PDA

View Full Version : If a Tree Falls in the Forest

Sooner04
9/25/2010, 09:56 PM
but no one hears it, did it really fall?

If Cameron Kenney is a receiver, but he can't catch, is he really a receiver?

Blue
9/25/2010, 09:57 PM
Booo. He looked fine the first few games. He had a bad night.

sooner59
9/25/2010, 09:58 PM
And no one hears it, did it really fall?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/just_in_the_mood/ExplodingHead.gif

misplaced_sooner
9/25/2010, 09:58 PM
Considering he had an off night, so did Murray. If you really consider how poorly the O and D played overall, combined with poor play calling... I can't believe it will happen two weeks in a row. They come to play against UT.

sooner59
9/25/2010, 10:01 PM
Considering he had an off night, so did Murray. If you really consider how poorly the O and D played overall, combined with poor play calling... I can't believe it will happen two weeks in a row. They come to play against UT.

Air Force
Cincy

That is 2 weeks in a row.

rawlingsHOH
Booo. He looked fine the first few games. He had a bad night.

2 good games, 2 terrible games.

Peach Fuzz
pffft shatty thread... stuff happens

stoops the eternal pimp
9/25/2010, 10:04 PM
He must be one of the greatest practice players ever

sooner59
9/25/2010, 10:06 PM
He must be one of the greatest practice players ever

THIS.^

Soonermagik
9/25/2010, 10:16 PM
He's made some big catches this season too. His dropped pass tonight really hurt us, but let's give him another chance.

On a side note, Stills, Miller & Broyles looked really good.

sooner59
9/25/2010, 10:24 PM
We just keep giving him second chances and it keeps backfiring. I want him to do well, but when you are just continuously dropping passes, there isn't much you can do but give someone else a chance.

Sooner04
9/25/2010, 10:33 PM
Needs to be some accountability. They'll yank the kicker but not the wideout? :)

It's not like they're going to revoke his scholarship or anything. Just get me somebody in there who can catch the ball!

Okie35
9/25/2010, 10:35 PM
2 good games, 2 terrible games.

He'll play well next week.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/25/2010, 10:39 PM
I think Miller has earned a starting spot with his recent play.

Soonerus
9/25/2010, 10:48 PM
Why the H is Kenney playing ???

meoveryouxinfinity
9/25/2010, 10:50 PM
In theory I think pulling Kenney's starting job is a bad idea. Kid obviously has mental problems with catching the ball. This could only make it worse.

But Miller is too damn good not to start. At this point, Stills is better than Kenney. You start the best you have. Not everybody can start. Just the truth.

sooner59
9/25/2010, 10:56 PM
In theory I think pulling Kenney's starting job is a bad idea. Kid obviously has mental problems with catching the ball. This could only make it worse.

But Miller is too damn good not to start. At this point, Stills is better than Kenney. You start the best you have. Not everybody can start. Just the truth.

If you are a WR and you can't catch, you ride the pine. If someone is better, you play them instead. There isn't a law that says Kenney has to play. I have never been overly impressed with him at any time he has been on the field. When he has a nice play, it is something that he should have done. If he drops it, its a drop someone like Miller is unlikely make. I had high hopes for Kenney, but his potential was never realized and people who are behind him are playing better.

Collier11
9/25/2010, 10:58 PM
Kenney can get open on anyone and he can block great for a WR, thats why he plays. Having said that, he blew it tonight big time

meoveryouxinfinity
9/25/2010, 11:00 PM
If you are a WR and you can't catch, you ride the pine. If someone is better, you play them instead. There isn't a law that says Kenney has to play. I have never been overly impressed with him at any time he has been on the field. When he has a nice play, it is something that he should have done. If he drops it, its a drop someone like Miller is unlikely make. I had high hopes for Kenney, but his potential was never realized and people who are behind him are playing better.

yes that's what i said in the unbolded portion of my post :D

Regardless of who's "starting", Miller should be on the field more than Kenney and should be getting more balls thrown his way than Kenney. You don't have to be a coach to figure this one out.

