PDA

View Full Version : Found a baby scorpion in my home

Ardmore_Sooner
9/22/2010, 11:07 AM
Anybody ever dealt with a scorpion problem before? I live on the north side of Moore so I assume that it's not a lethal species or anything, my only concerns are there may be more and I have to leave my 1 year old dachshund home alone during the day.

Anyone else had this problem? Do they sell sprays specifically for scorpions around these parts or should I take another route?

sooner_born_1960
9/22/2010, 11:10 AM
General bug spray works.

pilobolus
9/22/2010, 11:20 AM
http://classic-horror.com/files/images/black_scorpion_poster.preview.jpg

Mississippi Sooner
9/22/2010, 11:21 AM
Back when we lived in the Arbuckles, scorpions were just a regular part of life. It wasn't at all unusual to find one in the bathroom floor in the morning, and that'll wake ya up, for sure!

Usually, when they come into the house, they are seeking water. Thus, their attraction to bathroom and kitchen areas. Plus, if you get to seeing them fairly regularly, it's a good idea to check inside your shoes before you put them on, especially if it's a pair you haven't worn in a while. They love dark, secluded areas, but don't necessarily seek them out in homes the way fiddleback spiders do.

Sprays do work to an extent, but like all arachnids, scorpions walk with their bodies elevated above the ground so powder insecticides may be more effective. With that said, an actual scorpion infestation inside a home is extremely rare. They are outdoor critters by nature.

olevetonahill
9/22/2010, 11:22 AM
The ones we have in Ok are just babies anyway . Their sting is not as bad as a wasp sting( Been there done that), Just about any type insecticide will get em gone.

I live in the hills down here and used to have em bad. I cured that by stopping and picking up every Tarantula i could find. The Tarantulas wont hurt ya But ive heard they hunt and kill the scorpions.
Must be cause I havnt had any around here in a long time, If yer lil mutt does get stung , he will know to leave em alone then .:D

OhU1
9/22/2010, 11:30 AM
I found a scorpion in my house back in April but have not seen another anywhere since.

On the other hand I've had black widows in my garage that caused me more concern.

I like vet's idea about picking up tarantuas but that might be a hard sell to most people. :)

Ardmore_Sooner
9/22/2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys. Just wanna make sure my dog is ok more than anything. I'll probably not worry about it unless I find another one. If I do, I'm lettin about 50 turantulas in the house!

olevetonahill
9/22/2010, 11:38 AM
Heh, Some kids a few years back came by my shop one nite, They had caught a tarantula and had it in the back of their truck . I axed em what they gonna do with it , They said Mess with it then kill it . I told em Id whoop that ***.
I reached in got it and put it on my shoulder, It stayed there while i finished working then drove home and took it off and put on the side of a tree. ;)
They aint gonna hurt ya, and they really aint skeered of ya.

olevetonahill
9/22/2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys. Just wanna make sure my dog is ok more than anything. I'll probably not worry about it unless I find another one. If I do, I'm lettin about 50 turantulas in the house!

Dog will be fine. Like i said even if one does sting him it wont really hurt him .

pilobolus
9/22/2010, 11:43 AM
One thing about scorpions, they love to eat ants so be sure to take care of any ant problem you have and that should help with the scorpions also.

C&CDean
9/22/2010, 11:44 AM
What Howie said.

I've had them in the kitchen, bathroom, in my boots in the garage, in the firewood, and pretty much everywhere else. Their sting burns, but it ain't no worse than a wasp. Dogs barely get swollen up when they get stung. God gave them immunities to that kind of thing.

