PDA

View Full Version : Venables "We're not even grading this tape"

adoniijahsooner
9/22/2010, 04:52 PM
What do you guys think? Everyone gets a free pass for the mistakes and bust against Air Force? Is that a good idea? Football guys let me know what's good.:pop:

"We're not even grading this tape," Venables said. "It doesn't do us any good, so we're going right on down the road."

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/ou-air-force-film-study-jury-still-out-on-sooner-defense/article/3496664?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz10IVnuqI V

Peach Fuzz
9/22/2010, 04:55 PM
Well yes and no. Yes because they do need to move on and key in on things that are a serious problem that they will likely see more. No because there was a lot of sh*t that needed to be delt with. I do agree with him tho.

Mississippi Sooner
9/22/2010, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I think he's mainly saying that since the Sooners won't be seeing that kind of offense again this season, there isn't really anything to be learned from it.

badger
9/22/2010, 04:59 PM
I think everyone knows they sucked since they allowed so many yards and too many points. Thus, everyone gets an F, everyone does the wind sprints, the belly flops to the ground and the fingertip pushups, or whatever the penalty for a failing grade is, and moves on to beat the Bearcats.

Right? :)

KantoSooner
9/22/2010, 05:04 PM
I may be a Venables apologist, but I think all he was saying is that the busts in the AFA game were unlikely to be repeated precisely in games against other teams and thus it didn't pay to specifically target them over more general drilling and prep.
Nothing really controversial there.

Soonerntxs
9/22/2010, 05:30 PM
Dear Sooner Fans,

I have no idea what I was thinking the other day when we played AF, I was fn HOT, and busy trying to remember the last word to the NA and trying to make AF feel warm and fuzzy for the sake of BOB. The water guy busted my Hangmedowns over a 50 cent tip on a $3.50 bottle of H20 and then that whole fly over thing with all the noise and firecrackers! Hell, I broke a headset, pulled a groin muscle and forgot to play OUr feature Star R. Lewis.
All I can say is, I'm sorry and this will never happen again; I mean the part about tipping the water guy!:eek:

Coach V
Future Head Coach
PeeWee Hights, FL.

BoulderSooner79
9/22/2010, 05:35 PM
I'm sure BV did study the tape and something will come out of it even if it is not the customary grades. It also be he simply didn't want to talk about it.

Leroy Lizard
9/22/2010, 05:39 PM
What do you guys think? Everyone gets a free pass for the mistakes and bust against Air Force? Is that a good idea? Football guys let me know what's good.:pop:

I will concede to BV's knowledge in these matters.

I'm an expert on everything else though. So nothing has changed.

Crucifax Autumn
9/22/2010, 05:43 PM
What's the big deal if he doesn't grade them? Shouldn't really make 1 bit of difference in how they play Saturday.

badger
9/22/2010, 05:46 PM
Dear Sooner Fans,

I have no idea what I was thinking the other day when we played AF, I was fn HOT, and busy trying to remember the last word to the NA and trying to make AF feel warm and fuzzy for the sake of BOB. The water guy busted my Hangmedowns over a 50 cent tip on a $3.50 bottle of H20 and then that whole fly over thing with all the noise and firecrackers! Hell, I broke a headset, pulled a groin muscle and forgot to play OUr feature Star R. Lewis.
All I can say is, I'm sorry and this will never happen again; I mean the part about tipping the water guy!:eek:

Coach V
Future Head Coach
PeeWee Hights, FL.

Dear Sooner Fans,

Just to be clear. After a year of mostly positive experience, in which I had decided to become an Elite Sponsor, I started the Hollis Board, I had a 46,000 spek rating based on real spek not betting over two season and 1500 posts, in the last four weeks I can see this board is a place I don't want to be or patronize. There are two other boards which I believe have at least equivalent basketball knowledge without the abusive environment. I am taking my business elsewhere.

John W. Helander
President & CEO
GrayBox Services Ltd. &
eState Auction House Ltd.

RedstickSooner
9/22/2010, 05:55 PM
Playing a division 1-AA team would be more useful to improving our team and evaluating our progress than playing Air Force was.

That was a situation with no upside, plenty of downside, that we were lucky to escape without a bunch of injuries or a loss. (Every game has the injury risk -- not saying this was a higher injury risk than a normal game.)