Collier11
9/25/2010, 11:01 PM
But you need to know something about football...Miller is bad in his routes and lazy with blocking at times. Stoops knows more about his players than you do, trust me

Having said that, hopefully Stills and Miller will step up the intensity and solidify their PT this coming week

VA Sooner
9/25/2010, 11:01 PM
He made some big drops... D Miller rises back up again in my book on those key third down catches. The two of them go back and forth.

Stills is a stud and worth his weight in gold. Takes the load off of Broyles.... a bit.

The RRR next week will elevate their play...

rawlingsHOH
9/25/2010, 11:11 PM
But you need to know something about football...Miller is bad in his routes and lazy with blocking at times. Stoops knows more about his players than you do, trust me

Having said that, hopefully Stills and Miller will step up the intensity and solidify their PT this coming week

I see his blocking as one of Dejuan's strengths.

StoopTroup
9/25/2010, 11:14 PM
I beleive being a good blocker is something of an advantage if you can also pick off every pass that's thrown your way too.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/25/2010, 11:17 PM

...because the blocking by the WRs was great this week.

edit: I know there is a reason Kenney is starting. If it was that easy, Miller would be out there. But there is no reason why Miller isn't getting as many balls thrown his way. There's no blocking when you're catching...

Collier11
9/25/2010, 11:22 PM
Im just saying that Miller has been super inconsistent in practice, its obvious that kenney is that in games

rawlingsHOH
9/25/2010, 11:28 PM
Im just saying that Miller has been super inconsistent in practice, its obvious that kenney is that in games

No doubt. But I think we've seen now over the past year and a half, when Miller gets in a game, he can make plays fairly consistently. Unless it is an attitude problem or something, you'd think that his performance on Saturdays will start to out weigh the practice shortcomings.

Collier11
9/26/2010, 12:58 PM
We need Stills and Miller to stretch the field, if they can do that I think Landry has proven so far this year that he is better. He played really well lastnite other than 1 bone head play

setem
9/26/2010, 01:03 PM
God forbid a WR drop a pass!

MISTAKES HAPPEN! Sometimes you **** up! Man I am glad I coach baseball if we got **** on every time someone struck out we would have a gun in our mouth!

Leroy Lizard
9/26/2010, 01:13 PM
Needs to be some accountability. They'll yank the kicker but not the wideout? :)

It's not like they're going to revoke his scholarship or anything. Just get me somebody in there who can catch the ball!

I imagine WRs are much like QBs and need continuous confidence boosts from the coaching staff. Yanking him probably wouldn't improve his play.

I am sure the fans have have dogged many players that have come back to have great careers at OU. If the coaching staff still believes in him, I'm good with it.

CrimsonJim
9/26/2010, 01:15 PM

Miller showed some intensity against Cincy. He was jawing with the dbacks and begging for the ball after that Norvell penalty. Next thing ya know, he blows by the defender for a long gain. I hope he continues to improve.

85sooners
9/26/2010, 01:38 PM
i love stills

Collier11
9/26/2010, 01:47 PM

MISTAKES HAPPEN! Sometimes you **** up! Man I am glad I coach baseball if we got **** on every time someone struck out we would have a gun in our mouth!

Completely diff, he dropped a bunch of passes last year, he dropped a cpl last week and dropped a huge one lastnight. He is a good blocker and has proven he can get open but his drop lastnite nearly killed us

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/26/2010, 02:21 PM

so does nickzepp but they ban him all the time.

rawlingsHOH
9/26/2010, 02:48 PM

In baseball, approx 1 out of every 6 ABs are going to end in a SO. You can't afford that type of ratio with dropped passes.

soonerinabilene
9/26/2010, 02:56 PM
In baseball, approx 1 out of every 6 ABs are going to end in a SO. You can't afford that type of ratio with dropped passes.

in baseball, 33% gets you on the all star team. in football, you get on the scout team.

Leroy Lizard
9/26/2010, 03:22 PM

Yeah, well we don't want any of that AB action happening around too many SOs.

btk108
9/26/2010, 09:33 PM
yah.....I'm gonna say stick with him, he's shown he can catch it this season...he's just going to have to get his head right.

