PDA

View Full Version : Doyel: Oklahoma is STUPID.

Salt City Sooner
9/26/2010, 01:37 AM
CINCINNATI -- Oklahoma went on the road for the first time this season and won. That's the good news from Saturday night, and for Oklahoma fans I understand that it's really good news. Last season the Sooners went on the road four times and lost three of them. Including neutral sites, Oklahoma played seven games away from Norman in 2009 and lost five of them.

That's bad -- so this was good. Oklahoma went to Cincinnati and beat the Bearcats 31-29. The Sooners are 4-0 overall, 1-0 away from home, and likely to rise at least one spot in the next Top 25. They're No. 8 at the moment, but No. 7 Texas lost to UCLA on Saturday. With their annual showdown set for Saturday in Dallas, Oklahoma is up. Texas is down. More good news for Oklahoma.

That said, let's get to the bad news for the Sooners.

Which is pretty much everything else that happened Saturday night.

Cincinnati is not good -- Cincinnati is, in fact, pretty damn lousy -- and Oklahoma won by the slimmest of margins. If Oklahoma were Oklahoma State, where the coach is a man and a win is a win, then beating bad Cincinnati by the slimmest of margins would be celebrated.

But Oklahoma strives for more than the Holiday Bowl, so this wasn't a celebration. This was scary, and I'll tell you why.

Because Oklahoma is a stupid football team.

Oklahoma is fast, but Oklahoma is stupid. Oklahoma is skilled, but Oklahoma is stupid. Strong? Yes. Oklahoma is strong.

But stupid.

It's an epidemic of dumb, from the quarterback to the bench to the friggin' coaches on the sideline, assistant offensive coordinator Jay Norvell in particular, who drastically overestimated his self-worth in the second quarter, when he complained to officials loudly enough that he got hit with a 15-yard penalty for jerky officiousness. Can't wait to see how OU coach Bob Stoops handles that one. The penalty happened in front of Stoops, who realized too late that Norvell's alligator mouth was overloading his hummingbird ***. Just as Stoops was pushing Norvell away from the official, the flag was floating down like a bird dropping. It splattered the Sooners with another 15 yards of negative yardage.

In all, Oklahoma was penalized 13 times for 113 yards, and these were dumb fouls. A late hit here. A dead-ball foul there. Intentional grounding? Roughing the passer? A pass interference to nullify an interception?

Yes. There was a surplus of stupid.

More than dumb, Oklahoma was ineffective on defense. That's how the Sooners had a 4-1 edge in turnovers and compiled 452 yards of total offense, including 370 passing yards from Landry Jones, and still had to hang on to win.

The Sooners don't tackle well, which is why they can't stop the run. Air Force ran for 351 yards on the Sooners last week. Cincinnati ran for 156 yards Saturday, a number skewed downward by several sacks. Cincinnati tailback Isaiah Pead ran for 169 yards, and he needed just 21 carries to do it, and he would have run for more than 200 yards had a 76-yard carry in the third quarter not been reviewed and changed -- unfairly, I'd say -- to a 13-yard gain when officials determined that his elbow had hit the ground. I saw the same replays the officials saw, and that elbow might have hit the ground. Probably it hit the ground. Inconclusively it hit the ground? No way. But the call was made, and instead of first-and-goal at the 4, Cincinnati was back at its 33. Instead of a likely touchdown, the Bearcats scrambled for a field goal that possession.

That's a four-point swing. Cincinnati lost by two points. See the math?

Cincinnati also missed an early extra point, a lost point that meant the Bearcats couldn't try to force overtime by going for two after scoring their final touchdown with 58 seconds to play. They kicked the extra point to get within 31-29, tried an onsides kick, waited out Stoops' double-secret ********* timeout from the sideline that forced UC to repeat the onsides kick, and finally failed. Oklahoma recovered. Oklahoma won.

So Oklahoma's rolling toward the Big 12 title game, and possibly the BCS title game? Not the Oklahoma that I saw on Saturday night. This Oklahoma team can't stop an obvious running team like Air Force, and it can't stop a deceptive running team like Cincinnati. So who can Oklahoma stop from running? I'll tell you who: Oklahoma can stop Utah State.

Terrific.

