PDA

View Full Version : UT Students Trying to Change RRS date for 2011

yankee
9/23/2010, 12:39 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/092310dnspoblogutrrr2011.11dbb90f2.html

they got it wrong, it's not tx-OU, it's OU-tx.

StormySooner-IN
9/23/2010, 12:44 PM
Hmmmm.

Aren't football games played on Christmas...?

SCOUT
9/23/2010, 12:46 PM
Is it wrong that my first thought was, "Sweet, there should be more tickets available next year"?

**Does the question mark go inside the parenthesis even when the quote itself isn't a question?

StormySooner-IN
9/23/2010, 12:51 PM
Is it wrong that my first thought was, "Sweet, there should be more tickets available next year"?

**Does the question mark go inside the parenthesis even when the quote itself isn't a question?
I say No to both.

rawlingsHOH
9/23/2010, 12:55 PM
LMFAO!

Sooner74
9/23/2010, 01:05 PM
My first thought was choose one or the other? Is it that hard? If you are truly religious it is a no brainer. It seems like these are the hypocrits coming out of the woodwork.

yermom
9/23/2010, 01:05 PM
OU/Texas is for football, you can get corny dogs any other day of the fair :D

85sooners
9/23/2010, 01:07 PM
:D

Widescreen
9/23/2010, 01:07 PM
My first thought was choose one or the other? Is it that hard? If you are truly religious it is a no brainer. It seems like these are the hypocrits coming out of the woodwork.

Not necessarily. I can understand the concern and them raising it. However, like you said, ultimately they may just have to make a choice.

5thYearSooner
9/23/2010, 01:08 PM
Hmmmm.

"a day dedicated to fasting and repentance"

Christmas = EAT + DRINK + FOOTBALL.
Yom Kippur = NOT Christmas

SoonerPr8r
9/23/2010, 01:09 PM
They need that day of "fasting and repentance" before or after the weekend that they practice in drunkenness, pride and profanity.

Also, all college football games are on the sabbath.

CatfishSooner
9/23/2010, 01:12 PM
lame...

surprise anyone else that 10% of fexas' students are jewish/??

Crucifax Autumn
9/23/2010, 01:14 PM
Just when you think whorns can't be bigger retards.

soonerborn30
9/23/2010, 01:16 PM
meh. It's not like it's actually going to happen. Let them have their little "cultural awareness 101" party and be done with it.

StormySooner-IN
9/23/2010, 01:33 PM
"a day dedicated to fasting and repentance"

Christmas = EAT + DRINK + FOOTBALL.
Yom Kippur = NOT Christmas
Yea....but Christmas believe it or not was some sort of religious holiday at one point.

Either way.....what they said ^^^^^^^^

TexasLidig8r
9/23/2010, 01:43 PM
I'm sure we have NEVER played a football game on Yom Kippur in the past.. ever... :rolleyes:

Let's keep enforcing that pesky Freedom of Religion constitutional right as long as it is advantageous to our own faith.

Texas and Ou are public institutions. I would PERSONALLY file a lawsuit and seek injunctive relief if these jackwagons were successful.

D - bags. :mad:

yermom
9/23/2010, 01:46 PM
to be fair, they seem to move it around for some reason year to year anyway. like this year it's not on the 2nd Saturday, wasn't last year either.

anyone know why they do that?

Mississippi Sooner
9/23/2010, 01:50 PM
Every time they show the Texas part of the crowd on tv this year, I'm going to see if I can count the orange yarmulkes.

TXBOOMER
9/23/2010, 01:57 PM
I didn't realize texass has so many Jewish fans. I know they have alot of mexican fans...I see them wearing their shirts everyday. I guess these people need to focus on the purpose of their religion and what that day means to them more than the date of a football game.

Oldnslo
9/23/2010, 02:05 PM
uh, I have the chance to choose, every so often, whether I want to go to Temple or to go to the game. This year, if anyone cares, the AF game was on Yom Kippur Day (the day starts at sundown). I went to Erev Yom Kippur services the night before and then went to the game the day of. I chose to fast the day before, but more observant Jews wouldn't think of changing the date of their fast, any more than most of y'all would think of celebrating Easter Thursday.