Harry Beanbag
9/26/2010, 10:11 PM
I don't understand the Kenney apologists at all. Kid has been dropping balls for a year and a half. When he does catch it he is weak and fragile. I wish everyone the best, but he's more than had his shot.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/26/2010, 11:04 PM
Ooo.... Ooo... I'll play!

"If a Texas fan is in a forrest, and is wearing lots of burnt orange whorn garbage, and is screaming really loudly "Wur Texas" and "Texas Fite", but no one sees him, and no one hears him, does he still SUCK?"

SoonerBacker
9/26/2010, 11:12 PM
I'm always amazed at how many Sooner fans know so much more about coaching the game than Stoops & Co. Think you can do a better job of getting players on the field who will execute the plays? Think you're better at calling the game than our current staff? Apply for the job!

That said, we're 4-0. Kick texa**!

Sooner Eclipse
9/26/2010, 11:14 PM
Ooo.... Ooo... I'll play!

"If a Texas fan is in a forrest, and is wearing lots of burnt orange whorn garbage, and is screaming really loudly "Wur Texas" and "Texas Fite", but no one sees him, and no one hears him, does he still SUCK?"

Don't need no science class to figure that one out..... Indeed, he most definitely still SUCKS!!!!!!!!!:texan:

pilobolus
9/27/2010, 09:39 AM

I thought we weren't supposed to criticize OU football and basketball players and coaches?

Leroy Lizard
9/27/2010, 10:39 AM
I don't understand the Kenney apologists at all.

You mean, like Coach Stoops? The guy who keeps playing him?

He must have some upside if the coaches want him on the field.

Leroy Lizard
9/27/2010, 10:40 AM
I thought we weren't supposed to criticize OU football and basketball players and coaches?

Criticizing his skill is one thing. Criticizing him is another.

ouleaf
9/27/2010, 12:03 PM
Kenney can get open on anyone and he can block great for a WR, thats why he plays. Having said that, he blew it tonight big time

exactly....he has been great on blocking his guy on run plays to the outside and for Broyles on the screen passes. Also runs really good routes and may be one of the best athletes on the team. Still have to come down with the ball though. he'll put in a ton of work on improving that. I still have faith in the guy.

PLaw
9/27/2010, 01:05 PM

I really don't get hammerin' kids who are out there trying their best. Coaches and administrators are fair game because they get paid darn well to do what they do. But a kid??? Sorry, just can't go there.

BOOMER

badger
9/27/2010, 01:22 PM

I'm already discussing it in another thread involving Hartley, but I think we all know that kickers are an entirely different story. Everyone is allowed to screw up but a kicker. Missing field goals or extra points are fatal, whereas dropped passes, fumbles, INTs, missed assignments, allowing sacks, etc. is frowned upon, but forgivable.

Poor Kenney. I still think he will bounce back and do something amazing.

pilobolus
9/27/2010, 01:32 PM
Criticizing his skill is one thing. Criticizing him is another.

Unless you are 04, then you can type whatever you want about anyone you wish, and not only is it okay, it is gospel.:rolleyes:

Okie35
9/27/2010, 02:12 PM
Like I said the other day just wait he'll have a big game Saturday quote me on this.

goingoneight
9/27/2010, 02:20 PM
All I'll say is I hope if this thing about starting CK over Miller continues that CK pulls an Iggy post-Colorado and lights up Texas.

I don't see anything other than CK's speed, though that gives him an edge.

Okie35
9/27/2010, 02:24 PM
All I'll say is I hope if this thing about starting CK over Miller continues that CK pulls an Iggy post-Colorado and lights up Texas.

I don't see anything other than CK's speed, though that gives him an edge.

He'll have a Miami-esque(or even FSU) game. He'll step up big time I think.

sooner59
9/27/2010, 08:09 PM
I really don't get hammerin' kids who are out there trying their best. Coaches and administrators are fair game because they get paid darn well to do what they do. But a kid??? Sorry, just can't go there.