The Sooners lucked out on the schedule and won't have to face the best two running teams in the Big 12, Nebraska and Kansas State, but the Sooners will play games -- on the road, no less -- against the league's No. 3 (Texas A&M), No. 4 (Oklahoma State) and No. 5 (Baylor) rushing teams. You think Oklahoma wins all three of those games? I don't.

Not if the Sooners play this stupidly, and tackle this poorly. Oklahoma's best defense at times Saturday was to let Cincinnati receiver D.J. Woods get behind everybody and run for the goal line. Oklahoma is fast, and twice the Sooners ran down Woods from behind -- poking the ball loose on one such play, turning a potential Bearcats touchdown into a game-changing fumble into the end zone for a touchback.

That's how Oklahoma beat Cincinnati on Saturday. With freak athleticism and fluke playmaking. And lots of penalties. Lots of missed tackles. Lots of yards allowed.

If you're an Oklahoma fan and you enjoyed this game, you're missing the bigger picture. Oklahoma doesn't celebrate weak wins against weak football teams. Oklahoma pounds teams like Cincinnati.

When Oklahoma's really good, I mean.

Other seasons. Not this one.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/14014748/unimpressive-win-cant-hide-oklahomas-stupidity

Blue
9/26/2010, 01:43 AM
What a total dooshbag. How does someone get paid for being a total ****ing *******? Crazy world.

Leroy Lizard
9/26/2010, 02:11 AM
I rarely complain about editorials that knock the Sooners. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we can't expect everyone in the media to be an OU fan. But if I was the editor at CBS Sports, I would hand this one back to him. "Greg, this is CBS. We expect our writers to own a thesaurus, so that you can substitute more accurate and colorful adjectives for "good," "lousy," "stupid," and "friggin." We also expect that you employ some form of figurative language on occasion to enhance interest in your commentary.

One more thing, Greg: You claim to be a Sooner fan. But the last time I looked, most Sooners fans don't bend over backwards to discredit officials when they rule in the Sooners' favor, especially calls in which the announcers and referees agree. That simply is not normal human behavior for a real fan."

Harry Beanbag
9/26/2010, 02:20 AM
Other than him disagreeing with the review on the Pead run, I have to say he is correct...

BoulderSooner79
9/26/2010, 02:26 AM
I rarely complain about editorials that knock the Sooners. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we can't expect everyone in the media to be an OU fan. But if I was the editor at CBS Sports, I would hand this one back to him. "Greg, this is CBS. We expect our writers to own a thesaurus, so that you can substitute more accurate and colorful adjectives for "good," "lousy," "stupid," and "friggin." We also expect that you employ some form of figurative language on occasion to enhance interest in your commentary.

One more thing, Greg: You claim to be a Sooner fan. But the last time I looked, most Sooners fans don't bend over backwards to discredit officials when they rule in the Sooners' favor, especially calls in which the announcers and referees agree. That simply is not normal human behavior for a real fan."

Spot on. I can sum up the relevant portion of the article in one sentence: "OU does not have a great team this season.". Yes, we know that - how does that inspire paragraphs of worthless editorial?

And Pead was down. I'm the first one to say we got a break when a bad call goes our way or to back the refs when a correct call goes against us. Heck of an athletic play, but he was indisputable down.

yankee
9/26/2010, 02:26 AM
most of what he said was stupid, but how in the world could he accuse landry jones of being stupid? he said it at the beginning of the article and not once addressed LJ's apparent "stupidity". what a worthless POS writer.

HBick
9/26/2010, 02:29 AM
Ugly win, but a win nonetheless. Our DL is shaky and it looks like Walker suffered a knee injury on the blatant chop block where Cincy scored, then losing a starting CB and playing a true freshman in his spot (Colvin). I think this is good for the team to keep squeaking them out, it's forcing them to learn how to win. Also we are playing more freshman than I can remember in the Stoops era. Stills and Jefferson are players in the making, Stills catch where he stretched out and got both feet in? Sunday catch, Jefferson is roaming the field like a man on a mission.

That said, I'm just trying to see the positive side of this.

And guys, it could be much worse, the team could of lost to UCLA and Neweasel at home lol

Mjcpr
9/26/2010, 02:30 AM
The good news is, we're not as stupid as Texas.

Joe
9/26/2010, 02:32 AM
That roughing the passer penalty on us was a new one for me. OUr guy grazed his facemask with a finger and got a pf for it.

Harry Beanbag
9/26/2010, 02:38 AM
What happened to Fleming?