I'd prefer we avoid any teams with gimmick offenses in the future.

okiedokie
9/22/2010, 06:15 PM
to me it doesn't really matter one way or the other...now for the team it might :)

oudavid1
9/22/2010, 06:20 PM
I will concede to BV's knowledge in these matters.

I'm an expert on everything else though. So nothing has changed.

same here, in my opinion i find the tape irrelevant to the schemes we will see down the ro-ad.

TahoeSOONER
9/22/2010, 06:50 PM
Playing a division 1-AA team would be more useful to improving our team and evaluating our progress than playing Air Force was.

That was a situation with no upside, plenty of downside, that we were lucky to escape without a bunch of injuries or a loss. (Every game has the injury risk -- not saying this was a higher injury risk than a normal game.)

The injury risk was HUGE in that game. Those AF kids we're flying in, no pun intended, about ankle high and they had bad intentions.

ashley
9/22/2010, 07:21 PM
The wishbone was a great offense when every team worked on it from the first day of practice. How about it if you only see it once a year.

Collier11
9/22/2010, 07:25 PM
Some of you are missing the point, they arent going to grade the tape and tell them how they graded out for the game, they are still going to work on getting better at the things we messed up on

rawlingsHOH
9/22/2010, 07:29 PM
A. I don't even think we used a scheme from the Stoops/Venables playbook for the game. I believe they simply took the TCU defense (who's had decent success against AFA) vanilla'd it out a ton, removing the exotics, and installed it in a single week. That was nickel personnel, but it wasn't the base nickel that OU runs a weekly basis. That was a 4-2-5 (4-4 run fits), with Carter and Jefferson playing whips/bandits/whatever you want to call them, designed to slow down an explosive running attack.

B. They aren't going to see the offense, or anything like it, on the schedule this year. So their valuable and limited (NCAA) practice/film/review hours are probably better spent somewhere else, like on Cincy or Texas.

The Ghost of Mex
9/22/2010, 07:38 PM
A. I don't even think we used a scheme from the Stoops/Venables playbook for the game. I believe they simply took the TCU defense (who's had decent success against AFA) vanilla'd it out a ton, removing the exotics, and installed it in a single week. That was nickel personnel, but it wasn't the base nickel that OU runs a weekly basis. That was a 4-2-5 (4-4 run fits), with Carter and Jefferson playing whips/bandits/whatever you want to call them, designed to slow down an explosive running attack.

B. They aren't going to see the offense, or anything like it, on the schedule this year. So their valuable and limited (NCAA) practice/film/review hours are probably better spent somewhere else, like on Cincy or Texas.

Thanks for actually having a B.

StoopTroup
9/22/2010, 07:50 PM
I heard Ronnell was gonna grade it.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2010, 09:01 AM
besides tackling issues, nothing to look at..

C&CDean
9/23/2010, 09:21 AM
The experience of playing in the game is far more beneficial than grading the tape. Everybody knows the AF fullback slashed the middle of our defense like Jack the Ripper tore up a dirty whore's entrails. Why relive it? Just remember/learn from what it felt like to have a 180 pound white dude pound you like he was your pimp.

OUMallen
9/23/2010, 09:23 AM

I don't think he meant everyone gets a free pass. I think he meant it was all so bad that he'll just handle it.

fwsooner22
9/23/2010, 09:25 AM
I think he meant we won't see that "O" again, so screw it. I agree with that. I already bought my tickets to TCU/Air Force in FW. I want to see how TCU deals with it.

Crucifax Autumn
9/23/2010, 10:46 AM
I'm hoping they DON'T deal with it at all.

Rocko
9/23/2010, 11:15 AM
The Defenses was like, "Aww no gold star stickers today coach?"

texaspokieokie
9/23/2010, 11:51 AM
i've seen the game on tv, after seeing it live saturdy.

i'll concede that i don't know much about football,but

arm tackles aren't good.

fullback up the middle as the base play,shouldn't be that hard to stop.

venables doesn't need to grade the tape.

i'd throw it away.

offense didn't look all that great, either.

never any long runs, just grind it out.

where are pruitt,sims & peterson.

maybe AFA is just severely underrated.

texas bandman
9/23/2010, 12:15 PM

The Wishbone isn't a gimmick offense. Barry told me so.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/23/2010, 12:18 PM
The experience of playing in the game is far more beneficial than grading the tape. Everybody knows the AF fullback slashed the middle of our defense like Jack the Ripper tore up a dirty whore's entrails. Why relive it? Just remember/learn from what it felt like to have a 180 pound white dude pound you like he was your pimp.