BOOMER

Then my question to whichever coach decides to play him over others, presumably Norvell/Wilson since Stoops lets the offensive coaches do whatever they want basically, is what is the reason?

Is it better to run crisp routes and drop the ball or run lazy routes and outjump a short corner and catch the ball since you are 6-4? Is it better to have a WR on the field that unreliable at catching the ball but can block well or is it better to have a WR that block just decent but catches much better and one more target to take some heat off of Broyles and Stills?

I think Kenney has some serious skills, but maybe can't get out of his own head. Is it like the catcher from "Major League" that can't get the ball back to the pitcher? Do we need to get Kenney a playboy to read on the sidelines? :D

I want to believe that he is going prove to be a playmaker, but every time he drops a ball, it scares the hell out of me because that is sometimes the difference between a win and a loss, or a championship and just another year. I don't hate the kid. I just wonder how bad the rest of our WR bunch is if we keep playing a guy that is that unreliable. Norvell has to be coaching them to get better. Maybe we just have some below average guys on the depth chart. IDK.

btk108
9/27/2010, 09:08 PM
I may just start calling him "Stonehands" again....it worked last time

Leroy Lizard
9/27/2010, 10:43 PM
Is it better to run crisp routes and drop the ball or run lazy routes and outjump a short corner and catch the ball since you are 6-4?

Nice loaded question.

oumartin
9/27/2010, 10:48 PM
if Sooner04 comes up missing does anyone really care?

The Maestro
9/27/2010, 11:22 PM
Wow...so many noobs on here...you should give 04 his respect.

Me, 04, Soonerus, HB and others can see the forest even while standing amongst the trees.

I see this as bizzaro Torrance Marshall. I remember after his TD INT against Texas A&M in 2000 Venables said that Torrance blew that play in practice all week. Ya know what? When the lights were on, Torrance knew what to do.

Meanwhile, folks like Ryan Reynolds, Cam Kenney and Tom Wort apparently practice like Dick Freaking Butkus...but melt in the heat of the moment.

Give me 11 Torrance Marshall's...Ronnell is one of those kind, but BV apparently doesn't trust him enough because his football IQ is too low. You mean like Vince Young, his 6 on the Wonderlic and his greatest game in championship game history in college football???

Some guys have it...some guys don't.

God love CK and his full ride scholly...enjoy the experience...and keep Dejuan on the field, PLZKTHNKX!!!!!

Sooner04
9/27/2010, 11:36 PM
if Sooner04 comes up missing does anyone really care?
My dog would miss me.

Collier11
9/27/2010, 11:38 PM
Wow...so many noobs on here...you should give 04 his respect.

Me, 04, Soonerus, HB and others can see the forest even while standing amongst the trees.

I see this as bizzaro Torrance Marshall. I remember after his TD INT against Texas A&M in 2000 Venables said that Torrance blew that play in practice all week. Ya know what? When the lights were on, Torrance knew what to do.

Meanwhile, folks like Ryan Reynolds, Cam Kenney and Tom Wort apparently practice like Dick Freaking Butkus...but melt in the heat of the moment.

Give me 11 Torrance Marshall's...Ronnell is one of those kind, but BV apparently doesn't trust him enough because his football IQ is too low. You mean like Vince Young, his 6 on the Wonderlic and his greatest game in championship game history in college football???

Some guys have it...some guys don't.

God love CK and his full ride scholly...enjoy the experience...and keep Dejuan on the field, PLZKTHNKX!!!!!

You lost me at Ryan Reynolds, he may have had his limitations due to knee injuries but that guy didnt bust assignments

oumartin
9/27/2010, 11:40 PM
people here go balistic if someone questions a coach but bashing players is okay? I don't get it.

Collier11
9/27/2010, 11:44 PM
I think its a fine line, being critical is one thing but bashing is a whole other

Leroy Lizard
9/27/2010, 11:48 PM
Give me 11 Torrance Marshall's...