HBick
9/26/2010, 02:43 AM

hurt at some point i thought. why else would they be playing a true freshman along with Hurst?

Harry Beanbag
9/26/2010, 02:45 AM
hurt at some point i thought. why else would they be playing a true freshman along with Hurst?

No ****. I was wondering if anybody could enlighten me any further than that.

noobalicious
9/26/2010, 03:03 AM
Uhh, of course Oklahoma fans didn't enjoy this game Doyel. But it is beyond me why he's writing about how stupid a 4-0 team is when there are plenty of other teams out there making stupid mistakes: Virginia Tech, Texas, etc. etc.

He acts like this is some totally fluke thing and we're just a bunch of dirtbag losers who managed to get lucky on all accounts and basically put forth no effort at all.

I'll admit this wasn't our best effort, but you look at plays like Nelson running the guy down for 50 yards and punching the ball out and there was clearly SOME effort on this team.

Not to mention some of those personal foul calls were completely unfair (grazing the QBs head with a pinkie, our coach getting flagged for yelling about a late hit, and Cincy's coach doesn't get flagged for screaming at a ref in a similar fashion about ruling Stills' toeline catch a catch). Give me a break Doyel. We all know OU has struggled in 3 of their 4 games so far.

Hopefully OU uses this as motivation. Guys read the sports websites, I'm SURE they'll hear about this.

Peach Fuzz
9/26/2010, 03:43 AM
Notice he mentioned their miss opps. but failed to address our 17 ponts missed.... Stupid.

Crucifax Autumn
9/26/2010, 03:48 AM
1/2 of the teams that played today exceeded our stupidity once the final whistle blew.

SCSooner71
9/26/2010, 04:05 AM
Give Doyel a break...his balls havent dropped yet!

Crucifax Autumn
9/26/2010, 04:10 AM
I tell ya where I wanna drop mine after reading this article...

pappy
9/26/2010, 04:46 AM
The only thing we did all night that I thought was actually stupid was when we recovered the onside kick....recovering the onside kick wasn't stupid, but how it happened was. they kicked a slow roller we had 3 or 4 guys surround it and let it roll more when we (being the receiving team) could've jumped on it before it went 10 yards while cincinatti's guys had to wait. In the end though Broyles recovered it and that's all that matters, but it was a much closer call then it should've been. trice or nelson could've just fallen on it.

Crucifax Autumn
9/26/2010, 05:12 AM
Yeah, I wondered WTF they were doing.

Blues1
9/26/2010, 05:39 AM
For What I saw ~ Cinncy is NOT a Bad Team - And if they don't have a bunch of injuries this Season they will prove their worth before the season is over...
I also expect Air Force to end up it a good bowl game - Also Watch Florida State to improve as the season goes on ~ AS far as our tackling - Yep looks like we need a lot of improvement - JMHO.....

CBUS_SOONER
9/26/2010, 07:03 AM
Other than him disagreeing with the review on the Pead run, I have to say he is correct...

I agree. We played really stupid

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/26/2010, 07:12 AM

spek

I agree. The Sooners played pedestrian at best on a bunch of series. However, they did find a way to win. On the road. In a hostile environment. On TV.

Actually, I'd like to thank the writer for the Billboard material the week of the Tx game! I think the guys will answer!

budbarrybob
9/26/2010, 08:15 AM
There were several times during the game that I would have agreed. Primarily the ALWAYS failing Prevent defense I'm gonna rush 3 and give up the short routes. They short routed us all the damn way down the field in 50 seconds...
We were Very lucky combined with outstanding individual play = WIN.

When the defense can play as a unit, we'll be a Very good team.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/26/2010, 08:16 AM

Agree 100%.

But the guy also mentions a missed PAT by Cinci, not a missed FG by us...
He mentions the review on the Pead run but not the review on the last TD by Cinci where the guy was out of bounds? Not conclusive my ***. On both.

kbsooner
9/26/2010, 08:26 AM
The only thing we did all night that I thought was actually stupid was when we recovered the onside kick....recovering the onside kick wasn't stupid, but how it happened was. they kicked a slow roller we had 3 or 4 guys surround it and let it roll more when we (being the receiving team) could've jumped on it before it went 10 yards while cincinatti's guys had to wait. In the end though Broyles recovered it and that's all that matters, but it was a much closer call then it should've been. trice or nelson could've just fallen on it.

