PDA

View Full Version : Cultural observation

Okla-homey
9/23/2010, 07:15 AM
I have concluded, based on personal observation and a smattering of what might come close to legitimate analysis, that people under 30 and people over 30 differ in the following respect:

Generally, people under 30 prefer to text than speak on their mobile phones. In fact, people under 30 often feel offended when someone calls them because said call implies the caller is demanding they stop what they're doing and take the call. Which they feel is selfish and offensive.

People over 30, OTOH, find it offensive that under-30's they call, too often refuse to answer the call, because the over-30's know full well the younger person has their mobile phone close at hand and could take the call if he or she wanted to do so.

discuss.
:pop:

sooner_born_1960
9/23/2010, 08:00 AM
Your daughter isn't taking your call, huh?

TUSooner
9/23/2010, 08:32 AM
I see the under-30s' point (as you make it). Unless I have too much to say with my hammy, texting-impaired digits, or unless I need to talk ASAP, I generally prefer to text and to get texted. That said, I ALWAYS answer my phone and return calls, and I despise people who don't; I was just brung up that way.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2010, 08:48 AM
I prefer texting myself...And I will say I don't answer every call I get but I do return them all..ie If I'm eating dinner with my family and somebody calls, I never answer..

olevetonahill
9/23/2010, 09:01 AM
Screw textin, My fingers are to dayum fat.
I dont answer every call either. If i dont recognise the Number and they aint left a messsage, then it must not be to important to talk to me, So I never return those calls .
Hell Its MY DAYUM phone . Ill answer it when and IF i wanta

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2010, 09:04 AM
Remember when cell phones didn't exist and people had to be at home to talk to em? Now we want them to answer all the time, no matter what...

People call..I look at the number and decide whether I wanna talk or not...

sooner59
9/23/2010, 09:04 AM
I prefer texting for a different reason. I have read some scientific studies about the amount of radiation dissipated across and into the head during cellular phone calls. Basically they say if you have quick conversations, then it doesn't really matter how many per day you have, but lengthy phone calls pose a much greater threat for long term damage.

The problem is, there is no conclusive scientific evidence for long term effects yet, because there have not been any long term trials. Obviously this is because cell phones have not been widespread in their use until more recently.

However, they are about 5 years into a 30 year study in Europe to test long term effects of cell phone usage. Now this may not be a concern to someone who began using cell phones as a primary means of communication into their 40s or 50s. But to people who began using cell phones heavily before 18, like what is common now, there could be some bad stuff coming down the line.

I personally don't want to find out I have a tumor in my head when I am 43 because I used a cell phone and we didn't know crap about them. I still talk on it, but many people (my parents) will keep me on the phone for half an hour. I just don't like it. I don't mind quick conversations, but if you want to talk to me while I am at my place, I have a land-line for that.

olevetonahill
9/23/2010, 09:13 AM
Hell 59 I must be bat**** crazy after all the long drunky dials ive done :D

Mississippi Sooner
9/23/2010, 09:15 AM
I think the texting thing is great for when you just have a simple question to ask or statement to make. You get the message through without being obligated to the whole phone call ritual. Those who sit and text obsessively, though, crack me up. If you have that much to say, you could probably get it done a whole lot quicker and with less wear and tear on the fingers if you just made a call.

I have noticed, however, that texting allows a few unnamed people in my office to get around our supposed ban on cell phone calls at work. I can't believe the president of the company is so naive about this.

49r
9/23/2010, 09:19 AM
I prefer texting myself...

So THAT'S what they're calling it these days!

royalfan5
9/23/2010, 09:22 AM
I find texting to be useful in coordination of plans with friends and family. I.e. leaving now, at such and such location etc.

pilobolus
9/23/2010, 09:23 AM
Actually, that would be a behavioral observation, not cultural.

KABOOKIE
9/23/2010, 09:29 AM
>30 here. Text, text, text. It has 2 distinct advantages.

1) You have a saved written record that can be used at a later time to remember the conversation (which is useful in settling communication debates with the Mrs.)