We don't have 11 Torrance Marshalls. We have Tom Wort and Cam Kenney and the rest of the crew. Those are who we have. They are here, but they could have chosen to go somewhere else. They decided to become Sooners, and for that I am thankful. You should be too.

Cam Kenney didn't drop the pass on purpose. Tom Wort doesn't try to miss tackles. As long as they try their best, what else can we ask for?

I had Proctor Land in one of my classes. The dude didn't criticize my teaching. So what right do I have to criticize his playing?

(And no, Proctor Land probably wouldn't recognize me today. I barely remember him.)

Collier11
9/27/2010, 11:53 PM
We don't have 11 Torrance Marshalls. We have Tom Wort and Cam Kenney and the rest of the crew. Those are who we have. They are here, but they could have chosen to go somewhere else. They decided to become Sooners, and for that I am thankful. You should be too.

Cam Kenney didn't drop the pass on purpose. Tom Wort doesn't try to miss tackles. As long as they try their best, what else can we ask for?

I had Proctor Land in one of my classes. The dude didn't criticize my teaching. So what right do I have to criticize his playing?

(And no, Proctor Land probably wouldn't recognize me today. I barely remember him.)

I disagree a bit here, while I am glad they chose to go to OU it doesnt make up for their play. CFB is a big time business, OU football is big time football, if the guys who you have out there arent doing their job you replace them. Now obviously both have shown potential to be good but when a loss can cost your school $13 million, can you afford to keep a guy out there who lets TDs go right through his hands on fairly routine basis?

With Kenney, the guy is a good blocker but he also dropped some potentially game changing passes last year too

And how do you know he didnt criticize your teaching?

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 12:00 AM
I disagree a bit here, while I am glad they chose to go to OU it doesnt make up for their play. CFB is a big time business, OU football is big time football, if the guys who you have out there arent doing their job you replace them.

And I have no problem with replacing them if the coaches feel they must. But there is no need to cry because you had players in the past that outperformed them.

Tom Wort is probably better than his backup, which is why Tom Wort is higher on the depth chart. So you want his backup in there instead?

I'm just saying that we should avoid taking it to the personal level when criticizing players. Criticize their play, not them.

Collier11
9/28/2010, 12:09 AM
I have to agree with ya Leroy

oumartin
9/28/2010, 12:09 AM
I disagree a bit here, while I am glad they chose to go to OU it doesnt make up for their play. CFB is a big time business, OU football is big time football, if the guys who you have out there arent doing their job you replace them. Now obviously both have shown potential to be good but when a loss can cost your school $13 million, can you afford to keep a guy out there who lets TDs go right through his hands on fairly routine basis?

With Kenney, the guy is a good blocker but he also dropped some potentially game changing passes last year too

And how do you know he didnt criticize your teaching?

yes, but these players aren't making 300,000 a year. Here is my problem with this whole getting on the players and sucking up to coaches.
While you should know basic fundamentals and whatnot when you get on campus it's a coaches job to continue to teach. it's a coaches job to gameplan and make adjustments and it's a coaches job to pull a kid and replace him when he's not getting the job done.

Since everyone on this board thinks OU is blessed to have the greatest coaches in the universe then who are we to question that they think Cam kenny and Wort should be starting. Who are we to question why Ronnell Lewis isn't playing or why Dejuan Miller doesn't see the field.

To me if a player isn't getting it done on the field then why the hell is he on the field then? Wouldn't that be poor coaching? I mean we can't question the coaching can we? What about guys missing tackles and dumb@ss penalties? Certainly players should be held responsible but it doesn't appear they are because if they were being held responsible they wouldn't be on the field.

Again, I'm not saying players are above critisism but I have a real problem with the hatred some people have toward folks like Cameron kenny. Don't blame him for starting and having stone hands. Blame the position coach and offensive coordinator for letting him see the dang field.

Wort missing tackles again? Why is he playing? Why isn't he doing tackling drills until he can tackle in his sleep?

This sooner teams issues are more about coaching and lack thereof then any player having stone hands or too many penalties and missed tackles. It's a direct reflection oh how these kids are coached or not coached and how they are not being held accountable for what they do.

