PDA

View Full Version : Chow for OC!

Tigeman
9/25/2010, 09:48 PM
Man I've defended the guy for a while, and still will. But say KW leaves for a HC job somewhere, what you all say we go after Norm Chow? He made Muschamp look stupid today, and that's pretty tough to do now matter what you wanna say. Guy does well w/ talent, w/ 3 mNC's under his belt as OC at 2 diff schools.

rawlingsHOH
9/25/2010, 09:49 PM
But Chow was very predictable and runs the pistol. Sooner Fan would hate him.

sooner59
9/25/2010, 09:49 PM
Chow is pretty good at his job. Just hasn't had much to work with at UCLA. I don't know that I would want him, though.

mightysooner
9/25/2010, 09:50 PM
I'd love to have him. First legitimate OC we've had here since Leach left.

Tigeman
9/25/2010, 10:00 PM
But Chow was very predictable and runs the pistol. Sooner Fan would hate him.

Predictable enough to rip us for 55. Oh NVM... I forgot that game didn't happen :D

If not chow, I'd like Gus Malzahn but I don't think we steal him from Auburn anytime soon. Especially now that he's got the QB he needs to run his system... of course Cam's only there for 1 more year.

Soonermagik
9/25/2010, 10:30 PM
No way!! He's been horrible for the most part at UCLA. He was terrible with the Titans. He was on a great staff at USC!!

mightysooner
9/25/2010, 10:32 PM
Right. And he can be on a great staff at OU.

Tigeman
9/25/2010, 10:41 PM
No way!! He's been horrible for the most part at UCLA. He was terrible with the Titans. He was on a great staff at USC!!

The guy doesn't exactly have much to work w/ at UCLA! Besides, Neuheisel has been known to step on Chow over there and override his calls consistently. Which is also the reason they are running the Pistol....not cause Chow wanted it, it was b/c Neuheisel said to chow, this is what we're gonna run", now implement it.

RJSooner
9/25/2010, 11:14 PM
say KW leaves for a HC job somewhere

funny.

VA Sooner
9/25/2010, 11:16 PM
Guy knows how to coach... I'll give him that...

To be a fly on the wall when the review the game notes/film...

Soonermagik
9/25/2010, 11:16 PM
Sorry guys, but this is a knee jerk reaction. People love Norm Chow for one game and that was the national title against USC.

USC just clicked on all cylinders. OU was predictable. He's really done nothing since then.

stoopified
9/25/2010, 11:25 PM
I t is amazing how good coaches are when they have players named Sims,Bradford,Selmon,Harris ,Clayton,AD,Bosworth etc.Defensive coaches become geuises,offensive coaches become brilliant strategists

BTW anyone who thinks Leach is the BEST OC Stoops has had hasn't been paying attention.

Tigeman
9/25/2010, 11:32 PM
Sorry guys, but this is a knee jerk reaction. People love Norm Chow for one game and that was the national title against USC.

USC just clicked on all cylinders. OU was predictable. He's really done nothing since then.

Knee Jerk? I've always liked the guy and thought he was a killer OC! Yes he made Muschamp look stupid today, but the guy is proven. Show me another college O.C. in the country w/ 3 National Championships on 2 different teams?

I'll be waiting while you back to me w/ that!

Soonermagik
9/25/2010, 11:37 PM
Knee Jerk? I've always liked the guy and thought he was a killer OC! Yes he made Muschamp look stupid today, but the guy is proven. Show me another college O.C. in the country w/ 3 National Championships on 2 different teams?

I'll be waiting while you back to me w/ that!

I believe he's only won 2 national titles one with BYU & one with USC. USC was a monster of a team, but I give total credit for BYU.

He's fallen off for a long time. HE WAS FIRED FROM THE TITANS. I'll be waiting for you to get back with me on that one.;) This is his 1st big win with UCLA and he's been there awhile.

I'm not saying he's terrible, but let's see what UCLA does the rest of the year.

