 09:59 AM
No freak of nature like Orakpo on the other side so I like LJ's chances on having enough time to find open guys.