Collier11
9/28/2010, 12:14 AM
Well I personally never said not to criticize coaches and I certainly dont want players dogged.

There is a reason they are on the field, Kenney has been able to get open on anyone and can block really well, the problem is that he loses concentration and drops alot of passes. I really hope he makes some big plays this week but I also know that I wouldnt mind seeing Miller and Stills catch more passes

oumartin
9/28/2010, 12:26 AM
I'm not accusing you of it but this thread was started due to Kenny not being able to catch everything thrown his way.

I mean these kids are doing something 99.9% of us could never do by playing for division 1 athletics. the .1 % being 04 and numb_skull of course.

Harry Beanbag
9/28/2010, 02:53 AM
yes, but these players aren't making 300,000 a year. Here is my problem with this whole getting on the players and sucking up to coaches.
While you should know basic fundamentals and whatnot when you get on campus it's a coaches job to continue to teach. it's a coaches job to gameplan and make adjustments and it's a coaches job to pull a kid and replace him when he's not getting the job done.

Since everyone on this board thinks OU is blessed to have the greatest coaches in the universe then who are we to question that they think Cam kenny and Wort should be starting. Who are we to question why Ronnell Lewis isn't playing or why Dejuan Miller doesn't see the field.

To me if a player isn't getting it done on the field then why the hell is he on the field then? Wouldn't that be poor coaching? I mean we can't question the coaching can we? What about guys missing tackles and dumb@ss penalties? Certainly players should be held responsible but it doesn't appear they are because if they were being held responsible they wouldn't be on the field.

Again, I'm not saying players are above critisism but I have a real problem with the hatred some people have toward folks like Cameron kenny. Don't blame him for starting and having stone hands. Blame the position coach and offensive coordinator for letting him see the dang field.

Wort missing tackles again? Why is he playing? Why isn't he doing tackling drills until he can tackle in his sleep?

This sooner teams issues are more about coaching and lack thereof then any player having stone hands or too many penalties and missed tackles. It's a direct reflection oh how these kids are coached or not coached and how they are not being held accountable for what they do.

You're absolutely correct. I'm not one of the ones that think we have the best coaches in college football though. I'm on record against that actually. My thoughts on Kenney and Wort are directed at the coaching staff, not the kids themselves. I know the kids are trying hard, maybe too hard even.

But in the end, all I can do is cus at my TV.

Crucifax Autumn
9/28/2010, 02:57 AM
That's actually my favorite hobby. I even do it when the set is turned off.

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 03:47 AM
That's actually my favorite hobby. I even do it when the set is turned off.

I dunno, Crucifax. I think you already divulged your favorite hobby on this board.

Crucifax Autumn
9/28/2010, 04:08 AM
I have several. I'll abandon them all though if we can see you and 04 in a Star Trek Pon Far battle to the death. For some reason, my money's on you.

budbarrybob
9/28/2010, 06:44 AM

Dunno, maybe play someone else who actually performs well on the field?

The Maestro
9/28/2010, 07:27 AM
We may not have 11 Torrance Marshall's, but we have Ronnell Lewis...and the fact a guy who just continually makes plays every time he is in a game doesn't get one snap against Air Force is quite odd. I guarantee you some of the missed tackles by Wort would have been people getting flat laid out by Lewis. As for Kenney, sure wish DeJuan Miller would have been the one with the ball thrown his way on the passes I have seen dropped.

You accept the scholly to OU and put on the helmet, you are subject to criticism...nothing personal...I support the team. But coaches spend the pre season bragging about how great some folks are...and maybe they should just remain quiet until proven under the lights.

pilobolus
9/28/2010, 08:42 AM
It is the coaches' responsibility to go out and recruit and coach up players so we don't have to be concerned about middle linebacker for the fifth year in a row going into the Texass game.

Crucifax Autumn
9/28/2010, 10:22 AM
Less filling!

Harry Beanbag
9/28/2010, 12:12 PM
It is the coaches' responsibility to go out and recruit and coach up players so we don't have to be concerned about middle linebacker for the fifth year in a row going into the Texass game.