Don't think "Christmas" in reference to YK. It's more like if you combined the importance of Christmas, Easter, and Lent into one holiday, took away the gifts and food, and were just left with the repentance.

Sandy Koufax chose to go to services instead of pitching Game 1 of the World Series. It's a day of sacrifice, y'all.

That being said, as it is a day of sacrifice, observant Jews would choose, without hesitation or remorse, to go to services. Period.

No, you can't have my tickets.

TMcGee86
9/23/2010, 02:22 PM
I'm sure we have NEVER played a football game on Yom Kippur in the past.. ever... :rolleyes:

Let's keep enforcing that pesky Freedom of Religion constitutional right as long as it is advantageous to our own faith.

Texas and Ou are public institutions. I would PERSONALLY file a lawsuit and seek injunctive relief if these jackwagons were successful.

My thoughts exactly. Why should 90% of the population be burdened because 10% are unhappy. Not only that but the whole point of the day, as pointed out by the article, is fasting, i.e. giving up something you like as a tribute to God. By moving this they are basically saying yeah sure God whatever you want, just so long as it's not something we really like.

These assclowns should be ashamed. Is it a f-ing sacrifice or isn't it?

prrriiide
9/23/2010, 02:27 PM
to be fair, they seem to move it around for some reason year to year anyway. like this year it's not on the 2nd Saturday, wasn't last year either.

anyone know why they do that?

I read somewhere that the scheduling is a league function and it has to do with a complex formula involving the start of the season and when Labor Day falls. I think there are also rune stones and the advent of the Dog Star humping Orion's leg are involved.

Wow, Lid. You almost make me actually *GULP* like a texass fan.

I gotta go shower now.

ouduckhunter
9/23/2010, 02:28 PM
For them to be forced to choose between the holiest day in Judaism, and the biggest day of the year for Texas football (and the events surrounding the game) is unfair."

Life's not fair! Get over it people!!

oudivesherpa
9/23/2010, 02:31 PM
lame...

I'm surprised it's only 10%, when UT only takes the top 8% then it's easy to see why there are 10%+ Jewish kids there. I teach HS, most of the very top students are Jewish.

rawlingsHOH
9/23/2010, 02:44 PM
Big Tex, anti-semite!

sooner_born_1960
9/23/2010, 02:49 PM
uh, I have the chance to choose, every so often, whether I want to go to Temple or to go to the game. This year, if anyone cares, the AF game was on Yom Kippur Day (the day starts at sundown). I went to Erev Yom Kippur services the night before and then went to the game the day of. I chose to fast the day before, but more observant Jews wouldn't think of changing the date of their fast, any more than most of y'all would think of celebrating Easter Thursday.

Don't think "Christmas" in reference to YK. It's more like if you combined the importance of Christmas, Easter, and Lent into one holiday, took away the gifts and food, and were just left with the repentance.

Sandy Koufax chose to go to services instead of pitching Game 1 of the World Series. It's a day of sacrifice, y'all.

That being said, as it is a day of sacrifice, observant Jews would choose, without hesitation or remorse, to go to services. Period.

No, you can't have my tickets.
Play an OU football game on Easter, and we're hunting eggs on Thursday around my house.

EstablishedSooner1967
9/23/2010, 02:58 PM
Oy vey!

LePetomaine
9/23/2010, 03:32 PM
Agree with Oldnslo; sometimes life just says "Johnny, you have to choose". Myself, I would not really care if the game moved from one Sat. to another. But, don't push your agenda on everyone else. Make your choice, dvr the game -- even if you inadvertantly hear the final score, you can still watch good football.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/23/2010, 03:45 PM
OU/Texas is for football, you can get corny dogs any other day of the fair :D

kosher ones?

soonerboy_odanorth
9/23/2010, 03:46 PM
So we have this... yet somehow getting BYU to come onboard to a re-formed BigXII would present scheduling difficulties (mostly in non-revenue sports, btw)???

Spritekid
9/23/2010, 04:02 PM
Play an OU football game on Easter, and we're hunting eggs on Thursday around my house.

I don't care who you are that there's the truth!!!