This.

I was beside myself when they didn't jump it immediately! I thought we were going have another Allen Patrick incident. Inexcusable that your "hands" team does not know this rule...

PLaw
9/26/2010, 08:38 AM
And Pead was down. I'm the first one to say we got a break when a bad call goes our way or to back the refs when a correct call goes against us. Heck of an athletic play, but he was indisputable down.

Yeah, and I bet your memories of Eugene were as vivid as mine when Cincy lined up for that on-side kick. Normally, bad calls cost us (i.e. UO, and many, many Cotton bowl affairs. I don't if the call was good or bad, but I'll take and just say the karma balances at the end of the day.

BOOMER

PLaw
9/26/2010, 08:41 AM

Heard he came out of the locker room with a boot on his foot.

Bummer

StoopTroup
9/26/2010, 08:49 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/14014748/unimpressive-win-cant-hide-oklahomas-stupidity

If you're an Oklahoma fan and you enjoyed this game, you're missing the bigger picture. Oklahoma doesn't celebrate weak wins against weak football teams. Oklahoma pounds teams like Cincinnati.

I think the thing about Oklahoma pounding teams like Cincinnati is a thing of the past... The big picture is that Oklahoma wins Big XII CGs and plays in BCS Bowls.

In the Switzer and Wilkerson Eras we did pound teams like that. Since Stoops came to town, we have seen some games where we pounded solid teams and when we did...the Media went crazy about it. Now what they see is an OU Team that walks away with a solid win on the road. An OU team that is unbeatable at Home.

If folks thought Stoops was going to be a clone of the old days....well that's a delusion as our Offense and Defense are completely different than what OU fielded in the Old Days. We now play 4 quarters of football and win lots of ball games. In doing so we find guys that win National Awards but don't get so much attention that they get so much attention that they take away attention from the team....they usually praise the help they got from their team mates.

Bottom line....Cincinnati played their asses off against us last night. IMHO we never looked like we were in danger of losing the game either.

The writer of that story was sensationalizing the outcome of the game is all.

As a TEAM....OU is no SLOUCH. They are the real deal.

Look out tejas....Bob is bringing another BEVO Killa.

sooner518
9/26/2010, 08:52 AM
I'd say that the writer who doesn't understand the meaning of the word "inconclusive" is pretty stupid as well...

tooslow
9/26/2010, 08:53 AM
I'm glad this article was written. Please give the team something to get motivated by. I really do hope we've been playing with little to no motivation. Uterus losing was a bad thing for this group. Now the nation expects us to win. They didn't expect is to beat FSU and look what happened.

sooner518
9/26/2010, 08:55 AM
This.

I was beside myself when they didn't jump it immediately! I thought we were going have another Allen Patrick incident. Inexcusable that your "hands" team does not know this rule...

Hey, Bob Davie didn't know the rule. Why should our players? ;)

OUthunder
9/26/2010, 08:59 AM

+1. Tough pill to swallow but some of our fans need to take off their crimson and cream colored glasses and admit that team is mediocre and plays stupid at times.

StoopTroup
9/26/2010, 08:59 AM
I'm glad this article was written. Please give the team something to get motivated by. I really do hope we've been playing with little to no motivation. Uterus losing was a bad thing for this group. Now the nation expects us to win. They didn't expect is to beat FSU and look what happened.

All Bob has to do is remind OUr guys about how they came after Sam and held on to win by a thread and then shove our face in bevo dung about not being qualified to play Florida in the Orange Bowl....what really gets them up is how uterus got their way and got a shot with Bama only to lose their QB and lose a shot at giving the Big XII another Team with a National Championship.

As much as it's cool to win a MNC for your University....it's just as cool to win it for your Conference. the whorns got the chance they wanted last year and embarrassed their University and their Conference IMO.

Plenty of ammo for Bob to use this week and get our boys fired up.

Soonerus
9/26/2010, 09:07 AM
You should expect press like this when you win a game like we did last night.

76soonergrad
9/26/2010, 09:16 AM
+1. Tough pill to swallow but some of our fans need to take off their crimson and cream colored glasses and admit that team is mediocre and plays stupid at times.

