PDA

View Full Version : Why can't OU play Boise State?

stoopified
9/21/2010, 04:15 PM
I know that they are deluded into thinking that they are deserving of a home-and-home series which is NOT going to happen but what about a neutral site game? Why not get agame set up in Tempe,Mile-High,Jerry World, or even the Cotton Bowl? I would think that a regular season rematch at one of those neutral locales would be a big numbers draw for the networks,sponsers,college football fans and both fanbases. If I can get through on the call-in show tonite,I will ask Bob about this.

noobalicious
9/21/2010, 04:20 PM
Because Boise wants to be the team that beat Oklahoma, not the team that beat Oklahoma and then lost to them at a neutral site a few years later.

Jacie
9/21/2010, 04:23 PM
Because Mike Leach took the only copy of Football's 100 Greatest Trick Plays and How to Defend Against Them that OUr athletic department owned with him and thus any chance Oklahoma would ever have of defeating the broncos . . .

StoopTroup
Potato or Potatoe?

Discuss.....

goingoneight
I don't buy the argument "nobody WANTS to play Boise." That suggests the big dogs like OU, who regularly schedule both major home-and-home series as well as quality mid-major programs year in, year out are somehow scared of Boise. I think BSU is just smart about when and what "big dogs" they play... like Oregon, Oregon State, Virginia Tech, Washington, etc. Something tells me they want no part of the Fock, DKR, Lincoln Memorial Stadium, etc.

badger
9/21/2010, 04:32 PM
I don't buy the argument "nobody WANTS to play Boise."

Boyzee reportedly wanted $1 million to play at Nebraska and were not willing to negotiate with home-and-home or two-and-one offers. I think they were equally stubborn with other school offers.

In a nutshell, they want to be treated like a big boy program, but want cupcake team payouts to visit other stadiums.

KantoSooner
9/21/2010, 04:38 PM
And it will only end when the so-called big boy programs start putting them in their place. Until we can put up, we'll just have to shut up.

It's the less pleasant side of football.

badger
9/21/2010, 04:50 PM
And it will only end when the so-called big boy programs start putting them in their place. Until we can put up, we'll just have to shut up.

It's the less pleasant side of football.

Or... we, as the cash cow programs, can strong arm some BCS rule changes, requiring the scheduling of quality (aka BCS conference) opponents to be considered for BCS games... or even better, to be considered for the almighty BCS poll.

Till they're forced to play more quality opponents, they are in a very desirable position.

btb916
9/21/2010, 04:52 PM
We saw what can happen when we play a good team early in the year at a neutral site last year.

No beuno.

Tigeman
9/21/2010, 05:23 PM
Boise has refused neutral site games w/ some of the biggest of the big dogs already. They like that middle of the rode team for these games AKA Va Tech this year.

SuC offered a home and home to boise 2 years ago, and they refused. I'm sure Boise would LOVE neutral site game w/ little brother or Tech, but if us or UTerus offered, they'd decline.

When Boise gets on TV and in the magazines screaming, NO ONE WILL PLAY US, I wish the likes of US, Bama, UT, SUC, etc. would get on and scream WE WILL, BUT YOU TURNED US DOWN!

I loved Saban's polite little bit*h slap to Boise! To bad he used baby powder for them!

bri
9/21/2010, 05:36 PM
Boise has the biggest con in the history of college football going right now. As several have pointed out, they've turned down home-and-home offers from some of the traditional powers in favor of series against bottom-feeders from AQ conferences. That way, when they eke past a perennially overrated program like Virgina Tech or beat the likes of Oregon State, they yell "Look, we just beat a BCS team!" And the people buy it, because the people are idiots.

47straight
9/21/2010, 05:40 PM
F Boise. let their AD whine and moan and ask for congressional help.

royalfan5
9/21/2010, 06:13 PM
Boyzee reportedly wanted $1 million to play at Nebraska and were not willing to negotiate with home-and-home or two-and-one offers. I think they were equally stubborn with other school offers.

In a nutshell, they want to be treated like a big boy program, but want cupcake team payouts to visit other stadiums.

Boise wanted 1 million or a home and home. Nebraska said no on both, but counter offered a 2 for 1 seven years down the road. Boise is taking 900K to open at Ole Miss next year instead. As an aside, Colorado is getting 1.4 million to take a one off at Ohio State next year.

MR2-Sooner86
9/21/2010, 07:08 PM
I hate Boise State.

That is all.

Breadburner
9/21/2010, 07:18 PM
I think we have offered them a home and home and they refused.....

Breadburner
9/21/2010, 07:19 PM
We saw what can happen when we play a good team early in the year at a neutral site last year.

No beuno.

That game has Zero bearing on anything.....

Salt City Sooner
9/21/2010, 07:34 PM
Joe C. offered them a 2 for 1 about a month after the Fiesta Bowl. They never said a peep in response.

SCSooner71
9/21/2010, 07:38 PM
We would destroy them in Norman and on their little smurf turf.

btb916
9/21/2010, 09:44 PM
That game has Zero bearing on anything.....

Why? I think it's quite relevant. Go ask Stoops if he wants to (a) play on a neutral field (b) against a good team (c) early in the season ever again. I doubt he says "yeah."

Husker In Oklahoma
9/21/2010, 10:28 PM

Here is the biggest problem for BSU getting big tiome schools to come to thier place. THERE STADIUM IS TO SMALL. Only around 40k or so. They can't pay enough money to get someone of stature to play there. They don't have the cash.

Husker In Oklahoma
9/21/2010, 10:32 PM

I doubt OU offered Boise a home and home. Maybe a 2-1, but not a home and home, no way.

bri
9/21/2010, 10:57 PM
We regularly schedule home-and-homes with the University of Tulsa, a program with a stadium that seats even less than Boise State's place. Money is not an issue; Boise State not wanting to be called on their bluff is.

rawlingsHOH
9/21/2010, 11:02 PM
2-for-1s

Big D Sooner
9/21/2010, 11:07 PM
On a somewhat related note (b/c it's about Boise State) why in the **** is gameday in Boise this week. The freaking #1 and #12 teams are playing in a conference match-up (Bama and Arky). I swear these arsehats are going to keep pumping Boise until we all start believing that somehow winning the pillowfight called the WAC is some sort of freaking accomplishment.

unbiasedtruth
9/22/2010, 05:14 AM
simple Big D..... ESPN is in favor of a playoff versus the bowl games, that is why they support Boise State so much, they are the annoited ones to "break the BCS" bowl games.

not to mention a 20 something game winning streak and a 50 something home game winning streak.... the home game winning streak is the longest in the nation, not sure ab out their 20 something game winning streak....

soonerhubs
9/22/2010, 05:14 AM
I've a relative who is a BSU fan, and I'd love to rub some of these facts in his face. Any links? Sources of these efforts by Nebbish or others? TIA

Shakadoodoo
9/22/2010, 06:50 AM
I've a relative who is a BSU fan, and I'd love to rub some of these facts in his face. Any links? Sources of these efforts by Nebbish or others? TIA

I would like to see those links as well - If that is true they need to be exposed!

Theskipster
9/22/2010, 07:18 AM
http://omaha.com/article/20100908/SPORTS/709089803/0#

rawlingsHOH
9/22/2010, 08:17 AM
simple Big D..... ESPN is in favor of a playoff versus the bowl games, that is why they support Boise State so much, they are the annoited ones to "break the BCS" bowl games.

not to mention a 20 something game winning streak and a 50 something home game winning streak.... the home game winning streak is the longest in the nation, not sure ab out their 20 something game winning streak....

They have neither.

Phil
9/22/2010, 08:49 AM
We regularly schedule home-and-homes with the University of Tulsa, a program with a stadium that seats even less than Boise State's place. Money is not an issue; Boise State not wanting to be called on their bluff is.

Negative. We have never scheduled a home and home with Tulsa to my knowledge. Always at least 2 for 1. In any event, playing in Tulsa is just another home game for us anyway. Not the same thing.

stoopified
9/22/2010, 01:13 PM
Why? I think it's quite relevant. Go ask Stoops if he wants to (a) play on a neutral field (b) against a good team (c) early in the season ever again. I doubt he says "yeah."Ithink he would say - not in the first gameof the year especially if we are minus OUr Heisman winning qb by halftime and OUr All-American TE doesn't play at all. What I recall reading in the OK(FWIW) is we offered BSU a 2-1 deal and were turned down fklat.

stoopified
9/22/2010, 01:19 PM
BTW I didn't get a chance to call Bob last nite,my wife decided we needed to make an urgent trip to Walmart and wedidn't get out of there until 815. I'll try next week.

badger
9/22/2010, 01:44 PM
Negative. We have never scheduled a home and home with Tulsa to my knowledge. Always at least 2 for 1. In any event, playing in Tulsa is just another home game for us anyway. Not the same thing.

Poor Tulsa - got added to ESPN.com Bottom 10's "waiting list" after starting the season with a 1-2 record. They don't suck, they just incredibly unlucky against the ECU Pirates.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2010, 01:46 PM
honest question:

2010 season, Boise and OU play in the 1st game on a neutral field..who would have won?

I'll take my answer off the air.

pac10SUX
9/22/2010, 01:54 PM
On a somewhat related note (b/c it's about Boise State) why in the **** is gameday in Boise this week. The freaking #1 and #12 teams are playing in a conference match-up (Bama and Arky). I swear these arsehats are going to keep pumping Boise until we all start believing that somehow winning the pillowfight called the WAC is some sort of freaking accomplishment.

Rarely will ESPN/ABC have Gameday at a CBS Broadcast.

soonerhubs
9/22/2010, 02:19 PM
http://omaha.com/article/20100908/SPORTS/709089803/0#

Thanks for the link. Not seeing any verification of the OU rumors though. Anyone have that?

starclassic tama
9/22/2010, 02:45 PM
honest question:

2010 season, Boise and OU play in the 1st game on a neutral field..who would have won?

I'll take my answer off the air.

assuming OU played like they did against utah state and boise played like they did against virginia tech, boise obviously. but i have a sneaking suspicions we would have shown up and played a lot more like we did against FSU if we were playing boise in the first game...

goingoneight
9/22/2010, 02:56 PM
Joe C. offered them a 2 for 1 about a month after the Fiesta Bowl. They never said a peep in response.

Even as high as they might have been after the Fiesta Bowl win, they couldn't have been THAT dumb to think we'd be so average every year. I think the 2007 or 2008 team would have drilled them so badly it would have made their heads spin and their Fiesta Bowl trophy disentigrate. Mostly because the offense was nowhere near in 2006 what it would be with Sam, a healthy MK and a year later Ryan Broyles.

Tigeman
9/22/2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the link. Not seeing any verification of the OU rumors though. Anyone have that?

Not rumors, I remember lots of talk about that. Also the SuC deal. It's just been a longggg time since those deals and they weren't exactly headline news back then so finding stuff might be tough.

Salt City Sooner
9/22/2010, 03:38 PM
I remember reading about it in either the DOK or the TW when it happened. If you feel like digging through the archives, I'd have to think it's still there.

btb916
9/22/2010, 04:15 PM
BTW I didn't get a chance to call Bob last nite,my wife decided we needed to make an urgent trip to Walmart and wedidn't get out of there until 815. I'll try next week.

Bob usually calls me every other night, so I'll ask him later on.

Seriously though, I think it's relevant because most coaches (and I assume Coach Stoops) would rather play easier games at the beginning of the season at home. Maybe I'm wrong. But these coaches have so much stress as it is, and a difficult game right at the beginning adds quite a bit to that.

It's smarter to play at home against easier teams early in the season. It's less likely that something will go wrong, although you can never rule out injuries. But would our o-line have given up such a sack last year against a team the caliber of the UCO Bronchos? I doubt it.

soonerhubs
9/25/2010, 01:53 PM
I remember reading about it in either the DOK or the TW when it happened. If you feel like digging through the archives, I'd have to think it's still there.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/09/06/mandel.overtime/index.html

This is about all I could find.

soonerhubs
9/25/2010, 02:32 PM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/227890-bama-ad-boise-state-hasnt-called?eref=fromSI