PDA

View Full Version : Mike Leach going to Universty of New Mexico

bent rider
9/23/2010, 01:51 PM
Current UNM Coach Locksley has been a walking disaster, on the field and off.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/report-new-mexico-to-fire-coach-hire-mike-leach-29028

Mad Dog Madsen
9/23/2010, 01:57 PM
Interesting...

BillyBall
9/23/2010, 01:59 PM
I went to grad school at UNM, this would be ****ing awesome!!!!!

badger
9/23/2010, 02:02 PM
I was listening to Mikey as SMU was beating Wazzu, and I thought, "Mikey should go to Washington State, be quirky, and they might actually be worth mentioning for something other than the College Gameday flag again."

After all, Mikey wanted to get an interview for the Washington job opening.

But... New Mexico. hmmm.... no. hold out for a bcs conference school, mikester.

bent rider
9/23/2010, 02:02 PM
I was googling for further info and there was a "tweet" result that Ted Liggett, Leach's lawyer, was denying the UNM rumor.

I guess we have to wait for ol' Chip Brown to confirm ;)

Mississippi Sooner
9/23/2010, 02:03 PM
Locksley sounds like a loser on several levels.

texaspokieokie
9/23/2010, 02:16 PM
I was listening to Mikey as SMU was beating Wazzu, and I thought, "Mikey should go to Washington State, be quirky, and they might actually be worth mentioning for something other than the College Gameday flag again."

totally agree !!!!

ouduckhunter
9/23/2010, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=badger;2960643]I was listening to Mikey as SMU was beating Wazzu, and I thought, "Mikey should go to Washington State, be quirky, and they might actually be worth mentioning for something other than the College Gameday flag again."

I think that's what a lot of Wazzu fans out here were hoping too! I've heard his name mentioned a lot lately.

badger
9/23/2010, 02:30 PM
What would be really cool is if they could make New Mexico football meaningful to the fans to the point that the school would be worthy of a BCS conference, because they have a pretty solid mens bball program right now and wouldn't be a bad Big 12/11/10 invite down the road.

Then again, Mikey took Tech places and fans still didn't show up. I never went to a game in Lubbock without ample legroom.

Interesting note that the prez of New Mexico is the former Tech prez who hired Leach. Very, very interesting

I think that's what a lot of Wazzu fans out here were hoping too! I've heard his name mentioned a lot lately.
They would be fine with one of the other meanie fires too, either Mangino or Leavitt. Those two could take a crappy program and at least get it going on the right foot again.

I really, really wish Mikey was commentating on a game worth watching. SMU vs Wazzu was a rebroadcast when I saw it and I only tuned in because I was like "Wonder if Mikey's there..." and lo and behold :D

ouduckhunter
9/23/2010, 02:43 PM
They would be fine with one of the other meanie fires too, either Mangino or Leavitt. Those two could take a crappy program and at least get it going on the right foot again.

I really, really wish Mikey was commentating on a game worth watching. SMU vs Wazzu was a rebroadcast when I saw it and I only tuned in because I was like "Wonder if Mikey's there..." and lo and behold :D

Yup, poor Wazzu would probably be totally thrilled with Mangino or Leavitt! They just cannot get their program in gear, and I actually feel sorry for them. They are so out in the middle of no where that supposedly the drinking is out of control, even for a college campus/town. There is absolutely nothing to do, so everybody gets drunk. If Leach was coaching there, he would have definitely have opportunities to talk about drunken little girlfriends! I don't know if they're fat too, but definitely drunk! :)

EstablishedSooner1967
9/23/2010, 03:00 PM
Anywhere but okie st. I was hoping to see him go to CU or another bigger named school.. not the Lobo's

badger
9/23/2010, 03:16 PM
Yup, poor Wazzu would probably be totally thrilled with Mangino or Leavitt! They just cannot get their program in gear, and I actually feel sorry for them. They are so out in the middle of no where that supposedly the drinking is out of control, even for a college campus/town. There is absolutely nothing to do, so everybody gets drunk. If Leach was coaching there, he would have definitely have opportunities to talk about drunken little girlfriends! I don't know if they're fat too, but definitely drunk! :)

The Wazzuers were nice at the Rose Bowl. True story - one saw my mom at the airport wearing OU earrings (after the game, but of course) and asked if she could trade one of her Wazzu earrings for one of her OU earring to remember the game by. Mom said that she couldn't because her dear daughter gave them to her as a gift.