Special teams play. Inability to down the ball on the 1 or 2 yardline. 2 of our players ran into each other trying to down it. Having to punt from Uc's 35 yard line. Our penalties. We won, roll on big red.

jthomas666
9/26/2010, 09:19 AM
What a total dooshbag. How does someone get paid for being a total ****ing *******?He writes for CBSSports, LDO.

Soonermagik
9/26/2010, 09:20 AM
LOL!!!! Is this guy a disgruntled Cincinnati alumni?

Once again a lame argument. He said OU only won, because they were lucky enough to punch the ball out to save a touchdown. Umm... dude isn't that what good teams do? His argument is lame, because he mentions in his article that they got tons of penalties, played poor defense. However, they managed to win. Hence, they play their worst game of the season on the road and still win. Give OU credit... they won the game even with a lot of mistakes. What would have happened if they played their best? They likely win by 20+ points.

Scott D
9/26/2010, 09:45 AM
It's an epidemic of dumb, from the quarterback to the bench to the friggin' coaches on the sideline, assistant offensive coordinator Jay Norvell in particular, who drastically overestimated his self-worth in the second quarter, when he complained to officials loudly enough that he got hit with a 15-yard penalty for jerky officiousness. Can't wait to see how OU coach Bob Stoops handles that one. The penalty happened in front of Stoops, who realized too late that Norvell's alligator mouth was overloading his hummingbird ***. Just as Stoops was pushing Norvell away from the official, the flag was floating down like a bird dropping. It splattered the Sooners with another 15 yards of negative yardage.

Too bad he can't tell the difference between Bob Stoops and Cale Gundy.

soonervegas
9/26/2010, 09:52 AM
I think the best part about his "stupid" article is him confusing Cale Gundy for Bob Stoops in the Jay Norvell issue. Glass houses....

btb916
9/26/2010, 09:55 AM
I think the thing about Oklahoma pounding teams like Cincinnati is a thing of the past...

Huh? This makes no sense to me. Why is it a thing of the past? When Landry either (a) becomes an awesome junior/senior QB or (b) we get a much better QB and (c) we get more than one guy who will definitely catch any catchable ball, we will start pounding teams again. Hell, we just pounded Florida State and they are probably better than Cincy. This is just a young team that is making a lot of mistakes right now. I hardly see this as the downfall of the Stoops' pounding.

47Wins
9/26/2010, 10:02 AM

Go easy on our guys reaction to an on-side kick, they've seen a lot of replays of one where the kicking team touches it first, before it's gone 10 yards, does not recover the ball (because the ball is 15 yards away from the pile in the hands of an OU player) and the kicking team is "given
" the ball

LoveDemSooners
9/26/2010, 10:02 AM
I would love to punch this guy in the face

GrapevineSooner
9/26/2010, 10:04 AM
I agree with the tone of Doyel's column. And generally like his writing. Especially during his Hate Mail segment. I admire his ability to draw so many readers offside.

That having been said, he's demonstrably wrong on the Pead review. Replays clearly showed his forearm was down.

I still don't have a problem with what Jay Norvell did. He was simply defending his players. It's not like he had any physical contact with the player who delivered the late hit. He simply yelled at him.

And considering THERE WAS AN OFFICIAL TWO F***ING FEET AWAY FROM THE HIT AN NO FLAG WAS THROWN...Yeah, I'd be just a little pissed, too.

And not to mention, the Sooners missed a medium-range field goal and Kenney had a sure TD slip right through his hands.

I'm not happy that Quentin Carter let DJ Woods get behind them on a 3rd and 10 play with 11 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. And an argument could be made that he should have secured the ball better.

But Jonathan Nelson made a play to cause him to lose the ball.

If anything, the Sooners are maddeningly inconsistent on both sides of the ball. There were some dumb plays mixed in that certainly didn't help last night.

But it's not anything that's not correctable over the course of time. And they're still 4-0. After last season, I think I would have taken that no matter how heart stopping some of the wins have been.

GottaHavePride
9/26/2010, 10:09 AM

Our guys didn't think it was even going to make it ten yards. If it rolls dead it's a penalty. If we recover, we just take the ball there.

It's only a penalty if THEY touch it before it goes 10 yards, or if it stops without going 10 yards.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/26/2010, 10:09 AM
For What I saw ~ Cinncy is NOT a Bad Team - And if they don't have a bunch of injuries this Season they will prove their worth before the season is over...
I also expect Air Force to end up it a good bowl game - Also Watch Florida State to improve as the season goes on ~ AS far as our tackling - Yep looks like we need a lot of improvement - JMHO.....