:texan:

rawlingsHOH
9/23/2010, 04:24 PM
So we have this... yet somehow getting BYU to come onboard to a re-formed BigXII would present scheduling difficulties (mostly in non-revenue sports, btw)???

Not seeing the connection. As BYU, of course, is a private Mormon school, that doesn't play games on Sundays.

StoopTroup
9/23/2010, 04:24 PM
whorn students should change it, that way it will open up a bunch of seats for Sooner Fans. The day they go...they won't have to put up with us or watching their team get thumped. :D

DenverSooner751
9/23/2010, 04:25 PM
My thoughts exactly. Why should 90% of the population be burdened because 10% are unhappy. Not only that but the whole point of the day, as pointed out by the article, is fasting, i.e. giving up something you like as a tribute to God. By moving this they are basically saying yeah sure God whatever you want, just so long as it's not something we really like.

These assclowns should be ashamed. Is it a f-ing sacrifice or isn't it?

THIS!

Absolutely ridiculous.....

You put it best "just so long as it's not something we really like." They're placing God 2nd behind OU-TX...........the faithfully weak make me chuckle when they try to rationalize this.

Soonersince57
9/23/2010, 04:28 PM
lame...

Do you think even 1% of the 10% even know what Yom Kippur is?

StoopTroup
9/23/2010, 04:34 PM

He's their deep snapper? :mack:

jumperstop
9/23/2010, 04:46 PM

I would say so. If you're Jewish you should know what the most holy holiday is. Of course there are still Christians out there who probably don't know about Lent or other lesser known holy dates.

But who cares if it's Yom Kippur on OU-tx? I mean what is a petition going to do? Nothing. It isn't just up to UT to determine scheduling, it is something that will have to go through the conference and even if UT gets enough Jews to sign their petition, so many other things would have to happen. If it's really that big of a deal to miss the game, just don't practice Yom Kippur. God will always be there the next day to forgive you, the football gods won't...

SoonerBacker
9/23/2010, 04:49 PM
For them to be forced to choose between the holiest day in Judaism, and the biggest day of the year for Texas football (and the events surrounding the game) is unfair."

Wait! I thought all of the horns claim that OU fans are the one who hang everything on this game! To them, it's just another football game! :confused:

BYRK
9/23/2010, 05:47 PM
RELIGION= :rolleyes:

swardboy
9/23/2010, 07:02 PM
Can I have your tickets?

Widescreen
9/23/2010, 07:57 PM
RELIGION= :rolleyes:

LOL. You signed up to post that. Maybe post #2 won't be lame.

StoopTroup
9/23/2010, 08:06 PM
Religious Terrorist....lol

goingoneight
9/23/2010, 08:09 PM
If you want to go to whatever Jewish celebration, I'll buy your tickets at, say... ten bucks a piece? :D

soonerinabilene
9/23/2010, 08:21 PM
I'm surprised it's only 10%, when UT only takes the top 8% then it's easy to see why there are 10%+ Jewish kids there. I teach HS, most of the very top students are Jewish.

i had no idea there were Asian Jews.

goingoneight
9/23/2010, 08:33 PM
"That's Racist!" .gif in 3, 2, 1...

prrriiide
9/23/2010, 09:05 PM
If you wish to opine...

https://webspace.utexas.edu/jaa2562/Public/welcome.html

WARNING:

FAILURE TO WEAR PROTECTIVE EYEWEAR WHEN VIEWING THIS HIDEOUS ORANGE SITE MAY RESULT IN PERMANENT RETINAL DAMAGE

I suggest a name like Phil Yacrack or Woody Richards or 65-13. Also, sign in as a texass donor. OU fans spend a lot of money in texass that weekend.

sooneron
9/23/2010, 10:26 PM
lame...