I was all like MOM! It was the Rose Bowl! You should have totally taken her up on that offer! And she's all like "but you gave them to me"

Mom also apparently was very upset when dad crashed the back of her van into a tree branch... not because of the back windshield, but because of the OU Mom sticker that her dear daughter gave to her :rolleyes:

Oh, mother.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/23/2010, 03:21 PM
Minnesota will be rid of Brewster soon. Love to see Leach terrorize the Big 10 (and Nebbish, heh!) with the air raid...

TMcGee86
9/23/2010, 03:25 PM
This would be awesome if he could start stealing recruits in Tech's backyard.

Nothing would make me happier than to see sand aggies cry having to watch Leach win games right next door.

oudavid1
9/23/2010, 03:29 PM
YYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!1

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badger
9/23/2010, 03:29 PM
Minnesota will be rid of Brewster soon. Love to see Leach terrorize the Big 10 (and Nebbish, heh!) with the air raid...

Minnesota - those guys just built their own stadium, too! Yeah, forever they were at the Vikings's Hubert H. Faildome but finally decided that they wanted to have their home on campus to play football in... and they really haven't had much to show for it yet. Poor gophers

KantoSooner
9/23/2010, 03:35 PM
Meh, he should wait for Leslie to get fired at LSU and go there. I don't like the school, but, after all, it IS pirate country.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/23/2010, 03:38 PM
Minnesota - those guys just built their own stadium, too! Yeah, forever they were at the Vikings's Hubert H. Faildome but finally decided that they wanted to have their home on campus to play football in... and they really haven't had much to show for it yet. Poor gophers

They are genuinely atrocious under Brewster. It's not even fun FAIL like they had under Jim Wacker. It's just kind of sad.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/23/2010, 03:39 PM
BTW, "the Bank", as they call it at the U, really is an awesome stadium. They have a nice call out of Wilkinson there, too.

badger
9/23/2010, 03:40 PM
Meh, he should wait for Leslie to get fired at LSU and go there. I don't like the school, but, after all, it IS pirate country.

LSU fans deserve Lester. Keep Lester forever, never win the SEC or the BCS ever again, but you'll get fabulous recruits and questionable coaching decisions to go with your new, expensive facilities :D

GKeeper316
9/23/2010, 03:41 PM

if he can build up thier programm into something worth a ****, who's to say new mexico couldnt join the big 12? we happen to have a couple open spots...

StoopTroup
9/23/2010, 04:20 PM
Former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach's attorney scoffs at rumors of Leach being hired by New Mexico

A rumor broke out Thursday that New Mexico was in position to hire former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach.

However, Leach's Lubbock-based attorney Ted Liggett said there is no truth to the rumor, according to CollegeFootballTalk.com.

"There is zero truth to these reports," Liggett told CollegeFootballTalk.com. "None. You can quote me on that," the Lubbock-based attorney said. "There have been no discussions with anyone [regarding potential future openings] as far as I know. And I would know."

Liggett also told CollegeFootballTalk.com he had coincidentally talked to Leach's agent Thursday and the agent had nothing new to report about Leach.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/09/former-texas-tech-coach-mike-leachs-atto.html

KantoSooner
9/23/2010, 04:21 PM
Now all we need is for it to be true and one more person in Lubbock can look dumb.

StoopTroup
9/23/2010, 04:28 PM
Current UNM Coach Locksley has been a walking disaster, on the field and off.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/report-new-mexico-to-fire-coach-hire-mike-leach-29028

Also...it's not a big deal...but you spelled university wrong.

stoopified
9/23/2010, 04:44 PM
LSU fans deserve Lester. Keep Lester forever, never win the SEC or the BCS ever again, but you'll get fabulous recruits and questionable coaching decisions to go with your new, expensive facilities :DBingo

Leroy Lizard
9/23/2010, 04:53 PM
I doubt LSU would take Leach. They probably consider his offenses a bit too gimmicky and his defenses too weak.

AlbqSooner
9/23/2010, 07:46 PM
Leach would not be able to take UNM to a respectable level. Pressure from the alumni is to recruit in-state players. Understand that all my life I have been considered short (5'7") UNTIL I moved to New Mexico. Now I am above average height and, despite my old fart belly, I am also below average weight. There are exceptions, but New Mexico is NOT a hot bed of recruiting.