2) You don't have to ask out loud in the supermarket what brand of tampons your wife wants you to get.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2010, 09:31 AM
So THAT'S what they're calling it these days!

somebody has to do it when collier or btk is not around

sooner_born_1960
9/23/2010, 09:36 AM
>30, 40, 50 here... I answer phone calls if I hear the ring. That is not always a given. Texts better be pretty damn important, or I ignore them.

TUSooner
9/23/2010, 10:58 AM
>30 here. Text, text, text. It has 2 distinct advantages.

1) You have a saved written record that can be used at a later time to remember the conversation (which is useful in settling communication debates with the Mrs.)

2) You don't have to ask out loud in the supermarket what brand of tampons your wife wants you to get.

:D

Mississippi Sooner
9/23/2010, 11:12 AM
You have a saved written record that can be used at a later time to remember the conversation (which is useful in settling communication debates with the Mrs.)

That's true, but how many marriages have ended because someone forgot to delete incriminating messages? :D

Tiger Woods says hello.

OhU1
9/23/2010, 11:36 AM
Communication becomes more impersonal, simple, and superficial every day. Phone calls and e-mails are a poor substitute for face to face interaction but at least your thoughts can be expressed with more substance than the quick "sound bite" permitted by a text or tweet.

Other than communicating something simple like "I'll meet you at 6" I can't fathom what possesses people to clack their thumbs on these tiny devices oblivious to the world (and real people) around them.

Yeah, I'm over >30. Bah humbug. :eddie:

soonerboomer93
9/23/2010, 12:18 PM
I'm >30 and prefer texting generally.

I haven't liked talking on the phone since I worked for Dish. 40 hours a week on the phone != fun.

I'll respond to your text when I get to it. I generally take any call that comes in (but never answer the phone in the bathroom).

However, if I miss your call and you don't leave a message, I may or may not call back. Generally it's leans towards "not". I have 2 co-workers that don't leave messages, they know I won't call back.

Chuck Bao
9/23/2010, 01:21 PM
>30 here and I don't even know how to text message. I've repeatedly tried to get my phone service provider to delete that function from my phone. They always say they will and they don't. It could be because they like to sell my phone number to advertisers. Advertisements, especially in Thai script, just **** me off.

Citibank is the worst offender. I have called them several times to tell them to please stop sending me their daily text messages about their latest consumer loan programs. They don't seem to really care.

At least, my newest phone doesn't ring every time I get a new spam text message. And, I am really thankful for that. I can spend a few minutes each week deleting all of the spam, just like my email account.

yermom
9/23/2010, 01:28 PM
you can have multiple conversations going on with texts, for one thing. you can also delay responding for whatever reason.

i miss a lot of calls because i'm driving, or whatever, but generally answer the phone. but texts work WAY better than voicemails because i can just read it in a couple seconds instead of wasting a few minutes trying to get into my voicemail box and sifting through multiple messages

and i'm over 30 ;)

i'd probably move that age a little higher, like 40 something

My Opinion Matters
9/23/2010, 01:31 PM
I prefer texting for a different reason. I have read some scientific studies about the amount of radiation dissipated across and into the head during cellular phone calls. Basically they say if you have quick conversations, then it doesn't really matter how many per day you have, but lengthy phone calls pose a much greater threat for long term damage.

The problem is, there is no conclusive scientific evidence for long term effects yet, because there have not been any long term trials. Obviously this is because cell phones have not been widespread in their use until more recently.

However, they are about 5 years into a 30 year study in Europe to test long term effects of cell phone usage. Now this may not be a concern to someone who began using cell phones as a primary means of communication into their 40s or 50s. But to people who began using cell phones heavily before 18, like what is common now, there could be some bad stuff coming down the line.

I personally don't want to find out I have a tumor in my head when I am 43 because I used a cell phone and we didn't know crap about them. I still talk on it, but many people (my parents) will keep me on the phone for half an hour. I just don't like it. I don't mind quick conversations, but if you want to talk to me while I am at my place, I have a land-line for that.

As someone who has a spent a considerable amount of his professional and academic life studying the electromagnetic spectrum I can tell you in no uncertain terms that it's more likely you'll get struck by lightning while getting a lapdance from Vet than it is that you'll get a brain tumor from cell phone usage.