Well, when they played NC State they looked downright awful, but when they played us they looked unstoppable. Same with Utah State. Let's quit sugar coating this ****. Our defense is an absolute train wreck.

TahoeSOONER
9/26/2010, 10:10 AM
CFB or football in general is a win or lose game. We're in the hunt playing sloppy football. I've seen championship calibar teams win ugly games. I'm sure this team can grow into a Championship team. We need to tackle better and ball hawk on defense and that starts upfront, with pressure on the dline. Settle down on offense and run the ball at Texas, impose our physical will. Beatem up upfront and believe were the better team. It's gonna be a war next week but I couldn't be prouder of this team. A ugly W is still a W.

sozo
9/26/2010, 10:10 AM

Pretty well.

47Wins
9/26/2010, 10:11 AM
We won, Cincy didn't, you suck.

bluedogok
9/26/2010, 10:53 AM
Maybe he needs to get a decent sized HDTV, watching the game on an old 13" SDTV you might not be able to see that he was indeed down when his elbow and entire forearm was on the ground. Too many media members don't know the rules including former coaches.

PDXsooner
9/26/2010, 10:58 AM
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I still enjoy games when OU wins, regardless of how it happens.

oupride
9/26/2010, 11:00 AM
Here's a stupid image for you
http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz352/oupride/stupid0.jpg
and another
http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz352/oupride/stupid4.jpg
and another
http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz352/oupride/stupid3.jpg
I'm pumped! Go Sooners beat saxet!

adoniijahsooner
9/26/2010, 11:02 AM
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I still enjoy games when OU wins, regardless of how it happens.

I'm with you

cvsooner
9/26/2010, 11:17 AM
I agree with the tone of Doyel's column. And generally like his writing. Especially during his Hate Mail segment. I admire his ability to draw so many readers offside.

That having been said, he's demonstrably wrong on the Pead review. Replays clearly showed his forearm was down.

I still don't have a problem with what Jay Norvell did. He was simply defending his players. It's not like he had any physical contact with the player who delivered the late hit. He simply yelled at him.

And considering THERE WAS AN OFFICIAL TWO F***ING FEET AWAY FROM THE HIT AN NO FLAG WAS THROWN...Yeah, I'd be just a little pissed, too.

And not to mention, the Sooners missed a medium-range field goal and Kenney had a sure TD slip right through his hands.

I'm not happy that Quentin Carter let DJ Woods get behind them on a 3rd and 10 play with 11 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. And an argument could be made that he should have secured the ball better.

But Jonathan Nelson made a play to cause him to lose the ball.

If anything, the Sooners are maddeningly inconsistent on both sides of the ball. There were some dumb plays mixed in that certainly didn't help last night.

But it's not anything that's not correctable over the course of time. And they're still 4-0. After last season, I think I would have taken that no matter how heart stopping some of the wins have been.

I mostly agree with you. Nelson did make a great play on punching the ball out. But the main point for me is he shouldn't have had to make that play. Our middle continues to get torched...due to our linebacker play. It's been a trouble for several years.

huskerland
9/26/2010, 11:19 AM
(A win is a win" :Bret Favre) Sooners will be just fine ! It's just one game! Husker fans are equaly disapointed in their teams preformance this week. Keep in mind that the Huskers played at home too! A couple of years from now niether team will remember Saturays games. The Sooners headed to Red River shootout and the Huskers to Manhattan. Let the wars begin.. Just be happy that your team wasn't ND or Ut yesterday!

CtheB
9/26/2010, 11:30 AM
I cannot disagree with much of what he said. Yes it is a win, but if you think we are going to continue winning games like this, you need to check yourself.

The soft part of the schedule is over, and now it's on to conference play. If these guys can just turn the switch on and fix these mistakes in a week, kudos to them. Problem is I just don't think they have the talent, experience or confidence to make it happen.

You just can't keep winning games like this, especially when the opponents become more familiar and the venues more intense.

sortiz1965
9/26/2010, 11:31 AM
I wrote Doyel an email and called him out on both the Pead call - he was clearly down and the replay left no doubt whatsoever - and the Norvell issue. Norvell was clearly out of line to get into it with the official. That said, the zebras missed a clear, flagrant, and dangerous hit on a player down on the ground. The Cincy player LED WITH HIS HELMET after the play was dead. That should have been a 15 yarder and an immediate ejection for that jerk.