Luckily, they don't still have Jordan Shipley.

Collier11
9/28/2010, 12:13 PM
They have his brother though apparently :eek:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/28/2010, 01:40 PM
i don't really see the point of this thread. there are a lot of people who are right and they are arguing with each other.

why they even paid kevin sumlin his last 2 years i have no idea. this has been part of an ongoing problem for us -> once a position coach becomes a coordinator the talent at their position starts to slide. of course, their average recruiting stars go up. take from that what you will. norvell has went out and gotten some kids that look good though. not world beaters like broyles/clayton, but good traditional receivers.

yes, ryan reynolds was assignment sound. no he wasn't a good linebacker until his senior year (and then against the run only). i spent a lot of time watching renolds "perfect game" against UW. why? because calmus never got it, lehman never got it. i wanted to know what a perfect game in our linebacker coach's eyes was. after you've watched it 2-3 times it becomes apparent that what venables grades on isn't what i, as a fan, associate with great linebacker play. great linebackers have the ability to push the line of scrimmage into the opponents backfield before the ball is even snapped. bosworth, dante jones, calmus, rufus, marshall, lehman, mike coats, -> whatever the era, they seem to always be disrupting plays and causing the running back/quarterback to improvise. if the defense is a pack of ravenous dogs, a great linebacker is the pack leader out in front - the rest trust him so much that they act as one. tell me you've sat there as a fan and feel that way with any of our linebackers over the last 5 years.

here is a video of TGRW, since i couldn't find one of calmus. watch the sheer amount of pressure that he puts on the line of scrimmage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyj3C47CTIs

from 1999 to 2005 did you feel like any running back could get the edge on one of our linebackers? they'd do a toss sweep and you just knew it was a tackle for loss. every single time, you knew it. it was a complete shock when they blew a tackle or didn't get there. can you say that now?

so yes, there is merit when they say our defense hasn't been the same since mike left. mainly because our linebacker talent just isn't where it needs to be. and of all the positions where we lack talent, linebacker is the one that i just can't understand. OU has always had great linebackers. i mean #75 on our all time list would be #1 on about half the colleges in division 1's lists. and that falls on venables.

just like if mike had stayed the fact that we had zilch point nothing defensive backs in the cupboard would have been laid on his feet.

just like if chuck long had stayed the fact that we had zilch point nothing quarterbacks in the cupboard would have been laid on his feet.

just like if mangino had stayed the fact that we had zilch point nothing OL in the cupboard would have been laid on his feet.

just like if sumlin had stayed the fact that we had zilch point nothing WRs in the cupboard would have been laid on his feet.

Collier11
9/28/2010, 01:48 PM
I would agree but dont you think that the reason TRRW was able to wreak so much havoc in the backfield was due to those D-lines, especially DTs pushing the line back so much?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/28/2010, 01:56 PM
I would agree but dont you think that the reason TRRW was able to wreak so much havoc in the backfield was due to those D-lines, especially DTs pushing the line back so much?

that was in 2001, our DTs were read/react at that stage. it wasn't until 2007ish where they started having the DTs penetrate.

so the general strategy was to clog the middle with the DL with one linebacker in support. this forced the action at either the WLB or the SS. that was the genius of mike stoops -> as long as he had great safety and linebacker play he could force an opposing team to hammer against his strengths. of course, if safety play fell off then he was incredibly vulnerable over the top.

the problem with our current design is that instead of team defense its more individual defense. other teams just pick on our weakest players and go to town. most of cinci's yards came from picking on jefferson and wort.

Collier11
9/28/2010, 01:58 PM
True, the bend and dont break only works when it doesnt break

Jello Biafra
9/28/2010, 02:03 PM
i dont know why it matters if kenney STARTS...they all rotate anyway

stoopified
9/28/2010, 02:08 PM
Everyone who thinks Bob should bench Kenney should call Bob at 1-877-600-6432 tonite between 7-8 or go by the RED LOBSTER in Norman and slip him a note.I'm sure Coach Stoops will appreciate the input.