Tigeman
9/26/2010, 12:06 AM
2003 SC got the AP title, while LSU got the BCS title. So that's 3.

Never said he was a great pro O.C. We've seen how the transition from College to pro goes, and vice versa... look at Saban for example. I'm not putting much stock into how he performs at UCLA period, they have ZERO to work w/. But perhaps you missed the part where I said
The guy doesn't exactly have much to work w/ at UCLA! Besides, Neuheisel has been known to step on Chow over there and override his calls consistently. Which is also the reason they are running the Pistol....not cause Chow wanted it, it was b/c Neuheisel said to chow, this is what we're gonna run", now implement it.

pappy
9/26/2010, 04:57 AM
I'd take norm chow over kw tomorrow if chow called and asked about the job.

King Barry's Back
9/26/2010, 05:16 AM

Never said he was a great pro O.C. We've seen how the transition from College to pro goes, and vice versa... look at Saban for example. I'm not putting much stock into how he performs at UCLA period, they have ZERO to work w/. But perhaps you missed the part where I said

Didn't USC lose that 2004 'ship? So, he's got one questionable NC from BYU, and a non-BCS 'ship at USC -- earned while LSU and OU were playing for the legit title in Nawlings.

Nothing at all against Chow. He is a great OC, but claiming his greatness based on NCs is pretty suspect.

Soonermagik
9/26/2010, 09:11 AM

The AP title lol. Dude, you actually have to go to a title game to claim a win. That AP title is trash and you know it. Ole Pete only has one national title win. Winning in a national championship game is a huge thing, because everything is on the line. Being given an AP championship is nothing, because you didn't actually have to play for all the marbles i.e no pressure.

We can agree to disagree. I've been wrong before and will admit so if UCLA comes back. I just think it was a decent win against a bad Texas team. Don't forget UCLA fans were calling for Norm's head when they lost at home like 31-0 against Stanford. Let's just see what happens with UCLA over the course of the season.:)

OUthunder
9/26/2010, 09:14 AM
Chow would be a TREMENDOUS upgrade over Wilson. Hell, I would be a TREMENDOUS upgrade over Wilson, lol.

Tigeman
9/26/2010, 12:11 PM
The AP title lol. Dude, you actually have to go to a title game to claim a win. That AP title is trash and you know it. Ole Pete only has one national title win. Winning in a national championship game is a huge thing, because everything is on the line. Being given an AP championship is nothing, because you didn't actually have to play for all the marbles i.e no pressure.

We can agree to disagree. I've been wrong before and will admit so if UCLA comes back. I just think it was a decent win against a bad Texas team. Don't forget UCLA fans were calling for Norm's head when they lost at home like 31-0 against Stanford. Let's just see what happens with UCLA over the course of the season.:)

Not so much, we'd have a banner up if we were given the AP title one year. Sometimes I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have the AP title than the BCS title. It's a little bit more credible to me. But like you said, we can agree to disagree!

That being said, lets forget UCLA, you can't look at them. They have NO ONE!!!! Forget the TX win, as it has no bearing, they simply ran...period... not much scheming involved there. UCLA will not be good, and never will be while he's there.

Scott D
9/26/2010, 12:51 PM
I believe he's only won 2 national titles one with BYU & one with USC. USC was a monster of a team, but I give total credit for BYU.

He's fallen off for a long time. HE WAS FIRED FROM THE TITANS. I'll be waiting for you to get back with me on that one.;) This is his 1st big win with UCLA and he's been there awhile.

I'm not saying he's terrible, but let's see what UCLA does the rest of the year.

To be fair, part of Chow's problem in Tennessee was that his schemes aren't designed for a Vince Young, and he was pretty vocal about the Titans getting someone who wasn't Vince Young, and more of a pocket passer.

Problem at UCLA has been 1. the cupboard was bare in regards to talent, and 2. he hasn't had a single QB make it through an entire season.