But, Doyel is right to point out that our defensive line and linebackers are getting absolutely shredded against the run and are putting very little pressure on opposing QBs. And the penalties point to a clear lack of discipline. The secondary, which I thought would be the weak spot heading into the season, is growing right before our eyes. These guys are going to be big time players once they gain some consistency. They were tough and never gave up on plays, even on those when they got burned. Jonathan Nelson is already a stud.

Doyel seems to forget this Cincy team is better than its record, and is coming off consecutive BCS bowl appearances. Plus, they were essentially playing a home game; their fans were LOUD and into it the entire game. Winning in this kind of atmosphere, even winning ugly, showed me this team has a lot of grit. They never gave up. If they correct the mistakes and the lack of discipline, there's no reason to think they can't have a legit shot at another Big XII title and a berth in a BCS bowl.

setem
9/26/2010, 11:41 AM
When is all of that BS did he mention Woods handing us the game? You wanna talk about stupid! The kid muffed a simple fair catch and it is not mentioned in this crap?

BoulderSooner79
9/26/2010, 11:51 AM
What I don't get is when does not being elite equate to being stupid? Is it because OU has fielded elite team on a regular basis, so it is stupid when they don't? The team is young and learning on the job and the core players will be the basis of an elite squad - probably starting next year and extending into '11 and '12. This team will be a success if they get us from where we were last year to where we want to be (elite) by the beginning of next year. The ride will be bumping, but should be entertaining if we take it for what it is.

Jboozer
9/26/2010, 12:14 PM
He is an idiot. Every year we come out, and blow out all of our non-conference games (except for last year), then we get to the meat of our schedule, and have a let down. It may not be pretty right now, but we are learning how to win, rather than relying on superior talent. Like someone said, Alabama struggled at times last year, then came up big in the big games. It doesn't matter how we win, if we win them all we are national champs.

Leroy Lizard
9/26/2010, 12:41 PM
I'm glad this article was written. Please give the team something to get motivated by.

I was kind of hoping that our team would get motivated because they want to win, especially against Tejas.

BoulderSooner79
9/26/2010, 12:56 PM
I was kind of hoping that our team would get motivated because they want to win, especially against Tejas.

+1 Desire to win seem as good a motivator as any - but i'm old school I guess.

stoopified
9/26/2010, 01:15 PM
Notice he mentioned their miss opps. but failed to address our 17 ponts missed.... Stupid.He also failed to mention that we DID stop the Semen holes,where did that crack that USU was the only team we can stop come from?He also failed to mention the stupidity of the ref who missed thw BLATANT penalty call that triggerred Norvell's outburst. IMHO this dude is just another Skip Bayless wannabe who has an ax to grind with OU.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/26/2010, 02:02 PM
trying to figure out why I took the time to read that

Soonerfan88
9/26/2010, 02:20 PM
Doyel is best friends with Greg Swaim - nothing more needs to be said.

rawlingsHOH
9/26/2010, 03:18 PM
Cincinnati tailback Isaiah Pead ran for 169 yards, and he needed just 21 carries to do it, and he would have run for more than 200 yards had a 76-yard carry in the third quarter not been reviewed and changed -- unfairly, I'd say -- to a 13-yard gain when officials determined that his elbow had hit the ground. I saw the same replays the officials saw, and that elbow might have hit the ground. Probably it hit the ground. Inconclusively it hit the ground? No way. But the call was made, and instead of first-and-goal at the 4, Cincinnati was back at its 33. Instead of a likely touchdown, the Bearcats scrambled for a field goal that possession.
Uh, completely laughable. It was clear as day to anyone with either a brain, or an unbiased take.

turner78
9/26/2010, 03:29 PM
I wouldnt wipe my @$$ with the paper this was printed on

stoops the eternal pimp
9/26/2010, 03:30 PM
sports journalism is dead

StoopTroup
9/26/2010, 04:35 PM
Doyel is best friends with Greg Swaim - nothing more needs to be said.

We could thorw this in....

Gregg Doyel was born in Hawaii. (with Obama :D) He grew up in Mississippi where his father was a law professor at the University of Mississippi. Doyel attended high school in Georgia, where he was an accomplished all-state athlete in soccer, and attended college at the University of Florida, where he was a sports writer for the Independent Florida Alligator.