I've had rat terriers bit by copperheads multiple times. Their face (usually where they get bit) swells up pretty good, and they just wanna lay around for a couple days and they don't eat much, but that's about it. If you give them a benadryl it makes the swelling go down sooner.

olevetonahill
9/22/2010, 11:47 AM
Yup, Ole Knothead got bit by a copperhead a few years ago , Looke like he had gout for about a week .
Dint think of Benydril :O

Leroy Lizard
9/22/2010, 11:52 AM
Mmmmmm... scorpions.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rmRjv5OcgPY/SLpZlXjMTeI/AAAAAAAAAcM/BhnvEgH_dvY/s400/bear_grylls_220.jpg

olevetonahill
9/22/2010, 12:03 PM
I were thinkin Lizards ate em also :eek:

StoopTroup
9/22/2010, 12:07 PM
Their only deadly if they sting your penis so make sure you wear kevlar under amour.

achiro
9/22/2010, 12:13 PM
Heh, Some kids a few years back came by my shop one nite, They had caught a tarantula and had it in the back of their truck . I axed em what they gonna do with it , They said Mess with it then kill it . I told em Id whoop that ***.
I reached in got it and put it on my shoulder, It stayed there while i finished working then drove home and took it off and put on the side of a tree. ;)
They aint gonna hurt ya, and they really aint skeered of ya.

No thank you! :eek:

sooner_born_1960
9/22/2010, 12:19 PM
TTIWWOP, right PG?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2010, 12:22 PM
you people can keep your spiders, clowns, and midgets, thank you very much

pilobolus
9/22/2010, 12:29 PM
Mmmmmm... scorpions.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rmRjv5OcgPY/SLpZlXjMTeI/AAAAAAAAAcM/BhnvEgH_dvY/s400/bear_grylls_220.jpg

http://www.hotsauceemporium.co.uk/img/product_images/Scorpion-Lollipop-(Banana).jpg

StoopTroup
9/22/2010, 12:42 PM
Yummy.....lol

TFSooner
9/22/2010, 01:25 PM
I have been stung so many times I've lost count. Like others have said, it burns but is not dangerous in any way. We have the inside and outside of our house sprayed quarterly, so that controls them but does not eliminate them. They also like to come out at night.

We have learned to use a piece of duct tape when we find them. Put it on top of them, fold it over, and squish them. It is easy and we don't get stung that way.

Okla-homey
9/22/2010, 01:31 PM
We don't have any bugs. We have two cats. I realize some would favor having bugs over two cats, but it saves on pest control bills.

Soonerntxs
9/22/2010, 02:13 PM
I grew up in Drumright, Ok. and I remember my grandpa telling us that they are paired and if you find one, the other is not far away. Since my grandpa was a OU Pharmacy Grad. and the local pharmacist, he had a fix for almost everything medical: I remember him treating many stings; IF there was a stinger, he would pull it out and coat the infected area with cornstarch and bakingsoda paste and give us GENERIC NAME: diphenhydramine
BRAND NAME: Benadryl
They are not dangerous unless you are under 3yrs or in ILL health or have an allergy. He used cedar oil to treat the house and sprayed all corners in the house and door & window seals. You can find it at you local pet supply or online, it is all natural and works on almost all spiders, scorpions and bugs that feed on other bugs. We have followed this and many of his ideas over the years and all have served us well. I pass this along in loving memory of The Burney Brasel, Rph. Medicine Cabinet. Good Luck

olevetonahill
9/22/2010, 02:21 PM
I think yer misremembering , Scorpions dont lose their stinger, them lil bastages can keep on a hittin ya.
Maybe a honey bee?

StoopTroup
9/22/2010, 02:36 PM
I spray for bugs and cats.

Mississippi Sooner
9/22/2010, 02:56 PM
I spray for bugs and cats.

If you've got a tomcat around, he'll do a good job of spraying your house.

sooner_born_1960
9/22/2010, 03:09 PM
-3? As negative 3?

Soonerntxs
9/22/2010, 03:15 PM
-3? As negative 3?

&
_

<

LESS THAN

TODDLER AGE

Minus 3

0-3 yrs.

Btr?:D

Soonerntxs
9/22/2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks I corrected the post. The treatment was the same for most insect bites. Other than Brown Recluse or Black Widows bites .

Leroy Lizard
9/22/2010, 03:24 PM
We don't have any bugs. We have two cats. I realize some would favor having bugs over two cats, but it saves on pest control bills.

Ugh. I'll take the bugs.

GKeeper316
9/22/2010, 03:36 PM
you people can keep your spiders, clowns, and midgets, thank you very much

what he said... and the midget clowns in spider costumes.... well thats just as evil as evil gets imo.