Wow, I'm sure that a person, like you, that is so well traveled that has actually known jewish people came to this brilliant ****ing conclusion without being a stupid ****ing bigot. But, I doubt it. Love ya Adolf.:rolleyes:
Srsly, we have NO use for you these days. FOAD.

yankee
9/23/2010, 11:15 PM
If you wish to opine...

https://webspace.utexas.edu/jaa2562/Public/welcome.html

WARNING:

FAILURE TO WEAR PROTECTIVE EYEWEAR WHEN VIEWING THIS HIDEOUS ORANGE SITE MAY RESULT IN PERMANENT RETINAL DAMAGE

I suggest a name like Phil Yacrack or Woody Richards or 65-13. Also, sign in as a texass donor. OU fans spend a lot of money in texass that weekend.

lmao.

what a bunch of hypocrites.

i hope the higher-ups from UT get some balls and strike this down if it gets far enough.

goingoneight
9/23/2010, 11:35 PM
Jew-T??? :D

Bourbon St Sooner
9/24/2010, 08:41 AM
"Next year, Texas-OU weekend falls on Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the Jewish year, a day dedicated to fasting and repentance. The event is more than the game itself. It is the state fair, the fried foods, college GameDay, and the atmosphere of a neutral site game that cannot be duplicated. Over ten percent of undergraduate students at the University of Texas (as well as countless alumni, season ticket holders, and other supporters) are Jewish. For them to be forced to choose between the holiest day in Judaism, and the biggest day of the year for Texas football (and the events surrounding the game) is unfair."

Uh, isn't it kind of the point of the day that you sacrifice something to show your repentence? It's like Lent. If I gave up sex for Lent, it wouldn't be a sacrifice since I don't get any anyways.

47straight
9/24/2010, 05:01 PM
Nearly every college ballgame is on the Sabbath anyways.

TXBOOMER
9/24/2010, 06:54 PM
Schmucks!

Herr Scholz
9/24/2010, 08:18 PM
Wow, I'm sure that a person, like you, that is so well traveled that has actually known jewish people came to this brilliant ****ing conclusion without being a stupid ****ing bigot. But, I doubt it. Love ya Adolf.:rolleyes:
Srsly, we have NO use for you these days. FOAD.
Thanks, sooneron. At least you called out his bigotry. Just wow.

Boomer Mooner
9/24/2010, 09:14 PM
Yom Kippur, it's the most whinerful time of the year...at least for Whorns. And that's saying something.

jwlynn64
9/25/2010, 02:18 AM
Wait! I thought all of the horns claim that OU fans are the one who hang everything on this game! To them, it's just another football game! :confused:

Thanks for catching this as well. This was the one thing in the article that stood out to me. Proves the point that Oklahoma is their biggest rival.

Of course it would be nice if we started winning this game with a little more regularity. Hope we can make this the first of 10 (or more) in a row.

soonerinkaty
9/25/2010, 02:49 AM
I'm half Hebrew and a Christian..does that make me confused, or just right?

Flagstaffsooner
9/25/2010, 10:25 AM
http://www.stretchingabuckblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/hebrew-national-franks-printable-coupon.jpg

I got the coney prob fixed.:D

meoveryouxinfinity
9/25/2010, 10:33 AM

I think they played the Spring Game on easter sunday once....

texaspokieokie
9/25/2010, 10:40 AM
I'm half Hebrew and a Christian..does that make me confused, or just right?

means you get to celebrate all the holidays.

GottaHavePride
9/25/2010, 12:20 PM
Hmmmm.

No. They are not. There are exactly zero bowl games on December 25.

And I fail to see how a statistically significant portion of the students and alumni of a school petitioning to move a game off a religious holiday is a bad thing. I guarantee you if OU had to play a game on Christmas day every Christian church in the state would throw a fit. At least these students are being polite, going through channels, and filing a petition. They're not jumping straight to the "file a lawsuit and sue somebody for this distress" jerkwad move.

rawlingsHOH
9/25/2010, 12:27 PM

And I fail to see how a statistically significant portion of the students and alumni of a school petitioning to move a game off a religious holiday is a bad thing. I guarantee you if OU had to play a game on Christmas day every Christian church in the state would throw a fit. At least these students are being polite, going through channels, and filing a petition. They're not jumping straight to the "file a lawsuit and sue somebody for this distress" jerkwad move.

Blue-Gray game used to be played on Christmas, but I think they cancelled it about 5 years ago.

And, of course, the NFL will play games on Christmas, when the calender calls for it.

And the NBA, etc.

But why stop at OU/Texas?