Are you talking about the game or you and JM afterwards?

OK2U
9/23/2010, 12:19 PM
BEAL: 'WE'RE AN AVERAGE DEFENSE'
Several coaches and players have commented that Air Force's unique option attack was a factor in the Sooners (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Oklahoma+Sooners&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION) allowing 351 rushing yards. But defensive end Jeremy Beal said the defense being ranked 89th in the country is unacceptable. "The facts speak for itself,” Beal said. "Right now, we're an average defense. There's nothing else to say about it. We gave up 300-some (rushing) yards. Yeah, they're a different offense, but that's still a lot of yards. That's not our standards. We just need to play more consistent.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/ou-football-notebook/article/3497593#ixzz10NFDnlaN

|

BoulderSooner79
9/23/2010, 01:25 PM
BEAL: 'WE'RE AN AVERAGE DEFENSE'
Several coaches and players have commented that Air Force's unique option attack was a factor in the Sooners allowing 351 rushing yards. But defensive end Jeremy Beal said the defense being ranked 89th in the country is unacceptable. "The facts speak for itself,” Beal said. "Right now, we're an average defense. There's nothing else to say about it. We gave up 300-some (rushing) yards. Yeah, they're a different offense, but that's still a lot of yards. That's not our standards. We just need to play more consistent.”

I agree and we should not accept anything lower than 85th. Out of pride, we shoot for 80th.

yermom
9/23/2010, 01:34 PM
if they tackled better, the yardage would have been a lot different.

is there an equivalent to the tennis ball machine for missed tackles? :D

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2010, 01:37 PM
For the love of God people, AF does not run the wishbone..

I heard those guys on the SA calling their offense the wishbone a few days ago...

OK2U
9/23/2010, 01:48 PM
is there an equivalent to the tennis ball machine for missed tackles? :D
Running stadium steps?

texaspokieokie
9/23/2010, 02:20 PM
triple option, but no wishbone.

blaming the "odd ball offense" for 350 yds is just a cop-out.

rawlingsHOH
9/23/2010, 02:31 PM
For the love of God people, AF does not run the wishbone..

I heard those guys on the SA calling their offense the wishbone a few days ago...

yep, we saw 60 formations and none of those were the wishbone. i think people just use triple option and bone synonymously.

rainiersooner
9/23/2010, 02:48 PM
The injury risk was HUGE in that game. Those AF kids we're flying in, no pun intended, about ankle high and they had bad intentions.

Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere...but why in the hell did we schedule these guys in the first place? To boost SOS? It's not like we have trouble putting butts in seats. This OOC game, along with BYU last year leave me curious as to the scheduling philosophy. I know Bob is starting to question it too.

rawlingsHOH
9/23/2010, 02:53 PM
Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere...but why in the hell did we schedule these guys in the first place? To boost SOS? It's not like we have trouble putting butts in seats. This OOC game, along with BYU last year leave me curious as to the scheduling philosophy. I know Bob is starting to question it too.

They owed us a home game, and OU has a tough time trying to get decent competition to come to Norman on a one time shot. I know they pushed the return game back a couple years, and at one point Air Force wanted out of the deal. This was maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

stoopified
9/23/2010, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I think he's mainly saying that since the Sooners won't be seeing that kind of offense again this season, there isn't really anything to be learned from it.Bingo

yermom
9/23/2010, 05:59 PM
They owed us a home game, and OU has a tough time trying to get decent competition to come to Norman on a one time shot. I know they pushed the return game back a couple years, and at one point Air Force wanted out of the deal. This was maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

we were supposed to play them in 2004, but something changed at the last minute. i remember seeing them printed on the schedule on bargain bin crap during the season at Walmart

i remember us having to steal BGSU from Auburn, and someone else dropped at the last second too, i think

StoopTroup
9/23/2010, 06:01 PM
If it was Scotch I'd grade it.

jumperstop
9/23/2010, 06:07 PM
If it was Scotch I'd grade it.

What about Duct or Masking?

StoopTroup
9/23/2010, 06:23 PM
What about Duct or Masking?

If it's frog tape....that **** sucks balls

Gorilla Tape rawks!