C&CDean
9/22/2010, 03:45 PM
Looks like we've got a couple Ron Weasleys on the board.

Crucifax Autumn
9/22/2010, 05:58 PM
Boric acid along all the walls and windows. You'll never see a bug again.

Harry Beanbag
9/22/2010, 07:23 PM
Get a chicken.

olevetonahill
9/22/2010, 07:25 PM
That will do it to .:D

StoopTroup
9/22/2010, 07:26 PM
Looks like we've got a couple Ron Weasleys on the board.

Did Ron ever tag that gals ***? I think I've got the last movie they made somewhere and if he did...what chapter is it in?

John Kochtoston
9/22/2010, 09:59 PM
This guy has a death lock for scorpions ... http://cdn3.ioffer.com/img/item/648/701/21/kV7wFarOFzq98O5.jpg

Of course, he has trouble with black ones. He'll take care of them eventually, but he'll bore you to death for 5-6 months first.

Collier11
9/22/2010, 11:10 PM

My cat eats most crickets and a few spiders that crawl thru the house, my dog got jealous and she now eats most bugs crawling across the floor

Collier11
9/22/2010, 11:12 PM
Ugh. I'll take the bugs.

Leroy doesnt like P***Y! Big Surprise there...

olevetonahill
9/22/2010, 11:24 PM
Hell Timmy T eats anything I throw in his tank;)

Breadburner
9/23/2010, 12:51 AM
Ginny's Mother ****ers Ginny's.......

olevetonahill
9/23/2010, 01:07 AM
My last ex had a bunch of guineas . After i got rid of her I got rid of those dayum birds. Hauled em off over by the State Park .
Besides being ugly as hell they make more noise than room full of A.D.D. kids with their Ritalin.

See , UGLY http://thedeyoungfamilyzoo.com/images/l_33de03f4285648298bfcecc0bb5eee9d_400.jpg

Collier11
9/23/2010, 01:08 AM
but they do kill insects and snakes

olevetonahill
9/23/2010, 01:20 AM
So do Game chickens , and they dont make near the dayum noise.

Mississippi Sooner
9/23/2010, 08:14 AM
I used to have a neighbor that had some free roaming guineas. One day, for no particular reason at all, my dog took off at a dead run at the flock of them. They were standing right beside a utility pole, and one of those stupid birds flew straight up into the air and hit a transformer. That bird exploded in a flash of blue light. I didn't think I'd ever stop laughing.

olevetonahill
9/23/2010, 08:31 AM
I used to have a neighbor that had some free roaming guineas. One day, for no particular reason at all, my dog took off at a dead run at the flock of them. They were standing right beside a utility pole, and one of those stupid birds flew straight up into the air and hit a transformer. That bird exploded in a flash of blue light. I didn't think I'd ever stop laughing.

:D

pilobolus
9/23/2010, 09:17 AM
Guineas make for a good home security system.

royalfan5
9/23/2010, 09:23 AM
Guineas make for a good home security system.

and they eat grasshoppers like it's going out of style. My Cousin in Texas sells 10K plus guineas and guinea eggs a year for bug control and noise.

pilobolus
9/23/2010, 09:28 AM
http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/animals/assets/scorpion_lady_2.jpg

C&CDean
9/23/2010, 09:31 AM
Guineas are the stupidest birds on the planet and make way too much noise. The only useful purpose of having guineas (other than tick control) is if you like to hunt coyotes. They are coyote bait supreme.

Chickens will do the exact same thing (bug control) plus you get good eggs and they're not near as noisy.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2010, 09:37 AM
I carry a pretty large snake with me everywhere I go, but it don't eat no bugs

Soonerntxs
9/23/2010, 09:42 AM
http://thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainn ameatlonglast.com/images/snake1.JPG

Ok, I give STEP what in the world does your snake eat?:D

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2010, 09:44 AM
must....resist.....

Soonerntxs
9/23/2010, 09:45 AM
GOT YA!:eek:

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2010, 09:52 AM
any snake would look small with those giant fingers