Damn you Katrina!

SoonerProphet
9/22/2010, 03:35 PM
cryin' won't help ya

GKeeper316
9/22/2010, 03:38 PM
my fav zepp song, written by robert johnson way back when music was still real

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbrjRKB586s

john bonham = greatest rock drummer that ever lived.

BillyBall
9/22/2010, 03:40 PM
cryin' won't help ya

Prayin' won't do you no good.

StoopTroup
9/22/2010, 03:49 PM
Hotdog

StoopTroup
9/22/2010, 07:31 PM
I hope this thread don't make ya feel bad.

Leroy Lizard
9/23/2010, 12:32 AM
(harmonica)

pilobolus
9/23/2010, 09:22 AM
john bonham = greatest rock drummer that ever lived.

Wrong answer. The correct response would be Neil Peart.

TUSooner
9/23/2010, 02:05 PM
The levee is going to break.

Been there. Done that. No fun. :(

Oldnslo
9/23/2010, 02:11 PM
Hotdog

D'yer Maker?

GKeeper316
9/23/2010, 02:31 PM
Wrong answer. The correct response would be Neil Peart.

peart plays with as much emotion as a toaster... john bonham > neil peart.

saucysoonergal
9/23/2010, 03:27 PM
But Peart has the most bitchin' drum kit. He had to be lowered into it!

;)

pilobolus
9/23/2010, 04:25 PM
peart plays with as much emotion as a toaster... john bonham > neil peart.

It would be easier for you to just watch this documentary to appreciate how wrong you are, than for me to try to explain it to you.

http://thesilvertongueonline.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/RUSH_poster.jpg

Mississippi Sooner
9/23/2010, 04:37 PM
Squeeze my lemon.

GKeeper316
9/23/2010, 04:43 PM
It would be easier for you to just watch this documentary to appreciate how wrong you are, than for me to try to explain it to you.

are you a drummer?

pilobolus
9/23/2010, 04:47 PM
are you a drummer?

Yes, since this is the internets, I am a world-class percussionist.

Heart or soul is too subjective to quantify. They are both good drummers.

Here is some more viewing for you.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/files/1294/lg_neil%20peart%20drum%20solo.jpg

GKeeper316
9/23/2010, 04:51 PM
peart's a great technician. bonham was a better drummer.

pilobolus
9/23/2010, 04:54 PM
http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/composition/1962780/view/1/producttypecolor/2/type/png/width/280/height/280/yeah-well-you-know-that-s-just-like-your-opinion-man-black-t-shirt_design.png

Crucifax Autumn
9/23/2010, 05:23 PM
Bonham has to lose this contest not because he wasn't great (he was and had a unique sound) but due to total body of work since we never got to find out just how good he'd be in the long-term 40 year career way. Peart has done so much music, he writes more, and has a lot more musical theory behind his playing. Bonham did that weird reggae half-beat thing though and it makes his playing difficult for more traditional drummers. Also, emotion in drumming is overrated. Other instruments much better lend themselves to emotional playing IMO. Personally I think Terry Bozzio and Mark Zonder blow them both away when it comes to their playing being "interesting" and someone like Portnoy does a much finer job of being technical while still managing to be a basher. I have to go with Peart for being a great mix of all these qualities, but my actual favorite is Zonder. His weird off-beats really stand out and he DOES manage some of the elusive emotion. Unfortunately it takes quite an ear to appreciate him and that's just among the small minority that has even heard him play in Warlord, Fates Warning, and his numerous side projects.

The other thing that just isn't getting mentioned here is exactly how much these guys influence the overall sound of a band. When Zonder joined Fates Warning their ENTIRE sound changed in such a way to be both more technical and more emotional at the same time.

And now, bring on the crazies pointing out obscure drummers' youtube vids of completely crazy *** speed and technique who just play like madmen. It happens every time this comes up.

Sooner04
9/23/2010, 10:57 PM
Sometimes when you're not sure it's Zeppelin you hear the drums and you KNOW it's Zeppelin. Bonzo was a monster....plain and simple.

I haven't heard much of Peart, mainly because I loathe everything in Rush's catalog but "Subdivisions". I'm sure he's wonderful, but I can't get past Geddy Lee. Oh well, I'm sure Peart will get over it. :)

Oh yeah: "all last night...sat on the levee and moaned."

soonerboy_odanorth
9/23/2010, 11:04 PM
Shoot, when I saw the title of the thread I thought you guys were monitoring the weather situation here in Minnesota.... I live in Scott County, btw; should be an interesting commute across the river on Monday...

Rain inundates southern Minnesota; Pawlenty declares state of emergency

Residents across southern Minnesota were up to their necks in mess and misery after rains of 10 inches and more. "We'll call it Lake Wewillbegone," said Owatonna's Jerry Gagne, looking at Maple Creek after it flooded his house.

OWATONNA, MINN. - Jerry Gagne tried to sleep through the intense downpour Wednesday night in Owatonna. But the rain wouldn't have it.

"Twelve forty-five this morning, my foot fell off the bed and hit the water, and we've been dealing with it ever since," said Gagne, who lost all his personal belongings when Maple Creek, the usually placid, 8-foot-wide stream across the street, barged into his house.

Gagne was one of hundreds of Minnesotans besieged by water after a freakish early autumn rain knocked residents out of homes, closed schools and businesses, flooded countless rural roads and overwhelmed municipal sewer systems from Truman in southwestern Minnesota to Zumbro Falls, 150 miles to the northeast.

Some state highways, including Hwy. 52 near Zumbrota, were closed throughout the day. Rep. Marty Seifert, R-Marshall, alerted his constituents on Twitter during the day to avoid gravel roads west of the city because Lyon County officials were running out of "Road Closed" signs.

But no injuries were reported.

Residents remained on alert for rising waters Thursday night. Relatively insignificant rain is expected to linger Friday.

Weather officials noted that the metro area will share in the impact next week, when stormwater flowing down the Minnesota River should reach the Twin Cities.

Steve Buan, service coordination hydrologist with NOAA's North Central River Forecast Center, based in Chanhassen, said it appears "very likely" that river crossings along the Minnesota from Jordan to Savage could be closed. Scott County emergency manager Chris Weldon said approaches to some bridges could be closed as soon as Saturday.

River monitors on Thursday were projecting that the Minnesota would rise 15 feet by Tuesday, to a point close to its fifth-highest level on record.

"The south metro is going to be a problem," Buan said. "This is extraordinarily unusual for this time of year."

Staff writer Paul Walsh and the Associated Press contributed to this report. [email protected] • 612-673-7329 [email protected] • 612-673-7646

Oldnslo
9/24/2010, 01:25 PM
No, I pretty much was thinking about the Zeppelin song.