TXBOOMER
9/25/2010, 02:35 PM
Religion has actually convinced people that there`s an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do..And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever `til the end of time! ...But He loves you......George Carlin

StoopTroup
9/25/2010, 04:11 PM
I bet UCLA is taking advantage of the Yom Kipper deal. :D

TUSooner
9/25/2010, 09:07 PM
Well said. Christians, too, need to realize that it's not exactly sacrifice if you just whine at the gubment to make everybody do what's convenient for your religion.

PLaw
9/25/2010, 09:31 PM
Hmmm, biggest day of the year in Texass football is the RRS??

To me, it's like 1b, right behind the Big XII championship or BSC Title game.

But, that's just my pov when you have 6 Big XII's titles and have played in 4 BCS titles games.

Just sayin'

BOOMER

Statalyzer
9/25/2010, 11:43 PM
Wow, Lid. You almost make me actually *GULP* like a texass fan.

For saying something that 99% of Texas fans agree with also...

Soonersince57
9/26/2010, 06:43 PM

I went to the 1976 Fiesta Bowl on Christmas Day when we beat Wyoming. Didn't see many Christians complaining. I sure wasn't.

SeattleOUstudent
9/26/2010, 09:18 PM
Was it these students?
http://i53.tinypic.com/raxpxv.jpg

Or maybe these?
http://i53.tinypic.com/5y56r4.jpg

Nah. I bet you are talking about these UT students
http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/08/16/00/slideshow_1001689285_rbz_UT_UCLA_35.jpg

turner78
9/26/2010, 09:24 PM
What a crock of crap!

tanjou
9/26/2010, 09:38 PM
lame...

Please return and expand on this interesting line of reasoning.

47straight
9/26/2010, 11:22 PM

sooneron
9/28/2010, 08:02 PM
Heh, I got negged for my reply to that "remark" by someone else, lol. My wife is jewish and kids might one day be, as well. I would prefer that my children not come across bigoted speech one day. I know they will (which is sad), because just telling them that there are retarded, ignorant bigoted idiots out there doesn't cut it

mfosterftw
9/28/2010, 10:09 PM
http://jta.org/news/article/2010/09/26/2741038/students-want-new-date-for-yom-kippur-game

The game has been played on Yom Kippur five times in the past, the first time in 1940 and most recently in 1997, the Statesman reported. The 2014 game also is scheduled for Yom Kippur.

Your ancestors dealt with it, so you can too.

sooneron
9/29/2010, 02:02 PM
Catfish, instead of calling me jack *** in neg, please expand on your line of thinking.

If you say, "I wasn't trying to be a bigot" Which is laughable, at best. Because I have never heard of someone "trying" to be a bigot. What was the jist of what you were saying?

Here is how is comes off.

"Yeah, figures texas has that many jews, since there are so many *******s/dooshes/pricks/whiners/****faces" or whatever you are calling them.
Since, you know, jews are all of those..." :rolleyes:

bigot.

sooner_born_1960
9/29/2010, 02:14 PM
We'll play the game when ABC tells us to.

CatfishSooner
9/29/2010, 02:15 PM
Catfish, instead of calling me jack *** in neg, please expand on your line of thinking.

If you say, "I wasn't trying to be a bigot" Which is laughable, at best. Because I have never heard of someone "trying" to be a bigot. What was the jist of what you were saying?

Here is how is comes off.

"Yeah, figures texas has that many jews, since there are so many *******s/dooshes/pricks/whiners/****faces" or whatever you are calling them.
Since, you know, jews are all of those..." :rolleyes:

bigot.

I'm sincerely surprised that Texas had that many Jews...that's all...quit reading into it so much jack ***...:rolleyes:

SoonerWarMachine#1
9/29/2010, 02:34 PM
Funny! Don't think I 've ever seen a little burnt orange yamika before?

sooner59
9/29/2010, 04:04 PM
Don't you people remember Heisman-winning Texas QB Nate Dreidel?

He wore this instead of a helmet on Yom Kippur:

http://www.jjudaica.com/images/kippot/football_kippah_10083ajl.jpg

sooneron
9/29/2010, 08:47 PM
I'm sincerely surprised that Texas had that many Jews...that's all...quit reading into it so much jack ***...:rolleyes:

Weird, I wasn't the only one that thought what you said was out of line, ****face.