Leroy Lizard
9/26/2010, 05:00 PM

I can see why he claims to be a Sooner fan, with that background.:rolleyes:

Okie35
9/27/2010, 02:55 PM
CBS = SEC

Tulsa_Fireman
9/27/2010, 03:10 PM

Hey, my daughter plas soccer!

Oh. :D

SoonerWarMachine#1
9/27/2010, 03:17 PM

Enough said, he's a soccer player. . .

Tulsa_Fireman
9/27/2010, 03:26 PM
So is Tim Howard and he's a baaaaaaaad mutha...

Shut yo mouth!

TUSooner
9/27/2010, 03:30 PM
So what if the guy is a tool? That doesn't mean he's not correct about some unpleasant things.

And stop making excuses for BV! :D

TUSooner
9/27/2010, 03:36 PM
Oh, by the way.....
We alreday had a thread on this article.
Just sayin'
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145093

olevetonahill
9/27/2010, 03:42 PM
trying to figure out why I took the time to read that

Cause Yer STUPID , Pay Tention :P

oumartin
9/27/2010, 04:07 PM
I really dont' see alot wrong with the column, I dont' think he needs the name calling but other than that he seems almost spot on.

Mississippi Sooner
9/27/2010, 04:13 PM
As much venom as he put into the article, you'd think he lost about $27,500 on the game.

swardboy
9/27/2010, 04:27 PM
The changes in recruiting rules from since Wilkinson's days make Stoop's conference championship record a minor miracle. Can you imagine being able to give schollies just to keep players off the field for opponents?

tator
9/27/2010, 04:32 PM
sports journalism is dead
RIP ESPN

jumperstop
9/27/2010, 04:39 PM
RIP ESPN

One could only hope. Well acctually I would be very sad without ESPN and their plethora of games and sports, but not their so called 'journalist'. ESPN's kinda like crack, can't live with it, can't live without it.

Dio
9/27/2010, 04:46 PM
This is the same tool that wrote that OKC would never ever get an NBA team

texaspokieokie
9/27/2010, 04:52 PM
The changes in recruiting rules from since Wilkinson's days make Stoop's conference championship record a minor miracle. Can you imagine being able to give schollies just to keep players off the field for opponents?

like tx & other big schools couldn't do the same ?

olevetonahill
9/27/2010, 04:57 PM

like tx & other big schools couldn't do the same ?

Way to much money floating around these days Back in da day when TeeVee didnt show every game. Only the wealthiest schools could afford that tactic. Now every dayum school in the country get TeeVee time and a decent Payday.

Besides those players who have talent wont sit on the bench now a days they can go else where and Play and still have a decent shot at the NFL

texaspokieokie
9/27/2010, 05:01 PM
Way to much money floating around these days Back in da day when TeeVee didnt show every game. Only the wealthiest schools could afford that tactic. Now every dayum school in the country get TeeVee time and a decent Payday.

Besides those players who have talent wont sit on the bench now a days they can go else where and Play and still have a decent shot at the NFL

was OU one of the wealthiest schools ??
certainly no more than tx.

olevetonahill
9/27/2010, 05:05 PM
was OU one of the wealthiest schools ??

YES

certainly no more than tx.

Didnt say we were:rolleyes:

texaspokieokie
9/27/2010, 05:15 PM
which means tx & other wealthy schools were doing the same or similar.

olevetonahill
9/27/2010, 05:35 PM

which means tx & other wealthy schools were doing the same or similar.

Do you have trouble reading ? or just with Compression :P

texaspokieokie
9/27/2010, 05:41 PM
i can read better since you made the letters bigger.

olevetonahill
9/27/2010, 05:44 PM
i can read better since you made the letters bigger.

Thot that might hep.:P

texaspokieokie
9/27/2010, 05:57 PM
THANX !!!!!!!!

Mile High Sooner
9/27/2010, 07:00 PM
Maybe the Video Refs were simply trying to make up for the inconclusive, forearm on the ground, Peed run by giving Cinci the TD at the end of the game; even though it certainly appeared pretty damn conclusive that the TE's left foot was OB at the 3, way before the ball touched the goal line pylon.

Unless, of course, we got to see a camera angle they didn't have and they don't allow a DVR with a pause button in the Video Booth. Then that call makes perfect sense. :rolleyes: