PDA

View Full Version : I Hate the SEC

CarolinaSoonerFan
9/21/2010, 08:25 PM
A South Carolina fan at work was trying to convince me that just because they play in the SEC that SC's non-conference schedule is tougher than OU's. Think think he's been smoking the SEC pipe for to long. What do you think?

SC's non-con schedule

Southern Miss < Cincy
Furman < Utah St.
Troy < Air Force
Clemson = Florida St.

Soonermagik
9/21/2010, 08:40 PM
The top of the SEC is really good. However, the middle and bottom is kinda blah. South Carolina is a weak team in the SEC.

I would much rather OU play South Carolina than Air Force.

CarolinaSoonerFan
9/21/2010, 08:44 PM
That would be crazy here these guys would be talking so much smack. Plus Stoops vs The Ball Coach would have Game Day for sure.

I do like the Frosh RB they have. He's a real workhorse.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/21/2010, 08:50 PM
The top of the SEC is really good. However, the middle and bottom is kinda blah. South Carolina is a weak team in the SEC.

I would much rather OU play South Carolina than Air Force.South Carolina might actually be good this year. Spurrier has recruited pretty well for some time, now, and we know he's a good coach. I'm thinking it would be a tough game for us, esp this yr.

HOWEVER, i do think our OOC schedule is FAR superior to that of the Gamecocks.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/21/2010, 08:59 PM
A South Carolina fan at work was trying to convince me that just because they play in the SEC that SC's non-conference schedule is tougher than OU's. Think think he's been smoking the SEC pipe for to long. What do you think?

SC's non-con schedule

Southern Miss > Cincy (Sorry, USM looks stronger than Cincy right now)
Furman <<<<<<<< Utah St. (Furman doesn't even register... joke)
Troy <<< Air Force (AFA would wipe Troy... no contest)
Clemson > Florida St. (I thought Howard's Rock looked pretty solid against War Eagle. We exposed FSU. I think they'll have a rough year.... not a lot of talent.)

First of all, your silly 'C*ck is offering up a crock. Ludicrous argument.

However, I don't totally agree with your breakdown...see "fixed" above...

Closer to a wash, IMO.

NorCaligator
9/21/2010, 09:09 PM
I don't know what playing in the SEC has to do with the strength of the Gamecocks' out of conference schedule. I think many SEC teams have a weak OOC schedule. Soonerboy's breakdown is pretty good. FSU just isn't that strong.

USCe does look pretty good this year; I like their receivers a lot. I think they will challenge UF for the SEC east.

starclassic tama
9/21/2010, 10:03 PM

uh no... south carolina is 12th in the country right now. they might be overrated, but as of right now they deserve that ranking and they look pretty good.

sooner ngintunr
9/21/2010, 10:10 PM

Not me. Their RB is no joke. Their D is superior to USAFA.

Curly Bill
9/21/2010, 10:13 PM
Me neither.

allanace16
9/21/2010, 10:18 PM
I still don't see how conference affiliation would inherently make one's nonconference schedule more or less difficult.

That being said I think OU's schedule is the more difficult of the two. Regardless of what Clemson showed against Auburn, I actually want to see Clemson come up on the winning side of games like that for once for them to get my respect as a legit contender. Seems like they're always acting like they're gonna turn the corner, but come up short. I think people are underselling FSU cause we gave 'em the business (see 08 TTech).

Though I must say the amateur USC seems to be legit, finally. Wondered when Spurrier was going to get them around that corner too.

KBoomer11
9/21/2010, 10:27 PM
I would much rather play South Carolina and their more conventional offense than Air Force. We beat Air Force by three at home, I think we beat SC by three touchdowns at home.

Curly Bill
9/21/2010, 10:28 PM
I would much rather play South Carolina and their more conventional offense than Air Force. We beat Air Force by three at home, I think we beat SC by three touchdowns at home.

I'd take that wager.

sooner ngintunr
9/21/2010, 10:30 PM

We'd be lucky to score 3 TD's, yet alone win by 3 TD's. We only scored 3 TD's against USAFA. Watched much football this year?

KBoomer11
9/21/2010, 10:32 PM
Wow you guys are really high on SC. Last time I saw us play a conventional offense (Florida State) we destroyed them.

Curly Bill
9/21/2010, 10:33 PM
Wow you guys are really high on SC. Last time I saw us play a conventional offense (Florida State) we destroyed them.

Not that high on SC.

Not real high on us either though. :(

KBoomer11
9/21/2010, 10:36 PM
That's fine. I'm choosing to block the Air Force game from my memory because of their offense and I'm looking forward to trouncing Cincy and Texas, then we can have this talk.

SouthCarolinaSooner
9/21/2010, 10:37 PM
The comparisons of Marcus Lattimore to Adrian Peterson and Tim Tebow on cockytalk is most entertaining :D

Its amazing what happens when a guy runs for 180 yards on 40 carries against an unproven "SEC" defense

BoulderSooner79
9/21/2010, 11:12 PM
I don't know what playing in the SEC has to do with the strength of the Gamecocks' out of conference schedule.

Bingo. The SCe fan lost me with that logic.

I do think that SC would be tougher than AFA because of their defense. Playing AFA doesn't have any magic "we never see the wishbone" explanation of why we struggled against their out-manned defense.

CarolinaSoonerFan
9/21/2010, 11:25 PM
His logic didn't make much sense to me either....If we did play them this year I think we would take them....they tend to fold and Garcia has more rhythm issues and often makes poor choices when pressured.

This guy just kept saying Carolina has one of the toughest schedules in the nation. Ask the Pokes how tough Troy is.

CarolinaSoonerFan
9/21/2010, 11:30 PM
First of all, your silly 'C*ck is offering up a crock. Ludicrous argument.

However, I don't totally agree with your breakdown...see "fixed" above...

Closer to a wash, IMO.

I think you are right about Cincy. They looked pretty bad against NC St., but then again I've only seen one game that either have played this year.

CarolinaSoonerFan
9/21/2010, 11:35 PM
The funniest part was as he was walking away he says, I figure a team that has won 7 National Championship could come up with a better schedule.

Yep, SC should know with their grand total of 0 NC.

I think winning makes it harder to get people to play you, especially at home.

Shakadoodoo
9/22/2010, 07:27 AM
Have you ever noticed how the real good athletes/teams are always humble, and are the down to earth people on the team/conference. But the ones with no skill talk all the noise as if the were the toughest athletes that ever walked on the face of the earth but in reality they can not "whip cream". That sounds like SC - I get tired of teams claiming greatness because of their so called conference as well.

KantoSooner
9/22/2010, 07:38 AM
Be gentle with him. His team has been crap for so long that even where they are now looks like 'up'. And it's probably the apex of what they'll see for some time.

jkjsooner
9/22/2010, 09:20 AM
To assert that being in the SEC makes your OOC schedule tougher is absurd.

If you want a real argument with someone who isn't a moron, try convincing an SEC homer that a touch OOC schedule can make up the difference between conference schedules within the SEC and Big 12 - especially if a team happens to have a weaker SEC schedule.

Soonermagik
9/22/2010, 09:54 AM
They are pretenders. They will be abused in the SEC.. again. OU would match up a lot better with SC than air force.

SoonerPr8r
9/22/2010, 10:13 AM
Just for reference....
http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/182.jpg

Bonehead
9/22/2010, 10:33 AM
SEC fans always think everything is better in the SEC.

I live in Georgia. The weeks leading up the 2008 NC game I had conversations like these with Georgia Bulldog fans. In all these they were dead serious.

Them: Florida will beat Oklahoma by 3 touchdowns.
Me: How do you figure?
Them: Oklahoma is too slow.
Me: Too slow? Have you seen OU play?
Them: No.
Me: What makes you think they're too slow?
Them: They don't play in the SEC.

Them: The SEC is so much better than the Big 12 Oklahoma will not know what hit them. I don't think Oklahoma could beat a single SEC team.
Me: You're kidding, right?
Them: Oklahoma could not even beat Mississippi State.
Me: So you don't think there's a single SEC team OU could beat?
Them: Vanderbilt. They might beat Vanderbilt.

So when OU held Florida to its lowest points and yardage totals of the season and had a chance to win had we not missed field goals and not forgotten about Gresham in the red zone what I heard again was this.

Them: Told you so. Told you Oklahoma was too slow. Told you they couldn't hang with an SEC team. You'll think twice about coming to SEC country to play again.

So I'm not surprised to hear a USC fan think their OOC schedule is better because they play in the SEC. You don't have to use any kind of reasoning or logic at all when you're an SEC fan.

soonerhubs
9/22/2010, 10:37 AM
Though I must say the amateur USC seems to be legit, finally.

Heh!

SCSooner71
9/22/2010, 11:09 AM
South Carolina fans are crazy...they put together a few wins then they start thinking they are national championship caliber....then they lose a few and start saying wait till next year.

badger
9/22/2010, 11:22 AM

SC's non-con schedule

Southern Miss < Cincy
Furman < Utah St.
Troy < Air Force
Clemson = Florida St.

If your co-worker was smart, he would argue that it's tougher because their conference schedule starts earlier than the Big 12's for the most part. Many teams in our conference get their non-conference cupcakes out of the way early in order to prepare for the tough conference schedule ahead.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/22/2010, 11:35 AM
Bingo. The SCe fan lost me with that logic.

I do think that SC would be tougher than AFA because of their defense. Playing AFA doesn't have any magic "we never see the wishbone" explanation of why we struggled against their out-manned defense.

Well, in fairness, I thought what was underrated about AFA was their defense, not offense.

They held BYU to 88 yards passing. I know it's a down/transition year for BYU, but 88.... That's pretty good against even lesser programs.

I heard one of the ESPN monkeys say they think AFA will give TCU a run in the MWC. It will be interesting, and a heckuva game to watch if you ask me. Their remaining challenges on their sched are Navy, TCU, and Utah. Those games on paper right now are toss ups (TCU slight edge maybe).

Wouldn't it be something if AFA were able to win out and climb into the BCS? I'd love it if one of our Service Academies achieved that.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/22/2010, 11:46 AM
South Carolina fans are crazy...they put together a few wins then they start thinking they are national championship caliber....then they lose a few and start saying wait till next year.

That is right on. The've got a lot of aTm in 'em, maybe worse. They put 80,000 butts in the seats every home game... and they've never won a danged thing. Since their inclusion in the SEC, they haven't even pulled down a division title, much less SEC. At least even aTm has a single Big XII Championship to claim.

badger
9/22/2010, 12:03 PM
The SEC really was a good fit for Texas A&M, wasn't it? You're accomplished without accomplishing anything in the S-E-C! S-E-C! :rolleyes:

Alas, they don't have the money to get out of the Big 12. Colorado doesn't either, but they probably thought the Big 12 was folding right after they left.

BoulderSooner79
9/22/2010, 12:12 PM
Well, in fairness, I thought what was underrated about AFA was their defense, not offense.

They held BYU to 88 yards passing. I know it's a down/transition year for BYU, but 88.... That's pretty good against even lesser programs.

I heard one of the ESPN monkeys say they think AFA will give TCU a run in the MWC. It will be interesting, and a heckuva game to watch if you ask me. Their remaining challenges on their sched are Navy, TCU, and Utah. Those games on paper right now are toss ups (TCU slight edge maybe).

Wouldn't it be something if AFA were able to win out and climb into the BCS? I'd love it if one of our Service Academies achieved that.

I agree the 88 yards BYU eeked out is an interesting data point. They also shut down Keenum and the Houston offense in their bowl last year. Navy has been owning the commander in chief trophy for a few years and I think AFA has a good shot this year to get it back. But it won't be due to their pass defense :)

CarolinaSoonerFan
9/22/2010, 12:43 PM
Be gentle with him. His team has been crap for so long that even where they are now looks like 'up'. And it's probably the apex of what they'll see for some time.

^ This

CarolinaSoonerFan
9/22/2010, 12:47 PM
SEC fans always think everything is better in the SEC.