C&CDean
9/23/2010, 01:34 PM
Never sent or received a text message in my life. My phone is a work phone, and it gets emails, but does not send/receive text messages.

My biggest beef with texting is that a lot of folks are flat-out junkies. They have to text. Non-stop. Every waking second. WTF is wrong with these people? My two nephews were texting each other while they were both sitting in the back seat of momma's car. How ****ed up is that?

49r
9/23/2010, 05:38 PM
As someone who has a spent a considerable amount of his professional and academic life studying the electromagnetic spectrum I can tell you in no uncertain terms that it's more likely you'll get struck by lightning while getting a lapdance from Vet than it is that you'll get a brain tumor from cell phone usage.

Don't we get something like hundreds or thousands of times the electromagnetic radiation exposure just from the Sun than we do from all the terrestrial sources? I think I heard that somewhere one time. :)

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2010, 06:44 PM
I'm under 30 and prefer to text. I've always hated talking on the phone. I avoid making or answering phone calls like the plague. I don't even check my voicemail half the time and just delete it.

My Opinion Matters
9/23/2010, 06:50 PM
Don't we get something like hundreds or thousands of times the electromagnetic radiation exposure just from the Sun than we do from all the terrestrial sources? I think I heard that somewhere one time. :)

Yes. The term radiation seems to have a negative connotation in our culture, but it's also pretty essential if you consider things like light and heat necessary.

AlbqSooner
9/23/2010, 07:57 PM
Now this may not be a concern to someone who began using cell phones as a primary means of communication into their 40s or 50s.

WTF??? Just cuz I am an old fart it is okay for me to get a brain tumor? I mean I know my life expectancy is currently less than yours, but geez.;)

OUinFLA
9/23/2010, 09:37 PM
I hate cell phones just on general principal.

On the other hand, I have no idea how I could get along without mine.

This makes me feel Bi-polar.

I hate them most when my employees (who generaly perform their jobs alone) seem to be on theirs all the time. Hard to tell if it's their Ipod or their cell ear bud in their ear. At least if they are texting, I know they are screwing off. However, once I asked one of them if they were texting and she replied, no, Im using my calculator to determine the dosage for this vat. Man, was I embarassed.

sooner59
9/23/2010, 11:01 PM
WTF??? Just cuz I am an old fart it is okay for me to get a brain tumor? I mean I know my life expectancy is currently less than yours, but geez.;)

Heh. I was basing that off of their 25-30 year long term studies. You might not even start being affected until you are in your 80's. From the way I treat my body, I won't even last that long, so you may live longer than me either way. :D

sooner59
9/23/2010, 11:03 PM

You mean to tell me at the ho-down last month I had just over a 1/6250 chance of getting a brain tumor?!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/medical.htm

delhalew
9/23/2010, 11:43 PM

Kids have thinner less developed skulls which is also a consideration.

goingoneight
9/23/2010, 11:44 PM
I used to hate texting, then I got stuck on the phone with one too many people who mistakenly assumed I gave a **** about everything they're up to at that very moment. So my phone is literally just a little email machine, now. I'll answer when I feel like it.

Oh, and for the texters like myself... please make sure it makes sense before you send it. Texting has made morons into drooling, mouth-breathing morons it seems.

sooner59
9/23/2010, 11:47 PM
On second thought....I'll just sip some OVJ and say **** it.

Soonerwake
9/24/2010, 10:12 AM
I have noticed the use of "u" instead of "you", terms like LMAO, etc. have really proliferated society at all levels, including work. I suppose it's related to texting, but I don't know.

I will text if it is a short message or response. I refuse to converse back and forth for an extended period thru texting. I know my younger sister and brother text like it's the end of the world, but I just can't really get into it.

SoonerAtKU
9/24/2010, 10:31 AM
I'm over 30 and I don't personally care whether someone calls or texts me. I've always taken the stance that my cell phone is for MY convenience, not yours. As such, if I'm busy or don't feel like having a conversation, then that stuff can wait until I'm home or have a free minute. This didn't change when I hit 30, it's been that way since I got a cell phone.

sooner_born_1960
9/24/2010, 10:36 AM
That's basically my position on calls from work. They don't pay for my phone, so I can answer or not.