PDA

View Full Version : Do not coach girls soccer

PDXsooner
9/24/2010, 03:12 PM
That is, if you want to be able to watch any college football on Saturdays. Hell, I remember the days of waking up, watching Gameday, suffering through the early Big Ten ESPN games, and gorging myself on football all day.

Nowadays, I get up, load the car, and coach 2nd grade girls soccer. Of course, it always turns into a social fest afterwards, followed by errands, and half the time I haven't turned the TV on until 3 or 4.

Anyone else in this predicament? Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy it, and wouldn't sacrifice it just to plant myself on the couch all day...but I do yearn for the days of yesteryear sometimes.

Peach Fuzz
9/24/2010, 03:17 PM
dude... where's your spine?? ;)

PDXsooner
9/24/2010, 03:21 PM
dude... where's your spine?? ;)

Ha! I actually would have said the same thing before I had kids. Honestly, I wouldn't do it any differently. It's a sacrifice worth making...but a sacrifice nonetheless!

stoops the eternal pimp
9/24/2010, 03:26 PM
Thats why I don't let my kids play soccer..they play baseball, softball, and basketball

Peach Fuzz
9/24/2010, 03:38 PM
thats why I don't let my kids get out of the condom :rolleyes:

Flagstaffsooner
9/24/2010, 04:08 PM
Hell, I refed Womens College intermural soccer. Lost alot of bearded clam,

Landthief 1972
9/24/2010, 04:50 PM
That is, if you want to be able to watch any college football on Saturdays. Hell, I remember the days of waking up, watching Gameday, suffering through the early Big Ten ESPN games, and gorging myself on football all day.

Nowadays, I get up, load the car, and coach 2nd grade girls soccer. Of course, it always turns into a social fest afterwards, followed by errands, and half the time I haven't turned the TV on until 3 or 4.

Anyone else in this predicament? Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy it, and wouldn't sacrifice it just to plant myself on the couch all day...but I do yearn for the days of yesteryear sometimes.

I had the dreaded fall soccer curse in 2004. There's no worse torture than watching 9-year-olds play soccer (badly) while listening to Bob Barry Sr. call the game (badly). That was also the year of the Rooster Kickoff, when I think 6 of OU's games were at 11:30, so we never got to see kickoff, it seemed.

fossil
9/24/2010, 05:19 PM

Nowadays, I get up, load the car, and coach 2nd grade girls soccer. Of course, it always turns into a social fest afterwards, followed by errands, and half the time I haven't turned the TV on until 3 or 4.It i

:) It is a good thing you do coaching these girls. I know it cuts into your football watching time, but what you're doing is important to those little girls.

tulsaoilerfan
9/24/2010, 05:31 PM

Enjoy it while u can; our only son is a Junior in High School and even though it took alot of my time, i really do miss being involved with his teams and wouldn't trade any of those experiences for anything

tulsaoilerfan
9/24/2010, 05:32 PM
:) It is a good thing you do coaching these girls. I know it cuts into your football watching time, but what you're doing is important to those little girls.

So true and u should be commended for doing it

TahoeSOONER
9/24/2010, 06:07 PM

Saint! You're earning your wings.

goingoneight
9/24/2010, 06:12 PM
thats why I don't let my kids get out of the condom :rolleyes:

^^^ This.

TXBOOMER
9/24/2010, 06:56 PM
My daughter plays soccer. I go to all of her games that don't interfere with my OU football plans.

Crucifax Autumn
9/24/2010, 09:05 PM
I might die next year when I get my boy in football next year. apparently the little guys always play on Saturday.

oudavid1
9/24/2010, 09:12 PM
sounds to me like a really good dad. College football isnt going anywhere, but your kids grow up before you know it.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/24/2010, 09:36 PM
I might die next year when I get my boy in football next year. apparently the little guys always play on Saturday.

The good thing about coaching 5th, 6th, and 7th grade is that their games are on Tuesday..

texaspokieokie
9/25/2010, 07:27 AM
have no kids; but i gotta believe that spending time with them is many times more important than college (or any game) football !!!!!

you are doing yourself & your kids a great favor.

PLaw
9/25/2010, 09:21 AM
Amigo, stop whining. It's part of having kids - just hunker down, suck it up, and be a Dad.

Get creative - a small radio with an ear bud works great. It got me through the kids' Saturday sport years and that was way before smart phones. You have a lot more options and readily available info.

Your kids will remember these Saturadays for the rest of their lives. Likely, you will have a hard time remembering who OU played.

Teach your kids to be SOONERS

BOOMER

soonervegas
9/25/2010, 09:24 AM
sounds to me like a really good dad. College football isnt going anywhere, but your kids grow up before you know it.

Agreed. I am in the same position right now. When you are lying on your death bed you aren't going to be thinking about that OU-Air Force game from 2010 you missed. It's only 5 or 6 years anyway......then they will be done with you.

PDXsooner
9/25/2010, 09:56 AM
Agreed. Unfortunately due to my wife's family both daughters consider themselves Ducks. It hurts to say it.

Chiliman
9/25/2010, 10:07 AM

Dude, my children are now 29, 26 and 22. Two girls and a boy. They all played sports, including soccer (which I despise with every fiber of my being).
I missed a lot of things following them to every activity. Quit playing golf, sold a boat and usually drove the same car for 4-5 years. I never missed any of
their activities. They all came to expect to see mom and dad @ every event. Absolutely no regrets. God, I give anything to do it all over again. I'm actually getting a little emotional typing this. Don't ever miss anything. You'll not regret it and your daughter will always remember it.

StoopTroup
9/25/2010, 10:51 AM
I've got mine on Human Growth Hormones and they will both be sporting Gods. They'll be so good that all I'll have to do is once a month endorse the checks that say :Thanks Dad...We couldn't have done it without you and Dr. Frankenstein. Tell Mom Hello. Love Thing One and Thing Two.

Soonerus
9/25/2010, 10:56 AM
It is part of the "bonding" process...get over it...

PDXsooner
9/25/2010, 11:16 AM
I'm off in a few...The Sharks have an 11 O'clock game....It's a sunny Saturday and I actually wouldn't wanna be doing anything else today!!!

Sooner Traveler
9/25/2010, 12:37 PM
TIVO!!

Record OU - coach your kids games. You will sleep much better at night and have fewer regrets.

auto
9/25/2010, 01:13 PM
When I was growing up, soccer was played weekday evenings. Nothing interferes with hunting or OU Football.

PLaw
9/25/2010, 03:55 PM

Uhhhh, what's that old time song - oh yeah, CATS IN THE CRADLE. Just play it every day and those fall Saturdays won't seem so tough.

Hang in there and don't blink because it's going to be gone before you know it.

BOOMER

starrca23
9/25/2010, 04:13 PM
My 3rd grade daughter plays soccer. They had the 10:30 game today for which I was grateful. They had a come from behind 2-1 WIN!!! Now ready to watch the Sooners take care of business.

Sooner_Rog
9/25/2010, 04:37 PM
Having 3 girls and two boys myself, college football has suffered but those kids are priority. You get major man points for the sacrifice for family, college football will always be available when the kids are grown, so keep your priorities straight. Lots of dads would trade all their college football Saturdays for one day with a lost or estranged child.

Carry on...