I live in Georgia. The weeks leading up the 2008 NC game I had conversations like these with Georgia Bulldog fans. In all these they were dead serious.

Them: Florida will beat Oklahoma by 3 touchdowns.
Me: How do you figure?
Them: Oklahoma is too slow.
Me: Too slow? Have you seen OU play?
Them: No.
Me: What makes you think they're too slow?
Them: They don't play in the SEC.

Them: The SEC is so much better than the Big 12 Oklahoma will not know what hit them. I don't think Oklahoma could beat a single SEC team.
Me: You're kidding, right?
Them: Oklahoma could not even beat Mississippi State.
Me: So you don't think there's a single SEC team OU could beat?
Them: Vanderbilt. They might beat Vanderbilt.

So when OU held Florida to its lowest points and yardage totals of the season and had a chance to win had we not missed field goals and not forgotten about Gresham in the red zone what I heard again was this.

Them: Told you so. Told you Oklahoma was too slow. Told you they couldn't hang with an SEC team. You'll think twice about coming to SEC country to play again.

So I'm not surprised to hear a USC fan think their OOC schedule is better because they play in the SEC. You don't have to use any kind of reasoning or logic at all when you're an SEC fan.

They must have classes for this in the schools in SEC country....just sounds like so much of the stuff I hear.....I'll have to make sure to keep my boy out of class they day they go over this crap

Mississippi Sooner
9/22/2010, 12:54 PM
This is why I'm glad that, though I have to live in SEC country, east Mississippi isn't that bad.

The Bama fans I know only tend to talk about other SEC teams. They are very courteous when speaking of OU. Might have something to do with us beating them a couple of times early in the decade, but it's all good with me.

Ole Miss fans never bring up the Independence Bowl from '99. Because, seriously, who brags about an Independence Bowl win? Plus, right now they are all on suicide watch since their adopted Duck quarterback didn't turn out to be the savior they expected.

And then there are the Miss. State fans. They are realists. They know they are the Iowa State of the SEC. The only thing they really strive for is a win in the Egg Bowl.

Peach Fuzz
9/22/2010, 01:04 PM
S E C clap S E C clap S E C clap

wooooooooyaaaaaaaaaa

9/22/2010, 01:08 PM
South Carolina fans are crazy...they put together a few wins then they start thinking they are national championship caliber....then they lose a few and start saying wait till next year.That NC in baseball a couple months ago musta got 'em all goofy.

9/22/2010, 01:11 PM
That is right on. The've got a lot of aTm in 'em, maybe worse. They put 80,000 butts in the seats every home game... and they've never won a danged thing. Since their inclusion in the SEC, they haven't even pulled down a division title, much less SEC. At least even aTm has a single Big XII Championship to claim.It's in Downtown South Carolina, biggest city, center of the state, and there's no pro team.

SCSooner71
9/22/2010, 06:20 PM
That NC in baseball a couple months ago musta got 'em all goofy.

It did...for some reason they think their success in baseball will spill over into football. They announced their chicken curse was gone once their baseball team won the title.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/23/2010, 10:40 AM
It's in Downtown South Carolina, biggest city, center of the state, and there's no pro team.

Not enough of an excuse. They've shoveled crap for a century now. Yet they keep coming back for more. I mean, there's a component to that I respect. At the same time there's a more discerning vote of dissatisfaction that should be made with one's wallet. See our attendance Gibbs through Blake. People shouldn't continue to pay big bucks for gigantic piles of suckage.

9/23/2010, 12:02 PM
Not enough of an excuse. They've shoveled crap for a century now. Yet they keep coming back for more. I mean, there's a component to that I respect. At the same time there's a more discerning vote of dissatisfaction that should be made with one's wallet. See our attendance Gibbs through Blake. People shouldn't continue to pay big bucks for gigantic piles of suckage.If you've never known success, you can't recognize failure.

SCSooner71
9/23/2010, 12:28 PM
If you've never known success, you can't recognize failure.

Those are the words of a wise man!

9/23/2010, 01:12 PM
Those are the words of a wise man!Thankew. It's from absorption of tinfoil karma radiation..