PDA

View Full Version : Nothing better than having these type of guys on the team...Good Job Q!

Collier11
9/22/2010, 03:43 PM
Before Bob Stoops took the podium for his weekly news conference Tuesday, about 15 little boys and girls did. They weren't there to hear Stoops talk about Landry Jones, Ronnell Lewis or Cincinnati. They were there to help present an award to Oklahoma safety Quinton Carter.

The man the 4-year-olds at Norman's KinderCare call "Mr. Q" was named to the 2010 Allstate American Football Coaches Association Good Works Team, one of 11 players nationwide to be so honored. Carter was recognized for his volunteer work with KinderCare, and for his contributions to children's/community causes in both Norman and his hometown of Las Vegas.

"Man, I'm kind of speechless," Carter said after the kids surprised him by appearing from behind a wall and hugging him. "No one told me I was gonna be up here today...

"For me to have an impact on these kids' lives, it makes me have a reason to wake up in the morning... If I can wake up every day and touch somebody and change their life, I can die a happy person."

Past Sooners named to the Good Works Team were Gerald McCoy (in 2008), Nic Harris ('07) and Jacob Gutierrez ('06).

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100922_92_B9_CUTLIN784804

Collier11
9/22/2010, 03:46 PM
From the DOK:

NORMAN — Winning Big 12 titles, playing in the national title game and never losing a home game will be lifelong memories for Oklahoma senior safety Quinton Carter.

OU defensive back Quinton Carter was named to the AFCA Good Works team on Tuesday. Carter was surprised with the award by a class of children Carter "adopted" from a local KinderCare day care.
Quinton Carter named to Good Works Team

Carter, though, experienced another lifelong memory Tuesday that had nothing to do with football.

One of 11 Football Bowl Subdivision players nationally to be selected to the 2010 Allstate AFCA Good Works team, Carter was surprised when a group of four-year-old kids from KinderCare appeared at the presentation minutes before OU coach Bob Stoops' weekly press conference.

“I will never forget this day,” Carter said. “I was just telling one of the parents my heart is still beating. My stomach dropped when those kids walked around the corner. I guess they've known about this for 10 days. I had no idea.”

Carter donated some free time last summer at the day care to help teach the children basic reading and writing skills. He also is involved in other community projects in Norman, Oklahoma City and Las Vegas, his hometown.

Carter has worked with Habitat for Humanity, a young single fathers program, organized a youth football clinic in Las Vegas and created his own non-profit organization named SOUL (Serving Others through Unity and Leadership).

“I feel God put me in this position to give back and help others and change others' lives,” Carter said. “That's the motivation... In high school my senior year I thought about what I wanted to do and this was my passion, to be around kids, talk to kids.”

OU's second leading tackler last season, Carter has a hectic schedule. He attends classes, practices and film sessions besides weight lifting and studying for tests. In season it's more difficult to be as active in the community but he still makes time to get involved.

His secret?

“I don't play video games,” Carter said. “That gives me hours of free time. Any free time I have I try to mentor the boys in Oklahoma City or go to KinderCare.”

One of 112 nominees, Carter is the fourth Sooner to be named to the Good Works Team, the most recent being Gerald McCoy in 2008.

“I'm shocked. I'm honored,” Carter said. “I don't do this for recognition. I'm just trying to help out. To be rewarded for that just makes it that much better.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/ous-quinton-carter-named-to-good-world-team-surprised-by-4-year-old-friends/article/3497083#ixzz10IFPBwFh

oumartin
9/22/2010, 03:53 PM
That is so cool! Good for him

Collier11
9/22/2010, 03:53 PM
Thats the most normal post youve ever had Martin :D

StoopTroup
9/22/2010, 04:00 PM
Folks who inspire kids are some of the best people walking the face of our planet IMO.

KantoSooner
9/22/2010, 04:26 PM
I wonder if he influences the little boys to all wear dreads and sunglasses. That would be so cool: QC with his posse of little followers.
Then he could have his own gentlemen's finishing school, The Quinton Carter School of Badness.
Travis Lewis could be a guest speaker.

Crucifax Autumn
9/22/2010, 05:28 PM
I'm always glad we have this kind of guy. Good job!

oudavid1
9/22/2010, 06:25 PM
Great job young man! So proud of you.

MyT Oklahoma
9/22/2010, 07:21 PM
Congratulations Quinton. We are proud of you and glad that your a Sooner.

StoopTroup
9/22/2010, 07:43 PM
Bomar inspired me to never work at a Car Dealership.

OUthunder
9/22/2010, 07:45 PM
Before Bob Stoops took the podium for his weekly news conference Tuesday, about 15 little boys and girls did. They weren't there to hear Stoops talk about Landry Jones, Ronnell Lewis or Cincinnati. They were there to help present an award to Oklahoma safety Quinton Carter.

The man the 4-year-olds at Norman's KinderCare call "Mr. Q" was named to the 2010 Allstate American Football Coaches Association Good Works Team, one of 11 players nationwide to be so honored. Carter was recognized for his volunteer work with KinderCare, and for his contributions to children's/community causes in both Norman and his hometown of Las Vegas.

"Man, I'm kind of speechless," Carter said after the kids surprised him by appearing from behind a wall and hugging him. "No one told me I was gonna be up here today...

"For me to have an impact on these kids' lives, it makes me have a reason to wake up in the morning... If I can wake up every day and touch somebody and change their life, I can die a happy person."

Past Sooners named to the Good Works Team were Gerald McCoy (in 2008), Nic Harris ('07) and Jacob Gutierrez ('06).

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100922_92_B9_CUTLIN784804

Given the past winners, I'd say that he's in pretty damn good company.